GreenLake
24-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Who is this guy? Never heard of him.

.Sean.
24-09-2015, 02:03 PM
:giruy2::giruy2::giruy2::giruy2::giruy2:

Centre Hawf
24-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Hope it pains you and your BBC chums to see us having a great result against your pride and joys from the North. Welt.

marinello59
24-09-2015, 02:52 PM
One of the better presenters and one who has never hidden his allegiance to Aberdeen during good times and bad for them. He has given us plenty of praise in the past as well.

Shrekko
24-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Not sure how anyone could find Richard Gordon offensive, but we seem to be living in this age.

Oscar T Grouch
24-09-2015, 03:03 PM
One of the better presenters and one who has never hidden his allegiance to Aberdeen during good times and bad for them. He has given us plenty of praise in the past as well.

My thoughts too, there are much worse people working in BBC Scotlands sports department. But as he is a self proclaimed sheep, yet it right up ya, yer team are gash :greengrin

Diclonius
24-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Much more pertinent is that's another result Liam McLeod will never mention again.

givescotlandfreedom
24-09-2015, 04:01 PM

Not sure how anyone could find Richard Gordon offensive, but we seem to be living in this age.

I don't mind that he's a sheep. More that he seems to take great pleasure in the demise of Hibs (along with Biscuits and the rest of the hilarious banter team) whilst fawning over the charity thieves at the same time despite their self inflicted cheating problems. Makes him a fud in my book.

Northern Hibby
24-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Agree with both think he gets pelters from others when Aberdeen get pumped out of cups , by teams from lower leagues :wink:

Golden Bear
24-09-2015, 04:30 PM

:agree:

Absolutely correct.

Richard Gordon is one of the better presenters whom I've always thought gives a fairly balanced viewpoint.

Kato
24-09-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't mind that he's a sheep. More that he seems to take great pleasure in the demise of Hibs (along with Biscuits and the rest of the hilarious banter team) whilst fawning over the charity thieves at the same time despite their self inflicted cheating problems. Makes him a fud in my book.

Sounds fair to me. Can't stand him.

hibsbollah
24-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Really can't stand him. On the drive home he professed himself amazed that Malonga had scored, saying 'whenever I've seen him play he looks like he should be substituted after about twenty minutes'. A very classless thing to say even if he thinks it's true.

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Really can't stand him. On the drive home he professed himself amazed that Malonga had scored, saying 'whenever I've seen him play he looks like he should be substituted after about twenty minutes'. A very classless thing to say even if he thinks it's true.

He complimented him while dismissing him as pish.

A difficult thing to achieve!

green day
When we got relegated, he stated - live on BBC scotland - "isnt karma a bitch".

That remark was specifically because we had all giggled about the jambos getting what was coming to them for years of cheating. We, of course are entitled to laugh at them, they are our neighbours and biggest rivals.

So why did he care?

Because he is a jambo loving, sheep ****ging tw@t.

Reasonable and balanced, my erse :rolleyes:

ekhibee
I used to like him but I'm sick of his constant sooking up to the hearts commentators on Sportsound every chance he gets, particularly Preston. And just because he's an Aberdeen fan doesn't mean that he shouldn't be impartial. Just my opinion though.

hibsbollah
24-09-2015, 04:40 PM
He complimented him while dismissing him as pish.

A difficult thing to achieve!

Not really. I can do it too "Congratulations, Richard Gordon, on being a complete ****ing welt":not worth

Lago
24-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Correct, some silly comments on here from some:confused:

MWHIBBIES
24-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Really can't stand him. On the drive home he professed himself amazed that Malonga had scored, saying 'whenever I've seen him play he looks like he should be substituted after about twenty minutes'. A very classless thing to say even if he thinks it's true.Did he mention that Malonga done more in 10 minutes that Rooney and Goodwillie in 90?

keep the faith
24-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Cant we leave the paranoid "everyone hates us" stuff to Celtic??

Quite like Richard Gordon. Follows his local team. Doesn't hide it. Very good informed presenter.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-09-2015, 04:52 PM

That remark was specifically because we had all giggled about the jambos getting what was coming to them for years of cheating. We, of course are entitled to laugh at them, they are our neighbours and biggest rivals.

So why did he care?

To be fair when I first heard him first use the term "eye-bleeding football" it was in relation to Hearts.

My thought is that editorially the Beeb have gone commercial to gain listeners/viewership to justify existence and with a mind to perhaps ultimately some form of hiving off of the profitable bits for subscription/whatever replaces the license fee. Step one the tabloidification through controversial fire starters...

Bostonhibby
24-09-2015, 04:56 PM

So why did he care?

I used to like him but I'm sick of his constant sooking up to the hearts commentators on Sportsound every chance he gets, particularly Preston. And just because he's an Aberdeen fan doesn't mean that he shouldn't be impartial. Just my opinion though.

:agree: Didn't think the BBC charter was set up to allow you to get paid for openly supporting one team whilst ingratiating yourself with others and allowing your personal dislikes to be aired at licence payers expense. Not professional, and a bell end. Theres a lot of yammish and sheep types working for BBC sport on the radio in Scotland, had a look on the website and its easy to see why - made for radio.

Andy74
24-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Cant we leave the paranoid "everyone hates us" stuff to Celtic??

Quite like Richard Gordon. Follows his local team. Doesn't hide it. Very good informed presenter.

Not that informed if he didn't realise after a year here that Malonga has a bit of skill about him. He was laughing about it as if he was a known donkey.

Spike Mandela
24-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Used to find Gordon fair minded and balanced until the lead up to our relegation and his unexplainable love in for Hearts.

I distinctly remember minutes after our relegation to Hamilton, live on air laughing, yes actually laughing with deep relish and saying 'Karmas a bitch'.

Will never forgive him for that and no matter how magnolia he tries to be at times when the mask slipped it slipped big style.

Hope Aberdeen get relegated in the future so I can return the sentiment.

AlbertK86
24-09-2015, 05:06 PM

I'm with you ... Tried to ridicule Hibs to sook in with the poppy thief sympathisers like Preston, Robertson etc

Viva_Palmeiras
24-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Did not Aberdeen dodge the bullet when Falkirk got KBd?
They're due one.
Having said that its the only terracing I've stood on aside of Hibs and they're decent (I've also been in their end at Tynie) quite a knowledgeable bunch overall I found. Until Paw Broon and Mcinnes they were almost more of a basket case club than us. Our relegation put that to bed...

