PDA

View Full Version : how long can you be in the huff with your football team?

Hakim Sar
04-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Not looking for a pat on the back here. Just want to keep some momentum for the club and HSL.

I've barely been to see hibs since calderwood/fenlon blah blah blah.

Sometimes you just have to say to yourself who does your cream puff benefit? Answer is nobody.

So I've signed up to HSL. I like what Leanne Dempster is working on I think she is fantastic. While I don't have a season ticket I am going to start paying at the gate again and this time we have a new recruit, my 7 year old nephew who is now hibs daft, has the strip and training gear, and is desperate to see Dominic Malonga score for hibs live in the flesh.

So add 2 back to the the cause. Please no sarcasm I've had my reasons for being angry at the club for the last 4 years. This is merely an attempt to galvanise.

Just Alf
04-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Not looking for a pat on the back here. Just want to keep some momentum for the club and HSL.

Sometimes you just have to say to yourself who does your cream puff benefit? Answer is nobody.

So I've signed up to HSL. I like what Leanne Dempster is working on I think she is fantastic. While I don't have a season ticket I am going to start paying at the gate again and this time we have a new recruit, my 7 year old nephew who is now hibs daft, has the strip and training gear, and is desperate to see Dominic Malonga score for hibs live in the flesh.

So add 2 back to the the cause. Please no sarcasm I've had my reasons for being angry at the club for the last 4 years. This is merely an attempt to galvanise.

:top marks

:flag:

PatHead
04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Welcome back but no if you dress like you are in your avatar!

ben johnson
04-10-2015, 11:37 AM

Great news and especially pleased to hear a seven year old coming along as well. Attendances need to be upped in the short term but we must look to the future and get youngsters involved with Hibs for there to be a future. I have written before about my daughter getting pelters in the playground over her being a Hibs girl and with things looking up its time to get more adults and children involved. If wee Finley Insall at 3 years old can get down to Dumfries then hopefully more supporters can get to ER.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
It's about time folk stopped moaning and now that the club is doing its best got back and supported it. I've been to several games this season after not going for a while as I feel they now deserve the support.
Recent attendances are a total embarrassment, maybe if we backed the team they would find getting out of this league easier.

We have a 20000 seater stadium in the capital of Scotland. How can't we fill that every week, at least 15000.

Why are we so badly supported, I don't get it anymore. I understand why previously, as we were not doing anything to encourage the fans butt about midway through last season we should all have been back.

NAE NOOKIE
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

Sir David Gray
04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I honestly don't know what more the club can do to encourage people to come back.

We now have a true leader in charge of the football side of things in Leeann Dempster, she is one of the best things to have happened to Hibs in recent years.

We also have a manager in Alan Stubbs who is worth supporting and we have a good bunch of players who are honest and hard working and are also worth getting behind.

If people can afford to go and have no other work/family commitments then they should be getting themselves along to games every week.

heretoday
04-10-2015, 03:25 PM
They are bloody awful in general I agree. I think Hibs went a bit downhill approx eight years ago and never recovered.

All is not yet lost but it's a close thing.

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2015, 03:25 PM
I honestly don't know what more the club can do to encourage people to come back.

We now have a true leader in charge of the football side of things in Leeann Dempster, she is one of the best things to have happened to Hibs in recent years.

We also have a manager in Alan Stubbs who is worth supporting and we have a good bunch of players who are honest and hard working and are also worth getting behind.

If people can afford to go and have no other work/family commitments then they should be getting themselves along to games every week.

Once you get out of the football habit and find other things to do in your life that you realise are far more enjoyable, it's difficult to turn back.

Lago
04-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Once you get out of the football habit and find other things to do in your life that you realise are far more enjoyable, it's difficult to turn back.
As an ex season ticket holder I totally agree, once your out of the habit you tend not to return. Sad but true.

leggeto
04-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Take your nephew to the famous five lower and if Dom is a sub he always heads to the kids for photos and autographs

emerald green
04-10-2015, 06:58 PM
It's about time folk stopped moaning and now that the club is doing its best got back and supported it. I've been to several games this season after not going for a while as I feel they now deserve the support.
Recent attendances are a total embarrassment, maybe if we backed the team they would find getting out of this league easier.

We have a 20000 seater stadium in the capital of Scotland. How can't we fill that every week, at least 15000.

Why are we so badly supported, I don't get it anymore. I understand why previously, as we were not doing anything to encourage the fans butt about midway through last season we should all have been back.

The bit in bold - sorry but you must be joking surely? Presumably you mean at least 15,000 home fans every week whilst Hibs are playing in the second tier of Scottish football, watching just about every team that comes to ER playing boring, negative, ultra-defensive, so-called football?

I'm not even going to mention the cost of paying to watch that stuff.

Furthermore, the manner in which Hibs were relegated caused a huge disconnect between a significant number of the fanbase and the club. I personally know a number of lapsed supporters.

Much is being done, and has been done, by the club under Leeann Dempster to repair the damage caused by the mismanagement of others but it will take a while to repair that damage. Ultimately it means getting promotion. Even then, I would be surprised if Hibs will attract 15,000 to every home fixture. I don't think Hibs were even getting that the year they last won the League Cup with a good team playing attractive football.

Taking everything into account, especially where Hibs find themselves for a second consecutive season, I don't think Hibs are all that badly supported when one looks at attendances at most other clubs these days. Yes, the potential is there to increase attendances at ER, but realism has to come into play somewhere.

matty_f
04-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Fantastic!

The more of us there are, the better we are.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 07:12 PM
The bit in bold - sorry but you must be joking surely? Presumably you mean at least 15,000 home fans every week whilst Hibs are playing in the second tier of Scottish football, watching just about every team that comes to ER playing boring, negative, ultra-defensive, so-called football?

