PDA

View Full Version : would a bonus point system work in football

bigwheel
28-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Watching the RWC and the bonus point system they use can really make big changes the outcomes of the groups.

The bonus point system offers extra to both winners and losers - you get an extra point for scoring 4 or more tries and even the loser gets a point if they are within one converted try - 7 points...

This encourages both teams to attack - even if you are losing...to try to get to within (say) one goal...

I know football is not up for big changes...but might be interesting....

what do people think?

Haymaker
28-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Not for me. Go out and score more than you concede and you get the goal difference bonus anyway.

Centre Hawf
28-09-2015, 08:31 PM
I would like to see a scenario where they do away with draws and after 90 minutes it goes to a shoot out. I remember the old NASL used to do a 10 second challenge instead of penalties to decide winners.

Alfred E Newman
28-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Watching the RWC and the bonus point system they use can really make big changes the outcomes of the groups.

The bonus point system offers extra to both winners and losers - you get an extra point for scoring 4 or more tries and even the loser gets a point if they are within one converted try - 7 points...

This encourages both teams to attack - even if you are losing...to try to get to within (say) one goal...

what do people think?

This was the thinking when they changed the rules to make it 3 points for a win instead if 2.

Del Boy
28-09-2015, 08:37 PM
No. Leave it as it is.

Geo_1875
28-09-2015, 08:52 PM
No. Overly complicated for football. They can't work out a sensible offside rule. Imagine the mess they"d make of this.

Michael
28-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Would be interesting to use the league cup to experiment with rule changes. It could make quite an exciting cup group stage.

eastterrace
28-09-2015, 08:54 PM

what do people think?

just as well we dont have that at the moment as der hun would be even further ahead. but its a good idea in the rugby world cup tho.

StevieBoyKdy
28-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Don't watch rugby but at work were taking about changes you would make to football. One being 0 points for a nil nil. Point for a score draw. Extra point if you win and scored more than 3/4 goals.

Sir David Gray
28-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Nah no thanks.

Thecat23
28-09-2015, 09:17 PM
I'd do away with the offside rule for the last 20 mins of every game 😁

Andy74
28-09-2015, 09:28 PM

what do people think?

I think nothing good comes from watching that guff.

Thegreenside
28-09-2015, 09:37 PM
No, but we should look into the way they ref the game different class

eastterrace
28-09-2015, 09:42 PM
I think nothing good comes from watching that guff.

the atmosphere at some of the big games is fantastic, you should give it a try. the wales england game was pure theatre even tho i dont know all the rules it was great to watch.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2015, 10:16 PM
The better teams would just be even further ahead.

Jones28
28-09-2015, 10:49 PM
0-0 draw should be no points IMO, way better to see teams going for it.

J-C
28-09-2015, 11:56 PM
How about simply 4 points for an away win and 0 points for 0-0 draw, this would force teams to play instead of shutting up shop every time they play a bigger team away.

hctroubador
29-09-2015, 12:39 AM
I think the three points for a win and one for a draw is likely the best system. The table doesn't lie and too many draws will kill a team that was ts to contend. On a similar line my change of choice would be getting rid of away goals in two legged comps. The logic was sound but the reality is it causes such defensive football. Better a straight up aggregate shootout imo.

--------
29-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Home loss by any number of goals - no points
Home draw - 1 point
Home win by any number of goals - 3 points
Away loss by 3 goals or more - no points
Away loss by 1 goal - 1 point
Away draw - 2 points
Away win by 1 goal - 3 points
Away win by 3 goals or more - 4 points

Works in speedway.

bigwheel
29-09-2015, 03:46 AM
Home loss by any number of goals - no points
Home draw - 1 point
Home win by any number of goals - 3 points
Away loss by 3 goals or more - no points
Away loss by 1 goal - 1 point
Away draw - 2 points
Away win by 1 goal - 3 points
Away win by 3 goals or more - 4 points

Works in speedway.

That sounds interesting to me ...

