PDA

View Full Version : McNamara sacked

s.a.m
26-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Apparently:

Rob Flett@robflett[/U] 24m24 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/robflett/status/647820974390398978)

Breaking news from @pwmcomms (https://twitter.com/pwmcomms) on BBC #offtheball (https://twitter.com/hashtag/offtheball?src=hash) Jackie McNamara parts with #DundeeUnited (https://twitter.com/hashtag/DundeeUnited?src=hash). Sure he'll be at another club soon.

jonty
26-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Sky Sports Scotland @ScotlandSky
Sky Sources: Dundee United sack manager Jackie McNamara.
More on #SSNHQ

3pm
26-09-2015, 05:48 PM
As a Dundee United fan you must be frustrated.

Looking beyond that, we all know how difficult it is when you sell have your squad / best players.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Classless way he was sacked I'm told

s.a.m
26-09-2015, 05:54 PM
I'VE MISS-SPELLED HIS NAME IN THE THREAD TITLE!! :panic:

Could a helpful Admin please fix it for me? Ta.:aok:

MSK
26-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I'VE MISS-SPELLED HIS NAME IN THE THREAD TITLE!! :panic:

Could a helpful Admin please fix it for me? Ta.:aok:👍

s.a.m
26-09-2015, 05:57 PM
:aok:

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Mixu turned at United. An old pal of Stephen Thompson

cabbageandribs1875
26-09-2015, 05:59 PM
wonder if he will get a cut of transfer fees in his next job

Sir David Gray
26-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Hardly a surprise when they've sold Mackay-Steven, Armstrong, Ciftci, Gauld and Robertson since the beginning of last season. Any team of Dundee United's stature would struggle to lose so many talented players.

Bostonhibby
26-09-2015, 06:01 PM
wonder if he will get a cut of transfer fees in his next job

Turkey voting for Xmas?

rcarter1
26-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Hardly a surprise when they've sold Mackay-Steven, Armstrong, Ciftci, Gauld and Robertson since the beginning of last season. Any team of Dundee United's stature would struggle to lose so many talented players.

I agree, kills the momentum and belief through the whole club. I wouldn't be surprised if McNamara is relived to have a clean slate, as he could see what he was up against.

trev the hat
26-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Mixu turned at United. An old pal of Stephen Thompson

No inside info but tried for a price from bookies on Mixu nothing yet.

JimBHibees
26-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Feel sorry for the guy the sales policy of that club has been shambolic. There was always going to be a transition of getting jewels from Queens park or the like. Pretty sad given the number of excellent young players he has brought through. Will be interesting to see who his replacement is.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Is he still the Finland manager? Heard he was interested in the Motherwell job

trev the hat
26-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Is he still the Finland manager? Heard he was interested in the Motherwell job

Was sacked mid June Billy keen for a job back here tho.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Was sacked mid June Billy keen for a job back here tho.

A cheap option for United, no comp

trev the hat
26-09-2015, 06:20 PM
A cheap option for United, no comp

Bookies won't offer a price as yet, no surprise.

cabbageandribs1875
26-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Mixu said on off the ball this afternoon that he has not applied for the motherwell job...even though the bookies have him as fav i think, maybe the tannadice opening might appeal to him

Hannah_hfc
Feel sorry for McNamara, best players sold- no wonder United went downhill

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Greencore
He will be a coach at Celtc.

Question is who do Dundee hibs get now?

They better keep away from Stubbs.

JimBHibees
26-09-2015, 06:28 PM

You have to be kidding.

PeterboroHibee
26-09-2015, 06:31 PM
McNamara is an interesting one. Its not great from a managerial point of view to lose all those top players so quickly (as Hibs have shown...), but equally, hes been allowed to sign an awful lot of players, most of whom havent particularly stood out. Im still not sure I particularly rate him as a manager.

Andy74
26-09-2015, 06:40 PM
McNamara is an interesting one. Its not great from a managerial point of view to lose all those top players so quickly (as Hibs have shown...), but equally, hes been allowed to sign an awful lot of players, most of whom havent particularly stood out. Im still not sure I particularly rate him as a manager.

Yep agree and some of the managers we have seen under pressure at Hibs also lost good players who were hard to replace but increased expectations means that when you start to slide you will be out.

WoreTheGreen
26-09-2015, 07:03 PM
I think Mixu a cert for job anyone got odds?

The_Horde
26-09-2015, 07:11 PM
You have to be kidding.

I'd take Jackie in replacement. Knows what it takes to get promoted, has an eye for a player.

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I'd take Jackie in replacement. Knows what it takes to get promoted, has an eye for a player.When was he promoted as a manager?

chrisski33
26-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Ive just been told they are looking at stubbs.

overdrive
26-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Feel sorry for McNamara, best players sold- no wonder United went downhill

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I don't. He profited from all the players being sold.

3pm
26-09-2015, 07:41 PM

Bash on.

Del Boy
26-09-2015, 07:49 PM
He's spent more money than anyone outside Celtic. His run since January is shocking he can have no complaints.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Who told you?
And pay comp, can't see it myself

Diclonius
26-09-2015, 07:52 PM

I wonder when United will realise they aren't even close to being on the same planet as us financially.

DH1875
26-09-2015, 07:55 PM
He's spent more money than anyone outside Celtic. His run since January is shocking he can have no complaints.

Who did thet spend money on and how much?

jdships
26-09-2015, 07:58 PM

That was my first thought too when I read the post :confused:
More down to the number of players they have sold/moved on surely ? :rolleyes:

HoboHarry
26-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Aye and my wife told me this afternoon that I am going on a date tonight with Katherine Heigl.....

If you are going to troll at least make an effort.....:rolleyes:

Del Boy
26-09-2015, 08:13 PM

£150k on Muirhead
£50k on Szromnik
£50k on Bilate
£220k on Telfer
£50k on Murray
Plus fees for Durnan, Spittal, Connolly and Robertson (who fair enough was a great signing)

CropleyWasGod
26-09-2015, 08:18 PM
When was he promoted as a manager?
With Thistle?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Del Boy
26-09-2015, 08:20 PM
With Thistle?

He left them half way through the season they got promoted but still demanded a promotion bonus from Partick. Was settled out of court.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 08:21 PM
£150k on Muirhead
£50k on Szromnik
£50k on Bilate
£220k on Telfer
£50k on Murray
Plus fees for Durnan, Spittal, Connolly and Robertson (who fair enough was a great signing)

The telfer fee was out of his control, but it was a ridiculous value put on him. Takes quite a few years to rebuild a team, but results weren't going his way and pressure was building. Probably the best for all parties, but why do it immediately after the game? Sounds like it was all pre planned in the eventuality of them losing, which is classless

CropleyWasGod
26-09-2015, 08:22 PM
He left them half way through the season they got promoted but still demanded a promotion bonus from Partick. Was settled out of court.
So he did :)

jacomo
26-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Stubbs would be certified mental if he considered it.

cabbageandribs1875
26-09-2015, 09:04 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34371088

McNamara remains an employee of the Tannadice club but will not be in charge for next Saturday's visit to Partick Thistle

maybe just a demotion

Onion
26-09-2015, 09:13 PM

When has Hibs EVER lost a manager to another Scottish club other than the OF ? Has it ever happened ? (and Williamson doesn't count :greengrin)

CropleyWasGod
26-09-2015, 09:17 PM

McNamara remains an employee of the Tannadice club but will not be in charge for next Saturday's visit to Partick Thistle

maybe just a demotion
Like Butcher and McCoist

ekhibee
26-09-2015, 09:19 PM
according to Off The Ball he was 6/1 for the Motherwell job today.

stantonhibby
26-09-2015, 09:19 PM

maybe just a demotion

More likely employed until they agree compensation figure.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 09:34 PM
More likely employed until they agree compensation figure.

Got a year and a half left, so will be due a fair bit

stantonhibby
26-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Indeed......it's inevitable I suppose but I thought he had done a decent job and selling 2 of your best players to your upcoming opponents in a cup final didn't help. Not sure if the stories about him making money from transfer fees were correct?

mcfly
26-09-2015, 09:41 PM

I smell 💩💩

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Indeed......it's inevitable I suppose but I thought he had done a decent job and selling 2 of your best players to your upcoming opponents in a cup final didn't help. Not sure if the stories about him making money from transfer fees were correct?