I'm not even going to mention the cost of paying to watch that stuff.

Furthermore, the manner in which Hibs were relegated caused a huge disconnect between a significant number of the fanbase and the club. I personally know a number of lapsed supporters.

Much is being done, and has been done, by the club under Leeann Dempster to repair the damage caused by the mismanagement of others but it will take a while to repair that damage. Ultimately it means getting promotion. Even then, I would be surprised if Hibs will attract 15,000 to every home fixture. I don't think Hibs were even getting that the year they last won the League Cup with a good team playing attractive football.

Taking everything into account, especially where Hibs find themselves for a second consecutive season, I don't think Hibs are all that badly supported when one looks at attendances at most other clubs these days. Yes, the potential is there to increase attendances at ER, but realism has to come into play somewhere.

Yeah I get that, we as supporters have had the complete p*ss taken out of us and I am in that category of supporters who stopped even going because of this.

The way we went down was a disgrace and basically summed up how we were run after we won the cis back in 07.

But it also shows that of the 30000 plus fans there that day we can't even get 10000 to turn up when we are now playing well and getting run well, it's sad times.

Are we as big as we think? Look at hearts, they have been run worse and went down and still sell far more than is.

The supporters now have to start taking some responsibility.

I mean fair enough against st mirren etc but we should be selling out against the Huns ffs.

Really is sad times, and it shouldn't be.

jabis
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Yeah I get that, we as supporters have had the complete p*ss taken out of us and I am in that category of supporters who stopped even going because of this.

The way we went down was a disgrace and basically summed up how we were run after we won the cis back in 07.

But it also shows that of the 30000 plus fans there that day we can't even get 10000 to turn up when we are now playing well and getting run well, it's sad times.

Are we as big as we think? Look at hearts, they have been run worse and went down and still sell far more than is.

I mean fair enough against st mirren etc but we should be selling out against the Huns ffs.

And yet another positive thread gets taken down the tubes.
Cheers

emerald green
04-10-2015, 07:33 PM

Yes, Hibs probably has the 4th or 5th biggest fanbase in Scotland. Actual attendances though (which is not the same thing of course) usually depend on how well a club is performing and getting good results.

I don't want to "look at Hearts" TBH because I don't really give a s*** what they do. All I'll say is their situation following their relegation due to a points deduction following going into administration is/was entirely different to Hibs. Their supporters really had little choice other than to buy season tickets and DDs in very large numbers or risk seeing their club vanish. They also then went on a winning run that nobody really foresaw and were promoted. I can recall HMFC getting gates of 3,000.

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"?

givescotlandfreedom
04-10-2015, 07:40 PM
The longer Stubbs and Dempster are punished for the actions of predecessors, the longer we'll be in this league. An irony lost on those who would rather moan than see us succeed. Tin hat welded on.

high bee
04-10-2015, 07:44 PM

We need to stop comparing us with teams in totally different circumstances.

Look at our crowds when we had Riordan, Fletch and the likes. We are on the right track but let's worry when our crowds are this low when we're winning cups and challenging for Europe.

Look at Aberdeen a few years ago compared to now. Hearts have the crowds cause they were on the brink of extinction and it was their time of need and they have been riding the crest of the wave for the last year, we would do the same.

stoneyburn hibs
04-10-2015, 07:47 PM
The longer Stubbs and Dempster are punished for the actions of predecessors, the longer we'll be in this league. An irony lost on those who would rather moan than see us succeed. Tin hat welded on.

No tin hat needed. Agree 100%, well said.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 07:49 PM
We need to stop comparing us with teams in totally different circumstances.

Look at our crowds when we had Riordan, Fletch and the likes. We are on the right track but let's worry when our crowds are this low when we're winning cups and challenging for Europe.

Look at Aberdeen a few years ago compared to now. Hearts have the crowds cause they were on the brink of extinction and it was their time of need and they have been riding the crest of the wave for the last year, we would do the same.

But we are now in a great position off the park and on it with a good team playing good football.

We should be selling out v the Rangers. The fans need to support the team. I mean do our fans want us to win the league or not? They will have there end sold out, so should we. I'm hoping if we win that providing we win up til then we will only be 5 points behind. If fans don't come back for that then when will they?

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Bang on mate.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Yes, Hibs probably has the 4th or 5th biggest fanbase in Scotland. Actual attendances though (which is not the same thing of course) usually depend on how well a club is performing and getting good results.

I don't want to "look at Hearts" TBH because I don't really give a s*** what they do. All I'll say is their situation following their relegation due to a points deduction following going into administration is/was entirely different to Hibs. Their supporters really had little choice other than to buy season tickets and DDs in very large numbers or risk seeing their club vanish. They also then went on a winning run that nobody really foresaw and were promoted. I can recall HMFC getting gates of 3,000.

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"?

Nobody wants to look at the **** in gorgie! But they are our rivals who we hate the most and we have to be competing with them off the pitch in the stands and on the pitch.

high bee
04-10-2015, 07:57 PM
I don't disagree that we are in a great position relative to the last 7 years however we are still a championship team, if we were sitting level or 3 points behind Sevco then it may be a different story about the crowds.

I don't think there is anything more that LD and the team can do right now, the only thing that will increase crowds would be promotion followed by top six finishes so it's going to take time.

I simply don't think we should be worried about our crowds yet, they will come back as long as we keep moving forward but they won't come back in this league unless we are title material.

Let's see the ticket rush if we make a cup final this year.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't disagree that we are in a great position relative to the last 7 years however we are still a championship team, if we were sitting level or 3 points behind Sevco then it may be a different story about the crowds.

I don't think there is anything more that LD and the team can do right now, the only thing that will increase crowds would be promotion followed by top six finishes so it's going to take time.

I simply don't think we should be worried about our crowds yet, they will come back as long as we keep moving forward but they won't come back in this league unless we are title material.

