PDA

View Full Version : Experienced creative midfielder

KWJ
29-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Is this what we're missing when trying to unlock teams that are happy to defend deep?

Even with Scott Allan we had this problem at times and maybe it's no surprise considering the age of our creative players.

When we were in 98-99 we had Latapy and Sauzee who, along with their great skill, were able to keep the head and wait for the right opportunity to open games up.

We're not going to own a player like that again but perhaps there's somebody we could pick up on a free still that could do the job as required from the bench. I'm thinking someone that's between a Barry Robson and a Kris Commons, maybe even Garry Harkins.

If not, could be a loan option in January in place of one our strikers.

Doubt it'll happen but a cool head coming on with 15 minutes to spare in games like Saturday's could be what we need in the short term over a talented young player with potential whose frustrated and trying too hard.

****, just bring wee Russ back!

J-C
29-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Is this what we're missing when trying to unlock teams that are happy to defend deep?

Even with Scott Allan we had this problem at times and maybe it's no surprise considering the age of our creative players.

When we were in 98-99 we had Latapy and Sauzee who, along with their great skill, were able to keep the head and wait for the right opportunity to open games up.

We're not going to own a player like that again but perhaps there's somebody we could pick up on a free still that could do the job as required from the bench. I'm thinking someone that's between a Barry Robson and a Kris Commons, maybe even Garry Harkins.

Doubt it'll happen but a cool head coming on with 15 minutes to spare in games like Saturday's could be what we need in the short term over a talented young player with potential whose frustrated and trying too hard.

:agree: I mentioned on a couple of other threads that our midfield is too samey and is very inexperienced.

Not In The Know
29-09-2015, 08:37 PM
I feel the inability to open teams up is all down to the way we play.

When we do open them up its more often than not down to the full backs pushing forward. And when we don't (last two the Rangers matches last season) it's due to teams shutting this avenue down. Or our full backs not being on their game.

It leaves our very narrow midfield up against usually two banks of four opposition players. It's very crowded and in my opinion Cummings et al don't have the game intelligence to make space or link the play.

When keatings was in the team we hit a bit form With him offering something a bit different.

Alfred E Newman
29-09-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't think there is much wrong with the mid field it just seems that there is a reluctance to take the ball to the by line. You can hear the groans around the ground as players constantly surge forward then stop , turn , and pass the ball inside.
It happens so often, with Stevenson the main offender, that you feel it has to be part of the game plan.

cmcd
29-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I don't think there is much wrong with the mid field it just seems that there is a reluctance to take the ball to the by line. You can hear the groans around the ground as players constantly surge forward then stop , turn , and pass the ball inside.
It happens so often, with Stevenson the main offender, that you feel it has to be part of the game plan.
Lewis only does that when no one is showing for the ball

StevieBoyKdy
29-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Most of our play comes through the middle for me Lewis and gray should be hugging the touch line considering how much possession we have but it always seems to get tight with all our play going in the centre. If I was boss id want to see the chalk on their boots after the games.

Smartie
29-09-2015, 09:46 PM
If there was a player that I could take from our last promotion side then it would be Mixu (shading it just ahead of Latapy).

We were bang average until Mixu arrived then he transformed the way we played (although Latapy's arrival shortly after most certainly helped as well).

We've played enough punts up the park over the past few weeks for it to be worth our while having someone up there that might win a header. Cummings, Malonga or Boyle would all play better up there with a big man rather than each other.

When our sideways passes find their way to the fullbacks then they might sling more crosses in knowing that a Mixu might just get on the end of it. And even if he didn't, he'd make it difficult enough to defend in there and we might pick up on scraps as a result.

He'd also be able to hold it in to feet and allow midfield runners to get up beside him (as he did to great effect with Latapy in that team) although to be fair Cummings and Malonga do a decent enough job of this as it is.

Biggest thing we lack imo is a target man.

eastterrace
29-09-2015, 10:04 PM
If there was a player that I could take from our last promotion side then it would be Mixu (shading it just ahead of Latapy).

We were bang average until Mixu arrived then he transformed the way we played (although Latapy's arrival shortly after most certainly helped as well).

We've played enough punts up the park over the past few weeks for it to be worth our while having someone up there that might win a header. Cummings, Malonga or Boyle would all play better up there with a big man rather than each other.

When our sideways passes find their way to the fullbacks then they might sling more crosses in knowing that a Mixu might just get on the end of it. And even if he didn't, he'd make it difficult enough to defend in there and we might pick up on scraps as a result.

He'd also be able to hold it in to feet and allow midfield runners to get up beside him (as he did to great effect with Latapy in that team) although to be fair Cummings and Malonga do a decent enough job of this as it is.

we have a target man in farid el aliqui but he is injured. him and cummings up front would be the pairing

CallumLaidlaw
30-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Ronaldinho is available on a free :greengrin

lyonhibs
30-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Beat me to it by a bawhair.