He did, seemingly on a low salary as per the premiership goes, but it was topped up with his % on player sales.

chrisski33
26-09-2015, 10:18 PM
When has Hibs EVER lost a manager to another Scottish club other than the OF ? Has it ever happened ? (and Williamson doesn't count :greengrin)

We are in a lower league and they are offering at least 2x his wage and a transfer kitty in jan that hins dont have

CropleyWasGod
26-09-2015, 10:20 PM
We are in a lower league and they are offering at least 2x his wage and a transfer kitty in jan that hins dont have
Are they?

chrisski33
26-09-2015, 10:20 PM
I smell 💩💩

You smell what? Do u think stubbs is untouchable? He is highly regarded amongst clubs and know that utd are serious about getting him

Forza Fred
26-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of Pat Fenlon going close for this job.....

bigwheel
26-09-2015, 10:27 PM

2 x his wage. Dream on

HoboHarry
26-09-2015, 10:28 PM
You smell what? Do u think stubbs is untouchable? He is highly regarded amongst clubs and know that utd are serious about getting him
It's most likely that people are catching a whiff due to you stating that you know they are going to double his salary. I think you are making stuff up as well.

Kaff
26-09-2015, 10:40 PM

Interesting point would be if he remained on gardening leave would he still be due % of transfer fees? I imagine he would and could sit there with more incentive than most to see it out to the bitter end

mcfly
26-09-2015, 11:35 PM

How do u know what Dundee Utd think???

Alan Stubbs is under contract with hibs and hibs will not let him leave

So stop mischief making and get behind hibs

mcfly
26-09-2015, 11:36 PM
2 x his wage. Dream on

Exactly what planet is this chap on

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-09-2015, 11:41 PM
I smell 💩💩

Do you support Celtic? :-)

DH1875
27-09-2015, 12:02 AM

Away at and don't talk fish.

DH1875
27-09-2015, 12:09 AM
£150k on Muirhead
£50k on Szromnik
£50k on Bilate
£220k on Telfer
£50k on Murray

Does our fees for Dylan & McGinn not blow all that out the water AND that's without adding on other fee's and wages for all the other players we've signed during McNamara's time as their manager :confused:.

Centre Hawf
27-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Been told from a number of people that McNamara made 25 percent off all transfers, it was why he took the job despite his weekly wage going down. I do not for one second feel the slightest bit sorry for him as he may or may not have been happy to see the back end of his best players when checking his bank statements in the morning. I've also heard that one of the clauses in Ciftci's contract was that he was due 25 percent, meaning before any money reached United £750k from the £1.5m was wiped out of the Ciftci deal overall. That's before agent's etc come into play.

PeterboroHibee
27-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Does our fees for Dylan & McGinn not blow all that out the water AND that's without adding on other fee's and wages for all the other players we've signed during McNamara's time as their manager :confused:.

Weve wasted a lot on players in the past, but I dont think that can be levelled at the club since Stubbs came in. I also dont think comparing McGeouch and McGinn is fair as they both look like excellent value for money.

If you consider the United players from that list, Sromnik, Telfer, Murray and Connolly are usually on the bench (if that), Bilate is always injured, and Muirhead (and Anier who I imagine is on decent wages) are out on loan. Robertson and Ciftci aside, I dont see much of a return on any of the players United signed recently.

Thecat23
27-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Stubbs and his coaching team are very well respected up here. Although we maybe aren't sitting top of the league many teams admire Stubbs.

I've no info at all, but I'd be surprised if his name isn't someone they would like to speak with. I think Hibs would tell them to beat it unless Stubbs has a clause in his contract that if a top tier side came in he can speak to them.

coldingham hibs
27-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Whilst I consider the suggestion of Stubbs going to Utd as total bull, if it were to be the case I would reckon Stubbs would probably go.
Currently we have next to no chance of winning the league and should we reach a play off position then what are the chances of actually getting through it?. If we don't that would essentially make Stubbs a failure in my eyes and a lot of other supporters would feel the same, would we risk another season with Stubbs at the helm?.
If Utd want Stubbs then I'm sure he will have the same thoughts.

PeterboroHibee
27-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Whilst I consider the suggestion of Stubbs going to Utd as total bull, if it were to be the case I would reckon Stubbs would probably go.
Currently we have next to no chance of winning the league and should we reach a play off position then what are the chances of actually getting through it?. If we don't that would essentially make Stubbs a failure in my eyes and a lot of other supporters would feel the same, would we risk another season with Stubbs at the helm?.
If Utd want Stubbs then I'm sure he will have the same thoughts.

Im not so sure he would leave. Hes just over a year into his managerial career, and things are more or less going quite well. The morale in the squad seems good, hes been allowed to assemble a talented squad (some of whom we spent fees on), and I get the impression he wants to be the one to get us promoted. Hes recently signed a contract so he must see himself staying here, and unless he has a clause in his contract, I imagine he wouldnt be cheap. A lot of the reports last night were that United would be looking for someone who they wouldnt have to pay much/if any compensation.

Eyrie
27-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Offering Stubbs double his wage doesn't fit in with the reports that McNamara was on a low wage at Tannadice.

Stubbs and his coaching team are very well respected up here. Although we maybe aren't sitting top of the league many teams admire Stubbs.

I've no info at all, but I'd be surprised if his name isn't someone they would like to speak with. I think Hibs would tell them to beat it unless Stubbs has a clause in his contract that if a top tier side came in he can speak to them.
I'd be very surprised if there would be such a clause for a Scottish club as opposed to an English one. The only team in Scotland that would be a step up rather than sideways would be Celtc and if they wanted Stubbs then they'd make sure they got him by fair means or more likely foul. He needs to do better with us before they'd consider him though.

Stranraer
27-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I agree he should have been sacked but Dundee United always seem to have excellent young players who go off to a bigger club - they can't seem to hang on to much talent. If they get a decent manager they might escape the relegation play off but I don't see them in the top 6.

Nutmegged
27-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't think Stubbs would be of interest to them at the moment to be honest plus he'll likely be earning more basic at Easter Road than he will get at Utd, Jackie is on a pittance, hence why Thompson did a deal that would see him get a small percentage of transfer fees.

I can't see past Stuart McCall for that gig although I think it would be a wrong move.

erin go bragh
27-09-2015, 08:47 PM
I can see Mothewell trying to get McNamara .

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
27-09-2015, 08:49 PM
I can see Mothewell trying to get McNamara .

GGTTH

Can they wait long, it may take a bit of time to agree his settlement

PatHead
27-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Does Steven Pressley have a job?

Greentinted
27-09-2015, 09:53 PM

I think I read something about him scouting for Southampton - may be on a better wage than Dundee U could offer for the gaffer's gig.

PatHead
27-09-2015, 09:58 PM
I think I read something about him scouting for Southampton - may be on a better wage than Dundee U could offer for the gaffer's gig.

That is where my money would go,

.Sean.
27-09-2015, 10:05 PM
McCall certainly didn't dismiss the job on Sportscene

jacomo
28-09-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't think Stubbs would be of interest to them at the moment to be honest plus he'll likely be earning more basic at Easter Road than he will get at Utd, Jackie is on a pittance, hence why Thompson did a deal that would see him get a small percentage of transfer fees.

I can't see past Stuart McCall for that gig although I think it would be a wrong move.

Why do you think it would be a wrong move? McCall can do a decent job in Scottish fitba, if he's out of work he might fancy it.

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:08 AM

Jobbies

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Do you support Celtic? :-)

tee hee

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Been told from a number of people that McNamara made 25 percent off all transfers, it was why he took the job despite his weekly wage going down. I do not for one second feel the slightest bit sorry for him as he may or may not have been happy to see the back end of his best players when checking his bank statements in the morning. I've also heard that one of the clauses in Ciftci's contract was that he was due 25 percent, meaning before any money reached United £750k from the £1.5m was wiped out of the Ciftci deal overall. That's before agent's etc come into play.

