PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Leeann Dempster

matty_f
02-10-2015, 11:01 PM
This is my latest Hibs blog, which is an interview with Leeann Dempster.

http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/changing-times-interview-with-leeann.html

Will also have an interview with Colin Millar up over the weekend at some point (when my fingers recover from typing this one!).

bigwheel
03-10-2015, 06:25 AM
really interesting stuff you are producing Matty F - nice one!! keep them coming....

matty_f
03-10-2015, 06:26 AM
really interesting stuff you are producing Matty F - nice one!! keep them coming....

Cheers :aok:

davy malcolm
03-10-2015, 07:07 AM

http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/changing-times-interview-with-leeann.html

Will also have an interview with Colin Millar up over the weekend at some point (when my fingers recover from typing this one!).
Great interview

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
03-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Enjoyed the read Matty, thanks

4 Front Teeth
03-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Brilliant thanks!

matty_f
03-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Great interview

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Enjoyed the read Matty, thanks

Brilliant thanks!

Thanks folks, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

bobbyhibs1983
03-10-2015, 08:19 AM
thanks for doing the interview and writing all that down !!
very intresting read,
am i the only one whom thinks Leeann Dempster is yummy?:agree:

J-C
03-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Cheers Matty, interesting stuff.

147lothian
03-10-2015, 08:28 AM
This is the type of things we want to hear Leeann is doing a great job, good interview

Ronniekirk
03-10-2015, 08:31 AM
She comes across as meaning what she says and has clearly put her own stamp on the club which has undoubtably been for the better .Like the stuff about Social,PublicPartership and Gamechanger , locating Primary Care Shows a willingness to think out the box and be dynamic .
There are so many ways she is trying to utilise the space at Easter road and reconnect with the fans .
But she hit the nail on the head when acknowledging they would do some things differently if we were promoted ,hinting that at present they are constrained by having to focus on income generation to feed the elite football side ,given we haven't shifted more season tickets. She is honest enough to recognise some people might not want to come back till we are promoted ,and others might not see what has been achieved to date as success ,until we get promoted . However she is clearly saying there is a place for everyone who wants to fall back in love with football at Easter Road to come back on board and help in whatever way they can .
leeann can only do so mutch the rest is down to the Support to Galvanise themselves and buy into the new Culture and Ethos .The more Fans that feed the Club the quicker we will get back to where we all want to be ,Promoted ,in the top four, winning Cups and back in Europe .The Foundations are their ,The Aspiration is there and the Hard work is being done ,
Together we can make this happen

Best interview to date Matty

RCNG
03-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Leanne is brilliant. I feel sorry for her though, having to bite her lip and not have a go at people who dont go to the games now. Seems like she's become more of a fan over the past two years than some of those that can afford the time and money to watch Hibs but choose not to.

linlithgowhibbie
03-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Met her at ER last week, genuinely nice lady and very passionate about her job and the challenges we need to overcome:thumbsup:

Weststandwanab
03-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Met her at ER last week, genuinely nice lady and very passionate about her job and the challenges we need to overcome:thumbsup:

That was a great read very interesting. Many thanks for sharing that with us.

lucky
03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Good interview and she is clearly a driven person. I like the fact that she wants Hibs, ER and HTC at the heart of the community. Personally think she is more valuable to Hibs than AS and the players

NAE NOOKIE
03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Great read ... thanks Matty

Its a real shame that the dolts who brought us to the situation we find ourselves in now hadn't had the foresight to make the one decision they have gotten right in the last seven years a year earlier. I can only imagine what sort of an impact Leeann could have made if we had been a premier league club ....... I have absolutely no doubt that if we fail to make it this year it will not be because of any failing, or lack of effort, on her part.

When you look at the way she has done things at ER and ( through gritted teeth ) the way Budge has gone about things at the Asbestos Arena, I cant help thinking Scottish football would be in a hell of a lot better state if we had a few more like them running the SPFL ...... in fact I know it would.

At this moment in the clubs history Leeann Dempster is probably our biggest asset .... lets hope bigger clubs or other businesses don't start to take notice of her.

Cheshire Hibby
03-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Good read. I met her before the Montrose game by the ticket office and her sincerity and belief in Hibernian was clearly evident.

Cabbage East
03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Good read mate. As a proofreader I'd be happy to help out if need be, obviously free of charge. PM me.

matty_f
03-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Good read mate. As a proofreader I'd be happy to help out if need be, obviously free of charge. PM me.

That's good of you to offer - after three hours of typing it can be hard to spot mistakes!

ozhibs
03-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Good interview she comes across well, Here's hoping all the good work continues.

MJN1875
03-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Brilliant mate.

I really like her and hope her and Stubbs stay for a long time.

Ozyhibby
03-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Good interview again. She comes across very well.
I would have liked to have asked if she recognises that some fans are staying away due to the continued presence of our chairman and if she thought that was a price worth paying to keep him around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
03-10-2015, 06:16 PM
very intresting read,

Of course not.

