PDA

View Full Version : Take a bow Ian Murray

keep the faith
26-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Last year's Dumbarton side played with 10 behind the ball and fouled all through the games we played. This year's St Mirren team are exactly the same.
Grim stuff from a manager who spent the last 5 mins today looking at his watch while the thugs on the pitch played anti football.
Not a future Hibs manager in a million years!

JimBHibees
26-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Last year's Dumbarton side played with 10 behind the ball and fouled all through the games we played. This year's St Mirren team are exactly the same.
Grim stuff from a manager who spent the last 5 mins today looking at his watch while the thugs on the pitch played anti football.

Tend to agree actually thought they should have had a bit more belief they could have nicked a winner.

DaveF
26-09-2015, 06:16 PM
I thought they had 2 very disciplined banks of 4 but always left 2 up top.

Wilson
26-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Tend to agree actually thought they should have had a bit more belief they could have nicked a winner.

Got his tactics spot on. They took the lead after all and I reckon he would have taken a point before the game. Underestimated as a manager. Got some impressive results with limited resources at Dumbarton. Still to develop in his role as a full time manager at the saints. Too early to be quoted or otherwise for the hibs job I think.

DH1875
26-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah, poor show playing for a point and getting it away from home.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-09-2015, 06:24 PM
I thought they had 2 very disciplined banks of 4 but always left 2 up top.

At times it was a back eight, but no matter how many people decry it,it had us stumped.

bookert
26-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Op harsh, we were poor and I thought st mirren were worth a point.

lord bunberry
26-09-2015, 06:26 PM

You must have watched a different game from me

keep the faith
26-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Looks like I am in a minority then it seems.

If some think setting out for a point and getting it through sitting behind the ball and fouling is great management then each to their own but I could not disagree more.

It's certainly not what I want to watch.

berwickhibee
26-09-2015, 06:31 PM

fair assessment, st Mirren and ian murray done their job today and we weren't good enough to beat them, we need a plan b, but our plan b up front are all injured.

Sir David Gray
26-09-2015, 06:32 PM

If some think setting out for a point and getting it through sitting behind the ball and fouling is great management then each to their own but I could not disagree more.

These teams are playing to their strengths though. They know that if they come out and attack and play an expansive game against us then they'll most likely lose by several goals.

It's terrible to watch but you can't really blame the players and managers for playing that way.

keep the faith
26-09-2015, 06:33 PM

You would like to see Hibs playing like that???

KWJ
26-09-2015, 06:34 PM
We couldn't break them down. Only time we got a decent ball across goal at 1-1 Henderson squaffed. Final ball was really poor today and maybe Cummings and Boyle should have got in better positions.

Stevenson and Gray didn't play badly and had great energy to constantly be a wide option but we shouldn't expect them to have precision crossing, they are defenders first and foremost.

MotM for me today was big Marv, no attacking player deserved more than a 5-6.

Gatecrasher
26-09-2015, 06:37 PM
These teams are playing to their strengths though. They know that if they come out and attack and play an expansive game against us then they'll most likely lose by several goals.

It's terrible to watch but you can't really blame the players and managers for playing that way.
"These teams" what sets St Mirren apart from some of these teams is that I'm sure st Mirren hope to be at least in the play offs this season. That won't happen if they play like that.

Sir David Gray
26-09-2015, 06:39 PM
"These teams" what sets St Mirren apart from some of these teams is that I'm sure st Mirren hope to be at least in the play offs this season. That won't happen if they play like that.

The current St Mirren side isn't good enough to play an attacking style of football against us and come away with a victory.

That was my point.

Gatecrasher
26-09-2015, 06:41 PM
The current St Mirren side isn't good enough to play an attacking style of football against us and come away with a victory.

That was my point.
they didn't play attacking football against Morton or Raith either.

matty_f
26-09-2015, 06:49 PM
St Mirren are ****ing rank. Bunch of cloggers, and that's being kind.

SanFranHibs
26-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Perhaps, we need to stop complaining about teams sitting in at ER. I recall quite a few Hibbies saying they would be happy with a point at Ibrox not too long ago. Had we got one there we would not have complained.

Also, if St. Mirren, who it must be remembered scored, got a point then they deserved it. Not their fault we were not good enough to break them down more than once.