Sorry, but don't believe that. 25%, no ing chance.

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Funny you mention his name, he came through Edinburgh Airport on Friday, don't no if he is back staying in Edinburgh after losing his job at Coventry.

PatHead
28-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Funny you mention his name, he came through Edinburgh Airport on Friday, don't no if he is back staying in Edinburgh after losing his job at Coventry.

Just remember he missed out last time and thought ex player, out of work, set up the young players system at Falkirk, reasonably well respected and all that...........Seems a good fit.

J-C
28-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Still has a house up here and family too ( I think ), I saw him a few weeks back with his wife and kids.

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Just remember he missed out last time and thought ex player, out of work, set up the young players system at Falkirk, reasonably well respected and all that...........Seems a good fit.

Yeah good shout and good club to get his managerial career back on track.

silverhibee
28-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Who is in the running for the Motherwell job.

Danderhall Hibs
28-09-2015, 11:39 AM

How did they do it?

JJP
28-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Seen Mixu linked today in the press. Could be a good appointment for them. Did a good job at Killie when he was last in Scotland.

matty_f
28-09-2015, 12:16 PM
How did they do it?

Left a postcard on his desk that said :

'Welcome to Sacksville. Population :You'

KeithTheHibby
28-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Bizarre contract whereby he got a cut of transfer fees. You can't imagine him going into the boardroom and fighting his cause for keeping players especially when he will benefit financially from any sale.

Anyways no sympathy from me for the position they find themselves in.

southsider
28-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Seen Mixu linked today in the press. Could be a good appointment for them. Did a good job at Killie when he was last in Scotland.

Best priced 7/4

Wilson
28-09-2015, 02:13 PM

He took 25% of the contents of his desk and one sleeve from his club blazer.

Green forever
28-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Steve Evans has just left Rotherham .... :-)

.Sean.
28-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Have to laugh at the hypocrisy of Keith Jackson, basically slating Thomson for having no ambition in selling to Celtic and that any manager with ambition shouldn't go near Dundee United as the club have no aspirations.

This is the same Keith Jackson who actively tried to engineer moves to Rangers for Brown and Thomson when Hibs had tried to show a bit of ambition and keep the pair.

Keith Jackson yer a fanny :giruy2:

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Steve Evans has just left Rotherham .... :-)

Now there's a man that's not dealing with a full pack of cards. :crazy:

Del Boy
28-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Paul Lambert 6/5 favourite with Ladbrokes. That would be a good appointment IMO

Smartie
28-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Now that we've drawn them in the cup is there any way that we can help Terry Butcher get the job?

We can pick up our usual weekly winnings betting against United before scooping the jackpot betting on Brought Ferry winning the "Beautiful Scotland in Bloom" competition next year.

DH1875
28-09-2015, 04:14 PM

Would he take it? 6/5 fav seems odd to me because I dont think he would.

Golden Bear
28-09-2015, 04:27 PM
The St Johnstone Manager, Tommy Wright, is now being linked with the United job. Can't say I'm surprised.

Jim44
28-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Dave Bowman takes over as caretaker manager. I used to hate him with a passion. I hope he makes a pig's ear of it.

s.a.m
28-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Has he been coaching there?
Haven't seen him since the days when he looked like a crazed and malevolent My Little Pony.

E10 Rifle
28-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Suspect McNamara was on a fee for players he brought in and were then sold at a profit for the club later on. Not so unusual in many jobs dealing with commodities.

Michael
28-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Surely he can get a much better job than dundee united? That could be a real coup for them.

Jim44
28-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Has he been coaching there?
Haven't seen him since the days when he looked like a crazed and malevolent My Little Pony.

No idea what he's been up to. He was a nasty bit of stuff.

eastmainsmsh
28-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Ray McKinnon must be in with a shout

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Do folk honestly think Stubbs would leave us for DUFC?! Naaah

McD
28-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Genuinely laughed out loud at this, then got a disapproving look from the missus when she asked why and got an explanation....oh well, amused me :greengrin

AndyM_1875
29-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Now that we've drawn them in the cup is there any way that we can help Terry Butcher get the job?

We can pick up our usual weekly winnings betting against United before scooping the jackpot betting on Brought Ferry winning the "Beautiful Scotland in Bloom" competition next year.

A United fan on Sportsound last night actually said "Get big Terry Butcher and Malpas in. They'd sort them out..."

After being pretty much the reason Hibernian now play second tier football thanks to his idiotic bungling, can someone please explain to me how that joker still gets mentioned in connection with jobs in Scotland?

Nutmegged
29-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Any team in Scotland outwith Celtic would struggle within Scotland after losing Gauld, Robertson, Fojut, GMS, Amrstrong and Çiftçi all in the space of a year, its all well and good saying they've reinvested in the squad but that level of player they sold isn't available to Utd in the market they shop in, they need like the rest of us to buy a player hope they can improve them to the level of the players they lost, that takes time, losing two is just about doable, they could perhaps hace got by losing a 3rd but 6 players is just too much.

I still think there is a lot of talent in Utds squad but they need some genuine experience to go with it, McNamara showed what a good manager he was in his first two years in the job when he had the tools to do it, I do believe he could and should have been doing better than he has in the last 7 months but sometimes when you're on that downward spiral its just too difficult to turn it around sometimes

Carheenlea
29-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Caught a bit of Sportsound last night and it was said that Jackie McNamara was handed a pre - prepared letter informing him of decision. Classless indeed. To prepare a letter suggests Thompson was sacking McNamara regardless and was just waiting for the opportune moment or result. Could surely have waited till they were back at Tannadice.

Billy Whizz
29-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Caught a bit of Sportsound last night and it was said that Jackie McNamara was handed a pre - prepared letter informing him of decision. Classless indeed. To prepare a letter suggests Thompson was sacking McNamara regardless and was just waiting for the opportune moment or result. Could surely have waited till they were back at Tannadice.

That's what I heard as well, and stacks up as a pre planned sacking, if they lost the game. Wonder why they did after the match though, rather than do it in private on Sunday

stubru59
29-09-2015, 06:26 PM
That's what I heard as well, and stacks up as a pre planned sacking, if they lost the game. Wonder why they did after the match though, rather than do it in private on Sunday

Because that's the sort of thing football chairmen do when the arrows start pointing at them. It makes them look tough and decsisive. And all the talk is on who the replacement will be, rather than the reasons why they need a replacement in the first place.

Danderhall Hibs
29-09-2015, 07:34 PM

Heard them talk about it in the radio as well.

Maybe saved fuel money by sacking him in Perth rather than Dundee?! No other logical reason for it is there?

Billy Whizz
29-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Heard them talk about it in the radio as well.

Maybe saved fuel money by sacking him in Perth rather than Dundee?! No other logical reason for it is there?

Wonder if McNamara travelled back on the team bus to Dundee with the chairman, or he got a cab home and sent united the bill

Danderhall Hibs
29-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Wonder if McNamara travelled back on the team bus to Dundee with the chairman, or he got a cab home and sent united the bill

BBC were reporting that he was still on the staff just not manager. Must be on garden leave.

heretoday
29-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I bet McNamara becomes our manager one day. The merry-go-round goes round.

bigwheel
29-09-2015, 08:05 PM
I bet McNamara becomes our manager one day. The merry-go-round goes round.

He will have to reinvent himself to do so ...not got a track record at the moment that would justify that

And if it does happen i hope he upgrades his assistants ...Donnelly and jackson don't excite me at all.

J-C
29-09-2015, 08:23 PM
He will have to reinvent himself to do so ...not got a track record at the moment that would justify that

And if it does happen i hope he upgrades his assistants ...Donnelly and jackson don't excite me at all.