Let's see the ticket rush if we make a cup final this year.

I personally don't care about making a cup final again til we are back up. Said that from the minute we went down.
And if we don't get promoted this season I really do fear the worst....

emerald green
04-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Nobody wants to look at the **** in gorgie! But they are our rivals who we hate the most and we have to be competing with them off the pitch in the stands and on the pitch.

Can I refer you back to what you said in your post #14 where you said "look at Hearts"? :confused:

Hibs will be competing with them off the pitch, in the stands, and on the pitch when Hibs are promoted to the Premier league.

Oh, bye the way, you didn't answer my question.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Can I refer you back to what you said in your post #14 where you said "look at Hearts"? :confused:

Hibs will be competing with them off the pitch, in the stands, and on the pitch when Hibs are promoted to the Premier league.

Oh, bye the way, you didn't answer my question.

Yeah that was a reply to someone saying they don't care about hearts. I was merely stating that I hate them too but we have to compete with them so we have to take notice. I probably hate them more than most due to personal reasons!

What did I not answer?

high bee
04-10-2015, 08:16 PM
I personally don't care about making a cup final again til we are back up. Said that from the minute we went down.
And if we don't get promoted this season I really do fear the worst....

I wouldn't care either but that wasn't the point, the point is that there would be a ticket scramble and that would show that there are loads of fair weather fans out there, the same ones who attended when we were challenging for Europeans places, the same ones who will be back in the future when we are back in that position.

It's only natural that we have less folk watching us play Alloa and Dumbarton than Aberdeen and Dundee United and if we don't get promoted this year then you can bet our crowds will be down even more.

I'm not saying I agree with people not backing the team because I'm not and I have been attending a lot more this year because I share the sentiment of you and others but as much as I want more people to attend I don't believe they will unless we get back to top six of the top league.

It just seems there is a feeling that we have lost these fans for good when I'm not convinced that's true.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't care either but that wasn't the point, the point is that there would be a ticket scramble and that would show that there are loads of fair weather fans out there, the same ones who attended when we were challenging for Europeans places, the same ones who will be back in the future when we are back in that position.

It's only natural that we have less folk watching us play Alloa and Dumbarton than Aberdeen and Dundee United and if we don't get promoted this year then you can bet our crowds will be down even more.

I'm not saying I agree with people not backing the team because I'm not and I have been attending a lot more this year because I share the sentiment of you and others but as much as I want more people to attend I don't believe they will unless we get back to top six of the top league.

It just seems there is a feeling that we have lost these fans for good when I'm not convinced that's true.

I get your point totally.

Just annoys me that people come out for a big game that really doesn't matter, but when it matters weekly nobody turns up.

emerald green
04-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Yeah that was a reply to someone saying they don't care about hearts. I was merely stating that I hate them too but we have to compete with them so we have to take notice. I probably hate them more than most due to personal reasons!

What did I not answer?

The bit in bold - that would be me then. You first introduced "look at Hearts" in response to my post #12.

You didn't answer my question which was as follows:

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"? What is your plan for getting 15,000 home fans through the gates at ER every week?

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:27 PM
The bit in bold - that would be me then. You first introduced "look at Hearts" in response to my post #12.

You didn't answer my question which was as follows:

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"? What is your plan for getting 15,000 home fans through the gates at ER every week?

Well I don't think there is anymore the club can do. I feel the club has done their bit which is why I now attend when I can. I just wish other people would do this as well.

It's over to us now and us fans aren't doing our bit imo.

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Promotion and challenging regularly in top of SPL would bring them back.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Promotion and challenging regularly in top of SPL would bring them back.

That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now? What if we don't go up? We need fans back ASAP.

Hakim Sar
04-10-2015, 08:33 PM
It's simple things for me that have recaptured my attention. Most recently sticking Hibernian Football Club on the main stand. So silly and simple but always felt Easter Road needed more hibs decor on it. They listened to the fans who wanted a purple away kit. Stubbs is working his backside off and has generally built a nice squad. Hibs are winning, keeping clean sheets regularly, emailing the fans, have revamped the website, have done promotions for kids entering cup games.

St Mirren draw hurt. Rangers loss hurt. Dumbarton Loss hurt. But it's football and it's generally been balanced out with some good results and performances.

Out of interest, anyone else like me that is starting to feel like taking a huff with the club is just tiresome now and they need our help?

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:38 PM
It's simple things for me that have recaptured my attention. Most recently sticking Hibernian Football Club on the main stand. So silly and simple but always felt Easter Road needed more hibs decor on it. They listened to the fans who wanted a purple away kit. Stubbs is working his backside off and has generally built a nice squad. Hibs are winning, keeping clean sheets regularly, emailing the fans, have revamped the website, have done promotions for kids entering cup games.

St Mirren draw hurt. Rangers loss hurt. Dumbarton Loss hurt. But it's football and it's generally been balanced out with some good results and performances.

Out of interest, anyone else like me that is starting to feel like taking a huff with the club is just tiresome now and they need our help?

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I've been going back and taking my daughter too. I love all the social media stuff they are doing and they are Interacting with the fans well. They let my daughter meet the players and as I already stated I feel the club have done their bit and it's time for the fans to repay them by turning up. I can't go to every game and struggle financially to do this but I have made an effort this season and will continue to do so. If everyone thought like me, our average attendance would soon go up, maybe not to the levels we are aiming for but to an acceptable amount.

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2015, 08:39 PM
That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now? What if we don't go up? We need fans back ASAP.

We will go up next season in my opinion by strolling the league and they will flock back.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:43 PM
We will go up next season in my opinion by strolling the league and they will flock back.

I fear a lot of players will leave if we don't go up this season and this could also include Stubbs.

