PDA

View Full Version : Proclaimers on Talksport at 11:00

StevieT
08-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted but the Proclaimers will be on Talksport at 11:00 talking Hibs and Sunshine on Leith

hibsmad
08-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Should be well worth a listen.

Colin Murray - "Hibs fans singing Sunshine On Leith is the most beautiful moment in football"

Smartie
08-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Colin Murray - "Hibs fans singing Sunshine On Leith is the most beautiful moment in football"

I think we could and should sing it better.

It sounds great when everyone joins in at the chorus but the rest of it is a bit crap.

The rendition of SoL when we finally win the Scottish Cup should be one of the finest footballing moments of all time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Just booked up to go and see them in Carlisle on the 24th, should be good.

hibsmad
08-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I think he is referring more to the fact that it is a beautiful song that works great when football fans sing it. Undoubtedly there have been occasions at league matches when it could have been done far better. However after the '07 cup final was superb. Watching it back on TV, when they cut away from Murphy and Whitaker being interviewed gives me goosebumps.

No other fans have that song so it is unique to us and something to be proud of. Whether it is done perfectly every time or not.

Mcpakeisgod
08-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Frank sauzee & billy bremner are the proclaimers favourites, a good listen so far

1875er
08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Brilliant so far and they have just played the clip of the League Cup Final song.

Jim44
08-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Frank sauzee & billy bremner are the proclaimers favourites, a good listen so far

I'm not sure where Billy Bremner comes into the 'favourites' category but, no doubt, they will have their reasons. My abiding memory of Bremner was the OTT negativity that Leeds adopted in the European match to kill the game at ER. His time wasting tactics and, basically, disrespect for Hibs was pathetic. I suppose some folk might have admired the success of that approach.

1875er
08-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Brilliant caller with a hilarious Proclaimers story....:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink :

Oscar T Grouch
08-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Will this be available on any sort of iplayer thingy for those of us at work while it was on?

1875er
08-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Will this be available on any sort of iplayer thingy for those of us at work while it was on?

They have a podcast that should be available later today.

southsider
08-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure where Billy Bremner comes into the 'favourites' category but, no doubt, they will have their reasons. My abiding memory of Bremner was the OTT negativity that Leeds adopted in the European match to kill the game at ER. His time wasting tactics and, basically, disrespect for Hibs was pathetic. I suppose some folk might have admired the success of that approach.
BB was, early in his Leeds career, homesick and not in the first team. Our then manager Bob Shankley bid around £20,000 for him and he was very keen to come. Leeds then upped the price and the deal fell through. Imagine him and Pat in the same team !

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 01:28 PM

:not worth:not worth

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 01:30 PM

Got to be said I think Bremners performance in the game at ER when we lost on penalties was IMO one of the best individual performances that I have ever seen. He was the reason they won and he held the Leeds team together big time that night.

Iggy Pope
08-10-2015, 02:57 PM

Billy Bremner was all over the papers the following morning saying Hibs were the best in Britain. I don't recall him disrespecting us (young and avid observer that I was) other than him being an obnoxious little **** on the park. As he was all the time.

bigwheel
08-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Billy Bremner was all over the papers the following morning saying Hibs were the best in Britain. I don't recall him disrespecting us (young and avid observer that I was) other than him being an obnoxious little **** on the park. As he was all the time.

I love posts like this...isn't it amazing that someone can recall the morning papers after a game in the early 70s ! Only football does that - magic!

Iggy Pope
08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
I love posts like this...isn't it amazing that someone can recall the morning papers after a game in the early 70s ! Only football does that - magic!

I recall it doubly well. I worked at A shop fitter for years and the French polisher (Jimmy Gillies) was a brilliant Hibby who had the back page of one paper stuck to the wall of the Polishing Shop for years.
I might even have a photocopy of the cutting somewhere.

bigwheel
08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
I recall it doubly well. I worked at A shop fitter for years and the French polisher (Jimmy Gillies) was a brilliant Hibby who had the back page of one paper stuck to the wall of the Polishing Shop for years.

I think stories like that are great!

Iggy Pope
08-10-2015, 03:18 PM
I think stories like that are great!