I think he has a decent track record TBH

TeamNatFromToRecordGWDLWin %
Partick Thistle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_Thistle_F.C.)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)15 April 201130 January 2013 75 34 17 24 45.33[23] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_McNamara#cite_note-23)Dundee United (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_United_F.C.)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)30 January 201326 September 2015 119 51 23 45 42.86 Total194 85 40 69 43.81

So a win prcentage of 45.33% at Partick, 42.86% at Dundee U and 43.81% overall

bigwheel
29-09-2015, 08:45 PM
I think he has a decent track record TBH

TeamNatFromToRecordGWDLWin %
Partick Thistle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_Thistle_F.C.)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)15 April 201130 January 2013 75 34 17 24 45.33[23] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_McNamara#cite_note-23)Dundee United (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_United_F.C.)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)30 January 201326 September 2015 119 51 23 45 42.86 Total194 85 40 69 43.81

So a win prcentage of 45.33% at Partick, 42.86% at Dundee U and 43.81% overall

Not bad overall win ratio. True enough.

Think he won something like 4 games out of last 27 ...might not be precise. But it's of that order. That is not a record to get him a big job next. He will have to go down a level of job and start over

Jim44
30-09-2015, 09:16 AM
McCall, Presley and O'Neill have declared themselves not interested in the DUtd. job.

J-C
30-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Not bad overall win ratio. True enough.

Think he won something like 4 games out of last 27 ...might not be precise. But it's of that order. That is not a record to get him a big job next. He will have to go down a level of job and start over

Doesn't help when 4-5 of your best players are sold and you have to work with peanuts after that, look what happened to us after we sold the golden generation, we bought crap and played like crap.

Smartie
30-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Doesn't help when 4-5 of your best players are sold and you have to work with peanuts after that, look what happened to us after we sold the golden generation, we bought crap and played like crap.

And all the while we continued to blame whichever manager we had at the time.

I have a good mate who is a United fan and he's been asking me what I think of various candidates (Mixu and Yogi) who have been linked with the United job.

My opinion is that they are good managers and probably better now than they were at Hibs (they were young and a bit raw at Hibs but still pretty good managers for us). But if they have a chairman selling off their best players and not giving the manager decent resources to replace those good players then they will ultimately fail -not that it would be the managers fault (I don't think their current problems are anything like McNamara's fault).

AndyM_1875
30-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Thompson always has struck me as a thoroughly dislikeable character. He's been good at shooting his mouth off and picking fights with Rangers so this latest classless stunt should not surprise.
If he intended replacing the manager there is a way to do it. That wasn't it.

All he had to do was call McNamara in on Sunday morning say it wasn't working and that the club want to go in a new direction. It could have been handled in a gentlemanly manner. But dragging the manager into a room he begged St Johnstone for and whipping out a pre prepared letter of severance straight after a match simply stinks.
The man is an utter bell end.

J-C
30-09-2015, 12:32 PM
And all the while we continued to blame whichever manager we had at the time.

I have a good mate who is a United fan and he's been asking me what I think of various candidates (Mixu and Yogi) who have been linked with the United job.

My opinion is that they are good managers and probably better now than they were at Hibs (they were young and a bit raw at Hibs but still pretty good managers for us). But if they have a chairman selling off their best players and not giving the manager decent resources to replace those good players then they will ultimately fail -not that it would be the managers fault (I don't think their current problems are anything like McNamara's fault).

There was a case to blame Calderwood and Fenlon as their playing style was rank rotten, Butcher was just Butcher a **** manager.

Smartie
30-09-2015, 12:40 PM
There was a case to blame Calderwood and Fenlon as their playing style was rank rotten, Butcher was just Butcher a **** manager.

We wouldn't have ended up raking in the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher bin if we'd backed our previous managers a bit better though.

(I was as guilty as anyone for blaming the managers when things were going wrong through that time).

I think there are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between United's current situation and the one we found ourselves in about 6 years ago.

J-C
30-09-2015, 01:02 PM
We wouldn't have ended up raking in the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher bin if we'd backed our previous managers a bit better though.

(I was as guilty as anyone for blaming the managers when things were going wrong through that time).

I think there are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between United's current situation and the one we found ourselves in about 6 years ago.

I agree but how much money did these imposters cost us in pay offs?

Andy74
30-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I agree but how much money did these imposters cost us in pay offs?

Fenlon nothing I presume. Probably made us some cash from two cup finals. He improved the position from coming in to leaving so a bit unfair to be in there with the other two.

J-C
30-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Fenlon nothing I presume. Probably made us some cash from two cup finals. He improved the position from coming in to leaving so a bit unfair to be in there with the other two.

I still can't believe after all this time you still defend Fenlon, 2 cup finals 1 which will go down in our history as one of the most embarrassing defeats of our time and the worst European defeat in our proud history. He took us to mid table boredom, yes he may not have cost us money as he walked instead of being pushed but the loss of so many fans during his tenure is still a main problem at the club, fans who walked away and have yet to return happened during his time here.

CallumLaidlaw
30-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I still can't believe after all this time you still defend Fenlon, 2 cup finals 1 which will go down in our history as one of the most embarrassing defeats of our time and the worst European defeat in our proud history. He took us to mid table boredom, yes he may not have cost us money as he walked instead of being pushed but the loss of so many fans during his tenure is still a main problem at the club, fans who walked away and have yet to return happened during his time here.

Oh what I'd give for Premiership mid table boredom now :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
30-09-2015, 02:16 PM
BBC were reporting that he was still on the staff just not manager. Must be on garden leave.
They've apparently worked out the compensation now, so he's no longer employed.

Source....some online version of some newspaper. :)

Smartie
30-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Oh what I'd give for Premiership mid table boredom now :rolleyes:

I've heard this a few times but it is a viewpoint I don't really understand.

The decline of the past 8 years or so has been awful. Every year it got gradually worse and it was miserable culminating in our relegation.

We've bottomed out and whilst we're a million miles from the finished article at least we're playing better stuff and are (I believe) going in the right direction.

It is horrifically unlucky for Stubbs (and Hibs) that we were relegated when we were, meaning that we had 2 very formidable sides to play in our first 2 seasons in this division.

You won't EVER catch me pining for the days of Calderwood, Fenlon or Butcher, irrespective of the level we drop to.

CallumLaidlaw
30-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I've heard this a few times but it is a viewpoint I don't really understand.

The decline of the past 8 years or so has been awful. Every year it got gradually worse and it was miserable culminating in our relegation.

We've bottomed out and whilst we're a million miles from the finished article at least we're playing better stuff and are (I believe) going in the right direction.

It is horrifically unlucky for Stubbs (and Hibs) that we were relegated when we were, meaning that we had 2 very formidable sides to play in our first 2 seasons in this division.

You won't EVER catch me pining for the days of Calderwood, Fenlon or Butcher, irrespective of the level we drop to.

I don't necessarily mean under a particular manager, but a 2nd season of the defensive Alloa's, Dumbarton's, etc is tough going. I like you am 100% behind AS and believe we're going in the right direction. I argued a year ago that maybe we had to go down to build ourselves back up but the argument was, LD was already on her way in, and she may well have sacked Butcher even if we'd not conceded that 91st minute goal against Accies. We may well have still ended up with Stubbs, and been able to avoid this dire, dire league. I was simply pining for games against Motherwell, Killie and Partick :wink::greengrin

That said, I wouldnt say we got worse every season. The Fenlon era was better (if marginally) than the Calderwood era, if if a couple of results in particular, stick in the throat.

Smartie
30-09-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't necessarily mean under a particular manager, but a 2nd season of the defensive Alloa's, Dumbarton's, etc is tough going. I like you am 100% behind AS and believe we're going in the right direction. I argued a year ago that maybe we had to go down to build ourselves back up but the argument was, LD was already on her way in, and she may well have sacked Butcher even if we'd not conceded that 91st minute goal against Accies. We may well have still ended up with Stubbs, and been able to avoid this dire, dire league. I was simply pining for games against Motherwell, Killie and Partick :wink::greengrin

That said, I wouldnt say we got worse every season. The Fenlon era was better (if marginally) than the Calderwood era, if if a couple of results in particular, stick in the throat.

I agree with all of this.

Fenlon's most important victories were in many ways his own undoing. If we'd been edged out in the semi vs Aberdeen and not come back against Falkirk to reach the cup final against Celtic (this qualifying for Europe) then we'd have avoided a certain cup final and the Malmo doing without anyone really batting an eyelid.

