PDA

View Full Version : Banana Skin tomorrow?

bigwheel
25-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Tomorrows game has all the ingredients that usually cause us problems.

A St Mirren team struggling for form post relegation . Us On the high of a good victory and a decent set of results . Everyone expecting us to win . Ian Murray as manager , ex Player in Keith Watson , Andy Webster and Stephen Thompson in their team , the shrinking violet that is Jim Goodwin - and some great young talent in Stevie Mallan in their side

What's the chances that this is a new Hibs - one that can take these defining matches and actually press ahead with a good result ??

For me , it will be a real test of our performance levels - any views ??

Ozyhibby
25-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Every game has its dangers. We need to WIN every week which brings new pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibby Gav
25-09-2015, 11:38 AM
My view is this is when our team need us most.
We hit St Midden with all we have on and off the pitch from the first whistle....get ER bouncing ...remember, we will be back to trying to break teams down so our support is key !

ggtth

Libby Hibby
25-09-2015, 11:39 AM
It'll be a tough game and we'll need to work hard for our win.

A victory for us will see them quite a bit behind the pack so they'll be hoping to take something from it but I just think we'll have to much for them.

3-1 Hibs

CallumLaidlaw
25-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I suppose every game is a Banana skin, but I know what you mean. Based on their performances that I've seen against Raith & Rangers, I'm not overly concerned, but they could be 1 game away from "clicking" so we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully our players take a real boost from Wednesday. I wouldnt be surprised to see Murray go back to his Dumbarton set up against us, so very defensive, and the likes of Watson may have a point to prove against us. I think we'll have enough. 2-1 Hibs.

3pm
25-09-2015, 11:54 AM
After the highs of Wednesday night I hope we don't 'do a Hibs'. A scrappy 1-0 will do me fine tomorrow.

S4uzee
25-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I suppose every game is a Banana skin, but I know what you mean. Based on their performances that I've seen against Raith & Rangers, I'm not overly concerned, but they could be 1 game away from "clicking" so we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully our players take a real boost from Wednesday. I wouldnt be surprised to see Murray go back to his Dumbarton set up against us, so very defensive, and the likes of Watson may have a point to prove against us. I think we'll have enough. 2-1 Hibs.
Agree with what you say. A bit like us last year getting that result at ibrox which wasn't really expected and we kicked on from there

scoopyboy
25-09-2015, 12:03 PM
As long as Rangers aren't dropping points then every Hibs fixture is a banana skin, no margin for error IMO.

PatHead
25-09-2015, 12:11 PM
As long as Rangers aren't dropping points then every Hibs fixture is a banana skin, no margin for error IMO.

Even when they do drop points we have to keep winning with no room for error. We simply must win our home games which we didn't do often enough last season. I think it is different now with the confidence building.

Be interesting to see how they (the new club) react to a good humping during the week.

scoopyboy
25-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Even when they do drop points we have to keep winning with no room for error. We simply must win our home games which we didn't do often enough last season. I think it is different now with the confidence building.

Be interesting to see how they (the new club) react to a good humping during the week.

Agreed, and Morton thus far appear to be stuffy.

Ronniekirk
25-09-2015, 12:16 PM

A St Mirren team struggling for form post relegation . Us On the high of a good victory and a decent set of results . Everyone expecting us to win . Ian Murray as manager , ex Player in Keith Watson , Andy Webster and Stephen Thompson in their team , the shrinking violet that is Jim Goodwin - and some great young talent in Stevie Mallan in their side

What's the chances that this is a new Hibs - one that can take these defining matches and actually press ahead with a good result ??

They have a good young skill full player on loan from Celtic and Shankland on loan from Aberdeen as well ,so think they will probably raise their game and we need to see how some of our players cope after the high of midweek .
We are now on a run and not conceding goals so even if we don't reach the heights of Wednesday night we just need to grind out a result in this one
hagent seen any reported injuries and Feruz and Keatings might be ok to come off the bench if needed Henderson was taken off early ,and Bartley was a late sub ,so we have options to freshen things up Add in Fyfie and Foster if fit and the elusive Anier

DH1875
25-09-2015, 12:17 PM
They should be one of our tougher games but we need to win, simple as.

ahibby
25-09-2015, 12:18 PM
It's fairly typical for Hibs to get a good result against a good team and follow it up with a loss to a smaller team that they'd expect to beat. I think that's what the o.p. is getting at.