There is already a book full of such stories published and I know the author is preparing a follow up.
He's on here somewhere.
:wink:
(not me by the way).
#weareHibernianfc

bigwheel
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
There is already a book full of such stories published and I know the author is preparing a follow up.
He's on here somewhere.
(not me by the way).
#weareHibernianfc

yes I loved that book...knew a few of the characters...great little read...

wearehibernian
08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
He's on here somewhere.
(not me by the way).
#weareHibernianfc

Aye I know a shameless plug opportunity when its presented!
Quite interesting on this topic that many folk in the book have such different opinions on Bremner as well... All remember him though, that is for sure!

Have just put a new facebook page up for the book here:https://www.facebook.com/wearehibernian - So please go like and share if you get a chance.

:flag:

brog
08-10-2015, 04:53 PM

I was privileged to have a long conversation with BB re that famous game after Gordon Hunter's testimonial dinner. He was very drunk but very honest. Said Hibs were a fine team but ironically his great performance came from (initially ) not really caring if they, Leeds, won or lost. Revie considered the UEFA Cup a distraction & thought they had no chance after we ripped them apart at Elland Road. Billy said he did things & took chances in a way he never did before or after & everything came off for him. Just our luck as usual I suppose! I still think of Tony Higgins heading over the bar in the last minute at Leeds!

Jim44
08-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Got to be said I think Bremners performance in the game at ER when we lost on penalties was IMO one of the best individual performances that I have ever seen. He was the reason they won and he held the Leeds team together big time that night.

I didn't mean he disrespected us by saying anything. Like you, I was cheesed off with his on field antics and again, I did say that some folk might have been impressed by this approach. I got so frustrated with him taking the ball in our half and running back to his goalkeeper and running from one shy line to the other. Sitting on the ball, a la Jim Baxter was another antic that angered me. I can understand why some liked what he was doing but, as a young supporter who enjoyed fast, direct football, he turned me off that night. Never liked him or Leeds after that. Just a personal viewpoint.

Famous Fiver
08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Back on topic.

Just played the 2007 final rendition of Sunshine on Leith. Fair cheered me up. Can't wait for the next time.

Oh and I also thought Bremner was a right wee s***e that night.

Hamish
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

It sounds great when everyone joins in at the chorus but the rest of it is a bit crap.

The rendition of SoL when we finally win the Scottish Cup should be one of the finest footballing moments of all time.

I reckon there would be too many folk greetin

Leithenhibby
08-10-2015, 07:43 PM

It will be, I'm sure of that :wink:

eastterrace
08-10-2015, 09:15 PM
I was privileged to have a long conversation with BB re that famous game after Gordon Hunter's testimonial dinner. He was very drunk but very honest. Said Hibs were a fine team but ironically his great performance came from (initially ) not really caring if they, Leeds, won or lost. Revie considered the UEFA Cup a distraction & thought they had no chance after we ripped them apart at Elland Road. Billy said he did things & took chances in a way he never did before or after & everything came off for him. Just our luck as usual I suppose! I still think of Tony Higgins heading over the bar in the last minute at Leeds!

i was right behind the goal when tony headed over from just about under the bar at elland road. useless big donut

greenginger
08-10-2015, 09:44 PM
i was right behind the goal when tony headed over from just about under the bar at elland road. useless big donut

I was there too and I'm sure he took it off Alan Gordon's forehead. I don't think Alan would have missed it.

Forza Fred
09-10-2015, 03:05 AM

I always liked the quote given on an old video about Tony Higgins where he was described as being like :

A Lighthouse in the Desert.

Brilliant at times, but totally useless!

Auckland Hibs
09-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Back on topic.

Just played the 2007 final rendition of Sunshine on Leith. Fair cheered me up. Can't wait for the next time.

Oh and I also thought Bremner was a right wee s***e that night.

Always brings a wee lump to the throat when I watch it on Youtube (fair play to the BBC who stopped the interviews to show us singing) - one of my greatest days being a Hibs fan, walking up to the stadium with the snow falling & it finished with the greatest rendition of Sunshine on Leith ever.

BroxburnHibee
09-10-2015, 01:02 PM

I'm now intrigued as to who you are now - I was Jimmy's apprentice many moons ago and remember those cuttings on the wall well.

brog
09-10-2015, 04:23 PM
I was there too and I'm sure he took it off Alan Gordon's forehead. I don't think Alan would have missed it.

He did indeed take it off Alan's head. Years later I asked Alan if he'd called. He said no, never crossed anyone's mind that Tony could actually jump & head the ball!