Whilst he did have a few "peaks" along the way, ultimately Fenlon inherited a diabolical situation from Calderwood and passed a diabolical situation on to Butcher.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that whilst we were busy blaming the ikea of Mixu and Yogi, the real villain of the piece was working his magic behind the scenes. When you sack a manager every year, go back to the drawing board and pay the associated compensation to the sacked managers you end up in a downward spiral that is difficult to stop. Sometimes the manager IS to blame and should go, more often than not I disagree that this is the case.

Something that United should think about, as should those who are starting to get a bit twitchy about Stubbs.

CallumLaidlaw
30-09-2015, 03:33 PM

Fenlon's most important victories were in many ways his own undoing. If we'd been edged out in the semi vs Aberdeen and not come back against Falkirk to reach the cup final against Celtic (this qualifying for Europe) then we'd have avoided a certain cup final and the Malmo doing without anyone really batting an eyelid.

Whilst he did have a few "peaks" along the way, ultimately Fenlon inherited a diabolical situation from Calderwood and passed a diabolical situation on to Butcher.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that whilst we were busy blaming the ikea of Mixu and Yogi, the real villain of the piece was working his magic behind the scenes. When you sack a manager every year, go back to the drawing board and pay the associated compensation to the sacked managers you end up in a downward spiral that is difficult to stop. Sometimes the manager IS to blame and should go, more often than not I disagree that this is the case.

Something that United should think about, as should those who are starting to get a bit twitchy about Stubbs.

Agree with that. And the one time Petrie didn't panic and sack the manager was flippin' Calderwood!!!

GreenOnions
30-09-2015, 11:09 PM

I remember vividly that the majority on here wanted Yogi and Mixu sacked well before Petrie got round to it. I'm not saying that you were one of those Smartie but it's got to be said that there's a lot of re-writing of history goes on here. I was pilloried by many here for posting that Mixu should be kept on just before he was sacked. I think if it was left up to fans then the average manager's tenure at a club would be even shorter than it is. Clubs need to hold their nerve more IMO and trust their original instincts about a manager. How many of us have taken a year or two to get things going in a manager's position?

bigwheel
01-10-2015, 05:42 AM
I remember vividly that the majority on here wanted Yogi and Mixu sacked well before Petrie got round to it. I'm not saying that you were one of those Smartie but it's got to be said that there's a lot of re-writing of history goes on here. I was pilloried by many here for posting that Mixu should be kept on just before he was sacked. I think if it was left up to fans then the average manager's tenure at a club would be even shorter than it is. Clubs need to hold their nerve more IMO and trust their original instincts about a manager. How many of us have taken a year or two to get things going in a manager's position?

It's true that sometimes things seems better in hindsight - that said , Mixu's football at Hibs was so so negative . It was definitely a case of let's try not to lose mostly, than try to win . It made it all the more strange seeing the approach he took at Killie - I can only assume his tenure at Hibs was a big learning period for him. Perhaps in hindsight he got the Hibs job too early in his managerial career .

Peevemor
01-10-2015, 06:49 AM
I think Mixu's "mutual consenting" was initiated by the man himself. IMO the abuse he was getting from the fans was too much for him given the affection he had (has?) for the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/5408828/Mixu-Paatelainen-resigns-as-Hibs-manager.html

Paatelainen announced his decision to step down in a statement on the club website, saying: "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as manager of Hibernian Football Club.

"We have travelled a journey together and the club will always hold a special place in my heart.

"However, there comes a time when a change of direction is best for both parties.

"I thank the club and the players and coaching staff for their commitment and talent and I wish the supporters everything that they would wish themselves."

Chairman Rod Petrie added: "Mixu has been a wholehearted and committed manager and we are all sorry to see him go.

"However, we respect his decision. Mixu is held in the highest regard by everyone connected with the club and we wish him well for the future."
Paatelainen took over at Easter Road in January 2008 after management spells at Cowdenbeath and TPS Turku in his native Finland.
As a former Hibs player, his appointment was warmly welcomed but he was disappointed with their sixth-placed finish in the Scottish Premier League.
They finished the 2008/09 season with a win at city rivals Hearts and draws against both Rangers and Celtic.
However, the Edinburgh side finished in sixth which meant they missed out on a Europa League spot.

Greencore
01-10-2015, 07:04 AM
You have to be kidding.

Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs is under consideration for the vacancy at Dundee United along with Steve Evans, who left Rotherham United this week. (Daily Mail)

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34409720

Obviously not.

Jim44
01-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs is under consideration for the vacancy at Dundee United along with Steve Evans, who left Rotherham United this week. (Daily Mail)

Obviously not.

The media write what suits them at the time. I posted yesterday about a news report where McColl, Presley and O'Neill all distanced themselves from the United job but this article says that McColl is interested.

J-C
01-10-2015, 07:50 AM
I think Mixu's "mutual consenting" was initiated by the man himself. IMO the abuse he was getting from the fans was too much for him given the affection he had (has?) for the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/5408828/Mixu-Paatelainen-resigns-as-Hibs-manager.html

Funny how both Mixu and Yogi have became better managers since leaving Hibs, I seem to remember Mixu saying he just went travelling watching other managers around Europe to gain knowledge and Yogi stating he went south and did the same before coming back with Livingston.

chrisski33
01-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Bash on.
think i will bash on....
."Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs is under consideration for the vacancy at Dundee United along with Steve Evans, who left Rotherham United this week. (Daily Mail)

He wont go but knew he was being considered but oh no folk think they know better ☺

JimBHibees
01-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Obviously not.

Just to be clear the 'you have to be kidding' was in regard to my opinion he wouldnt leave Hibs to go to United rather than they would be interested which IMO they should be.

silverhibee
01-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Golly gosh, me agreeing with you, but i think you are right, it was the game up at Inverness that i think Mixu decided his time was up with the fans and Hibs, the abuse he received from the fans that day was disgusting to a man who had gave so much to Hibs as a player, and i think he may have considered parting ways with the club straight after that game.
But he stayed on until the end of the season and got us in to the top 6 and there was some good results from the team in the last five games, but yeah, i think he decided then that it was time to leave the club.

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2015, 11:22 AM
think i will bash on....
."Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs is under consideration for the vacancy at Dundee United along with Steve Evans, who left Rotherham United this week. (Daily Mail)

He wont go but knew he was being considered but oh no folk think they know better ☺

Think it was this bit that people were taking issue with you on:-

chrisski33
01-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Think it was this bit that people were taking issue with you on:-

Thats fair enough but folk jumped on me before that post. ☺ alls well anyway

JJP
01-10-2015, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't be putting Fenlon in the same bracket as Calderwood and Butcher. He may have had awful results in Scottish Cup finals and in Europe but he actually got us there which is better than most. Our league position looked to be improving year on year also but all of this is overlooked. We were in the top 6 when the support really turned on him. I told friends it seemed he had the backing of the players and I expected us to plummet for the rest of the season and sadly I was right (I'll admit to changing that stance when we appointed Butcher and I, like many, got taken in by all of his hyperbole)

givescotlandfreedom
01-10-2015, 02:54 PM
That the Dundee United we outnumbered in their own ground a few years ago? Pishy wee nothing club that seems to be finding its way back to where it normally is.

givescotlandfreedom
01-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Golly gosh, me agreeing with you, but i think you are right, it was the game up at Inverness that i think Mixu decided his time was up with the fans and Hibs, the abuse he received from the fans that day was disgusting to a man who had gave so much to Hibs as a player, and i think he may have considered parting ways with the club straight after that game.
But he stayed on until the end of the season and got us in to the top 6 and there was some good results from the team in the last five games, but yeah, i think he decided then that it was time to leave the club.

I was at that game and the abuse was embarrassing. I recall chants of 'We want Mixu out' with Mixu turning to the fans looking a bit betrayed. I don't think he was the man for us but all the stupid names like 'Mixup' and 'Dixu' was unbefitting of a man who loved the club and did his best as a player and manager. Sometimes as a support we are real fuds.