Andy74
03-10-2015, 06:28 PM
I would have liked to have asked if she recognises that some fans are staying away due to the continued presence of our chairman and if she thought that was a price worth paying to keep him around?

I think it's been addressed before along the lines that it whilst it would have been easy to have him walk that Hibs overall have benefitted from him not doing so as he has overseen the recent changes including the positive discussions with the bank and owner. The new shares and HSL is all new money too which didn't have to be the case.

I'd be happy for him to go too but I'm also happy that it's obvious he isn't running the operations any more.

If his staying for a bit has helped us to shed a lot of debt and so on I would guess that outweighs the number of genuine cases where otherwise commited fans wont attend football games because he is non exec Chair.

matty_f
03-10-2015, 06:31 PM

I considered it but thought it was covering old ground. Leeann made the point that people don't ask her if she has full responsibility anymore because it's clear that she has, as well as pointing out that people wanted change at the top and they got change at the top.

I don't think there was much, if any, value in flogging that horse.

PatHead
03-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I considered it but thought it was covering old ground. Leeann made the point that people don't ask her if she has full responsibility anymore because it's clear that she has, as well as pointing out that people wanted change at the top and they got change at the top.

I don't think there was much, if any, value in flogging that horse.

Did Rod tell you to say that? :greengrin

Leith_Hibee
03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
very intresting read,

No!

theonlywayisup
03-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Sorry, shockingly bad article!!

I mean, how could you get the name wrong?

"Leeann took over a club that should have been looking forward to a Scottish Premiership campaign in a league without Hearts and Rangers".

It's The Rangers!!!

matty_f
03-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Sorry, shockingly bad article!!

I mean, how could you get the name wrong?

"Leeann took over a club that should have been looking forward to a Scottish Premiership campaign in a league without Hearts and Rangers".

It's The Rangers!!!
Schoolboy error!

theonlywayisup
03-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Schoolboy error!

:aok:

It was!!

Keep up the good work. Enjoy reading you articles, summaries, posts....

mca
03-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for Posting OP.. Excellent interview.. :aok:

Would Love to know more Details about Her Working Relationship With RP.. :wink:

Jonnyboy
03-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Matty, I always enjoy reading your blog and this latest interview is excellent :aok:

Col2
04-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Excellent interview. Thanks for that.

It's clear as day that we MUST be promoted and everything centre around getting us there.

Bay Area Hibees
06-10-2015, 03:19 AM
Great piece!
Look at clubs like Southampton.
Their success is not just down to a manager.
Whole philosophy is right.
We have top class leadership and lucky to have her.

Austinho
06-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Does anyone have her email address they could PM me? I have a project regarding the club I'd like to contact her about. Thanks.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-10-2015, 08:22 AM
She comes across as meaning what she says and has clearly put her own stamp on the club which has undoubtably been for the better .Like the stuff about Social,PublicPartership and Gamechanger , locating Primary Care Shows a willingness to think out the box and be dynamic .
There are so many ways she is trying to utilise the space at Easter road and reconnect with the fans .
But she hit the nail on the head when acknowledging they would do some things differently if we were promoted ,hinting that at present they are constrained by having to focus on income generation to feed the elite football side ,given we haven't shifted more season tickets. She is honest enough to recognise some people might not want to come back till we are promoted ,and others might not see what has been achieved to date as success ,until we get promoted . However she is clearly saying there is a place for everyone who wants to fall back in love with football at Easter Road to come back on board and help in whatever way they can .
leeann can only do so mutch the rest is down to the Support to Galvanise themselves and buy into the new Culture and Ethos .The more Fans that feed the Club the quicker we will get back to where we all want to be ,Promoted ,in the top four, winning Cups and back in Europe .The Foundations are their ,The Aspiration is there and the Hard work is being done ,
Together we can make this happen

Best interview to date Matty

Is this not always what we should be doing?

I don't see why we should be doing anything that doesn't a) add to our bottom line and b) improve the first team.

I've never really bought into this 'community club' stuff - we are not a charity, and i pay my money to a football club, not some social enterprise.

If the club is doing something that doesn't/isn't contributing to the success of the first team, then it should be cut away and resources should be re-focused.

Ozyhibby
06-10-2015, 08:41 AM

I don't see why we should be doing anything that doesn't a) add to our bottom line and b) improve the first team.

I've never really bought into this 'community club' stuff - we are not a charity, and i pay my money to a football club, not some social enterprise.

If the club is doing something that doesn't/isn't contributing to the success of the first team, then it should be cut away and resources should be re-focused.

Difference between long term and short term.
Short term we need promotion but long term, strengthening ties with the community will increase our fan base which will improve performance on the pitch.

bigwheel
06-10-2015, 08:42 AM

I could not disagree more with this point - we were founded for the community, we only exist because of the support across our community. We have a heritage and, in my opinion, the honour of engaging with our community at all ages and all levels...it is part of the soul of this club - and it is one of the most important changes that the current board are pushing..

if it was only about the first team, we would be soulless - what a horrible thought..