Hakim Sar
04-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I've been going back and taking my daughter too. I love all the social media stuff they are doing and they are Interacting with the fans well. They let my daughter meet the players and as I already stated I feel the club have done their bit and it's time for the fans to repay them by turning up. I can't go to every game and struggle financially to do this but I have made an effort this season and will continue to do so. If everyone thought like me, our average attendance would soon go up, maybe not to the levels we are aiming for but to an acceptable amount.

Brick by brick mate. I'll hold my hands up and say I turned my back especially last 2 and a half years. But I'm going to the next home game so it's a start. And if they lose that game then ok it might happen. But there is an upward trend to all things hibs right now and I think they deserve some money for ticket sales for their efforts. I reckon my nephew will definitely see some good goals and wins this year and get the hibs bug.

emerald green
04-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Well I don't think there is anymore the club can do. I feel the club has done their bit which is why I now attend when I can. I just wish other people would do this as well.

It's over to us now and us fans aren't doing our bit imo.

Yes there is more the club / team can do. It's quite simple. They have to win enough matches to get the club out of the Championship. If they do that, I'm confident attendances will increase at ER. Whether they will ever reach at least 15,000 every week as you mentioned earlier may not be realistic, but I also wish more people would attend. Nobody can force people to attend a football match.

When you say "us fans aren't doing our bit" are you including those that have bought season tickets and contribute their hard earned cash every month to HSL and/or have bought shares direct? Presumably not.

That's one way I would suggest that you could play a part, however small that may be, in getting Hibs out of the Championship. If you can afford it of course.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Brick by brick mate. I'll hold my hands up and say I turned my back especially last 2 and a half years. But I'm going to the next home game so it's a start. And if they lose that game then ok it might happen. But there is an upward trend to all things hibs right now and I think they deserve some money for ticket sales for their efforts. I reckon my nephew will definitely see some good goals and wins this year and get the hibs bug.

So far my daughter hasn't seen us lose! That includes her first game last season and she's been at 3 this season, I've been at 4.

As I say, I can't make it to every game due to financial reasons and other commitments like work, my daughter etc, but whenever I have a spare say and cash in my pocket I'm there. I am aiming for a minimum of one a month but I said that last month and went to 3!

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Yes there is more the club / team can do. It's quite simple. They have to win enough matches to get the club out of the Championship. If they do that, I'm confident attendances will increase at ER. Whether they will ever reach at least 15,000 every week as you mentioned earlier may not be realistic, but I also wish more people would attend. Nobody can force people to attend a football match.

When you say "us fans aren't doing our bit" are you including those that have bought season tickets and contribute their hard earned cash every month to HSL and/or have bought shares direct? Presumably not.

That's one way I would suggest that you could play a part, however small that may be, in getting Hibs out of the Championship. If you can afford it of course.

No when I say is fans I am not including season ticket holders etc. They are clearly doing their bit. I mean fans like me, who used to go almost weekly as a wee boy then over the last few years stopped going regularly. This for me is due to work and taking my daughter or whatever, but that spare sat I would have wouldn't be spent at Easter rd. That's where I've changed and I have been going and bringing my daughter with me so that's 2 fans that would not have been going previously.

I know more than most how expensive it is to go myself never mind taking a 7 year old but from now on if I've got the cash and time I'm there. I've enjoyed going back and think I actually forgot how much I like watching football live. And it's not calderwood, fenlon (who I liked) or butchers (who I hate) style, it's the style I expect from hibs. It's actually good to watch and win lose or draw gives you a level of professionalism and performance I expect from a modern day forward thinking club.

emerald green
04-10-2015, 09:17 PM
No when I say is fans I am not including season ticket holders etc. They are clearly doing their bit. I mean fans like me, who used to go almost weekly as a wee boy then over the last few years stopped going regularly. This for me is due to work and taking my daughter or whatever, but that spare sat I would have wouldn't be spent at Easter rd. That's where I've changed and I have been going and bringing my daughter with me so that's 2 fans that would not have been going previously.

I know more than most how expensive it is to go myself never mind taking a 7 year old but from now on if I've got the cash and time I'm there. I've enjoyed going back and think I actually forgot how much I like watching football live. And it's not calderwood, fenlon (who I liked) or butchers (who I hate) style, it's the style I expect from hibs. It's actually good to watch and win lose or draw gives you a level of professionalism and performance I expect from a modern day forward thinking club.

OK mate it's good that you and your daughter are back at ER. :aok: I know how expensive it is to watch football, especially if you have kids to pay for too, although I understand there are good deals on kids season tickets. I understand that's not always feasible depending on family commitments and so on.

I know a few lapsed supporters who for their own reasons have never been back since the club was relegated. It's these folk the club needs to get back too, if possible.

As other posters have mentioned many times before on this forum, once folk stop going to matches it can be very difficult to get them back, if at all. Once the disconnect between fan and club kicks in it's hard to break that.

This is a big problem for Hibs, and the only way I can see attendances increasing significantly is by the team winning enough matches to gain promotion. I believe that if Hibs were to get back into the Premiership, 10-11,000 season tickets would be possible and realistic, given Hibs have just under 8,000 as a Championship club.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 09:26 PM
OK mate it's good that you and your daughter are back at ER. :aok: I know how expensive it is to watch football, especially if you have kids to pay for too, although I understand there are good deals on kids season tickets. I understand that's not always feasible depending on family commitments and so on.

I know a few lapsed supporters who for their own reasons have never been back since the club was relegated. It's these folk the club needs to get back too, if possible.

As other posters have mentioned many times before on this forum, once folk stop going to matches it can be very difficult to get them back, if at all. Once the disconnect between fan and club kicks in it's hard to break that.

This is a big problem for Hibs, and the only way I can see attendances increasing significantly is by the team winning enough matches to gain promotion. I believe that if Hibs were to get back into the Premiership, 10-11,000 season tickets would be possible and realistic, given Hibs have just under 8,000 as a Championship club.