Kato
24-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Used to find Gordon fair minded and balanced until the lead up to our relegation and his unexplainable love in for Hearts.

I distinctly remember minutes after our relegation to Hamilton, live on air laughing, yes actually laughing with deep relish and saying 'Karmas a bitch'.

Will never forgive him for that and no matter how magnolia he tries to be at times when the mask slipped it slipped big style.

His disdain for Hibs started well before that, as did the laughing whenever things went badly for us.

However it seems some think it's OK for him to say what he likes about us but if we show the same disdain for him then the comments are "silly".

No time for him or his jambo chums at the BBC. Their one-sidedness on reporting Edinburgh is well beyond "banter".

kaimendhibs
24-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Completely agree

jabis
24-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Correct,well said.

Ronniekirk
24-09-2015, 05:15 PM
He did say he hadn't seen Malonga do that before and hinted he didn't think he had that in his locker .
but he did go on to say the the move and way he glided past defenders and finished was World Class
Overall I don't mind him

maturehibby
24-09-2015, 05:17 PM

I concur - which to the ones who think Gordon is good is I agree to whar givescotlandfreedom said

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Not that informed if he didn't realise after a year here that Malonga has a bit of skill about him. He was laughing about it as if he was a known donkey.

:agree: the third top scorer in the league last year that scored against Hearts in a derby (when he'd have been there). Makes him look clueless.

Unless he's been reading here and getting tweets from Hibs fans telling him all about Malonga...

emerald green
24-09-2015, 05:25 PM

:agree: Yep, that's the trouble with two-faced twats like Gordon. You never know which face you're talking to.

BurghHibby
24-09-2015, 05:32 PM
He's just sick of us humping his beloved sheep out of cup competitions!
How many in a row is that?

hibsbollah
24-09-2015, 05:37 PM
He did say he hadn't seen Malonga do that before and hinted he didn't think he had that in his locker .
but he did go on to say the the move and way he glided past defenders and finished was World Class
Overall I don't mind him

No, he didn't 'hint' at anything, unless we're talking about two different pieces of punditry. It was word for word what I said earlier, you just don't hear pundits slagging off players like that normally.

rcarter1
24-09-2015, 05:41 PM

So why did he care?

I still, really, don't get this whole sorry fiasco. Hibs fans were well entitled to feel some resentment in the situation. Given that we had been on the sore end for many years of a lot of defeats, that, in the end, was paid for by welching Lithuania. People who don't get how this is a -bad- thing, are either blinkered Jambos who cant face the truth, or people who are themselves corrupt, or guilty of financial skull duggery, and need some partners in crime to justify this to themselves. Astonishes me the amount of people that think scamming, cheating, rip offs, and the rest of it is all part of the 'game'.

The Karma is a bitch thing would have been more appropriate if Hearts had gone pop. It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon has some guilty financial secrets to hide. Allegedly.

Aldo
24-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Got absolutely no time for the 'BBC' roasters crew. I would of had them all banned from ER a long long time ago.

Stopped listening to them ages ago. Gordon, Miller and in particular Preston can go F themselves.

jabis
24-09-2015, 05:47 PM
For God's sake people,the man is knowledgeable about football and loves all the banter.He slags off hibs a damn sight less than the likes of blackpoolhibs.
I for one enjoy the exitable contradictions that the whole of football throws up.
He's NOT a hibs fan,accept it.

Mr White
24-09-2015, 05:50 PM
His disdain for Hibs started well before that, as did the laughing whenever things went badly for us.

However it seems some think it's OK for him to say what he likes about us but if we show the same disdain for him then the comments are "silly".

No time for him or his jambo chums at the BBC. Their one-sidedness on reporting Edinburgh is well beyond "banter".

It was around the time of garry Oconnors alleged dive v st johnstone (2011?) that I noticed his attitude towards us change. He just wouldn't let that go and kept comparing it to pawlets dive against us at pittodrie

Ronniekirk
24-09-2015, 05:52 PM
No, he didn't 'hint' at anything, unless we're talking about two different pieces of punditry. It was word for word what I said earlier, you just don't hear pundits slagging off players like that normally.

I wasn't at the game so am talking about after he scored the goal .But I agree he kept coming back to the subject and at one point was laughing as he still couldn't believe Malonga had scored a goal like that and in that sense he continued to be disparaging ,when talking about Big Dom But am sure the big fella won't be bothered about it ,and nice to see him celebrate the way he did .

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Showed how very little he knows about football and I was embarrassed for him when he and Willie Miller were almost squealing describing Dom - needs to be pointed out that Dom has scored v 3 SPL sides (Ross County (tow great headers), Dundee Utd (sweet left foot strike) and Aberdeen (solo goal, cool finish)......as well as scoring in a derby and providing assists v The Rangers..................scored great individual goals v Livi and Falkirk, and 30 yard strikes v Dumbarton..........

Richard Gordon made him out to be Felipe Sebo..........utterly clueless. Rory Fallon, Laurent D'Jaffo, Tommy Wright...........there you go Richard, there's a list of absolute numpty strikers :agree::aok:

Ronniekirk
24-09-2015, 05:54 PM
For God's sake people,the man is knowledgeable about football and loves all the banter.He slags off hibs a damn sight less than the likes of blackpoolhibs.
I for one enjoy the exitable contradictions that the whole of football throws up.
Expect a reply from Blackpool Hibs when he sees this :wink:

Mr White
24-09-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't think anyone expects him to be a hibs fan. A bit of impartial professionalism wouldn't do any harm from a man being paid by the publicly funded national broadcaster.

greenlex
24-09-2015, 06:00 PM
I kicked him up the arse at Hamilton a few years back. Just thought I would throw that in there.👍

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2015, 06:04 PM

:lips seal

Mr White
24-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I kicked him up the arse at Hamilton a few years back. Just thought I would throw that in there.👍

In a father ted/ bishop brennan way or did he realise? :greengrin

FranckSuzy
24-09-2015, 06:09 PM
I kicked him up the arse at Hamilton a few years back. Just thought I would throw that in there.

