PDA

View Full Version : Steven Thompson

Carheenlea
26-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Should have been red carded for a disgraceful kick at Hanlon - no attempt whatsoever to make the tackle. He was congratulated with a hand slap from Jim Goodwin which pretty much sums up the thuggish mentality at St Mirren.

CL0762
26-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Yep, hopefully with the way he set his team up, makes Hibs fans think twice about ever wanting Ian Murray in the Hibs dugout. Total shambles of a side we faced today.

JJP
26-09-2015, 04:25 PM
How he ever played for Oldco I'll never know. An absolutely abysmal footballer!

CallumLaidlaw
26-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Number 25 should have also been off the park. Got booked and how the ref never went back and booked him for his blatant kick is beyond me

Tyler Durden
26-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Yep, hopefully with the way he set his team up, makes Hibs fans think twice about ever wanting Ian Murray in the Hibs dugout. Total shambles of a side we faced today.

Shambles that won a good point for themselves

Really don't understand this type of post, seems like some of our fans expect every team to turn up and play open football and make things easy for us.

St Mirren won most of their battles today, where were Hibs leaders?

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Yep. The bad guys got what they wanted today, disgusting behaviour from those thugs Goodwin, Webster and Thomson.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Really don't understand this type of post, seems like some of our fans expect every team to turn up and play open football and make things easy for us.

No I don't expect any team to make it easy for us. Is it too much however to expect them to at least try to make a game of it, stop wasting time from start to finish, and not kick us off the park?

The thing is this. Hardly any team that comes to ER in this league even tries to play "open football". It's brutal to watch, and I would never defend or praise teams who play the game like that.

By "battles" do you mean for example Thomson chopping the Hibs player down from behind (a red card IMO) then knowing he was in trouble offering a handshake? Can't stand when any player does that. Cowardly.

Carheenlea
26-09-2015, 06:02 PM

The Steven Thompson incident was nothing to do with competing in a battle - it was a kick at a Hibs player with no attempt at making a tackle. I enjoy watching players going in hard with tackles, but this was an offence that merited a red card IMO.

Alfred E Newman
Yep. The bad guys got what they wanted today, disgusting behaviour from those thugs Goodwin, Webster and Thomson.

If you were a St Mirren fan you would probably be happy with that but these 3 disgusting players were only able to get away with their antics by an atrocious and inept referee Crawford Allan. Each week you think the refereeing can't get worse but it does.

Johnny_Leith
Thomson and number 25 - Gallacher I think? Were both very lucky not to be sent off.

Considering Thomsons was clinical, late, from behind and malicious I'm very surprised he wasn't sent off however I doubt it would have made too much of a difference

Billy Whizz
26-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Who was the guy who booted McGinn, and didn't even get spoken too

Onion
26-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Should have been red carded for a disgraceful kick at Hanlon - no attempt whatsoever to make the tackle. He was congratulated with a hand slap from Jim Goodwin which pretty much sums up the thuggish mentality at St Mirren.

St M played the match like their lives depended on it, and time wasted from the 5th minute onwards. Utterly pathetic excuse for a club. Seen a couple of the matches this season and they played and acted like lower league fodder. Pathetic Hun-Lovers.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Came for a point and left with a point? I don't see what is wrong with that. The fact that we let them take a point isn't down to him.

Tyler Durden
26-09-2015, 06:13 PM
No I don't expect any team to make it easy for us. Is it too much however to expect them to at least try to make a game of it, stop wasting time from start to finish, and not kick us off the park?

The thing is this. Hardly any team that comes to ER in this league even tries to play "open football". It's brutal to watch, and I would never defend or praise teams who play the game like that.

By "battles" do you mean for example Thomson chopping the Hibs player down from behind (a red card IMO) then knowing he was in trouble offering a handshake? Can't stand when any player does that. Cowardly.

What does "make a game of it mean"? Any team hoping to win a league needs a ruthless streak to win these games. A nasty side which we simply don't have. No point bemoaning the opposition approach IMO.