I hope this happens. Just feel we are needed now. What dempster and Stubbs have done is great and long may it continue.

Maybe our owner will pump some cash in........,

Newhaven
04-10-2015, 09:44 PM
You ask the question 'how long' so I'll attempt an answer.

I'll stay in a so called huff until Rod Petrie goes lock, stock and barrel from the club.

Allow me to explain that I'll still go to a few home and away games when time allows but so far as buying a season ticket for my daughter and I I'm not content to stump up. I realise and accept that this is going against the grain but allow me to explain.

Using 2007 as a benchmark since the league cup victory he has been at the helm of our gradual decline by employing manager after manager (with reassurances to supporters that he knows what he's doing) culminating with the cherry on the cake the 2014 demise to Hamilton.

The fact that protests and many voices were against him staying in at the club appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Would it be accepted in any other type of business? The buck stops at the top.

The minute Leanne was in the door there should have been a two week handover to her then he should have disappeared into the sunset. The fact he still holds any position on the board in any capacity baffles me. It's like we can't function as a club without him??

I'm content that this goes against Leanne's vision of how the club should operate but whilst not hundreds there are others like me who hold the same belief. Call us sad, small minded or pretty but it breaks my heart to see him still at Easter Road.

I salute and respect other supporters views but the minute he's out I'll buy two seasons even though I can't make it every week.

Hibbyradge
04-10-2015, 09:48 PM
The minute Leanne was in the door there should have been a two week handover to her then he should have disappeared into the sunset. The fact he still holds any position on the board in any capacity baffles me. It's like we can't function as a club without him??

He owns 10% of the club.

Leanne is an employee.

MJN1875
04-10-2015, 09:56 PM

I'll stay in a so called huff until Rod Petrie goes lock, stock and barrel from the club.

Allow me to explain that I'll still go to a few home and away games when time allows but so far as buying a season ticket for my daughter and I I'm not content to stump up. I realise and accept that this is going against the grain but allow me to explain.

Using 2007 as a benchmark since the league cup victory he has been at the helm of our gradual decline by employing manager after manager (with reassurances to supporters that he knows what he's doing) culminating with the cherry on the cake the 2014 demise to Hamilton.

The fact that protests and many voices were against him staying in at the club appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Would it be accepted in any other type of business? The buck stops at the top.

I'm content that this goes against Leanne's vision of how the club should operate but whilst not hundreds there are others like me who hold the same belief. Call us sad, small minded or pretty but it breaks my heart to see him still at Easter Road.

I salute and respect other supporters views but the minute he's out I'll buy two seasons even though I can't make it every week.

I don't get this? You are not the only on who thinks like this, far from it and I do get your point to an extent. But I think rod has basically admitted he made several mistakes and doesn't have a clue about football which is why he takes no part in the day to day running of the club.

Dempster is in charge and you have to agree has picked up the pieces and is doing an outstanding job.

However, Petrie is a business man a very good one at that and he has proved this which is why we are in a good position as a business and have the third best stadium in Scotland with a stunning state of the art training centre.

We need to get away from this Petrie stuff he might as well not be there as far as we fans are concerned.

If we are going to have a go at Petrie why stop there? Farmer is the money man? I'd say he has a lot more to answer to the fans than Petrie does.

However I respect your opinion and hope you do continue to go when you can make it with your daughter as I will with mine.

Steve20
05-10-2015, 02:26 AM
That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now?

By the manager and players doing the job they're paid to do??

Libby Hibby
05-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Keep up the communication, keep doing the nice things in the stadium, keep up the listening to the fans, keep supporting the manager and keep up the signing of decent players.

The club have given the team the best ever platform to succeed in my living memory and that's why me, my dad and my boy all got ST's this year.

For some of my Hibs supporting m8s, the passion for Hibs has never drifted but the urge to see them every week has due to the gradual decline in results. I keep saying there is something happening down ER and there attitude is changing but consistently gaining results like QoS at the weekend would help. More goals, more wins and decent football would have the fans coming back in droves.

hibbymick
05-10-2015, 05:57 AM

couldnt agree more, ive been to one game this season. I got back into fishing again and cant see me returning to ER any time soon.

Pete
05-10-2015, 06:05 AM
By the manager and players doing the job they're paid to do??

If the jobs are managing the team and playing football they already do that.

snooky
05-10-2015, 10:42 AM
As I get older, sport is become less important in my life.
I used to play golf but now view the game with the same contempt as Mark Twain i.e. "A good walk spoiled."

Sadly, it's happening with football. I can't be rsd watching Scotland international games on telly these days.
Alas, because of this aging apathy, visits to ER are becoming less & less frequent.

For me, the excitement has gone from the Scottish game (and playing one up front at home doesn't help).

bobbyhibs1983
05-10-2015, 10:48 AM
I think there are some valid points being made on the thread so far.I think im half and half in regards money-out of the habbit kinda postion.

Moeny for me is tigght, at the moment saving for a holiday , bills and what not its toguh for me to scrap by from week to week.

I had a season ticket last season,and went on my own .i used to go with my brother and sisters but they have given up on there st's and wlel due to babies n work, they have decided going is no longer for them.

For me i guess i felt out of place, i guess the *connection* or *bond* alot of people fell about hibs, however much i tried i could not feel that.
I should have moved my seat last season i had this annoying guy behind me whom always sorta doing his own commentary on the game !!
I sometimes feel that i am just a number to hibs and do not matter too much.I used to get alot of emials from hibs, about things on the website mostly,but since early august nothing.
I guess i see sometimes there are deals aimed at families and such, which is fantastic and i do really mean that,but i guess as just one person, there is no such thing for me, though in thinking i can see hibs cant do deals for everyone, (and what sorta deals could they give me? i dunno)

what more could hibs do to win people like me back? well its a tough one, as money/cost is maybe at number 1 for me.(maybe alot of people?)
prehaps they could have open days,i think they have held trainin sessions that kind of thing before?, maybe stadium tours as well(agian i tihnk they sometimes do this)
maybe a q+a session?
another idea is phoning/emailing lapsed season tickets people up and see why they are lapsed?

