PDA

View Full Version : Ross County -a bigger club than Hearts

Not In The Know
01-10-2015, 07:01 AM
http://m.scotsman.com/business/how-much-are-scotland-s-top-football-clubs-worth-1-3903530

:wink:

lucky
01-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Also Hibs valued as the biggest club in Scotland out with the Old Firm

Ozyhibby
01-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Shows what a good deal HSL is if Hibs are worth £14m and we are getting to buy 50% for £2.5m.
Get signing up folks. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 08:23 AM
That's such a simplistic way of valuing football clubs. I haven't seen the full report, but I would be surprised if the authors relied on such a crude method.

Would you really have to pay £14m for Hibs? Would you really only have to pay £1.1 for Hearts?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
01-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Have they not simply taken the book value published in each club's most recent accounts?

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Have they not simply taken the book value published in each club's most recent accounts?
Yup.

Bostonhibby
01-10-2015, 08:39 AM
If we are talking about a moral and ethical standpoint they are indeed, but then again who isn't? they are maybe last equal with the now defunct Glasgow rangers on that one. It's a shame this sort of headline is doing the rounds as they are normally very sensitive to attacks on their much heralded bigness.

CRAZYHIBBY
01-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Does it not say - £14m

Ringothedog
01-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Does it not say - £14m

No, it is a hyphen. The club's with a minus value have "minus" beside them.

erin go bragh
01-10-2015, 10:16 AM
So the list looks like this [Hearts scrape in joint 9th]

Celtic 46.6 m
The Rangers 31.5
Hibernian 14.9
Killie 10.9
Aberdeen 7.3
Thistle 4.5
Ross C 3.5
St Johnstone 1.8
Dundee Utd 1.1
Hearts 1.1
Well 737,400 k
ICT 291,800
Hamilton minus 102,700
Dundee minus 115 k

GGTTH

Spike Mandela
01-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Hearts...officially THE WEE TEAM.:cb

Ozyhibby
01-10-2015, 10:34 AM
It appears to be the break up value of the clubs if they ceased trading tomorrow.

Deansy
01-10-2015, 10:37 AM
That's such a simplistic way of valuing football clubs. I haven't seen the full report, but I would be surprised if the authors relied on such a crude method.

Would you really have to pay £14m for Hibs? Would you really only have to pay £1.1 for Hearts?

I've no idea if the figures are right/wrong but it's certainly rattled that 'paper's resident/regular Jambo-posters - as it can indeed be read as this thread's title and that Ross County are BIGGER than them, it's guaranteed to have them all frothing at the mouth as their fixation with 'SIZE' is legendary !!

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 10:41 AM
It appears to be the break up value of the clubs if they ceased trading tomorrow.

That's what they are, but based on the break-up values at their last published accounting date. In our case, July 2014.

Spike Mandela
01-10-2015, 11:14 AM
If recent football administrations prove anything it is that football clubs ar only worth what someone is prepared to pay .............or should that be what people con the creditors into believing is all they would get.for the club and it's assets.

Peevemor
01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
These figures can all be taken with a pinch of salt. All that matters for the majority of Scottish clubs (because in most cases there aren't many (any) players worth millions) is how much they have in the bank (or not) and the value of their property - the stadium in most cases. The valuation of a football stadium is difficult - if you take ER for example, you could say that it's worth £25m, ie. the value of the land + the cost of the stands, however in real terms the land sell-on value is the only thing that counts.

Across the city, our pink neighbours may be showing a positive value, but in reality their stadium could almost be viewed as a liablity given the money that will have to be spent.

Bad Martini
01-10-2015, 11:35 AM
These figures can all be taken with a pinch of salt. All that matters for the majority of Scottish clubs (because in most cases there aren't many (any) players worth millions) is how much they have in the bank (or not) and the value of their property - the stadium in most cases. The valuation of a football stadium is difficult - if you take ER for example, you could say that it's worth £25m, ie. the value of the land + the cost of the stands, however in real terms the land sell-on value is the only thing that counts.

Across the city, our pink neighbours may be showing a positive value, but in reality their stadium could almost be viewed as a liablity given the money that will have to be spent.

Bollocks. It's no easy to build an extra 384,000 seats ye ken :greengrin

Stop giving them it tight just because they drink from puddles, have eyebrows that are far too close together to be natural and talk mair pish than yer average drunken slaverer doon the grassmarket on a Saturday night :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
01-10-2015, 11:38 AM
A clubs value would probably be more accurately assessed by looking at it the way they do pubs .... a boozers sale value is gauged by its potential or actual turnover rather than what the pubs fittings and fixtures or the building is worth. From that point of view we would probably be the 5th biggest club with potential to be 4th or even 3rd if we got things right on the park on a long term basis.