Hibs remain soft and one dimensional and Stubbs needs to sort that out albeit he's hampered by injuries for now

JimBHibees
26-09-2015, 06:20 PM
The Steven Thompson incident was nothing to do with competing in a battle - it was a kick at a Hibs player with no attempt at making a tackle. I enjoy watching players going in hard with tackles, but this was an offence that merited a red card IMO.

Stick on red card but ref was soft as. We didn't do enough second half but the ref allowing the spoiling and the stopping the game and talking rather than carding was ridiculous. The allowing the sub in the last minute to stand in front of the ball summed it up. We really do need someone to get in the refs ear though. How Goodwin didn't get a card said it all.

JimBHibees
26-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Came for a point and left with a point? I don't see what is wrong with that. The fact that we let them take a point isn't down to him.

The style and manner of the football was horrific though. Never a Hibs manager in a million years.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 06:36 PM
What does "make a game of it mean"? Any team hoping to win a league needs a ruthless streak to win these games. A nasty side which we simply don't have. No point bemoaning the opposition approach IMO.

Hibs remain soft and one dimensional and Stubbs needs to sort that out albeit he's hampered by injuries for now

It means going out to try to win the game, at least attempting to play some attacking football, and scoring more goals than the opposition. Not sitting in for 90 minutes and hoping to snatch a lucky away goal on the break.

It also means going out to try to entertain spectators, and NOT going out with the sole intention of spoiling the game (time wasting from kick off the the final whistle) and stopping the opposition by fair means or foul. Would you be happy to see Hibs play like St Mirren did today?

I agree teams need a ruthless streak to win a league, but St Mirren will not be winning any league soon. How does Stubbs install a "nasty side"?

matty_f
26-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Thomson should have been off. He's just another dirty hacking *******, though. The whole St Mirren team were at it today.

DaveF
26-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Hibs did that almost every time we went to Ibrox or Celtc Park.

DaveF
26-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Thomson should have been off. He's just another dirty hacking *******, though. The whole St Mirren team were at it today.

Are we (collective, not you) being a bit precious here? Sure, Thomson's was a bad foul but that's all it was. He was fired up after battling with Fontaine and it was obvious he was going to be carded for something.

I used to love it when Mixu was battering defenders and Matty Jack was tearing through everything. Neither of them were shy of playing on the other side of the games law's so let's not be too hypocritical.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Hibs did that almost every time we went to Ibrox or Celtc Park.

What? Hibs went to kick Rangers and Celtic off the park, and time wasted from start to finish? I really doubt that. Does that include the twice Hibs won at Ibrox last season for example?

Hibs lose more games than they win at those two grounds over the years, as does every other team in Scotland without exception. But Hibs were never IMO ever considered a bunch of dirty cloggers. If anything, Hibs have been considered "too soft" for many years, and despite our failings had a reputation for trying to play attacking football.

DaveF
26-09-2015, 07:20 PM
What? Hibs went to kick Rangers and Celtic off the park, and time wasted from start to finish? I really doubt that. Does that include the twice Hibs won at Ibrox last season for example?

Hibs lose more games than they win at those two grounds over the years, as does every other team in Scotland without exception. But Hibs were never IMO ever considered a bunch of dirty cloggers. If anything, Hibs have been considered "too soft" for many years, and despite our failings had a reputation for trying to play attacking football.

I didn't say we went to those places and kicked teams off the park?

I'm making the point that for years and years we went to those grounds and made little or no attempt to play 'open football'. I've no idea how old you are but I saw enough games in the 80's and 90's where we sat in from minute 1 and it was pure anti football. Only when McLeish and Mowbray came along did we have a go and then more recently (IE, last season's results).

You can slag St Mirren off all you like, but we've played in exactly the same way in years gone by to try and get a result. We just have to deal with it.

emerald green
26-09-2015, 07:40 PM
I didn't say we went to those places and kicked teams off the park?

I'm making the point that for years and years we went to those grounds and made little or no attempt to play 'open football'. I've no idea how old you are but I saw enough games in the 80's and 90's where we sat in from minute 1 and it was pure anti football. Only when McLeish and Mowbray came along did we have a go and then more recently (IE, last season's results).