WeeRussell
05-10-2015, 12:24 PM
I get your point totally.

Just annoys me that people come out for a big game that really doesn't matter, but when it matters weekly nobody turns up.

That's something that will never change for any club, and it's really not hard to understand. People will always be more inclined to go to the games where they enjoy the atmosphere and rivalry more. Some people go to all the games, some people only get to a few... it's no surprise they choose their favourite fixtures when going to the said few.

People can talk about fans responsibility and loyalty all they like - if someone doesn't enjoy the games enough to spend money and time attending, then they won't be forced to do so.

That's not a biased opinion by the way - as it's coming from someone who doesn't make many games because they play on Saturdays themselves. I am happy with Dempster and the way the club is moving, but (if I was able to make the games) I wouldn't feel obliged to fork out and spend every second Saturday attending if I still didn't think it was worth it.

People make their own minds up... for what it's worth I find the "I'm no going back til Petrie is out" one hard to grasp but I certainly don't think it's anyone's duty to attend football when they don't really want to.

MJN1875
05-10-2015, 12:24 PM
couldnt agree more, ive been to one game this season. I got back into fishing again and cant see me returning to ER any time soon.

So can we just now write you off no matter what?

Golden Bear
05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
As I get older, sport is become less important in my life.
I used to play golf but now view the game with the same contempt as Mark Twain i.e. "A good walk spoiled."

Sadly, it's happening with football. I can't be rsd watching Scotland international games on telly these days.
Alas, because of this aging apathy, visits to ER are becoming less & less frequent.

For me, the excitement has gone from the Scottish game (and playing one up front at home doesn't help).

I fully understand Snooky but I respectfully suggest that you try and keep your interests going. It's all too easy to fall into booze and couch mode but that carries an even bigger health warning than watching Hibs!

Lago
05-10-2015, 12:54 PM
I think it has to be accepted that no matter what, many will never return and more attention paid to generating new supporters.
It is going to be hard because as many have pointed out not just hibs but Scottish football in general is losing its attraction.

Smartie
05-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Football fans are, by nature, fickle.

Instead of a lifelong love affair that we often assume that all fans have with the club, the reality is that some drift in and drift out at various points during their lives. Part of this is due to what the club do but part of that is due to what is going on in people's lives at the time.

There are people who have recently drifted away that I would never envisage doing so, but I guess that league games against Alloa aren't for everyone.

The flip side of that is that there are people I know who have season tickets and go home and away every week these days who had been lost to Hibs for many years (even when we had a far better team than we do now). It's just become soothing that they do again.

There is simply nothing more (imo) that Hibs can be doing at at the moment. I cannot pick fault with anything major. I get annoyed when we have games like we did against St Mirren the other week but that's football - you have to earn every victory. Barcelona, Bayern Munich - every club drops points (as will The Rangersm eventually). Hibs just need to keep the heid - keep doing things right and fans will return (and new ones will be attracted along).

I don't particularly like Petrie (to put it mildly) - more than anyone he is to blame for where we are. But if there is one thing we should give him credit for it is that he (finally) showed a bit of self-awareness, put a bit of his stubbornness and pride to one side and appointed Leanne, knowing that his stewardship was damaging the club.

Rather than rail against him (and Hibs) a few more need to take a leaf out of his book for the greater good of our club, they are martyrs for a totally futile cause.

MJN1875
05-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Duno what's wrong with people these days? Might not be the best standard but give me football over any other sport any day of the week, in any league.

Smartie
05-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Duno what's wrong with people these days? Might not be the best standard but give me football over any other sport any day of the week, in any league.

I don't even think the standard is that bad. Certainly not our team anyway.

We're knocking the ball about well and have players that are great to watch. From back to front - Oxley's made some top saves this season, Hanlon has had some outstanding moments, McGeoch and McGinn are quality players, Dom can get you off your seat and Cummings knows where the goals are.

I've watched some absolute snoozefests in the English Premier League that I've had to switch over.

FranckSuzy
05-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Football fans are, by nature, fickle.

Instead of a lifelong love affair that we often assume that all fans have with the club, the reality is that some drift in and drift out at various points during their lives. Part of this is due to what the club do but part of that is due to what is going on in people's lives at the time.

There are people who have recently drifted away that I would never envisage doing so, but I guess that league games against Alloa aren't for everyone.

The flip side of that is that there are people I know who have season tickets and go home and away every week these days who had been lost to Hibs for many years (even when we had a far better team than we do now). It's just become soothing that they do again.

There is simply nothing more (imo) that Hibs can be doing at at the moment. I cannot pick fault with anything major. I get annoyed when we have games like we did against St Mirren the other week but that's football - you have to earn every victory. Barcelona, Bayern Munich - every club drops points (as will The Rangersm eventually). Hibs just need to keep the heid - keep doing things right and fans will return (and new ones will be attracted along).

I don't particularly like Petrie (to put it mildly) - more than anyone he is to blame for where we are. But if there is one thing we should give him credit for it is that he (finally) showed a bit of self-awareness, put a bit of his stubbornness and pride to one side and appointed Leanne, knowing that his stewardship was damaging the club.

Rather than rail against him (and Hibs) a few more need to take a leaf out of his book for the greater good of our club, they are martyrs for a totally futile cause.