Steve20
29-09-2015, 04:57 AM
No. Leave it as it is. All this extra points is nonsense. Also suggesting 0 points for a 0-0 draw? That's even worse.

Rugby is dreadful. That's why they have all those silly points systems.

AZhibee
29-09-2015, 05:37 AM
As long as this is a hypothetical thread; why not just play till someone scores. Or perhaps 0 points for a draw.

PeterboroHibee
29-09-2015, 06:26 AM
I dont think 0 points for a 0-0 draw is a bad idea. Some 0-0's can be exciting, but often its because at least one team has just come and shut up shop to get something. Its hardly great viewing watching 10-11 men camped out on the edge of their box for 90 minutes (for either set of fans).

There are probably far more pressing matters however, with current refereeing being one of them!

Jones28
29-09-2015, 06:46 AM
No. Leave it as it is. All this extra points is nonsense. Also suggesting 0 points for a 0-0 draw? That's even worse.

Rugby is dreadful. That's why they have all those silly points systems.

Rugby is moving with the times and changing to try and make things more exciting. I'm not a huge fan but the idea of making things more exciting in football is something that has to be looked at, especially here where fans drift away in their hundreds every season.

Onceinawhile
29-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Rugby is moving with the times and changing to try and make things more exciting. I'm not a huge fan but the idea of making things more exciting in football is something that has to be looked at, especially here where fans drift away in their hundreds every season.

Yes rugby is trying to be more exciting. Football doesn't need to as it isn't criminally dull at all levels.

We're essentially comparing the world cup of rugby to scottish football's second tier and wondering why we come off worse.

Jones28
29-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Yes rugby is trying to be more exciting. Football doesn't need to as it isn't criminally dull at all levels.

We're essentially comparing the world cup of rugby to scottish football's second tier and wondering why we come off worse.

I don't see why this conversation should be limited to us and our situation? Why wouldn't all of football benifit from a bonus points system?

bigwheel
29-09-2015, 07:02 AM

It's a discussion about whether a revamp of the points system would help football in general - it wasn't anything to do with us or the division we are in.....

Mathias Jack
29-09-2015, 09:57 AM
No, but we should look into the way they ref the game different class

Amen, I've been saying to some pals for ages. I'm not saying scrutinise every decision, the pace of football is what makes it exciting.

More to do with the captain; get him more involved in the responsibility for his players. Works a treat in rugby, the odd scrap does occur, but it's no worse than what was seen at Stamford Bridge the other week against Arsenal.

Smartie
29-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Part of what is great about football is the art of defending. There is great merit in getting a clean sheet so it would be ridiculous (imo) if you were not to give a point for a 0-0 draw (which might be a very creditable result).

I totally agree with those mentioning the refereeing though - and I think this needs to come from the referees. They bring far too much of it on themselves in football and don't command the respect of the players anything like enough. It is considered to be a good thing when they don't show cards in football - a few yellow and red cards in the first 10 minutes of games for players "answering back" and you'll soon see it disappear.

The culture is all wrong, especially when managers (and players, and fans fwiw) can blame poor results on one refereeing decision instead of several poor decisions by managers or players over the course of a game.

Geo_1875
29-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Part of what is great about football is the art of defending. There is great merit in getting a clean sheet so it would be ridiculous (imo) if you were not to give a point for a 0-0 draw (which might be a very creditable result).

I totally agree with those mentioning the refereeing though - and I think this needs to come from the referees. They bring far too much of it on themselves in football and don't command the respect of the players anything like enough. It is considered to be a good thing when they don't show cards in football - a few yellow and red cards in the first 10 minutes of games for players "answering back" and you'll soon see it disappear.

The culture is all wrong, especially when managers (and players, and fans fwiw) can blame poor results on one refereeing decision instead of several poor decisions by managers or players over the course of a game.

Totally agree but where do we get these referees that command respect?