:faf:

Pete
24-09-2015, 06:11 PM
He's got a job to do as an anchor and part of that is filling in gaps with interesting /topical things so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Still far too many with pink connections on the channel though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-09-2015, 06:22 PM
I don't mind him actually. Good to see pundits that can see by the old filth and are really just footie fans who get paid for talking about it.

inglisavhibs
24-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I like Richard Gordon but his comments regarding Dom were disrespectful and ill informed. Dom has had some superb games for Hibs and has a good goal scoring record as well. If it was one of the ex old firm so called experts I would have just laughed but expect better from a good reporter.

Jonnyboy
24-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Not sure why RG seems to enjoy knocking Hibs. As a student in Edinburgh he chose ER over the Wongadome for his football fix and waxed lyrical about HFC when I spoke to him once

Baader
24-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Good broadcaster so disappointed to read some of his smart Alec jibes toward Hibs.

Will save my scorn for the proper ar$&h@*£s like Preston, Walker, Dodds and Chic though.

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Not sure why RG seems to enjoy knocking Hibs. As a student in Edinburgh he chose ER over the Wongadome for his football fix and waxed lyrical about HFC when I spoke to him once

I think it's no coincidence that Hearts haven't knocked Aberdeen out of any cups in recent years.........Hibs have.......RG is very sly (that's how I find him)........a classic radio panderer JB.

In fact......looking back, Leighton's penalty heroics, Benji's double, Leigh's sucker punch, Deegan's piledriver......and last night........

Nae wonder really :greengrin:thumbsup::na na:

jabis
24-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Expect a reply from Blackpool Hibs when he sees this :wink:

👜

jabis
24-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I don't think anyone expects him to be a hibs fan. A bit of impartial professionalism wouldn't do any harm from a man being paid by the publicly funded national broadcaster.

He rips the Pete out of all the teams,is immense in his praise when we do well.
"Hearts are making my eyes bleed" is a cracker😁

jabis
24-09-2015, 08:23 PM
:lips seal

😁looking back I enjoyed that rant

Sir David Gray
24-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Apparently that twat Liam McLeod is an Aberdeen fan (when he's not waxing lyrical about Hearts that is) so I'll save my GIRUY messages for him.

Nae luck Liam. :bye:

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Apparently that twat Liam McLeod is an Aberdeen fan (when he's not waxing lyrical about Hearts that is) so I'll save my GIRUY messages for him.

Nae luck Liam. :bye:

I play football with a Beeb commentator (really good guy, best on the radio for me) and I have it on good authority that he knew it riled us and it was almost a bet to see how many times he could mention it

Kato
24-09-2015, 08:44 PM
He rips the Pete out of all the teams,is immense in his praise when we do well.
"Hearts are making my eyes bleed" is a cracker

The "eye bleeding" is a cracker but is offset by the weekly sycophancy towards the gunts we have these days. I wouldn't say he's immense in praising us at all. I stopped being a regular listener ages ago but when I do tune in there always seems to be an air of disbelief/worried tone when Hibs score - the other end of that scale is "things are looking up" tone when Hibs lose a goal, that's when he's not joining in the laughter with his jamtard cronies.

The O'Connor "dive" incident, as someone mentioned above, was something he was going on about for months afterwards, although I've yet to hear him bring up the strange amount of retrospective red cards Hearts players get against us for example or hear him go on about a Peter Pawlett dive months later (plenty to choose from).

Maybe he's a simpleton who is easily influenced by those around him but I've certainly no time for him and, as someone else said, would have banned him after the "karma is a bitch" comments and unbridled glee when Hibs were relegated.

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 08:45 PM
I play football with a Beeb commentator (really good guy, best on the radio for me) and I have it on good authority that he knew it riled us and it was almost a bet to see how many times he could mention it

....the final I mean

monktonharp
24-09-2015, 08:47 PM

So why did he care?

Reasonable and balanced, my erse :rolleyes: I knew there was something deep doon ,that I didnae like aboot him. hope his ginger beard fa's off.

Sir David Gray
24-09-2015, 08:47 PM

Confirms my thoughts about him.

Fud.

Bostonhibby
24-09-2015, 08:55 PM
See above re which face you are talking to.

Bostonhibby
24-09-2015, 08:58 PM
He's got a job to do as an anchor and part of that is filling in gaps with interesting /topical things so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Still far too many with pink connections on the channel though.
Anchor? Is this an example of Edinburgh rhyming slang? If so I agree he is an anchor

He disnae really seem to fill the gaps having sly digs at the yam and the sheep though.

monktonharp
24-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Got absolutely no time for the 'BBC' roasters crew. I would of had them all banned from ER a long long time ago.

Stopped listening to them ages ago. Gordon, Miller and in particular Preston can go F themselves.gonnae stoap saying "would of" or "should of" ? it actually should read " cant have, should have ,wont have ,etc etc. only a wee point, but it annoys the tits "aff" me. awrite?:wink: btw, spot oan wi the bbc comments big man.:greengrin

truehibernian
Confirms my thoughts about him.

Fud.

The irony being Trig he is a Jambo, and the loveliest guy you could meet - I have never ever heard him say a bad word about Hibs, ever.

McLeod on the other hand is without doubt a bedwetter of a commentator.......sadly the route media is going down.......Alexander, Begg, Montford, Francey.......that is the era I listened to and you felt the love of the game through their tones. There is no style and zero substance with McLeod.....

Cannot stand Liam McLeod :aok:

Shrekko

Well does that not just confirm that in actual fact he doesn't go out his way to knock Hibs and it's pure paranoia? He has gentle digs at teams all the time including his own- why are folk so overly sensitive? It's already been pointed out that he's had many jibes at Hearts. The guy is the epitome of harmlessness - how can anyone get upset at this type of banter?

I think he's said on a few occasions that he has a soft spot for Hibs and for fans to bracket him with Preston and guys like that is embarrassing.

Beefster
24-09-2015, 09:01 PM

Aye but if we pretend that he's a **** with a grudge against Hibs then we can have a right grump about yet another thing that really doesn't make any sense.

PatHead
24-09-2015, 09:01 PM
The irony being Trig he is a Jambo, and the loveliest guy you could meet - I have never ever heard him say a bad word about Hibs, ever.

McLeod on the other hand is without doubt a bedwetter of a commentator.......sadly the route media is going down.......Alexander, Begg, Montford, Francey.......that is the era I listened to and you felt the love of the game through their tones. There is no style and zero substance with McLeod.....