Good post :agree:

Re the bit in bold, I'm not sure if that is the case, TBH :greengrin The reason a lot of fans give for turning up at every home game, regardless of the team's performance/division we're in, is the social side of the afternoon/evening. IMHO, Hibs could do a lot more to encourage people to make a day/night of it when going to a Hibs game.

Take going to a concert for example; the primary reason for going is obviously the artist/band but some people make the hours before/after the gig part of the experience at the venue too. IF BTG and/or the catering was of better quality, maybe some people would spend more time (and therefore money :wink:) at games and they might feel a sense of belonging again :dunno:

I've also long thought there should be a supporters bar in the stadium; run by the fans for the fans. This could provide a viable alternative to both BTG and the Hibs Club and it would also have the added benefit of prolonging the day for supporters and hopefully help foster a better relationship with the club. If there was also entertainment laid on or a player appearance, then that would only add to the value of it all, IMHO.

When the group that people go to the games with starts to dwindle then that's when it's going to hurt Hibs, if it hasn't already. It may only be because of particular people going to the game that makes the others show up. Take that away and it might be easier for some other fans not to bother anymore too, sadly.

MJN1875
05-10-2015, 05:14 PM

We're knocking the ball about well and have players that are great to watch. From back to front - Oxley's made some top saves this season, Hanlon has had some outstanding moments, McGeoch and McGinn are quality players, Dom can get you off your seat and Cummings knows where the goals are.

I've watched some absolute snoozefests in the English Premier League that I've had to switch over.

Most English football is a snooze fest.

People go on about who wants to watch eg st Johnstone v Hamilton. To me Norwich v west brom for example is equally as pish.

Pete
05-10-2015, 05:18 PM

People go on about who wants to watch eg st Johnstone v Hamilton. To me Norwich v west brom for example is equally as pish.

:agree:

however, people have been convinced that these games are unmissable and really exciting. The truth is that it's just four or five big brands and the rest is basically cannon fodder.

MJN1875
05-10-2015, 05:46 PM

Ronniekirk
05-10-2015, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=MJN1875;4477951]I fear a lot of players will leave if we don't go up this season and this could also include Stubbs.[/QU

Fear not :cb

Lago
05-10-2015, 06:10 PM
:agree:

however, people have been convinced that these games are unmissable and really exciting. The truth is that it's just four or five big brands and the rest is basically cannon fodder.

But boy dont they market It well.

Smartie
05-10-2015, 06:53 PM

And fair play to them for that.

As long as we persevere with armaggeddon-boy then we'll get precisely what we deserve.

We could do so much more with the little that we do have.

Scouse Hibee
05-10-2015, 07:21 PM
For me football is something of a habit I guess. I probably attend now more out of habit than enjoyment and I keep buying a season ticket as that it what I have done all of my life. I know if I done away with the season ticket I would probably end up missing completely and I just wont let myself as daft as it is. I have stopped travelling away though and have to admit have thoroughly enjoyed having lunch out with the missus and a few drinks every other Saturday. I can't see me ever returning to home and away but will probably never give up that damn season ticket.

MJN1875
05-10-2015, 09:32 PM

Yeah they do and I think down to people like Doncaster and his scaremongering and his inability to get a good deal we will never have that.

Duno if anyone read that talk Barry Hearn did a few months back with the sfa. He made some brilliant examples eg, I get 10000 sell outs for darts and could probably sell double that. He couldn't understand how we can't get bigger crowds for the most popular sport in the world. We need someone like him running the show when it comes to selling the product.

Doncaster etc should hang their £500000pa heads in shame.
The last 3 yrs has given Scottish football the ultimate opportunity to reinvent itself and we have failed miserably.

jacomo
06-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah they do and I think down to people like Doncaster and his scaremongering and his inability to get a good deal we will never have that.

Duno if anyone read that talk Barry Hearn did a few months back with the sfa. He made some brilliant examples eg, I get 10000 sell outs for darts and could probably sell double that. He couldn't understand how we can't get bigger crowds for the most popular sport in the world. We need someone like him running the show when it comes to selling the product.

Doncaster etc should hang their £500000pa heads in shame.
The last 3 yrs has given Scottish football the ultimate opportunity to reinvent itself and we have failed miserably.

Agree. Once in a generation opportunity to improve Scottish football, utterly squandered.

Lago
06-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Agree. Once in a generation opportunity to improve Scottish football, utterly squandered.
Yip they cant wait to return to the good old status quo.

rodhibs55
06-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Yip, Down Down Deeper and Down

villager
08-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Rod Petrie's resignation from his duties would remove the last barrier to near as unite the clubs support behind Leanne's new order. The fact he doesn't is putting his own interest before Hibernian's.

No one person should be bigger than the club.

Rod understands as well as anyone the club needs all the revenue it can get, yet continues knowing he is a divisive figure and costs the club vital income.

He would gain some of his lost respect back if he resigned acknowledging this.

Alfred E Newman
08-10-2015, 09:05 PM

You obviously have strong feelings but I can't see how you can blame Petrie for the failure of the players to hold on to a 2 goal lead at home to Hamilton. By that logic it was Petrie that was responsible for winning the League Cup in 2007.

marinello59
08-10-2015, 09:18 PM
How long can you be in the huff with your club?
I'm still pretty angry about us selling Peter Marinello.

snooky
08-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I'm still in the huff with Hibs for selling Jimmy O'Rourke, BTW.

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm still in the huff with Hibs for selling Jimmy O'Rourke, BTW.

And Paddy to Celtic wtf. :greengrin

Ozyhibby
09-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Good post :agree:

Re the bit in bold, I'm not sure if that is the case, TBH :greengrin The reason a lot of fans give for turning up at every home game, regardless of the team's performance/division we're in, is the social side of the afternoon/evening. IMHO, Hibs could do a lot more to encourage people to make a day/night of it when going to a Hibs game.

