PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow

Sylar
07-10-2015, 05:29 PM
After a couple of years in exile, I've been offered a job in Glasgow and will be moving back to Scotland in the New Year.

Glasgow isn't a city I've spent a lot of time in so I was wondering what areas people might recommend for living in?

Hoping for somewhere quite, close to the centre and in a nice area that isn't going to cost me the earth!

Jim44
07-10-2015, 05:44 PM
After a couple of years in exile, I've been offered a job in Glasgow and will be moving back to Scotland in the New Year.

Glasgow isn't a city I've spent a lot of time in so I was wondering what areas people might recommend for living in?

Hoping for somewhere quite, close to the centre and in a nice area that isn't going to cost me the earth!

As a Leither, I never had much time for Glasgow, until my kids went to University there. I got to know it reasonably well and in fact really enjoyed the several years I was regularly there. The West end has some really nice properties which I suspect may be generally a bit pricy and parts of the Southside are nice. My daughter had a cracking flat in Queens Park Drive opposite the park itself.

Hiber-nation
07-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Depends what you are after and what price range obviously, but if you're after a flat, the part of the South side around Nithsdale Road/Glencairn Drive/Terregles Ave is nice and 2 stations in the near vicinity that will have you down in Central Station in no time.

s.a.m
07-10-2015, 06:21 PM
There's an excellent train network serving many of the residential parts of Glasgow, so some places that aren't very central as the crow flies are actually within easy striking distance in no time. I don't know the city at all well, but spent a week on the Southside last year, and was struck by how accessible it is. And peaceful compared to the centre of town!

Hannah_hfc
07-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Shawlands is quite a decent area. Has everything you need for shops, a couple of pubs, excellent transport links into town and reasonably priced for flats! Can't fault the area much.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
07-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Mingavie, pronounced Mullguy. Uddingston. Lenzie. Lots and lots of new houses going up at Croy, thats ten minutes from the city centre by train. Lenzie is about 7 minutes away and Uddingston is 10 minutes away. Milngavie is in Glasgow itself i think, it has its own station and a train every 10-15 minutes

rodhibs55
08-10-2015, 07:44 AM

Stay in Edinburgh (East Side) and commute.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Speaking with 1st hand experience this would be the last thing I would recommend.

Adding approximately 2.5 hours to every working day as travel is just not worth it imo. If you have a real burning desire to stay in Edinburgh then it's probably bearable but it just made me miserable. Glasgow is a great city with loads of nice places to live, having Edinburgh close by is brilliant from a leisure point of view but as a daily commute it's a total chore.

bigwheel
08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Speaking with 1st hand experience this would be the last thing I would recommend.

Adding approximately 2.5 hours to every working day as travel is just not worth it imo. If you have a real burning desire to stay in Edinburgh then it's probably bearable but it just made me miserable. Glasgow is a great city with loads of nice places to live, having Edinburgh close by is brilliant from a leisure point of view but as a daily commute it's a total chore.

agree with all these points..Glasgow is a great city - quite different in many ways from Edinburgh - has it's own magic...I loved the West End in particular -personally, my type of place - others will love other parts...

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Oof! I travel to the West End at least once a week,I would dread the thought of a commute every day.

Dinkydoo
08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
I live a 20 minute walk from Central station by Glasgow Green - just down from Glasgow Cross. It's a nice area with reasonably priced flats and isn't particularly noisey either. Might be worth looking into depending on what you're looking for and where you'll be working

Betty Boop
08-10-2015, 05:54 PM
agree with all these points..Glasgow is a great city - quite different in many ways from Edinburgh - has it's own magic...I loved the West End in particular -personally, my type of place - others will love other parts...
:agree: Love the West End, Byres Road a particular favourite.

DH1875
08-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Sack that. Tried to do that in the opposite direction and it is the stuff of nightmares.

DH1875
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Alright bud, Glasgow Eh? Thought you were looking at going back to the states? Glasgow is a fantastic city to stay in. Like others have said, it has so much to offer and has something for everyone. House prices very a lot just like every other city and would really depend on your budget and if your after a house or a flat. Are you gonna be working in the city centre? Public transport here is pretty good so wouldn't say it's a must to be fair. Up to you but if you want to drop me a pm we can try and help you. My Mrs works in the conveyancing dept of a big city centre lawyers here and deals with a lot of people buying and selling houses and is in contact with the GSPC every day :aok:.

Plus side in moving to Glasgow is you can invite me round to watch Buckeyes win when we play your lot :greengrin and if you can get the Monday off after the Super Bowl the drinks are on me :thumbsup:.

rodhibs55
09-10-2015, 08:09 AM

A bit tongue in cheek there guys. I actually worked in the north side of Glasgow for 9 years commuting every day. As Pretty Boy says, it does add approx. 2.5 hrs onto you day. Some people can put up with this, (chance to wind down on the drive home), some people can't, up to the individual I suppose.
Both cities are good and have their own individual vibe, but I know what one is the Capital.