He is just a big jobby

monktonharp
24-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Anchor? Is this an example of Edinburgh rhyming slang? If so I agree he is an anchor

He disnae really seem to fill the gaps having sly digs at the yam and the sheep though.he has, for all the time I've listened tae him, always taken the opportunity at a sly, yet heard throughout Scotland dig at our club and never misses a chance. ! f/ck um

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2015, 09:07 PM
looking back I enjoyed that rant

Women normally do like a rant. :wink:

Bostonhibby
24-09-2015, 09:09 PM
he has, for all the time I've listened tae him, always taken the opportunity at a sly, yet heard throughout Scotland dig at our club and never misses a chance. ! f/ck um
The karma thing done it for me. Took it to another more personal view level that's inconsistent with his role, anchor or commentator. It really is bizarre how many yam sheep and hun types the BBC seem to wheel out in Scotland. You might say it's Masonic😱

Kato
24-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Well does that not just confirm that in actual fact he doesn't go out his way to knock Hibs and it's pure paranoia? He has gentle digs at teams all the time including his own- why are folk so overly sensitive? It's already been pointed out that he's had many jibes at Hearts. The guy is the epitome of harmlessness - how can anyone get upset at this type of banter?

I think he's said on a few occasions that he has a soft spot for Hibs and for fans to bracket him with Preston and guys like that is embarrassing.

Because he said something to JB in the past?

Does that not just confirm in actual fact he's two-faced and will smarm his way around anyone?

No paranoia here. If Hibs have played badly I can take any negative comments and dissections as to why fully on the chin. That's not what I have heard on BBC Sportsound in recent years.

woodythehibee
24-09-2015, 09:16 PM

I always wondered why Paul Mitchell got punted for Liam McLeod. Mitchell is far superior.

Hibby Bairn
24-09-2015, 09:19 PM
And Rob McLean is unlistenable to on the radio as a commentator. Irritating habit of lengthening words to fill gaps and waffling scripted nonsense when the game is underway.

Prefer John Barnes but he seems to have been demoted.

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I always wondered why Paul Mitchell got punted for Liam McLeod. Mitchell is far superior.

Absolute travesty........mind Liam has never been in a Nike advert shown around the world :greengrin

PM also been on MotD............listen to Paul's commentary in the 5-1 League Cup final (Killie).........I still think it's an immense commentary.

jabis
24-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Women normally do like a rant. :wink:

Touche🃏

AndyM_1875
24-09-2015, 09:35 PM
The karma thing done it for me. Took it to another more personal view level that's inconsistent with his role, anchor or commentator. It really is bizarre how many yam sheep and hun types the BBC seem to wheel out in Scotland. You might say it's Masonic

The Karma thing was inexcusable but in reality there are very few Hun types left at Pacific Quay.
Mostly Tims & Sheep. Rob Maclean is a Ross County supporter, Liam mcLeod is a sheep, Chris McLaughlin is a soapdodger, and Jim Spence is now ex BBC sadly.

For the Hibs angle we can look to Craig Paterson but he is actually very professional and a good analyst who doesn't let his support of Hibs spill over unlike the frankly dreadful Biscuits Preston.

Bostonhibby
24-09-2015, 09:43 PM
The Karma thing was inexcusable but in reality there are very few Hun types left at Pacific Quay.
Mostly Tims & Sheep. Rob Maclean is a Ross County supporter, Liam mcLeod is a sheep, Chris McLaughlin is a soapdodger, and Jim Spence is now ex BBC sadly.

For the Hibs angle we can look to Craig Paterson but he is actually very professional and a good analyst who doesn't let his support of Hibs spill over unlike the frankly dreadful Biscuits Preston.

:aok:Changed days then, hadn't appreciated re the huns, suppose it makes sense, if the now defunct Glasgow rangers ain't about whats the point in having a load of erseholes spouting favourable noises about them.

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 09:48 PM

Absolute fantasy (created by himself)......he's a Dons fan :agree:

monktonharp
24-09-2015, 09:49 PM
The karma thing done it for me. Took it to another more personal view level that's inconsistent with his role, anchor or commentator. It really is bizarre how many yam sheep and hun types the BBC seem to wheel out in Scotland. You might say it's MasonicI do.

SquashedFrogg
24-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Did we win last night? Could've swore we did.

Why are people paranoid and fretting about who does or doesn't' like us?

Weird...

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 09:55 PM
I do.

You could also argue ex Hibs players not being pundits shows very good taste on their part (ex Hibees) :greengrin

As an aside.........I have to say I thought Derek McInnes was a gentleman and sport in his after match interview - was at pains to compliment us, even when the interviewer started talking about injuries and their weekend game..........thought he was superb actually :aok:

truehibernian
24-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Did we win last night? Could've swore we did.

Why are people paranoid and fretting about who does or doesn't' like us?

Weird...

Not paranoid......Richard Gordon and Willie Miller were childish and unprofessional is their summing up of the game.........not for the first time.

Willie Miller shouldn't be allowed near Hibs games anyway......cowardly wee thug in his day.

Shrekko
24-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Because he said something to JB in the past?

Does that not just confirm in actual fact he's two-faced and will smarm his way around anyone?

No paranoia here. If Hibs have played badly I can take any negative comments and dissections as to why fully on the chin. That's not what I have heard on BBC Sportsound in recent years.

It's been said already but looking at Hibs.net over the past 6/7 years leads me to believe that anything Gordon has said will be relatively tame in comparison to many thousands of comments from supposed Hibees.

I just don't get why it matters so much- BBC Scotland is mainly awful but if I'm finding it hard to listen to I just switch it off. What does it actually matter what these people say/think?

Whether his comments to JB confirm he is two faced I don't know- guess it depends on whether you think he's said anything about Hibs worth getting your knickers in a twist about in the first place or whether he was indeed lying to JB. I couldn't give a toss and just find the endless 'everyone hates us' comments on here tiresome. You probably find the same stuff on every forum of every club, which tells its own story.

Carheenlea
24-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Sportsound for me is something to kill time to whilst driving to and from Hibs games. Not something to really get too worked up over.

Thecat23
24-09-2015, 10:07 PM
The whole sportsound team and their love in with hearts is cringeworthy and for that reason, he's a knob!