Take going to a concert for example; the primary reason for going is obviously the artist/band but some people make the hours before/after the gig part of the experience at the venue too. IF BTG and/or the catering was of better quality, maybe some people would spend more time (and therefore money :wink:) at games and they might feel a sense of belonging again :dunno:

I've also long thought there should be a supporters bar in the stadium; run by the fans for the fans. This could provide a viable alternative to both BTG and the Hibs Club and it would also have the added benefit of prolonging the day for supporters and hopefully help foster a better relationship with the club. If there was also entertainment laid on or a player appearance, then that would only add to the value of it all, IMHO.

When the group that people go to the games with starts to dwindle then that's when it's going to hurt Hibs, if it hasn't already. It may only be because of particular people going to the game that makes the others show up. Take that away and it might be easier for some other fans not to bother anymore too, sadly.

Good post.
I stopped going Behind the Goals because of Petrie but when I did go it used to amaze me that they would close the bar at 6pm with maybe 300 people in the place even if there was no function on.
Maybe now that Hibs have taken over the bars from Azure they can have a look at that, if they haven't already.
Get rid of Petrie and I might even go back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Good post.
I stopped going Behind the Goals because of Petrie but when I did go it used to amaze me that they would close the bar at 6pm with maybe 300 people in the place even if there was no function on.
Maybe now that Hibs have taken over the bars from Azure they can have a look at that, if they haven't already.

Wow.

Ozyhibby
09-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Wow.

You're easily amazed? What's so wow about that?

rodhibs55
09-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Good post.

That's a serious going in the huff.

Ozyhibby
09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
That's a serious going in the huff.

Considering there are people not going to games because of him it's pretty minor. There are lots of other places to go for a pint.

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 11:20 AM
You're easily amazed? What's so wow about that?

Totally amazed. You stop drinking somewhere because of one man. Was it his presence in BTG or was it the fact he is still at Hibs?

Wow wow wow.

Ozyhibby
09-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Totally amazed. You stop drinking somewhere because of one man. Was it his presence in BTG or was it the fact he is still at Hibs?

Wow wow wow.

There are people not attending at all because of him. It was an easy decision. I'm usually driving these days anyway but when I do go for a pint I go to the Hibs club. It's not really a hardship.
The club obviously don't mind losing the tenner I would likely spend so it's no big deal.

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 12:01 PM
There are people not attending at all because of him. It was an easy decision. I'm usually driving these days anyway but when I do go for a pint I go to the Hibs club. It's not really a hardship.
The club obviously don't mind losing the tenner I would likely spend so it's no big deal.

Doesn't answer the question though. Having said that, your choice. I just don't understand why people let their pleasure be spoiled by the presence of one person.

MJN1875
09-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Ffs get over Petrie! I'm sick of that excuse, how long are people going to use that excuse???

09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Glad to hear people like yourself are starting to see how the club has changed/is changing. I completely understand the anger towards the club after years and years of disappointments but the club seem to have turned a corner and I for one am a much more enthusiastic hibby.

Golden Bear
09-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Ffs get over Petrie! I'm sick of that excuse, how long are people going to use that excuse???

I always assume it's folk on a wind up mission. Best ignored, they'll disappear in time.

Ozyhibby
09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
I always assume it's folk on a wind up mission. Best ignored, they'll disappear in time.

They have already disappeared, that's why we are talking about it. [emoji22]

Forza Fred
09-10-2015, 11:39 PM

Until they get out of the habit of 'doing their duty' and no longer care.

As, judging by crowd numbers, has already happened with some.

MJN1875
09-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Until they get out of the habit of 'doing their duty' and no longer care.

As, judging by crowd numbers, has already happened with some.

I don't even think petries that bad. He's made some poor decisions in regards to managers, and he's admitted that and has let Leanne take over who imo is doing a magnificent job.
Apart from that he's been good for us by doing what he does best, being a business man.

Wish folk would just get a grip and get over it.

Petrie this Petrie that, I've basically not heard so much as a peep from the guy for over a year.

Forza Fred
10-10-2015, 03:31 AM
I don't even think petries that bad. He's made some poor decisions in regards to managers, and he's admitted that and has let Leanne take over who imo is doing a magnificent job.
Apart from that he's been good for us by doing what he does best, being a business man.

Wish folk would just get a grip and get over it.

Petrie this Petrie that, I've basically not heard so much as a peep from the guy for over a year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and while it would not be my course of action, those that stay away because of Petrie, and in some cases even Farmer, will eventually be lost when they find other things to do, instead of go to ER regularly.

I know of several who already fall into that category.

As I say, not my preferred course of action, but I understand their viewpoint.

And while you may not have, as you put it,, heard a peep out of him, he remains Chairman of the football club, so he can't in any way be seen as having disassociated himself from the policy making decisions of the club.

scoopyboy
10-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Doesn't answer the question though. Having said that, your choice. I just don't understand why people let their pleasure be spoiled by the presence of one person.

Agreed.

If I don't like the next Sportscene presenter I'm going to give up my TV licence.

malcolm
10-10-2015, 09:18 AM
If anyone's huff has lasted this long its clearly not temporary and is arguably well past any reasonable description of a huff. It then leads to the question:

Are they Hibs fans?

A. Does not seem much like a fanatic support of Hibs.

Ok are they supporters?

A. Does not sound like they are supporting Hibs in any materially useful way.

The oft trotted out Petrie reason, if its not a comfy excuse, seems almost like the focus point of some weird cult belief system - to the extent that all the good work and decisions made by Ms D are bad because that non executive chairman is feeding them to her. :wink:

hibbiedon
11-10-2015, 04:52 AM

wise words, never understood people who stop going to watch Hibs but still come on sites like this to moan about them

Alfred E Newman
11-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Until he goes and they have to find another excuse.