He'd get us playing "The Hibs Way" no problems. Edinburgh is such a beautiful city and with our world famous training facilities and the fact that the Famous 5 probably taught his grandad how to play football, if anything, Ronaldinho owes it to us....................

WeeRussell
30-09-2015, 11:51 AM

F*** sake - we've just managed to get rid of the George St culture :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
30-09-2015, 12:25 PM
We have three quality creative midfielders already and a holding midfielder behind. The balance is perfect. The midfield is fine. In fact, the squad is broadly fine, looking at the talent we have now.

It's all about developing a winning culture, finding the appropriate tactics for the situation, and Stubbs applying a boot to the baws occasionally when we're not upping the tempo. We seem to have forgotten how to switch from slow to fast.

erin go bragh
30-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Mixu before Latapy ? Really . Latapy every time for me .

GGTTH

Smartie
30-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Mixu before Latapy ? Really . Latapy every time for me .

GGTTH

Yep, Mixu just shades it.

The best and most important signing we have made in my time watching Hibs.

Not the best player but the most influential signing.

A Mixu would make the world of difference to our team.

Would Latapy create much more with our wide players and forwards than our current midfielders are doing?

Waxy
30-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I reckon getting Farid back up front asap will have a good increase on our goals scored column. Check out his header for our first in the last derby.

Smartie
30-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I reckon getting Farid back up front asap will have a good increase on our goals scored column. Check out his header for our first in the last derby.

:agree:

I also remember a dodgy League Cup tie at the start of last season against Dumbarton.

Jordan Forster slung a fairly ordinary ball onto the box from out on the right wing, Farid got on the end of it and scored a cracking header where he really had an awful lot still to do.

Had Farid not had the injury problems he has had over the past year and a bit, our fortunes as a club might have been much different.

My only reservation is that he was (reasonably) fit, available and played a part in the SC semi and some of our other games (such as the 2nd leg of the playoff) towards the end of last season without having too drastic an impact.

J-C
30-09-2015, 03:19 PM
:agree:

I also remember a dodgy League Cup tie at the start of last season against Dumbarton.

Jordan Forster slung a fairly ordinary ball onto the box from out on the right wing, Farid got on the end of it and scored a cracking header where he really had an awful lot still to do.

Had Farid not had the injury problems he has had over the past year and a bit, our fortunes as a club might have been much different.

My only reservation is that he was (reasonably) fit, available and played a part in the SC semi and some of our other games (such as the 2nd leg of the playoff) towards the end of last season without having too drastic an impact.

He had a few wee problems with the achilles, something to do with a screw rubbing somewhere, also he has knee problems, bone on bone and arthritis, he's getting near the end of his career physical wise.

erin go bragh
30-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Yep, Mixu just shades it.

The best and most important signing we have made in my time watching Hibs.

Not the best player but the most influential signing.

A Mixu would make the world of difference to our team.

Would Latapy create much more with our wide players and forwards than our current midfielders are doing?

Latapy would score double figures ,then double that for his assists .
Loved Mixu too but Sauzee and Latapy were a class above .

GGTTH

GGTTH

Golden Bear
30-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Not quite a thread hijack, but it's almost an hour since anything was posted on Hibs Net, it's a very, very slow news day!

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Not quite a thread hijack, but it's almost an hour since anything was posted on Hibs Net, it's a very, very slow news day!

or rather 16 mins :wink:

Golden Bear
30-09-2015, 04:37 PM
or rather 16 mins :wink:

Ah, the PM Forum is only for those and such as those so it disnae really count.

:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Ah, the PM Forum is only for those and such as those so it disnae really count.

:greengrin

nah not at all, very seldom on PM forum...i use ispy :)

Alfred E Newman
30-09-2015, 05:41 PM

Hopes to be back in two weeks. :I'm waiti:I'm waiti

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Another midfielder is the least of our needs
What we missed last Saturday, was a target man prepared to bump and shove in the penalty box and try to win second balls.

Danderhall Hibs
01-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Another midfielder is the least of our needs
What we missed last Saturday, was a target man prepared to bump and shove in the penalty box and try to win second balls.

There weren't any balls into the box though - if we add a target man we need to add player(s) that can put decent balls in. We're relying on 2 defenders with average distribution just now.

HappyAsHellas
01-10-2015, 08:37 AM
When Farid came on in the last play off game he single handedly created havoc in der hun defence with his aerial ability and the fact that there was a target for anyone with the ball in their half. The players will know there's no point hitting high crosses into the box with no one to challenge for them. When Farid is back I think we'll see a different approach.