We got a point because we did not deserve 3 points.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 06:51 PM

That's not the point though. Depends what you consider "playing" means. It's the manner by which that point was "won" - cheating - make no mistake time wasting is a form of cheating.

That's why a strong referee will take action early doors when he knows it's happening. Unfortunately, most referees seem to tolerate it, and basically turn a blind eye to it, or don't take action until the game is almost over. Too late by then of course as it's mission accomplished.

Add in every spoiling tactic, fouling, play acting, and trying to con the referee near the end into awarding a penalty, the yes you got that part right, it was indeed a very "poor show".

I just cannot understand how anyone who watched that today can defend it.

matty_f
26-09-2015, 06:52 PM
That's not the point though. Depends what you consider "playing" means. It's the manner by which that point was "won" - cheating - make no mistake time wasting is a form of cheating.

That's why a strong referee will take action early doors when he knows it's happening. Unfortunately, most referees seem to tolerate it, and basically turn a blind eye to it, or don't take action until the game is almost over. Too late by then of course as it's mission accomplished.

Add in every spoiling tactic, fouling, play acting, and trying to con the referee near the end into awarding a penalty, the yes you got that part right, it was indeed a very "poor show".

Completely agree.

DH1875
26-09-2015, 06:53 PM

Where did I say that???

Diclonius
26-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't want to see my team play that kind of football.

Sorry Murray but you're no longer my pick for next Hibs manager.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Completely agree.

:aok:

tamig
26-09-2015, 06:55 PM

I don't think he even suggested that. Just stating what looks like a valid point. They came for a draw and got it.

Onion
26-09-2015, 06:56 PM
St Mirren are ****ing rank. Bunch of cloggers, and that's being kind.

Agreed. Seen them a few times this season and they are very average. Problem is Hibs did not have the quality to break them down. St M were not our problem today, Hibs were just not smart enough to find the answers.

Albion Hibs
26-09-2015, 07:53 PM

there results to date have not been great. To come to our place and get a point is a good result, much like us getting a point at ibrox would be. We are kidding ourselves if we think teams home or away are going to play the way we want them to. Their keeper also had next to nothing to do all game.

Gatecrasher
26-09-2015, 07:58 PM
there results to date have not been great. To come to our place and get a point is a good result, much like us getting a point at ibrox would be. We are kidding ourselves if we think teams home or away are going to play the way we want them to. Their keeper also had next to nothing to do all game.
I think the problem might have been with St Mirren looking to get into the play offs and just relegated we might have actually watched a proper game of football today sadly that wasn't to be.

Franck Stanton
26-09-2015, 08:00 PM

That is the most worrying point in my opinion. Don't think he had a difficult save to make in the entire game.

Albion Hibs
26-09-2015, 08:08 PM
[/B]

That is the most worrying point in my opinion. Don't think he had a difficult save to make in the entire game.

If we want to get promoted we need to work this one out. I don't know of any team in any league that was won the title without being able to break down teams that sit in and defend. Realistically we are not used to being on this end of it, but it is part and parcel of being a team pushing to win the league. I am pretty such it will be very familiar ground for the Rangers. FWIW I thought St Mirren were worth there point, they came with a plan, got the first goal and took away a good point.

Sammy7nil
26-09-2015, 08:30 PM

So if we did that at Ibrox or Parkhead and got a point u would be disappointed?

snedzuk
26-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Did I imagine Mark Oxley getting booked on Wed for this - plus in fairness to a (very poor) ref he added plenty time on and booked the diving cheat - they wouldn't have wasted so much time if Hibs had been 2-1 up, but we weren't good enough to play around their 'tactics' today - their game plan worked ours didnt.

DH1875
26-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I think the problem might have been with St Mirren looking to get into the play offs and just relegated we might have actually watched a proper game of football today sadly that wasn't to be.

And what happens if they make the playoffs, play like that and knock us out?

Gatecrasher
26-09-2015, 08:57 PM
That's that's got nothing to do with what I posted, I was referring to what their ambitions for the season are and they aren't playing to match their ambitions. though I can't see them making the play offs and if they do we will beat them.

snedzuk
26-09-2015, 09:00 PM
[/B]

BBC stats - St M 2 shots 1 on target / Cabbage 4 shots, 3 on target - from 64% possession! Felt like more shots than that at the game but thinking back I don't recall Langfield being put under much pressure either.