Peevemor
01-10-2015, 03:07 PM
I was at that game and the abuse was embarrassing. I recall chants of 'We want Mixu out' with Mixu turning to the fans looking a bit betrayed. I don't think he was the man for us but all the stupid names like 'Mixup' and 'Dixu' was unbefitting of a man who loved the club and did his best as a player and manager. Sometimes as a support we are real fuds.

Probably the same supporters that now moan about the board sacking (even though they didn't) Mixu too early.

Del Boy
01-10-2015, 03:23 PM
That the Dundee United we outnumbered in their own ground a few years ago? Pishy wee nothing club that seems to be finding its way back to where it normally is.

To be fair, for any hibs fan aged under 40 Dundee United have been a more successful club than hibs in their lifetime.

FromTheCapital
01-10-2015, 03:27 PM
As it says on the tin.

Rumours circulating on Twitter that United want to speak to Stubbs.

Personally, can't see it happening. Alan and his team are just beginning to build a good team at Easter road and I don't think they'll abandon it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
01-10-2015, 03:33 PM
BBC gossip had it he was under consideration. Basically someone speaking out loud. Whether he wants to go or not they've got to get through Leeann. How did that go for The Rangers again?

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Lago
01-10-2015, 03:36 PM
BBC gossip had it he was under consideration. Basically someone speaking out loud. Whether he wants to go or not they've got to get through Leeann. How did that go for The Rangers again?

Sent via the bushes @ EM
mmmmm could be interesting few days:confused:

O'Rourke3
01-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Cant see it. They've just ponied 180K in payoffs. Compo for Hibs plus wages? They will be looking for someone presently unemployed

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Matty_Jack04
01-10-2015, 03:42 PM
As it says on the tin.

Personally, can't see it happening. Alan and his team are just beginning to build a good team at Easter road and I don't think they'll abandon it.

Signed a new contract and been backed to the hilt at hibs can't see him wanting to leave, can't see hibs letting them talk and can't see Utd paying compo....nothing to see here IMO

GlasgowHibee
01-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Don't think he'd leave us.

iwasthere1972
01-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Cant see it. They've just ponied 180K in payoffs. Compo for Hibs plus wages? They will be looking for someone presently unemployed

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Butcher and Malpas could do a job.

resident_Arab
01-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Was a decade ago and we weren't outnumbered, and you've won just 3 of the last 23 meetings with that so called pishy wee nothing club

To be fair, for any hibs fan aged under 60 Dundee United have been a more successful club than hibs in their lifetime.

Sorted

Bostonhibby
01-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Good wee tactic to try and cause a bit of unrest before a cup tie the arabs could well lose?

I like Dundee Hibernian but not sure this would be a particularly good feather in Stubbs cap - stay and see the Hibs job through and better gigs will come along.

JJP
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Was a decade ago and we weren't outnumbered, and you've won just 3 of the last 23 meetings with that so called pishy wee nothing club

Sorted

And a Hibs manager would still never leave this club to join yours. :aok:

Wellbankhibby
01-10-2015, 05:01 PM
I'd take Jackie in replacement. Knows what it takes to get promoted, has an eye for a player.
You must be on the drink. He has done very little at Utd. Better with Jackie Senior he is a good Hibee or better still If Stubbs goes to anyone get McLeish back unless wee strachan leaves scotland.

Baldy Foghorn
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
You must be on the drink. He has done very little at Utd. Better with Jackie Senior he is a good Hibee or better still If Stubbs goes to anyone get McLeish back unless wee strachan leaves scotland.

Stubbs is going nowhere. Jackie Jnr/Snr, McLeish/Strachan all a negative from me, thankfully we have a good manager in situ:gwa:

3pm
01-10-2015, 05:25 PM

More our doing than yours.

chrisski33
02-10-2015, 09:02 AM
As it says on the tin.

Watch what u say as youll get jumped on for being a troll and all that lol
I said on sat nite that stubbs would be considered and i got jumped on for saying it. If the cat says its nonsense eh! Clearly isnt in the know as muxh as he thinks ☺

Steve20
02-10-2015, 09:24 AM
As much as it wouldn't bother me losing Stubbs to Utd considering I think our results in this league under him have been below what it should be, losing a manager during the season can't help.

Smartie
02-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Personally I'd be gutted if we lost Stubbs.

I don't think it will happen soon and certainly not to United. He's well-backed by the club at Hibs, has a great working relationship with Leanne and that counts for an awful lot. The fans are as behind him as we've ever been behind a manager and I think he is quite relishing the challenge of taking us up. I also think there's a personal thing in him that likes going toe to toe with The Rangers.

He's got a lot going for him here that he wouldn't necessarily have at United. They have some decent young players and are in a higher league but that's it. Their last manager was sacked in a really dubious manner, their chairman seems like a bit of a tit, they are skint and the fans on on the club's back at the moment. Personally I think it's a bit of a poisoned chalice and it will only appeal to managers who aren't currently in the game. There are some decent managers out there though who will be looking to rebuild their reputations (the likes of Mixu and McCall) who could go there and do well. I just don't see it appealing to Stubbs.

Stubbs might be tempted by a job down South that would see him working closer to his family but I don't think that (on paper) he's achieved enough with us yet for there to be big English clubs knocking each other out the way to make him an offer. Give it a year or two though……

As a manager I like him. He's honest and upfront and the players seem to like him. The football can sometimes be a bit too patient given where we are but we howled for years about wanting Hibs to pass the ball - now we do that and then some. Yes, I think we should have found out how to break down defensive-minded teams by now but that's the only real black mark against his name. Farid, Feruz, Keatings, Anier - any of these may hold the key there.

I certainly have no desire to go back to the drawing board and getting the likes of Calderwood or Butcher in again. Because when you're the type of club who gets through a manager a year (or less) then those are the only managers that end up going near you.

And it doesn't mean that I can't criticise him when he gets it wrong. There is a difference between criticising a manager and howling for him to be sacked.

Lago
02-10-2015, 11:55 AM
As much as it wouldn't bother me losing Stubbs to Utd considering I think our results in this league under him have been below what it should be, losing a manager during the season can't help.
No promotion this season and Stubbs is toast.

eastmainsmsh
02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Lago;4476029]No promotion this season and Stubbs is toast.[/QUOT

If that did happen we would be down for a few more years imo

CallumLaidlaw
02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
No promotion this season and Stubbs is toast.

Only if the fans hound him out. I certainly wouldn't be one of those fans

Smartie
02-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Me neither.

No promotion this season then questions need to be asked but if those questions are answered adequately then he continues.

Stubbs is unlucky in that he has come up against Hearts and The Rangers sides that have got their acts together in successive years.

If he finishes clear in 2nd and there are mitigating circumstances as to why we failed in the playoffs then he should be allowed to continue, with the condition that anything other than 1st place the following season is unacceptable.

We are in the situation we are in because of what happened prior to Stubbs' arrival.

CallumLaidlaw
02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
If he finishes clear in 2nd and there are mitigating circumstances as to why we failed in the playoffs then he should be allowed to continue, with the condition that anything other than 1st place the following season is unacceptable.

Agree with this 100%
IF we fail to finish 2nd, or are simply outplayed in the play off semi then I could see why his position would be looked at. But in your scenario, then he definitely should get next season. The alternative is bring in another manager, who can then cite a "transition season" and the whole thing starts all over again

Zazu62
02-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Dundee United 😂😂

They get about 4k a week at there home games

J-C
02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Me neither.

No promotion this season then questions need to be asked but if those questions are answered adequately then he continues.

Stubbs is unlucky in that he has come up against Hearts and The Rangers sides that have got their acts together in successive years.

We are in the situation we are in because of what happened prior to Stubbs' arrival.

If we finish clear second it will only be because Rangers have strolled the league, we have given them a start which in all honesty is unacceptable given he had a full summer to organise his squad, we should be neck and neck with Rangers but we have already dropped the silly points we did last season.