You can slag St Mirren off all you like, but we've played in exactly the same way in years gone by to try and get a result. We just have to deal with it.

I was going through to Ibrox and Parkhead in the 70s. Very scary - no segregation then. I don't bother now. Hibs certainly made an attempt to play football in those days too, but even then often came out on the losing side. Not always though.

I disagree Hibs played in exactly the same way as St Mirren today, in years gone bye. In many matches that you refer to Hibs were simply outplayed, and had no option other than to defend because they were up against far superior teams on many of those occasions. Where Hibs had the opportunity to play football though, they tried to do so.

I do not remember Hibs goalkeepers wasting time, from start to finish, ever. I've never heard Hibs being accused of being anti-football, except on this forum.

DaveF
26-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I was going through to Ibrox and Parkhead in the 70s. Very scary - no segregation then. I don't bother now. Hibs certainly made an attempt to play football in those days too, but even then often came out on the losing side. Not always though.

I disagree Hibs played in exactly the same way as St Mirren today, in years gone bye. In many matches that you refer to Hibs were simply outplayed, and had no option other than to defend because they were up against far superior teams on many of those occasions. Where Hibs had the opportunity to play football though, they tried to do so.

I do not remember Hibs goalkeepers wasting time, from start to finish, ever. I've never heard Hibs being accused of being anti-football, except on this forum.

So why isn't it OK for St Mirren - with an inferior squad and budget to us - to lay out a plan to defend from the off and try to nick a goal on the break against (an alleged :greengrin) superior team?

As for Hibs keepers wasting time - Do you watch Oxley? :greengrin

emerald green
26-09-2015, 08:18 PM
So why isn't it OK for St Mirren - with an inferior squad and budget to us - to lay out a plan to defend from the off and try to nick a goal on the break against (an alleged :greengrin) superior team?

As for Hibs keepers wasting time - Do you watch Oxley? :greengrin

St Mirren were playing in a league above Hibs only last season. Is their squad all that inferior to Hibs? Maybe so?

IMO there isn't all that big a difference between most teams in the Premiership and the better teams in the Championship. In a one-off match I think they are all capable of beating each other. St Mirren made no real attempt to do that today. The came to defend and succeeded. Time wasting is cheating though, and I cannot defend that.

I don't believe Oxley is under instructions from Alan Stubbs to waste time, from start to finish, in matches Hibs are trying to win at ER. That's nonsense. Time wasting was a deliberate tactic employed by the St Mirren goalkeeper throughout the whole match today (and most other goalkeepers at ER). Ian Murray will have been totally unaware of that of course.

snedzuk
26-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Stick on red card but ref was soft as. We didn't do enough second half but the ref allowing the spoiling and the stopping the game and talking rather than carding was ridiculous. The allowing the sub in the last minute to stand in front of the ball summed it up. We really do need someone to get in the refs ear though. How Goodwin didn't get a card said it all.

Liam Craig?

snedzuk
26-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Are we (collective, not you) being a bit precious here? Sure, Thomson's was a bad foul but that's all it was. He was fired up after battling with Fontaine and it was obvious he was going to be carded for something.

I used to love it when Mixu was battering defenders and Matty Jack was tearing through everything. Neither of them were shy of playing on the other side of the games law's so let's not be too hypocritical.

Roy Barry would show Thomson what a real challenge was!

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-09-2015, 09:09 PM
The style and manner of the football was horrific though. Never a Hibs manager in a million years.

Agreed it was brutal, but there is no denying that they had a game plan and they stuck to it and they got what they came for.

matty_f
26-09-2015, 09:23 PM

I thought the foul was borderline red card, but the elbows on Fontaine warranted at least a second yellow (somehow the ref saw that as a foul to them).

Black Kyle
26-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Thomson and number 25 - Gallacher I think? Were both very lucky not to be sent off.

Considering Thomsons was clinical, late, from behind and malicious I'm very surprised he wasn't sent off however I doubt it would have made too much of a difference

Agreed - but so was Lewis for hands on the ref so at least he was consistent!