PDA

View Full Version : NHC Bizarre Penalty

theonlywayisup
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Amin Khamis of Al Ahli conceded a penalty in bizarre circumstances during their AFC Champions League match against Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia. The defender thought the ball had fully crossed the byline and picked it up, only for the assistant referee to note the error and award a penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34399648

Anyone recall any other bizarre penalty decisions (any given by Craig Thomson doesn't count).

Onceinawhile
01-10-2015, 06:51 PM
I really don't think it's that bizarre a decision. Blatant handball in the box!

easty
01-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Amin Khamis of Al Ahli conceded a penalty in bizarre circumstances during their AFC Champions League match against Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia. The defender thought the ball had fully crossed the byline and picked it up, only for the assistant referee to note the error and award a penalty.

Anyone recall any other bizarre penalty decisions (any given by Craig Thomson doesn't count).

If there was nae whistle to signal the ball was out, then he shouldnt have picked it up. It was the guys own fault.

TRC
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Not a pen but i remember a yellow being given for someone jumping and stopping the ball going out at the half way line

weecounty hibby
01-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Willie Miller. Dunfermline v Hibs. 2nd yellow and got sent off for it. Unprofessional to say the least!!

stantonhibby
01-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Not bizarre but the penalty given against Ulrik Laursen against the huns was unbelievable. He was practically lying on the goal line when the ball was battered against him. Pen and s red card I think. Memory is hazy but I think it was also really late in the game as well and we were already beat. No idea who ref was but would guess at McCurry.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Not bizarre but the penalty given against Ulrik Laursen against the huns was unbelievable. He was practically lying on the goal line when the ball was battered against him. Pen and s red card I think. Memory is hazy but I think it was also really late in the game as well and we were already beat. No idea who ref was but would guess at McCurry.

It was indeed Mike McCurry.

Laursen was sent off for deliberate handball, Arveladze scored from the penalty and Tam McManus was also sent off for complaining about the incident.

Rangers (R.I.P.) won 3-0.

Baldy Foghorn
01-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Never a pen, poor from Linesman, should have seen ball out of play........

Onceinawhile
01-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Never a pen, poor from Linesman, should have seen ball out of play........

Sarcasm?

Paul Hartley getting booked as a sub for running on the pitch and passing the ball to the keeper was a cracker.

Andy74
01-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Nothing really bizarre about it. Ball doesn't appear to be fully across the line. I some forget it's not just the bit that touches the ground you need to be over but the whole ball.

theonlywayisup
01-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Jeeeez.....

Bizarre means "very strange or unusual". It doesn't mean incorrect!!

Sir David Gray
01-10-2015, 08:32 PM
I actually thought the ball had crossed the line.

If you look at the ball on the close up image at 18 seconds, I would say that was over the line.

Still silly to take any chances without seeing the officials flag for a goal kick though.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Jeeeez.....

Bizarre means "very strange or unusual". It doesn't mean incorrect!!

:greengrin I was actually about to post that myself.

I think some people are confusing the word "bizarre" with "controversial".

Thecat23
01-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Anyone remember when Dundee Utd scored a goal think v Partick or maybe the other way around? Anyway hits the net defender picks it up and drops it in the box and the ref played on 😂😂

Mr White
01-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Anyone remember when Dundee Utd scored a goal think v Partick or maybe the other way around? Anyway hits the net defender picks it up and drops it in the box and the ref played on 😂😂

Aye paddy connolly for utd at firhill. Les Mottram's finest moment.

theonlywayisup
01-10-2015, 08:41 PM
:greengrin I was actually about to post that myself.

I think some people are confusing the word "bizarre" with "controversial".

I think for some, English is a foreign language. (Sorry, can't do smileys).

Pete
Not a bizarre award but I remember Arsenal trying to take a penalty by passing it to another player and somehow messing it up. I always thought you had to have a direct shot on goal.

Baldy Foghorn
I actually thought the ball had crossed the line.

If you look at the ball on the close up image at 18 seconds, I would say that was over the line.

Still silly to take any chances without seeing the officials flag for a goal kick though.

That was my view too

eastterrace
01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Not a bizarre award but I remember Arsenal trying to take a penalty by passing it to another player and somehow messing it up. I always thought you had to have a direct shot on goal.

no as long as the ball goes forward you can pass it if you want as its still just a free kick.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2015, 08:52 PM

The only stipulation for a penalty kick is that the player taking the penalty, kicks the ball forward and they cannot touch the ball again until it has been touched by another player.