A lot will depend on how far back we are from Rangers, if they win the league that is, if it's fairly close and we lose out in the play offs then I wouldn't be unhappy to let him have 1 more year to get us up but if the gap is big and we fail, then his position should rightly be looked at.

The end of the season is going to to be fun one way or another. :greengrin

oneone73
02-10-2015, 02:04 PM
If we finish clear second it will only be because Rangers have strolled the league, we have given them a start which in all honesty is unacceptable given he had a full summer to organise his squad, we should be neck and neck with Rangers but we have already dropped the silly points we did last season.

A lot will depend on how far back we are from Rangers, if they win the league that is, if it's fairly close and we lose out in the play offs then I wouldn't be unhappy to let him have 1 more year to get us up but if the gap is big and we fail, then his position should rightly be looked at.

The end of the season is going to to be fun one way or another. :greengrin

Genuine question: What if we have the League Cup in the bag?

J-C
02-10-2015, 02:14 PM

A question I hadn't thought of but in all seriousness the league has to be our main aim and any cup run a bonus, a club our size cannot afford to be down here too long or we'll end up like the rest down here, an average team with an average support, expect the support to drop to around 5K if we stay here for too long.

oneone73
02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
A question I hadn't thought of but in all seriousness the league has to be our main aim and any cup run a bonus, a club our size cannot afford to be down here too long or we'll end up like the rest down here, an average team with an average support, expect the support to drop to around 5K if we stay here for too long.

I agree, fwiw

Borderhibbie76
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Me neither.

Sensible post and I agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

sambajustice
02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Why on earth ANYONE would choose Dundee over Edinburgh beats me! I'm sure no sane person would ever do that.

Stubbs seems pretty stable.

Therefore - he'll be staying!

Smartie
02-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Why on earth ANYONE would choose Dundee over Edinburgh beats me! I'm sure no sane person would ever do that.

Stubbs seems pretty stable.

Therefore - he'll be staying!

I went to Uni in Dundee.

The course I studied isn't on offer anywhere in Edinburgh. If it was then I probably wouldn't have been able to get in with my grades.

Loved my time up there, I've never understood why Dundee gets the hard time it does from people.

Lago
02-10-2015, 03:01 PM
I think you might be in the minority, 3 seasons in the second tier of Scottish football not acceptable to many.

Thecat23
02-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Watch what u say as youll get jumped on for being a troll and all that lol
I said on sat nite that stubbs would be considered and i got jumped on for saying it. If the cat says its nonsense eh! Clearly isnt in the know as muxh as he thinks ☺

Eh? I never said I'd heard anything about it. In fact I'm sure I said I'd fully expect Utd to at least look at him.

Here is what I said..

"Stubbs and his coaching team are very well respected up here. Although we maybe aren't sitting top of the league many teams admire Stubbs.

I've no info at all, but I'd be surprised if his name isn't someone they would like to speak with. I think Hibs would tell them to beat it unless Stubbs has a clause in his contract that if a top tier side came in he can speak to them."

CallumLaidlaw
02-10-2015, 03:11 PM
I think you might be in the minority, 3 seasons in the second tier of Scottish football not acceptable to many.

So you think that if we don't go up this season, no matter the circumstances, the majority of Hibs fans will want Stubbs out? I disagree with that. In fact, I reckon at LEAST 75% would be comfortable with him getting another season, unless things go horribly wrong in the next 8 months.

Lago
02-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Personally dont think that would make a blind bit of difference.

Thecat23
02-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Personally dont think that would make a blind bit of difference.

What I think is if we don't go up I still think a bigger club will try take Stubbs. I hope he stays as I rate him.

Smartie
02-10-2015, 03:25 PM

I don't think 3 years in the second tier of Scottish football should be acceptable to ANYONE.

But if that is what it ends up being, how much of that is Stubbs' fault?

Last season - inherits an abomination of a squad from Butcher, culls 90% of it, sorts out just about every department but falls just short when it comes to having a cutting edge in front of goal, loses his main striker about 5 games into the season, Hearts romp the league and we end up being edged out by The Rangers in the playoffs.

This season - who knows but The Rangers have got they act together and in spite of their turmoil still have more resources than us. It is also the start of October, who knows where the season may go yet, positively or negatively.

(If it comes to pass) the main reasons we will be down for 3 years will be Petrie, Butcher, Fenlon and Calderwood. We ended up with Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher because Petrie didn't show a bit of backing for managers who (like Stubbs) weren't perfect but still had a lot going for them.

bingo70
02-10-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't think 3 years in the second tier of Scottish football should be acceptable to ANYONE.

Last season - inherits an abomination of a squad from Butcher, culls 90% of it, sorts out just about every department but falls just short when it comes to having a cutting edge in front of goal, loses his main striker about 5 games into the season, Hearts romp the league and we end up being edged out by The Rangers in the playoffs.

This season - who knows but The Rangers have got they act together and in spite of their turmoil still have more resources than us. It is also the start of October, who knows where the season may go yet, positively or negatively.

(If it comes to pass) the main reasons we will be down for 3 years will be Petrie, Butcher, Fenlon and Calderwood. We ended up with Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher because Petrie didn't show a bit of backing for managers who (like Stubbs) weren't perfect but still had a lot going for them.

When I'm judging Stubbs performance this season, rangers performance won't come into it. If we win almost every game but narrowly miss out then we'd have done ok and Stubbs would deserve more time. If we continue to drop points like we have this season and we miss out on top spot by a mile then too right he'll come under pressure. That's nothing to do with the rangers though.

Smartie
02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
When I'm judging Stubbs performance this season, rangers performance won't come into it. If we win almost every game but narrowly miss out then we'd have done ok and Stubbs would deserve more time. If we continue to drop points like we have this season and we miss out on top spot by a mile then too right he'll come under pressure. That's nothing to do with the rangers though.

I think that is a fair and reasonable way to assess his performance.

We could do as well as we did in 1998 and still be pipped by Rangers doing better.

That's why I think it is unfair for people to be judging Stubbs based only on whether or not he gets promoted this season. That in itself doesn't tell the whole story.

And fwiw I'm as annoyed as anyone about the silly points we've chucked away already.

pennyhibee
02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Don't think he'd leave us.
You think right

Andy74
02-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Okay, just taking this post as an example. Fenlon taking a team that could have been relegated to two cup finals and 7th place then into the top six is classed as failure but we would back a manager taking more than two years to get out of the Championship?

Backing him is fine but the same understanding and realism should be applied to judging those who have gone before.

Lago
02-10-2015, 04:46 PM
So you think that if we don't go up this season, no matter the circumstances, the majority of Hibs fans will want Stubbs out? I disagree with that. In fact, I reckon at LEAST 75% would be comfortable with him getting another season, unless things go horribly wrong in the next 8 months.
We will have to agree to disagree on this I think.:agree:

Thecat23
02-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Okay, just taking this post as an example. Fenlon taking a team that could have been relegated to two cup finals and 7th place then into the top six is classed as failure but we would back a manager taking more than two years to get out of the Championship?

Backing him is fine but the same understanding and realism should be applied to judging those who have gone before.

Fenlon wouldn't do any better in this league than Stubbs. That I am very sure of! If Stubbs came in same time as Fenlon I don't think we'd be down either. Fenlons football droves thousands away so if it meant sacking two or three to get someone like Stubbs and rebuild a league below I'd take that everyday because we were drifting in no mans land for too long the club needed freshened up. Dempster has also done great.

I'm delighted Fenlon is gone as I am Butcher/Calderwood. Some of the worst football I've seen at ER was under those failures. Yes I said failures because we didn't win any cups under any of them.

bingo70
02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Stubbs is starting to remind me a bit of Steven pressley before he moved south, reputation far exceeding anything he's actually achieved in management.

I don't doubt that there are things Stubbs is very good at but I'm not really sure what he's done that merits him getting a move up a division?

I also think Stubbs would be tempted by the move, it's looking like the play offs are our best chance to go up and he will see there's a huge amount of risk staying with us and he's probably confident of being a success in the top division.

Fwiw I think it could potentially be a good move for all parties.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Stubbs is starting to remind me a bit of Steven pressley before he moved south, reputation far exceeding anything he's actually achieved in management.