J-C
29-09-2015, 10:28 AM

I've said it before, get ex pros to be refs, most of the rugby refs are ex players as are the NFL ones, they'll understand more of what's going on in the game as they played it at a decent level.

Smartie
29-09-2015, 10:28 AM

A very fair point.

I think that as much video evidence as possible should be used to help them. They cannot possibly see everything so they should be given every opportunity to get things right. That would help them get a bit of respect.

In games where that might not be available players should just accept that there is a guy doing his best in there and if the players get a bit lippy then they can sit out part of the game. Referees bring a lot of their problems on themselves by tolerating poor player discipline.

They should also show a bit of humility from time to time themselves - hold their hands up when they get it wrong and explain contentious decisions that they stand by in the face of criticism.

rcarter1
29-09-2015, 10:51 AM
I love a rule change thread! :thumbsup:

No points for 0-0 is however not for me. For two teams needing points (but are not competing directly in terms of league position), the sensible thing to do in that situation is to allow each other a goal, and then play on from there. Also a 0-0 can be a really good result if you are playing a really difficult opponent (home or away). As others have said, clean sheets should have some value.

Do think a restructured league, with a return of a mini league for League cup, would get me interested. It's like a mini World Cup, shakes things up, and would motivate me more than a late in the season middle of the table clash in the SPL. The mini league format would be great for trying new rules (if this allowed by FIFA?).

Many people resist change, but done well it can improve and freshen things up. And if it doesn't work well, its easily scrapped. Goalden and Silver goals sounded interesting. No world wars were fought over the consequences, and in the end were scrapped. It doesn't mean that other changes don't benefit the game - pass back rule being a great move IMO.

Oscar T Grouch
29-09-2015, 11:39 AM
I think the bonus point system was brought into the RWC to prevent the better teams from getting hoofed in the first stage if they had one or two bad games or shock results. Look at South Africa, they got two points for the defeat against Japan, one for four tries and one for losing margin less than a converted try. It really does work in rugby and in the RWC format. Football is a different game and this wouldn't work imo.

J-C
29-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I think the bonus point system was brought into the RWC to prevent the better teams from getting hoofed in the first stage if they had one or two bad games or shock results. Look at South Africa, they got two points for the defeat against Japan, one for four tries and one for losing margin less than a converted try. It really does work in rugby and in the RWC format. Football is a different game and this wouldn't work imo.

The bonus points system in rugby is nothing new, it was trialled in France in 2007 and has been used in the Heineken Cup for the past few years, the Aviva premiership introduced it this year

Danderhall Hibs
29-09-2015, 12:40 PM
The bonus points system in rugby is nothing new, it was trialled in France in 2007 and has been used in the Heineken Cup for the past few years, the Aviva premiership introduced it this year

Had it in the Scottish League when I was playing Div 2 and 3 back in the early 2000s.

Oscar T Grouch
29-09-2015, 12:55 PM

I don't think I said it was introduced in this world cup, but I believe the reasons I give were the reasons for it's introduction, I am as ever happy to be corrected, not being an egg chaser myself, my kiwi pal told me :greengrin if you can't trust a kiwi about rugby who can you?

dangermouse
29-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Picking up on giving the referee help, maybe if these megalomaniacs in the middle empowered their assistants to help them out rather than just wave a flag when they are told to we may see more informed decisions.

Look at the difference in the EPL between what an assistant does there and up here, night and day.

Hibee87
29-09-2015, 03:13 PM
The only rule I would take from the rugger is the stopping of the clock. It would be great if the time was stopped till the ball was in play, and i mean at every time its not. goal kick, free kick, throw in, corner etc......it would cut out all the time wasting tactics of teams and the diving about rolling around like they had been shot.

WeeRussell
30-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I think The Rangers and Celtic should get a bonus point every time they turn up against any other team in Scotland.

flash
30-09-2015, 12:23 PM
I think The Rangers and Celtic should get a bonus point every time they turn up against any other team in Scotland.

That is being trialled this season with The Rangers weekly penalty.