I remember when we beat St Johnstone in the semi final on our way to winning the league cup (the game at Tynecastle). It was a tough game but Benji made sure we got a third goal that sealed the game for us. Our next game was a home game against Falkirk at ER in the league. I spoke to Rob Jones after the St J game and I mentioned that the Falkirk game the following Sat. was an imperative win situation if we wanted to finish top six. John Collins was in ear shot of the conversation. Anyway IIRC Falkirk came for a fight and we didn't give them one. We did however keep the ball well using wide positions mostly and again IIRC we won 2-0 and finished in the top six. It might sound like I'm taking some credit for that but that's not what I'm getting at. What I am getting at is that as long as they focus on the game coming up and as it is being played tomorrow then they should do alright. We won't win every game we expect to win but if we stay focused and concentrate on the game at hand, then we should do alright. I haven't seen St Mirren since they lost to Rangers at Ibrox, when I thought they played okay in patches without causing any problems but if they haven't improved since then it's hard to see them hurting us, but it's all about what we do tomorrow.

patlowe
25-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Hopefully competition within the squad keeps everyone on their toes going into this one. All the fringe guys that had a part to play on Wednesday did a great job so everyone involved should be motivated to keep/win their place in the team. Not sure we've had that in the recent past.

jacomo
25-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Stubbs got the measure of Murray by the end of last season, I expect St Mirren to approach the game in a similar way. Relentless knocking on the door will see us prevail - I'd play Bartley to ensure against any counter attacks.

JimBHibees
25-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Stubbs got the measure of Murray by the end of last season, I expect St Mirren to approach the game in a similar way. Relentless knocking on the door will see us prevail - I'd play Bartley to ensure against any counter attacks.

Agree as I think the game will be physical and we could do with matching that.

green.and.white
25-09-2015, 12:46 PM
I believe in the team to go and get the win, which would be very 'un-Hibs' after a result like Wednesday :-)

R'Albin
25-09-2015, 04:22 PM
It's fairly typical for Hibs to get a good result against a good team and follow it up with a loss to a smaller team that they'd expect to beat. I think that's what the o.p. is getting at.

I remember when we beat St Johnstone in the semi final on our way to winning the league cup (the game at Tynecastle). It was a tough game but Benji made sure we got a third goal that sealed the game for us. Our next game was a home game against Falkirk at ER in the league. I spoke to Rob Jones after the St J game and I mentioned that the Falkirk game the following Sat. was an imperative win situation if we wanted to finish top six. John Collins was in ear shot of the conversation. Anyway IIRC Falkirk came for a fight and we didn't give them one. We did however keep the ball well using wide positions mostly and again IIRC we won 2-0 and finished in the top six. It might sound like I'm taking some credit for that but that's not what I'm getting at. What I am getting at is that as long as they focus on the game coming up and as it is being played tomorrow then they should do alright. We won't win every game we expect to win but if we stay focused and concentrate on the game at hand, then we should do alright. I haven't seen St Mirren since they lost to Rangers at Ibrox, when I thought they played okay in patches without causing any problems but if they haven't improved since then it's hard to see them hurting us, but it's all about what we do tomorrow.

Stubbs out, ahibby in :agree:

Hibby Kay-Yay
25-09-2015, 04:36 PM
I predict Goodwin going through McGinn.

Hopefully another clean sheet tomorrow, we must be close to some kind of record in that dept?

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2015, 05:27 PM
This will be tough no doubt about it, after Wednesday Hibs will be expected to win and I just hope folk don't get frustrated if we don't score early, I can see it being a bit of a battle to be honest and everything should be fine so long as Hibs are 'up for it'

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I would have fully expected the old Hibs to huff and puff tommorrow. Stubbsy Hibees will see off St Mirren convincingly How about that for positivity :-)

emerald green
25-09-2015, 07:01 PM
It's worth noting Hibs had a very hard game midweek and St Midden didn't. Will Goodwin try to kick our players off the park? If so, will the referee do his job properly?

Hibs are the better team without doubt and if Hibs score first, and impose themselves on their opponents, they should win this match. There's those words again - if and should.

Billy Whizz
25-09-2015, 07:02 PM
It's worth noting Hibs had a very hard game midweek and St Midden didn't. Will Goodwin try to kick our players off the park? If so, will the referee do his job properly?