So when Pires touched the ball slightly with his boot, Henry could have come in and taken the shot and scored a perfectly good goal.

Unfortunately for them it didn't quite work out that way. :tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Yes certainly a bizzare incident, hard to tell from the angle we can see but I guess that looking along the line, the linesman could see that the whole diameter of the ball was not over the line, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Pete
02-10-2015, 05:26 AM
The only thing that's bizzare is the fact were collectively talking about jolly sporting incidents in Saudi.

Were there no bizarre incidents in the Syrian premiership? Maybe they've all been gassed by their own leader lol.

For all we know somebody involved in that Saudi incident has had their hands chopped off or worse.

Onceinawhile
02-10-2015, 06:45 AM

Ajax were able to do it properly.

https://youtu.be/aX0w60OzjJw

lyonhibs
02-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Did that thug Julian Brellier not get a 2nd yellow in Europe for not having taped over his earring as is required?

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Willie Miller. Dunfermline v Hibs. 2nd yellow and got sent off for it. Unprofessional to say the least!!

I was sitting just in front of him when he jumped up and caught the ball as it was going out of play. It was like a kid stopping the ball going into a burn. No reason for it and no advantage gained.
Funny in hindsight tho

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Years ago Ron Yeats of Liverpoolheard a whistle from the crowd and picked the ball up. Ref gave penalty and Shanks went mental.

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2015, 09:32 AM
I was sitting just in front of him when he jumped up and caught the ball as it was going out of play. It was like a kid stopping the ball going into a burn. No reason for it and no advantage gained.
Funny in hindsight tho

Yet the way I recall it MIller was actually standing behind the line, jumped up, caught it and went to take the throw. Obviously as we know the referee gave a foul etc. Again, age may be kicking in but were we not being beaten and he was in a hurry to get going?

Onceinawhile
02-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Did that thug Julian Brellier not get a 2nd yellow in Europe for not having taped over his earring as is required?

I think the first yellow was for that, in the tunnel possibly.

Keith_M
03-10-2015, 08:06 AM
I remember an incident at Celtc Park, possibly in the 90s, where a ball boy picked the ball up before it had actually left the pitch.

The officials seemed to be at a loss as to what should actually happen next. I think they had one of those 'drop ball' scenarios.

I bet the guy responsible has never heard the end of it :)

PiemanP
03-10-2015, 08:20 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI

1 minute onwards, good old Scottish refereeing. It led to the removal of
stanchions in the goals.

Speedy
03-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Was there not a penalty last week where a keeper was sent off and conceded a penalty for violent conduct in the box?

alhibby
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Can recall being at Dens Park many years ago for Dundee v Hibs, must be late 60s , ball was trickling out for a goal kick to Dundee out by the corner flag but the ball boy picked it up about a foot from the line, Ref awarded Hibs a corner ! Much gnashing of teeth from the Dundee players and floods of tears from the poor ball boy.Needless to say, nothing came of it :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
03-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Game against Dunfermline (I think) about 10 years ago when one of their players handled it, the ref pointed to the spot then changed his mind. Apparently he told Scott Brown he couldn't find his whistle.

Many a dive by Petrov back in the day although to be fair to the refs he had perfected the 'art' of diving.

Waxy
04-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Years ago Ron Yeats of Liverpoolheard a whistle from the crowd and picked the ball up. Ref gave penalty and Shanks went mental.Remember an Asian team in the world (early 80s i think) heard a whistle from the crowd and stopped playing.Think they conceded a goal and the team walked off the pitch.

jgl07
04-10-2015, 12:57 PM
The only stipulation for a penalty kick is that the player taking the penalty, kicks the ball forward and they cannot touch the ball again until it has been touched by another player.

So when Pires touched the ball slightly with his boot, Henry could have come in and taken the shot and scored a perfectly good goal.

Unfortunately for them it didn't quite work out that way. :tee hee:
Manchester City tried a variant of that in the 1950s with the apparent penalty taker jumping over the ball and a second player following up and scoring. It was devised by Don Revie I think. It was ruled out because the ball had not been touched by the designated penalty taker and was not in play. The penalty had to be retaken. They later tried the same approach but moving the ball forward from the spot for the following up player to score.

I think that the ball has to move forward by at least its own diameter to be in play.