PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Manager succession plan?

Dalkeith Boy
07-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know if Leann Dempster has a succession plan in place now for the main management team of Stubbs and his assistants?

Scouse Hibee
07-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know if Leann Dempster has a succession plan in place now for the main management team of Stubbs and his assistants?

Does any football club have such a thing?Highly unlikely I would have thought with regard to having a name, a criteria yes, but that's about it.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2015, 09:31 PM

I think the short answer is yes. LD has put in place a mechanism to ensure the current set up would be taken over by someone that fits the bill. That's not to say she has names in mind, with Stubbs going nowhere :wink:

Mr White
07-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I think the idea is that the current structure can cope with a change of head coach and assistants better than the traditional structure where a manager leaving disrupts things a lot more. Presumably the recruitment process for stubbs successor when the time comes, will be based upon looking for the best candidate to slot into the club and work with leeann dempster, george craig and graham mathie in the same way stubbs does. This is something leeann managed well when craig brown left motherwell and stuart Mccall was selected to be head coach.

Edit- Jonnyboy said much the same thing but with a lot less words. That guy should write a book, he'd be good at it :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I think the idea is that the current structure can cope with a change of head coach and assistants better than the traditional structure where a manager leaving disrupts things a lot more. Presumably the recruitment process for stubbs successor when the time comes, will be based upon looking for the best candidate to slot into the club and work with leeann dempster, george craig and graham mathie in the same way stubbs does. This is something leeann managed well when craig brown left motherwell and stuart Mccall was selected to be head coach.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say .......... you put it much better :thumbsup:

Ronniekirk
07-10-2015, 09:42 PM

Thankfully we don't need one right now as he is staying put .Think Leeann is shrewd enough to plan ahead in lots of aspects of running the club ,but you never know when a manager might be approached and accept another job ,so would be hard to do with any certainty ,but would think she will be aware of what type of manager she wants to bring in when the time comes ,and who is out there ,but she would assume he will be here till the end of the season ,but be aware if he takes us up other clubs could come calling .
Other clubs seem to be able to keep good managers but every time we get one ,there just seems constant speculation as soon as they start doing well

Jonnyboy
07-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Edit- Jonnyboy said much the same thing but with a lot less words. That guy should write a book, he'd be good at it :greengrin

Just read your edit :greengrin Might give it a try :greengrin

PatHead
07-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Leeann said as much when she arrived. Suppose a bit like the Swansea model.

Manager fits structure rather than creates it.

Mr White
07-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Just read your edit :greengrin Might give it a try :greengrin

Well if it happens to be about the famous outside left, I'll buy a copy :wink:

bingo70
07-10-2015, 10:27 PM
I reckon there's a chance that's how we attracted John doolan from a similar job in the championship.

Absolute guesswork obviously but wouldn't surprise me if he's our next manager, assuming Stubbs leaves on good terms of course and isn't sacked.

Eyrie
07-10-2015, 10:49 PM
I would expect that part of George Craig's remit is to keep an eye on young managers and coaches to see who has promise and would be a good fit for Hibs so that we've already done our homework when Stubbs moves on. He will eventually because no manager lasts forever, so let's hope that his departure is because a wealthy club is willing to pay compensation to get the man who has improved Hibs.

Godsahibby
08-10-2015, 06:05 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

AndyM_1875
08-10-2015, 08:13 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

I like Gary Neville, he talks a lot on sense. For those who are interested I'd heartily recommend Graham Hunter's series of Big Interview Podcasts where he interviews many of football's big names including Gary Neville (also Gordon Strachan, Charlie Nicholas, Jamie Carragher etc).

Back to the point I agree that we now have the structure. The manager has to fit into it. As a club Hibs are placed for the modern era, the days of the old school manager as far as we are concerned are now gone. When Leeann interviewed Butcher after relegation it would have been a fait accompli that he was going to be jottered. Not just because of his awful record but also on the fact that there is no way an old dinosaur like him could fit into or work to the modern structure she was putting in place.

Brightside
08-10-2015, 08:50 AM

Yes - its me.

FranckSuzy
08-10-2015, 08:53 AM

I would bleeping well hope so otherwise we've not learned anything! Saying that, I don't think Stubbs and co are going anywhere soon :wink: :pray:

Brightside
08-10-2015, 08:55 AM
I reckon there's a chance that's how we attracted John doolan from a similar job in the championship.

Absolute guesswork obviously but wouldn't surprise me if he's our next manager, assuming Stubbs leaves on good terms of course and isn't sacked.

Spent some time in his company.. He would be an ideal next manager for us. BUT i imagine Stubbs would want to keep him

Dan Sarf
08-10-2015, 09:48 AM

I hate the idea of science and statistics taking over from the experience and gut feelings of the traditional, inspirational manager. But this article convinced me that those days are gone.

Mind you, what would Cloughie have said?

Brightside
08-10-2015, 09:54 AM
I hate the idea of science and statistics taking over from the experience and gut feelings of the traditional, inspirational manager. But this article convinced me that those days are gone.

Mind you, what would Cloughie have said?

Lennon got rid of all the analytics guys at Bolton. He really is a tube.

Smartie
08-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I like Gary Neville, he talks a lot on sense. For those who are interested I'd heartily recommend Graham Hunter's series of Big Interview Podcasts where he interviews many of football's big names including Gary Neville (also Gordon Strachan, Charlie Nicholas, Jamie Carragher etc).

Back to the point I agree that we now have the structure. The manager has to fit into it. As a club Hibs are placed for the modern era, the days of the old school manager as far as we are concerned are now gone. When Leeann interviewed Butcher after relegation it would have been a fait accompli that he was going to be jottered. Not just because of his awful record but also on the fact that there is no way an old dinosaur like him could fit into or work to the modern structure she was putting in place.

That's a great article.

I didn't want to like Gary Neville but I do. Talks sense and has a very good way of getting his points over without being patronising.

scoopyboy
08-10-2015, 10:05 AM
If I owned Hibs I would know every single day who I wanted the next manager to be.

If you have a great manager you will lose him and he will need to be replaced.

If you have a crap manager you will get shot of him and he will need to be replaced.

Without knowing I would reckon Hibs will be keeping an eye on other managers as possible replacements, IMO they would be mad not to.

Dalkeith Boy
08-10-2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.......sounds like we have a solid structure in place, on which we can keep the club going forward in a positive and successful direction

Godsahibby
08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Another interesting take on the change in clubs structure and succession planning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11916075/Liverpools-fabled-transfer-committee-is-not-the-problem-just-ask-Southampton-or-Swansea.html