Kato
24-09-2015, 10:21 PM
It's been said already but looking at Hibs.net over the past 6/7 years leads me to believe that anything Gordon has said will be relatively tame in comparison to many thousands of comments from supposed Hibees.

Don't see your point. Hibs.net isn't a National Broadcaster professing impartiality.

I just don't get why it matters so much- BBC Scotland is mainly awful but if I'm finding it hard to listen to I just switch it off. What does it actually matter what these people say/think?

Nobody asked that it should matter to you. You turn BBC Scotland off, you could always ignore threads like these and avoid tangling your underwear.

Whether his comments to JB confirm he is two faced I don't know- guess it depends on whether you think he's said anything about Hibs worth getting your knickers in a twist about in the first place or whether he was indeed lying to JB. I couldn't give a toss and just find the endless 'everyone hates us' comments on here tiresome. You probably find the same stuff on every forum of every club, which tells its own story.

I can't see where anyone has said "everyone hates us". Posters are being pretty specific and giving individual examples.

Jim44
24-09-2015, 10:52 PM

Don't see your point. Hibs.net isn't a National Broadcaster professing impartiality.

Nobody asked that it should matter to you. You turn BBC Scotland off, you could always ignore threads like these and avoid tangling your underwear.

I can't see where anyone has said "everyone hates us". Posters are being pretty specific and giving individual examples.

I don't think you'll find many forums moaning that 'everybody hates us'. Sevco is certainly one but that's fine because it's true and well deserved. There is certainly a strong and justified feeling on our forum that the media and pundits enjoy, more than with any other team in Scotland, a bit of banter and p*ss taking at Hibs' expense. Dare I say it's almost understandable because we have earned the reputation of favourite 'whipping boys', as a reasonably successful and big club which has struggled to maintain it's reputation over a fairly sustained period of time. It's a kind of 'the bigger they are, the more enjoyable their demise'. You might say that Sevco and the Jambos have suffered a fall from grace like us, but the significant thing is that their problems were grounded in theft, dishonesty, cheating and imorality, which, astonishingly is more acceptable and forgivable than just being a duff football team.

FranckSuzy
24-09-2015, 11:04 PM
I don't think you'll find many forums moaning that 'everybody hates us'. Sevco is certainly one but that's fine because it's true and well deserved. There is certainly a strong and justified feeling on our forum that the media and pundits enjoy, more than with any other team in Scotland, a bit of banter and p*ss taking at Hibs' expense. Dare I say it's almost understandable because we have earned the reputation of favourite 'whipping boys', as a reasonably successful and big club which has struggled to maintain it's reputation over a fairly sustained period of time. It's a kind of 'the bigger they are, the more enjoyable their demise'. You might say that Sevco and the Jambos have suffered a fall from grace like us, but the significant thing is that their problems were grounded in theft, dishonesty, cheating and imorality, which, astonishingly is more acceptable and forgivable than just being a duff football team.

Well said, especially the part in bold :aok:

monktonharp
24-09-2015, 11:29 PM
You could also argue ex Hibs players not being pundits shows very good taste on their part (ex Hibees) :greengrin

As an aside.........I have to say I thought Derek McInnes was a gentleman and sport in his after match interview - was at pains to compliment us, even when the interviewer started talking about injuries and their weekend game..........thought he was superb actually :aok::agree:I did expect him to act in that manner. I wanted him as our manager at one time. something about him excudes respect.

mjhibby
24-09-2015, 11:30 PM

Stopped listening to them ages ago. Gordon, Miller and in particular Preston can go F themselves.

Its like listening to bias fans in the pub. Its meant to be scotlands top radio station and listening to willie miller saying we were pior against morton and not even bothering to realise we had improved immensely from that game shows how ill informed he and richard gordon are. Had they bothered to have checked how we were doing then the wperformance wouldnt have been a surprise to them. Havent listened to sportsound for yonks and only check it out on iplayer after games like that one. Poor poor show that the likes of bill leckie would improve.

mjhibby
24-09-2015, 11:33 PM
:agree:I did expect him to act in that manner. I wanted him as our manager at one time. something about him excudes respect.
Unlike richard gordon he came across as a decent guy. Very fair commens about the game.

DTS
24-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I don't have a problem with any of the "pundits" on sportsound or Richard Gordon, mainly because they only say things about the club that most of us have said in less radio friendly language. The fact that it's well known who each of them support for me isn't a bad thing as it almost gives an extra depth to the information they can provide as they'll have links of some sort to the club whether it just be about injuries or something like that. As for us getting a lot of stick I think it's to be expected when such a big club in this country has fallen as much as we have in the last few years and are now starting to rebuild our reputation

ekhibee
25-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Excellent post, and entirely true.

hibsbollah
25-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Aye but if we pretend that he's a **** with a grudge against Hibs then we can have a right grump about yet another thing that really doesn't make any sense.

it sounds like you've resorted to petty sarcasm to mock people on here purely because they have a different opinion to you.

whats the point?:confused:

Aldo
25-09-2015, 05:59 AM
gonnae stoap saying "would of" or "should of" ? it actually should read " cant have, should have ,wont have ,etc etc. only a wee point, but it annoys the tits "aff" me. awrite?:wink: btw, spot oan wi the bbc comments big man.:greengrin

England grammar - not a strong point. If knew I would of or maybe even should of read it first!

:-)

Beefster
25-09-2015, 06:01 AM
it sounds like you've resorted to petty sarcasm to mock people on here purely because they have a different opinion to you.

whats the point?:confused:

I thought my point was pretty clear and I wasn't being particularly sarcastic either (I thought my post was pretty mild). Folk manufacture **** to rage about on here.

hibsbollah
25-09-2015, 06:11 AM
I thought my point was pretty clear and I wasn't being particularly sarcastic either (I thought my post was pretty mild). Folk manufacture **** to rage about on here.

...or maybe they're not manufacturing anything, and just don't like Richard Gordon? :paranoid:

woodythehibee
25-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Absolute travesty........mind Liam has never been in a Nike advert shown around the world :greengrin

PM also been on MotD............listen to Paul's commentary in the 5-1 League Cup final (Killie).........I still think it's an immense commentary.
Agree, he is the best on the BBC. Hope someone there sees sense and puts him back in for the live matches.