I don't doubt that there are things Stubbs is very good at but I'm not really sure what he's done that merits him getting a move up a division?

I also think Stubbs would be tempted by the move, it's looking like the play offs are our best chance to go up and he will see there's a huge amount of risk staying with us and he's probably confident of being a success in the top division.

Fwiw I think it could potentially be a good move for all parties.

Who do you suggest would be the man to take us up?

bingo70
02-10-2015, 06:06 PM

I've never met any of the potential candidates so I couldn't answer that but to suggest there's not potentially better out there is a bit silly. How many hearts fans would have predicted Neilsons success?

If Stubbs was to go I think he'd have left excellent foundations for whoever replaces him but I do have concerns that Stubbs still doesn't know how to break down pish teams that park the bus against us.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2015, 06:11 PM

What difference does it make, who anyone thinks would be the right man to take us up? Nobody that posts on here gets paid a penny to make that call, but we can comment on whats going on now and how players and management are doing.

Those that are paid to select managers have hopefully got this one right, but in all honesty we are hardly ripping up trees after having a full season in preparation for another crack at 2nd tier football.

Smartie
02-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Which I think is reasonable and fair.

I agree that Fenlon had highlights.

But his last transfer window was utterly lamentable (how much of that was down to him, how much was down to Petrie is debatable) and he handed a dreadful squad on to Butcher - almost as bad as the one he inherited. I'm not bothered where they were in the league, they had no goal threat and were only going in one direction. Fenlon had lost the dressing room (he would admit this) and we were in terrible shape.

He had 2 years, tried his best, had his moments (both good and unbelievably bad) but imo ultimately left us pretty much where he found us.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 06:30 PM
What difference does it make, who anyone thinks would be the right man to take us up? Nobody that posts on here gets paid a penny to make that call, but we can comment on whats going on now and how players and management are doing.

Those that are paid to select managers have hopefully got this one right, but in all honesty we are hardly ripping up trees after having a full season in preparation for another crack at 2nd tier football.

Someone else posted, another new manager, more transition (and certainly no guarantees new manager would get us up).......

How much money would we have to pay to get a new management team in (assuming Stubbs doesn't get better gig, and we get compensation).....It's never ending, a vicious circle............

bingo70
02-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Someone else posted, another new manager, more transition (and certainly no guarantees new manager would get us up).......

How much money would we have to pay to get a new management team in (assuming Stubbs doesn't get better gig, and we get compensation).....It's never ending, a vicious circle............

I also posted that Stubbs has laid the foundations for his replacement and in this division I don't think there would be need for another period of transition.

I like Stubbs and think he talks a good game, I'd love him to be a success but I struggle to look past how much we toil against such poor opposition. To be more or less out of the title race in this division by the start of October is nowhere near good enough.

Just to reiterate though, I'm not calling for him to be sacked, I just wouldn't shed a tear if he was to move on.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I also posted that Stubbs has laid the foundations for his replacement and in this division I don't think there would be need for another period of transition.

I like Stubbs and think he talks a good game, I'd love him to be a success but I struggle to look past how much we toil against such poor opposition. To be more or less out of the title race in this division by the start of October is nowhere near good enough.

Just to reiterate though, I'm not calling for him to be sacked, I just wouldn't shed a tear if he was to move on.

Always an element of transition with a new management team, different training methods, styles of play, new players wanted, some existing ones falling out of favor etc

bingo70
02-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Always an element of transition with a new management team, different training methods, styles of play, new players wanted, some existing ones falling out of favor etc

Yes but not the sort of wholesale changes that take a year to see the benefits.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Yes but not the sort of wholesale changes that take a year to see the benefits.

I do think a couple of more games whereby we drop points, the natives will start getting restless. How the flip have we got to this stage........

bingo70
02-10-2015, 07:19 PM
I do think a couple of more games whereby we drop points, the natives will start getting restless. How the flip have we got to this stage........

I know, unfortunately the start we've had leaves us no room for error. I also think the way we play games more slip ups are inevitable.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 07:23 PM
I know, unfortunately the start we've had leaves us no room for error. I also think the way we play games more slip ups are inevitable.

Maybe lifting the Scottish will spare him:greengrin

3pm
02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Maybe lifting the Scottish will spare him:greengrin

You know what you need to do to make it happen... :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 07:26 PM
You know what you need to do to make it happen... :agree:

:greengrin

Ronniekirk
02-10-2015, 07:43 PM
I've never met any of the potential candidates so I couldn't answer that but to suggest there's not potentially better out there is a bit silly. How many hearts fans would have predicted Neilsons success?

If Stubbs was to go I think he'd have left excellent foundations for whoever replaces him but I do have concerns that Stubbs still doesn't know how to break down pish teams that park the bus against us.

He might well of laid excellent foundations but if he was offered and accepted United job he could well come back in the January a Transfer window and rip out some of those foundations .Also a lot of the current squad resigned because of Stubbs ,so no guarantee a new manager would get the best out of some players .
I personally don't think he will take the United job as they aren't as big a club as Hibs and I think he would prefer to get us back up and then he may have other suitors .
The only way I think he would go to United is if
1) He thinks the squad he has assembled won't get us promoted and 2) Thompson offers him decent money to rebuild United squad .
He likes bringing through young players and United s track record on that is good so that would tempt him ,but he has said he is ambitious ,and I am not sure he will see them as best next step to further his career .

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
He might well of laid excellent foundations but if he was offered and accepted United job he could well come back in the January a Transfer window and rip out some of those foundations .Also a lot of the current squad resigned because of Stubbs ,so no guarantee a new manager would get the best out of some players .
I personally don't think he will take the United job as they aren't as big a club as Hibs and I think he would prefer to get us back up and then he may have other suitors .
The only way I think he would go to United is if
1) He thinks the squad he has assembled won't get us promoted and 2) Thompson offers him decent money to rebuild United squad .
He likes bringing through young players and United s track record on that is good so that would tempt him ,but he has said he is ambitious ,and I am not sure he will see them as best next step to further his career .

Don't see AS going to Utd under any circumstances, and I thought they were skint?

bingo70
02-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Don't see AS going to Utd under any circumstances, and I thought they were skint?

If Stubbs goes to dundee utd tomorrow he can show this season he can handle the step up. If he stays with us it's potentially another 2 years until he can prove that and if he fails this year he'll know he could have a sacking on his cv.

He doesn't need the money so imo his decision would be based on what his quickest route back to English football would be and looking at our early season form I think he'd have a decision to make.

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 08:04 PM
If Stubbs goes to dundee utd tomorrow he can show this season he can handle the step up. If he stays with us it's potentially another 2 years until he can prove that and if he fails this year he'll know he could have a sacking on his cv.

He doesn't need the money so imo his decision would be based on what his quickest route back to English football would be and looking at our early season form I think he'd have a decision to make.

I genuinely think he loves it here, and wants to finish the job

bingo70
02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I genuinely think he loves it here, and wants to finish the job

That's what folk said about Scott Allan! ;-)

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Who?

Jonnyboy
02-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Hibernian head coach Alan Stubbs says he has not been approached by Dundee United and that he has "a job to do" at Easter Road. (Scotsman)

Billy Whizz
02-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Think there's a million things different between a selfish player, and a manager who's brought in 80% of the squad. We're talking about Dundee United here. Any manager in work would do their due diligence, and decide that Stephen Thompson is not the sort of chairman you'd want to work for, and I know him really well!

Baldy Foghorn
02-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Think there's a million things different between a selfish player, and a manager who's brought in 80% of the squad. We're talking about Dundee United here. Any manager in work would do their due diligence, and decide that Stephen Thompson is not the sort of chairman you'd want to work for, and I know him really well!

:top marks

Billy Whizz
03-10-2015, 12:19 PM
No way in a million years will United go for Stubbs, all press nonsense

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2015, 12:20 AM
sore one for the Arabs y/day

3-0 v the Maryhill Magyars...ouch

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-10-2015, 09:29 AM
United can't buy a result just now. I don't see a new manager turning them around quickly.