Hibs are the better team without doubt and if Hibs score first, and impose themselves on their opponents, they should win this match. There's those words again - if and should.
Who is the ref

snooky
25-09-2015, 07:09 PM

Let's hope we score a pear more than them. :wink:

Onion
25-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Hibs cannot afford to drop ANY points if we are to have any realistic chance of catching Sevco. We have a good enough squad to win every match, so Stubbs main job is to get the guys focussed and motivated to do the business.

Billy Whizz
25-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Hibs cannot afford to drop ANY points if we are to have any realistic chance of catching Sevco. We have a good enough squad to win every match, so Stubbs main job is to get the guys focussed and motivated to do the business.

Wonder if we'll make some changes, can't see us going 352 against st Mirren

B.H.F.C
25-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Wonder if we'll make some changes, can't see us going 352 against st Mirren

I think it'll be the team that played at Livi last week.

Billy Whizz
25-09-2015, 07:32 PM
I think it'll be the team that played at Livi last week.

Think you could be right, providing we have no new injuries from Wednesday.
Wonder if the injury to Feruz has healed up

B.H.F.C
25-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Think you could be right, providing we have no new injuries from Wednesday.
Wonder if the injury to Feruz has healed up

Probably be another one of those that we are told is nothing serious. Like we were told with Fyvie who we haven't seen for a month now.

Anyway, never mind Feruz, anyone know if Keatings has trained?

Billy Whizz
25-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Probably be another one of those that we are told is nothing serious. Like we were told with Fyvie who we haven't seen for a month now.

Anyway, never mind Feruz, anyone know if Keatings has trained?

No idea about Keatings, but I'd leave him until after the international break. What's Anier upto, is he training yet?

Jonnyboy
25-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Who is the ref

It's Crawford Allan, Billy

Billy Whizz
25-09-2015, 07:45 PM
It's Crawford Allan, Billy

What's his stats like refereeing our games, johnnyboy.
Anyway what are you doing on Hibs.net on a very special birthday number😀

lord bunberry
25-09-2015, 07:51 PM
We're a much better team than st mirren, we need to go out there and show it. There's no reason why we can't go on a long winning run. The Huns haven't had any pressure applied yet, let's see if they can cope with a rampant hibs breathing down their necks.

Jonnyboy
25-09-2015, 07:55 PM
What's his stats like refereeing our games, johnnyboy.
Anyway what are you doing on Hibs.net on a very special birthday number

:greengrin

B.H.F.C
25-09-2015, 08:07 PM
We're a much better team than st mirren, we need to go out there and show it. There's no reason why we can't go on a long winning run. The Huns haven't had any pressure applied yet, let's see if they can cope with a rampant hibs breathing down their necks.

Said it for weeks, even before St Jonstone showed them up on Tuesday, that everything has run nicely for them so far. Thompson's penalty miss for St Mirren. Henderson missing a sitter at Ibrox and them going right up the park and scoring from a free kick that shouldn't have been a free kick.

Don't get me wrong they've earned a bit of luck at times with the way they've attacked but they've not had anything negative to deal with. They've not had any injuries to key players yet. They have a strong 11 but I still don't think they have much depth beyond that.

I'm hoping that they've been playing as well as they can early whilst we have plenty improvement. We just have to keep winning so that, worst case scenario, the gap is 6 points when we play them. We can't drop any points at all between now and then.

Vault Boy
25-09-2015, 08:21 PM

Pretty much this. We could spend an age looking for potentially dangerous fixtures, but there's no point in doing so. Go out on Saturday, play at the top of our game with the same gusto we displayed against Aberdeen and we'll be set for the rest of the season.

Libby Hibby
25-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Win tomorrow and we go 2nd...massive incentive (provided it stays a draw in Falkirk tonight)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Touch and go for the game tomorrow, got a horrible cold. Missed the game the other day because of it! Will give the old boy my ST if I canny make it :aok:

Sir David Gray
25-09-2015, 11:20 PM
I think we'll win today. :aok:

Jim44
26-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Banana skin? Lets hope there's something in it for us.

Keith_M
26-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Currently 1-0 to the banana skins

:rolleyes:

snooky
26-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Currently 1-0 to the banana skins

:rolleyes:

What a bunch, eh? :rolleyes:

CRAZYHIBBY
26-09-2015, 02:45 PM
The Op should change his name to jonah