Craig_HFC
25-09-2015, 06:17 AM
He may well be one of the 'better presenters' on BBC Scotland but that still doesn't make him a good one.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

AndyM_1875
25-09-2015, 06:24 AM
:aok:Changed days then, hadn't appreciated re the huns, suppose it makes sense, if the now defunct Glasgow rangers ain't about whats the point in having a load of erseholes spouting favourable noises about them.

Heh! There's actually more to it than that. In the last decade and a half there was a real shift in perception towards Rangers or whatever they're called this week. In modern Scottish society the behaviour & culture of that club's followers just does not fit.
The BBC reflects that.

The one pundit I'd say that should be a Rangers man is Derek Ferguson. He played for them but guess what? He's not. Living in Hamilton He takes his kids to see the Accies.

heretoday
25-09-2015, 07:35 AM
I have always disliked Richard Gordon ever since the days when Scotland were in turmoil and getting consistently poor results under a succession of bad coaches. He, and others, could scarcely contain their glee as they ripped into the team before during and especially after the matches.

I don't mind him being a Don and wanting them to do well. I hope they win the SPL myself. But taking pleasure in slagging off your country goes too far.

GreenOnions
25-09-2015, 08:49 AM
I do like Richard Gordon and think he usually tries to spread coverage as broadly as possible in Scottish football.

I have to say though I was taken aback by the way he commented on Malonga on Wednesday. I would actually love our football broadcaster on tv and radio to be more critical and analytical than they are. However, Gordon's comments were unexpected in the sense that they were an expression of personal disdain rather than anything objective. He even admitted he hadn't seen much of Dom.

I think the alarming thing for me is the fact that I don't think I've ever heard him remark in such a scornful way about any other player at any time. I don't know if it was related to any feelings about Hibs but the manner in which the comment was made and the words he used were casually disrespectful to a football professional.

Steve20
25-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Used to listen to Sportsound a lot about 12-15 years ago and Richard Gordon seemed to have a soft spot for Hibs back then. When I tuned in a couple of years back after not listening to it for a long time, he seems to have developed a real dislike for us.

Maybe it's due to the Hearts influence on there. It's an absolute Hearts love-in nowadays.

patlowe
25-09-2015, 11:03 AM
His comments re Malonga were bizarre and pretty spiteful. He actually sort of half apologised before continuing to slate the guy and suggest that he only ever looks like he should be hooked. He's either ignorant or clueless to argue that Malonga has never shown anything to suggest he could do what he did on Wednesday night. Bear in mind Gordon would have been present for most matches v Rangers and Hearts last season, the 4-0 or the 1-1 ( in which Malonga scored) for example. His ability to do something special has never been in question and it irks me that a presenter would suggest his goal was some sort of outlandish fluke rather than recognise his undoubted quality.

Libby Hibby
25-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I find it bizarre that on the back of probably our best win in 3 or 4 years we have a 100 odd reply count about Richard blooming Gordon and only a 15 reply count on the Leeann Dempster email thread.

Some people have well got their priorities all wrong.

green day
25-09-2015, 11:47 AM
I find it bizarre that on the back of probably our best win in 3 or 4 years we have a 100 odd reply count about Richard blooming Gordon and only a 15 reply count on the Leeann Dempster email thread.

I dont have my priorities wrong, I agree with the sentiment on the Dempster email thread so no need to reply just to say "yes I agree with all of that".

On this thread, there are some saying Gordon is ok, whereas I think he (and most of his BBC team) is a hearts loving radge - so I posted that.

My issue is that he doesnt give Hibs any credit and even when we win (against his team) he still slags off Malonga who has jsut scored a brilliant goal.

In my opinion, any other team did what we did on wednesday night (especially Hearts) and the Sportsound studio would have been covered in manjuice.

As it was we got a teeny weeny bit of credit but it was entirely diluted by him having a go at Malonga.

The man is a dick.

bigwheel
25-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Over the last 7 or so years by and large we have given the media and any opposing fans some of the best material ever to give us stick . We really have been the creators of the tone that is used about the club we love .

I'm half expecting "too Hibs it" to be in the next version of the Oxford dictionary...

That said , it will make it all the sweeter when this team and our club prove them all wrong by coming back stronger than ever ...

And I , one can wait to tweet Gordon (and others ). "Yes, Karma is a bitch ! "

Kato
25-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Sorry but you don't get to decide what my priorities are.

patlowe
25-09-2015, 12:22 PM
I dont have my priorities wrong, I agree with the sentiment on the Dempster email thread so no need to reply just to say "yes I agree with all of that".

On this thread, there are some saying Gordon is ok, whereas I think he (and most of his BBC team) is a hearts loving radge - so I posted that.

My issue is that he doesnt give Hibs any credit and even when we win (against his team) he still slags off Malonga who has jsut scored a brilliant goal.

In my opinion, any other team did what we did on wednesday night (especially Hearts) and the Sportsound studio would have been covered in manjuice.

As it was we got a teeny weeny bit of credit but it was entirely diluted by him having a go at Malonga.

The man is a dick.

For commentators to suggest that we might actually be decent would potentially undermine the media's accepted truism that Rangers are by far and away the best team in the Championship and the league is already wrapped up. Having said that, do we need/want the media's endorsement right now? It would be nice to tick along quite nicely under the radar before the hype ramps up for the next match v Rangers.

AndyM_1875
25-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Used to listen to Sportsound a lot about 12-15 years ago and Richard Gordon seemed to have a soft spot for Hibs back then. When I tuned in a couple of years back after not listening to it for a long time, he seems to have developed a real dislike for us.

Maybe it's due to the Hearts influence on there. It's an absolute Hearts love-in nowadays.

That's one thing that sticks for me. The love in is nauseating and I'd like to know why Hearts are treated differently from Rangers? But both Hearts and Rangers went belly up financially and shafted a large number of creditors. Both deserve to be slated.

Meanwhile Hibernian pays its bills and is sneered at by Mr Gordon and some of his colleagues whilst Hearts are their new best pals.

Geo_1875
25-09-2015, 12:53 PM
That's one thing that sticks for me. The love in is nauseating and I'd like to know why Hearts are treated differently from Rangers? But both Hearts and Rangers went belly up financially and shafted a large number of creditors. Both deserve to be slated.