Onion
26-09-2015, 09:01 PM
[/B]

:agree: yip, that's what Stubbs and Hibs need to look at. We created ZERO decent chances at home in the 2nd half, when we knew that a win was needed. IMO we are far, far too predictable and one paced. You can see the difference when Hibs decide to change up a gear or take a chance. Stubbs is far too cautious in his approach and we will all pay the price.

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Pointless blaming Murray, you can only urinate with the ***** you have and he set his under resourced stall out for a draw, which he achieved.

We should be crushing those teams at home - the Huns do it, and they are no great shakes. Our deficiency, not Ian Murray's.

PISTOL1875
26-09-2015, 09:34 PM
People can moan about St Mirren all they want.. The bigger picture is that we didn't have the quality to break them down.. It is simply not the fault of St Mirren that we cannot beat them.. The sole blame lies at the door of the players picked by Alan Stubbs..

Eyrie
26-09-2015, 09:50 PM

Then I'd be questioning why we weren't able to overcome such tactics when most teams we'll play this season set up like that against us.

St Mirren did what they needed to do to get a point. We didn't do what we needed to do to get all three.

anon1875
26-09-2015, 09:54 PM
A point away from home against us their biggest rivals for the play off spot is a great result. Did you go to the Aberdeen game and watch how we played? If Stubbs set us up to attack Aberdeen he would of been called tactically naive, same goes for Murray.

ronaldo7
26-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Ian Murray should just accept that he shouldn't bother going for a job like the Hibs Manager's. He's just not got it.

Thanks for your time Ian, but we hope to be moving in better circles than your current ones.

keep the faith
26-09-2015, 10:51 PM
So if we did that at Ibrox or Parkhead and got a point u would be disappointed?

Yes I would. I attended the Alex Miller years and it wasn't for me.

Leithenhibby
26-09-2015, 11:01 PM

:agree:

And we wonder why fans stay away. Teams that continually play this way are killing our game, imo :wink:

DH1875
27-09-2015, 12:44 AM
That's that's got nothing to do with what I posted, I was referring to what their ambitions for the season are and they aren't playing to match their ambitions. though I can't see them making the play offs and if they do we will beat them.

Sorry Gatey but it's got everything to do with it. Their ambition for the season is to finish in the playoff spots and if that means coming to ER and playing 10 men behind the ball in order to get a 1-1 draw then their matching those ambitions. All they need to do is finish 4th, play like that in the playoffs, knock us out, and their jobs done.
Do you honestly not see them making the playoffs? Reckon they will make top 4 easy.

Gatecrasher
27-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Sorry Gatey but it's got everything to do with it. Their ambition for the season is to finish in the playoff spots and if that means coming to ER and playing 10 men behind the ball in order to get a 1-1 draw then their matching those ambitions. All they need to do is finish 4th, play like that in the playoffs, knock us out, and their jobs done.
Do you honestly not see them making the playoffs? Reckon they will make top 4 easy.
I don't see them making the play offs, Raith and Falkirk look a lot better than them. Not to mention Morton getting off to a good start as well. A point done them no good yesterday in fact they are now further from the play offs than when the day started.

snooky
27-09-2015, 07:00 AM

Wasn't at the game however I read that they played two up front. How many did we?

bigwheel
27-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Wasn't at the game however I read that they played two up front. How many did we?

Not sure if you are trolling or not - but whilst that two up front is true- they were disconnected from their other 8 outfield players for most of the game - as the other 8 were largely in two banks of 4 just outside their own box

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 07:27 AM
I really can't understand the people slagging of the tactics of St Mirren and wonder if some folk actually understand the game of football at times.

Billy Whizz
27-09-2015, 07:32 AM
I really can't understand the people slagging of the tactics of St Mirren and wonder if some folk actually understand the game of football at times.

I agree, it was up to us to break them down. St Mirren were on poor form and came to ER to stop the rot, which they achieved

Hiber-nation
27-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Yep, some on here seem to expect a struggling under-performing team to come to ER and play right into our hands by trying to play open expansive football. Nothing wrong with their approach although Thompson probably should have been sent off. They actually have a couple of very good players and will improve.

ALF TUPPER
27-09-2015, 07:56 AM
I thought St Midden were a shower of thugs.

Hermit Crab
27-09-2015, 08:19 AM
That Goodwin runs the show for them. Dirty ******* but a decent player.

Joe's ice cream
27-09-2015, 08:24 AM
I thought St Midden were a shower of thugs.