If the figures are accurate its testament to how well some owners are running their clubs, at least off the park ... how the hell the likes of Killie and St Johnston are not in negative equity with the poor crowds they get is beyond me.

Peevemor
01-10-2015, 11:42 AM
A clubs value would probably be more accurately assessed by looking at it the way they do pubs .... a boozers sale value is gauged by its potential or actual turnover rather than what the pubs fittings and fixtures or the building is worth. From that point of view we would probably be the 5th biggest club with potential to be 4th or even 3rd if we got things right on the park on a long term basis.

If the figures are accurate its testament to how well some owners are running their clubs, at least off the park ... how the hell the likes of Killie and St Johnston are not in negative equity with the poor crowds they get is beyond me.

I agree, though it depends on the purpose of the valuation.

AndyM_1875
01-10-2015, 11:51 AM

Killie had their debts written off and they hold additional land and businesses.

St Johnstone have a loyal if small band of supporters and have never been in debt. Them and Inverness are probably the best run clubs in Scotland.
Geoff Brown has run that club superbly. He once said if they were relegated again they would look to going part time as the club always runs to budget.

chinaman
01-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Killie had their debts written off and they hold additional land and businesses.

St Johnstone have a loyal if small band of supporters and have never been in debt. Them and Inverness are probably the best run clubs in Scotland.
Geoff Brown has run that club superbly. He once said if they were relegated again they would look to going part time as the club always runs to budget.
Ross County are owned by Roy mcgregor multi millionaire and all round decent man plus county's training facilities are superb and paid for out of mcgregors own pocket.
lnverNess thistle got handouts from the common good fund totalling 3/4 0f a million pound. County are much better ran .

Bostonhibby
01-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Talking about the biggest, I wondered if it was the yam or the team formerly known as Glasgow rangers who had the biggest number of creditors that never got paid, and which one it was that admitted to the biggest debt in their own published creditors list?

Keith_M
01-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Totally meaningless figures.

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Totally meaningless figures.

They are.

Now that I've read the report, it's clear that it isn't BDO that compiled the so-called ranking, it's the Scotsman themselves.

:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
01-10-2015, 03:12 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/business/how-much-are-scotland-s-top-football-clubs-worth-1-3903530

:wink:

Some surprising figures in there.............

MJN1875
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
So the list looks like this [Hearts scrape in joint 9th]

Celtic 46.6 m
The Rangers 31.5
Hibernian 14.9
Killie 10.9
Aberdeen 7.3
Thistle 4.5
Ross C 3.5
St Johnstone 1.8
Dundee Utd 1.1
Hearts 1.1
Well 737,400 k
ICT 291,800
Hamilton minus 102,700
Dundee minus 115 k

GGTTH

What are these values based on?

The kilie value surprises me.

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 07:16 PM
What are these values based on?

The kilie value surprises me.
The latest published accounts. Book value of assets less debts.

MJN1875
01-10-2015, 07:57 PM
The latest published accounts. Book value of assets less debts.

Thanks 👍🏻

Bayern Bru
02-10-2015, 06:16 AM
They are.

Now that I've read the report, it's clear that it isn't BDO that compiled the so-called ranking, it's the Scotsman themselves.

:rolleyes:

Actually, from reading the article, it looks like companycheck.co.uk is where the figures came from?

CropleyWasGod
02-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Actually, from reading the article, it looks like companycheck.co.uk is where the figures came from?
Company Check is a commercial site, which gets its data from Companies Houses, where all Limited Companies publish their accounts.

It's the Scotsman that has decided that those figures represent the value of the companies.

greenginger
02-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Dont think a single club have published their 14/15 accounts yet.

weird time to be trying to analyse football finance. Probably shows the Scotsman as being clueless.

steakbake
02-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Nonsense article which plumbed new depths in ridiculousness by the sidestepping of The Rangers new club issue.

PatHead
02-10-2015, 08:58 AM
When tables publishing the "Richest Club in the World" are published does anyone know the criteria?

greenginger
02-10-2015, 01:17 PM
When tables publishing the "Richest Club in the World" are published does anyone know the criteria?

I think it is all about turnover.

Tinribs
02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

One pound ten for Hearts is still overpriced tbh :greengrin