Meanwhile Hibernian pays its bills and is sneered at by Mr Gordon and some of his colleagues whilst Hearts are their new best pals.

Gordon and the rest of the BBC jambos insist that it was big bad Vlad who screwed the charities, suppliers and the fans and that Mrs Budge and FoH have created a brand new squeaky clean club by taking them out of administration. They don't admit though that Vlad "bought" them a couple of Cup wins and decent league positions with this fraud. Those were "won" by the club as a separate entity. They just can't admit that they bought into the whole lie.

Bostonhibby
25-09-2015, 12:53 PM

The man is a dick.
[emoji106] count me in. I can have more than one view and one mood about different subjects simultaneously as well.

--------
25-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Aye, but those were the days when men were men, sports-jackets were woven out of barbed wire, and silly wee boys like Liam McLeod were smacked hard on the back of the heid if they even looked like opening their mouths on the subject of the beautiful game.

Montford was my favourite - remember this one?

"Disaster! Absolute disaster for Scotland!"

"It's there! Jordan scores! Magnificent Scotland!"

"Come on now Denis! Come on Denis!"

"That's it! That IS IT!"

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyQUI79WSW4

Oh, and BTW - THAT was the REAL Hampden Roar. When that crowd was up, no one in the stadium could hear himself think.

JimBHibees
25-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Aye, but those were the days when men were men, sports-jackets were woven out of barbed wire, and silly wee boys like Liam McLeod were smacked hard on the back of the heid if they even looked like opening their mouths on the subject of the beautiful game.

Montford was my favourite - remember this one?

"Disaster! Absolute disaster for Scotland!"

"It's there! Jordan scores! Magnificent Scotland!"

"Come on now Denis! Come on Denis!"

"That's it! That IS IT!"

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyQUI79WSW4

Oh, and BTW - THAT was the REAL Hampden Roar. When that crowd was up, no one in the stadium could hear himself think.

Arthur was a legend. "Watch your legs Billy". :greengrin

--------
25-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Arthur was a legend. "Watch your legs Billy". :greengrin

His favourite football memory -

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/279234-football-memories-arthur-montford-on-george-best/

TWO legends of the game - nobody like them nowadays.

The Green Goblin
25-09-2015, 02:51 PM
I used to really like Richard Gordon and I never minded at all that he was a sheep fan. He was usually a respected anchor and voice of reason in a sea of roasters, but I agree with Steve20: something changed and it was around the time that the yams looked like imploding. Barely a word was said about the absolutely unforgiveable things they had done to pay for that team on Radio Scotland - they were so caught up in the yams breathtaking "we are the victims in this" pr campaign and his "karma" comment was badly misguided. The only person who was the exception to this was Cosgrove, who tore into the yam fans at the start of an episode of OTB and called the club what they were: cheats and charity thieves. But Gordon just lost his way, I think, probably from spending too much time around a bunch of radio pundits who just seemed to get worse and worse in their standards over the last few years. I used to listen to every single Sportsound podcast every day and now it's worthless. Just rubbish.

CallumLaidlaw
25-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Sportsound for me is something to kill time to whilst driving to and from Hibs games. Not something to really get too worked up over.

Which is why I bought a bluetooth FM transmitter and listen to podcasts like Monday Night Fitba, The Terrace Podcast and The Burst Baw podcast. Much more enjoyable.

Real Emerald
25-09-2015, 03:07 PM
His comments re Malonga were bizarre and pretty spiteful. He actually sort of half apologised before continuing to slate the guy and suggest that he only ever looks like he should be hooked. He's either ignorant or clueless to argue that Malonga has never shown anything to suggest he could do what he did on Wednesday night. Bear in mind Gordon would have been present for most matches v Rangers and Hearts last season, the 4-0 or the 1-1 ( in which Malonga scored) for example. His ability to do something special has never been in question and it irks me that a presenter would suggest his goal was some sort of outlandish fluke rather than recognise his undoubted quality.
Correct, Willie Miller was giving a bit of credit to Malonga and stopped to query why Gordon was laughing. Dick Gordon then went on to say Malonga usually has difficulty connecting with ball whilst still laughing away as if it had been Leith Lynx with his big foam fitba bits that had scored for us. Totally unprofessional and endorsed his utter dislike of Hibs. He should be pulled up about it, prime prick that he is.

EVENTUALLY
25-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Correct, Willie Miller was giving a bit of credit to Malonga and stopped to query why Gordon was laughing. Dick Gordon then went on to say Malonga usually has difficulty connecting with ball whilst still laughing away as if it had been Leith Lynx with his big foam fitba bits that had scored for us. Totally unprofessional and endorsed his utter dislike of Hibs. He should be pulled up about it, prime prick that he is.

He let his guard slip bigtime a few seasons ago when anchoring Open all Mics when Hibs played Cowdenbeath at Central Park in the Scottish Cup. Cowden scored inside the first 30 seconds and before the on the spot radio reporter could announce the goal Gordon who was watching a live TV feed burst into laughter (Huge Guffaw) and then continued to giggle as he announced Hibs were a goal down. Gave Cowden no credit and made much of Hibs pathetic predicament. Hibs won 5 - 2 in the end. Gordon is biased, no doubt about it.

Jonnyboy
25-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Having read some of the points following my previous post I feel I should point out that my conversation with RG took place in the press room at ER, a good 7 or 8 years ago. He was very approachable, spoke well of Hibs, telling me he watched them regularly as a student in Edinburgh. He was very sincere and if he was lying, he made a bloody good job of it!

As for Liam McLeod. Useless as a commentator and you have to wonder how he got the job ahead of Paul Mitchell who is infinitely better.

When Hibs gubbed Hearts 6-2 I was in the broadcasters box at the back of the old main stand. Paul was in there doing his commentary and although he must have been hurting inside, he was the consumate professional in describing events on the park.

As an aside, I just loved Cliff Pike's commentary for those magnificent goals against the Dons :greengrin Now that is the kind of bias I find totally acceptable :wink:

KWJ
25-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Having read some of the points following my previous post I feel I should point out that my conversation with RG took place in the press room at ER, a good 7 or 8 years ago. He was very approachable, spoke well of Hibs, telling me he watched them regularly as a student in Edinburgh. He was very sincere and if he was lying, he made a bloody good job of it!