This - we created enough opportunities to win the game- disappointed we didn't take them to get the 3 points- not sure how Murray or his team are getting plaudits on this thread tbh for the way they set up exactly as that didn't stop us creating chances - our inability to finish the chances off was where the problem was

emerald green
27-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Does "tactics" include time wasting from start to finish? What's there not to understand about slagging off time wasting? The more this sort of stuff is slagged off the better IMHO. I just think it's a form of cheating. It will continue so long as referees allow it to go on.

Please don't quote Mark Oxley. There was no comparison between him and what Langfield got away with throughout yesterday's match.

I agree, it was up to us to break them down. St Mirren were on poor form and came to ER to stop the rot, which they achieved

Yes, I agree it was up to Hibs to break them down. Something Hibs failed miserably to do in the second half. Presumably by stopping the rot that means by fair means or foul? I don't believe St Mirren should be congratulated for that is my point.

B.H.F.C
27-09-2015, 10:17 AM
That Goodwin runs the show for them. Dirty ******* but a decent player.

Didn't think he ran the show at all. And don't think he's a decent player.

It was just the usual story of us not taking our chances and not breaking a team down.

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Does "tactics" include time wasting from start to finish? What's there not to understand about slagging off time wasting? The more this sort of stuff is slagged off the better IMHO. I just think it's a form of cheating. It will continue so long as referees allow it to go on.

Please don't quote Mark Oxley. There was no comparison between him and what Langfield got away with throughout yesterday's match.

Yes, I agree it was up to Hibs to break them down. Something Hibs failed miserably to do in the second half. Presumably by stopping the rot that means by fair means or foul? I don't believe St Mirren should be congratulated for that is my point.

I have never known someone so hung up on time wasting in my life. Don't quote Oxley, why? Maybe because he got booked for it on Wednesday and does it to suit the situation like many others do and it blows your argument up! Time wasting aside,St Mirren stuck to their plan and earned an away point, we dropped two at home!

emerald green
27-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I have never known someone so hung up on time wasting in my life. Don't quote Oxley, why? Maybe because he got booked for it on Wednesday and does it to suit the situation like many others do and it blows your argument up! Time wasting aside,St Mirren stuck to their plan and earned an away point, we dropped two at home!

I just don't condone time wasting, or like it one little bit, and am expressing my strongly held views on the issue. If you consider that to be "hung up" that's your opinion and we will need to disagree on that I think.

My point is that goalkeepers / teams are coming to ER with instructions from their coaches (I strongly suspect) to waste time right from the beginning of the game until the end (unless of course they go a goal down and there is a very noticeable change in attitude). Do you honestly think Alan Stubbs instructs Oxley to do likewise during matches Hibs are trying to win at ER? It's the extent to which away goalkeepers and teams are being allowed to waste time that annoys me. I'm not saying Hibs have never done it.

If you are happy to watch, condone, and defend that stuff then by all means you crack on. But count me out.

PISTOL1875
27-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Yep, some on here seem to expect a struggling under-performing team to come to ER and play right into our hands by trying to play open expansive football. Nothing wrong with their approach although Thompson probably should have been sent off. They actually have a couple of very good players and will improve.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::top marks:top marks:top marks

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I just don't condone time wasting, or like it one little bit, and am expressing my strongly held views on the issue. If you consider that to be "hung up" that's your opinion and we will need to disagree on that I think.

My point is that goalkeepers / teams are coming to ER with instructions from their coaches (I strongly suspect) to waste time right from the beginning of the game until the end (unless of course they go a goal down and there is a very noticeable change in attitude). Do you honestly think Alan Stubbs instructs Oxley to do likewise during matches Hibs are trying to win at ER? It's the extent to which away goalkeepers and teams are being allowed to waste time that annoys me. I'm not saying Hibs have never done it.

If you are happy to watch, condone, and defend that stuff then by all means you crack on. But count me out.

I think you read more into than there actually is to be honest. Players know what they are up against and behave to suit the situation.I very much doubt every team that has done it against us gets specific instructions to do so from their coaches. Likewise if we do it when it suits us then I can't see a massive issue when other folk do it. I get it is a sore point which annoys you so will agree to disagree.

gjb1875
27-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I don't want to see my team play that kind of football.