Islington Hibs
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
What a great interview. I have not met her and to some degree she comes over as slightly diminutive on TV but I think she is a true leader and the club is very lucky to have her. She clearly has vision, is passionate, determined and I think sincere. Whether we go up this year, or not, I think she is doing the right things and rightly deserves the backing she is getting.

While some question whether we should be doing all that 'community stuff' and while I agree ultimately it is about the first team, that is the way to build the brand.

PatHead
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have her email address they could PM me? I have a project regarding the club I'd like to contact her about. Thanks.

Come to the Working Together meeting next Wednesday

Andy74
06-10-2015, 09:16 PM
I could not disagree more with this point - we were founded for the community, we only exist because of the support across our community. We have a heritage and, in my opinion, the honour of engaging with our community at all ages and all levels...it is part of the soul of this club - and it is one of the most important changes that the current board are pushing..

if it was only about the first team, we would be soulless - what a horrible thought..

I think the community thing is important but as a means to encouraging support for the first team. It's the reason most entities engage with their communities when it comes down to it.

We were founded largely for guys in the community to play football.

hibs0666
06-10-2015, 09:40 PM

I hope she would recognise it as the lamest of lame excuses.

Monts
06-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Great interview. Very positive!

Matty, did you mention to her your ideas for creating value in the season tickets?

matty_f
06-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Great interview. Very positive!

Matty, did you mention to her your ideas for creating value in the season tickets?

She asked me about it on my way out, so i forwarded the post on to her. :agree:

Monts
06-10-2015, 11:50 PM
She asked me about it on my way out, so i forwarded the post on to her. :agree:

Good to hear. :aok:

dunedinhibs
07-10-2015, 01:23 AM
Fantastic! Really admire how much Leeann has achieved in her time at Hibs.
:thumbsup:

bigwheel
07-10-2015, 06:30 AM
I think the community thing is important but as a means to encouraging support for the first team. It's the reason most entities engage with their communities when it comes down to it.

We were founded largely for guys in the community to play football.

I think a little differently - in today's world of course it's about creating affinity with the club and the team - but it's also the other way around - creating an affinity with our local communities...I feel we have a duty to create value for the community around us , irrespective of their support for the first team - helping them learn, develop, grow self esteem, prepare them for the future...these are values and benefits that we should help nurture. It's part of the privileged position a football club holds in our society.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-10-2015, 07:12 AM
I think a little differently - in today's world of course it's about creating affinity with the club and the team - but it's also the other way around - creating an affinity with our local communities...I feel we have a duty to create value for the community around us , irrespective of their support for the first team - helping them learn, develop, grow self esteem, prepare them for the future...these are values and benefits that we should help nurture. It's part of the privileged position a football club holds in our society.

Your aims are laudable mate, and if we were a super-rich English team then i would maybe agree with you.

But i'm sorry, i don't buy a season ticket with the expectation that any of that cash goes anywhere other than to making the team better. I accept te engagement stuff aimed at growing the support, that makes sense. But we are not some sort of social insurance provider, or educator or surrogate parent. If we can do good things while building the club, then great. But if something offers no value to the first team (either short term via revenue and more/better players) or long term through growing that bottom line, then its not the job of Hibs to be doing it. Or if they are, they should be making it clear that money may be going there, because i would think twice about buying my ST, HSL membership etc.

bigwheel
07-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Your aims are laudable mate, and if we were a super-rich English team then i would maybe agree with you.

But i'm sorry, i don't buy a season ticket with the expectation that any of that cash goes anywhere other than to making the team better. I accept te engagement stuff aimed at growing the support, that makes sense. But we are not some sort of social insurance provider, or educator or surrogate parent. If we can do good things while building the club, then great. But if something offers no value to the first team (either short term via revenue and more/better players) or long term through growing that bottom line, then its not the job of Hibs to be doing it. Or if they are, they should be making it clear that money may be going there, because i would think twice about buying my ST, HSL membership etc.

I don't believe any of the ST money should be going to that either , but that's a different point . As a core part of the local community we have ambitions and duties that go beyond first team - and I'm delighted our club and volunteers see that too - and the good work in this space continues to grow ...

Jack
07-10-2015, 09:50 AM

I don't think the Community Foundation get any money from the club, they may get office space provided for them.

The Government (Scottish), the NHS and many other public bodies, even the SFA and national lottery, provide grants and other monies for community work. It's the Foundations task to identify these income streams and use them, using the good name of Hibs and football for the benefit of the community.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what they get up to to fill their day but I am aware of the Healthy Hibby stuff, probably NHS related and retraining unemployed folk with courses in association with Edinburgh College.

I'm also aware of the SFA bit around community coaching of youngsters through the Foundation but not quite clear how that works other than there's hundreds of kids take part, Hibs fans or not.

Maybe Matty and Wendy, CEO? The Foundation, could get together for a blether and future blog piece?