Sorry Murray but you're no longer my pick for next Hibs manager.
so Ian Murray does what a manager is supposed to do sets his team up not to get beat away from home against a far superior side and they don't get Beat. Good management is it not. He done his job. If we go to ibrox and Stubbs sets up not to get beat and we don't then he has done his job. This has no reflection on Ian Murray being a bad manager actually the complete opposite.
lets be honest we weren't good enough to break them down and that's not Ian murrays fault

emerald green
27-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I think you read more into than there actually is to be honest. Players know what they are up against and behave to suit the situation.I very much doubt every team that has done it against us gets specific instructions to do so from their coaches. Likewise if we do it when it suits us then I can't see a massive issue when other folk do it. I get it is a sore point which annoys you so will agree to disagree.

OK fair enough. :aok:

lucky
27-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Surely St.Midden have ambitions to get promoted, therefore they should actually try and win the game? As for Ian Murray he burnt his bridges years ago with most Hibs fans and that was backed up the fact only a couple thousand turnout to line pockets at his testimonial game.

Evergreen86
28-09-2015, 11:25 AM
For a team thats just been relegated from the SPL and quoted amognst the favs to go back up I thought the anti-football played at times by them was shocking. If I was a St Mirren fan I wouldnt have been happy at that as I think Hibs at one point were there for the taking.

Danderhall Hibs
28-09-2015, 11:32 AM
As frustrating as it is we need to learn how to break teams down. Rangers are managing it and Hearts managed it. We've struggled.

Maybe we should look at ourselves and how we set up, what tempo we play at etc?

Smartie
28-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I didn't think they were that defensive.

I thought that when they scored they'd been on top for 10 minutes or so and that a goal for them was coming at that time. They seemed to leave a few men high up the park in the first half putting pressure on our back line.

After their goal we got on top and had our best spell of the game between their goal and half time.

They were much more defensive in the second half (they changed their approach and imo they had to) but by then they had something tangible to hang onto so they were perfectly within their rights to get men behind the ball.

Why would they come out and play football against us? They've got players like Jim Goodwin and Andy Webster, make it a scrap and they have a better chance of winning, if it's a game of football then we'd wipe the floor with them.

St Mirren won't have ambitions of winning the league and I'd be surprised if they've made any noises to their fans that they hope to. A point was an excellent result for them on Saturday.

If Ian Murray ever became Hibs manager I'd be perfectly happy if he took us to Glasgow with exactly the same game plan as he had on Saturday and I'd be ecstatic if he got the same result (particularly if he noised up the home fans a bit into the bargain). He owes us nothing, he's employed by St Mirren and he earned them an excellent point at the weekend.

patlowe
28-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I didn't think they were that defensive.

I thought that when they scored they'd been on top for 10 minutes or so and that a goal for them was coming at that time. They seemed to leave a few men high up the park in the first half putting pressure on our back line.

After their goal we got on top and had our best spell of the game between their goal and half time.

They were much more defensive in the second half (they changed their approach and imo they had to) but by then they had something tangible to hang onto so they were perfectly within their rights to get men behind the ball.

Why would they come out and play football against us? They've got players like Jim Goodwin and Andy Webster, make it a scrap and they have a better chance of winning, if it's a game of football then we'd wipe the floor with them.

St Mirren won't have ambitions of winning the league and I'd be surprised if they've made any noises to their fans that they hope to. A point was an excellent result for them on Saturday.

If Ian Murray ever became Hibs manager I'd be perfectly happy if he took us to Glasgow with exactly the same game plan as he had on Saturday and I'd be ecstatic if he got the same result (particularly if he noised up the home fans a bit into the bargain). He owes us nothing, he's employed by St Mirren and he earned them an excellent point at the weekend.

Agreed.

Murray played it well and it's up to us to break his team down. Webster looked like his legs have gone but he still strolled it against Cummings et al. People say we create and miss lots of chances but I don't see it. We create a few chances, the odd header from a corner etc, but we're not exactly cutting through teams at will. Like it or not (and I really like Henderson, McGinn and McGeoch), we do and will miss Allan's invention and incisiveness in creating clear opportunities. Hearts found a way to break defensive teams down time and time again last season; we need to do likewise. Stubbs has signed a raft of players now, on a much bigger budget than St Mirren's I'd imagine, and we are still not doing enough to consistently put away inferior teams. We should be worrying about ourselves rather than complaining about the opposition.