As for Liam McLeod. Useless as a commentator and you have to wonder how he got the job ahead of Paul Mitchell who is infinitely better.

When Hibs gubbed Hearts 6-2 I was in the broadcasters box at the back of the old main stand. Paul was in there doing his commentary and although he must have been hurting inside, he was the consumate professional in describing events on the park.

As an aside, I just loved Cliff Pike's commentary for those magnificent goals against the Dons :greengrin Now that is the kind of bias I find totally acceptable :wink:

With you there Sir. I'm a fan of Richard Gordon, can't imagine who they'd replace him with on Sportsound that would do the nearly as good a job.

Worked with Liam for a while, good guy and really put in the work to get where he is. That said, Paul Mitchell is a far better reporter and commentator.

rcarter1
25-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Peter Alliss, Bill McLaren, Richie Benaud, and no doubt others have graced the airwaves for their sport. No doubt there are some excellent football commentators that had the class to keep their own personal allegiances out of their commentating. It seems these days this level of gentlemanly and respectful behaviour is replaced by 'in crowds', 'wind up merchants' and 'career climbers'. The media in general stinks. Compared to other careers, the media has some of the highest levels of psychopathic personality traits, and is the perfect mirror image of todays fame centred culture. :grr:

Broken Gnome
25-09-2015, 06:57 PM
With you there Sir. I'm a fan of Richard Gordon, can't imagine who they'd replace him with on Sportsound that would do the nearly as good a job.

Worked with Liam for a while, good guy and really put in the work to get where he is. That said, Paul Mitchell is a far better reporter and commentator.

Is that not the problem with Liam McLeod? You can tell he's put the work in, he'd be ten times the commentator if he did a tenth of the prattling on that he does. He doesn't come off as natural at all. Not sure anyone at BBC Scotland does mind you. No one has the 'voice' for it.

snooky
25-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Peter Alliss, Bill McLaren, Richie Benaud, and no doubt others have graced the airwaves for their sport. No doubt there are some excellent football commentators that had the class to keep their own personal allegiances out of their commentating. It seems these days this level of gentlemanly and respectful behaviour is replaced by 'in crowds', 'wind up merchants' and 'career climbers'. The media in general stinks. Compared to other careers, the media has some of the highest levels of psychopathic personality traits, and is the perfect mirror image of todays fame centred culture. :grr:

Beautifully put :applause:

Real Emerald
25-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Whilst I agree with your comments about these commentators keeping their allegiances to themselves, I don't actually have a problem with it. If Richard Gordon wants Aberdeen to win when they're playing then that's fine with me, the banter of supporters is ok. The problem I have with him is the way he tries (and he definitely does) to dis Hibs at every opportunity. I also agree with other posters who said he was once of a different animal. I used to like him being an anchor man as i think he has a very warm and welcoming way when commenting and interviewing on both radio and TV. His dislike for Hibs seemed to come out of the blue and he now seems to take great delight at every opportunity to stick the boot in.

Wednesday night was over the top in my opinion as Hibs (a championship side) had just beaten a top of the Premiership Aberdeen with a 100% record 2 nil and scored two fantastic goals in the process. Instead of waxing lyrical over the performance and quality of the goals he dragged Malonga through the gutter as if he was some no hope footballer who had just done something he was totally incapable of doing. Malonga is full international striker who has scored a lot and some very good and skilful goals in Scotland. He should not be getting laughed at for what was a brilliant goal against the top Premiership side of the moment.

Maybe we should go back to the days of complete unbiased commentary like you say :dunno:

rcarter1
25-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Whilst I agree with your comments about these commentators keeping their allegiances to themselves, I don't actually have a problem with it. If Richard Gordon wants Aberdeen to win when they're playing then that's fine with me, the banter of supporters is ok. The problem I have with him is the way he tries (and he definitely does) to dis Hibs at every opportunity. I also agree with other posters who said he was once of a different animal. I used to like him being an anchor man as i think he has a very warm and welcoming way when commenting and interviewing on both radio and TV. His dislike for Hibs seemed to come out of the blue and he now seems to take great delight at every opportunity to stick the boot in.

Wednesday night was over the top in my opinion as Hibs (a championship side) had just beaten a top of the Premiership Aberdeen with a 100% record 2 nil and scored two fantastic goals in the process. Instead of waxing lyrical over the performance and quality of the goals he dragged Malonga through the gutter as if he was some no hope footballer who had just done something he was totally incapable of doing. Malonga is full international striker who has scored a lot and some very good and skilful goals in Scotland. He should not be getting laughed at for what was a brilliant goal against the top Premiership side of the moment.

Maybe we should go back to the days of complete unbiased commentary like you say :dunno:

I would love to know where this gripe with Hibs comes from? To be fair, the club dragged itself through the gutter for the last 5 or so years. When that happens it attracts scorn. Hibs were pretty much the media darling club when the golden generation were about (until they all moaned about being paid peanuts etc). Anyway, I think the guys I mentioned brought a spirit of civility through their love for their sport. Some fans may love to wind each other up, but setting that tone - particularly when its one sided - in a commentary position doesn't sit well with me.

Carheenlea
25-09-2015, 08:08 PM
I didn't hear the broadcast on Wednesday night, but listened to the podcast today. Really don`t see what the fuss is about to be honest. Richard Gordon did remark about how he had never seen Dominique produce anything like that before, but did make the point that Hibs fans will have seen far more of him and may not have been as surprised. A decent interview with Derek McInnes which was refreshing to hear.

Forward on to 30.00 for the post match round ups as they were broadcast. (first half hour is Barraclough sacking analysis) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033b584

Real Emerald
25-09-2015, 08:17 PM
I would love to know where this gripe with Hibs comes from? To be fair, the club dragged itself through the gutter for the last 5 or so years. When that happens it attracts scorn. Hibs were pretty much the media darling club when the golden generation were about (until they all moaned about being paid peanuts etc). Anyway, I think the guys I mentioned brought a spirit of civility through their love for their sport. Some fans may love to wind each other up, but setting that tone - particularly when its one sided - in a commentary position doesn't sit well with me.

If he'd said he was dissapointed Aberdeen had lost their fantastic 100% record but had commended Hibs with the win and Malonga for producing the skills he obviously has then there would be no problem with that perspective as he would have been reporting the facts and adding his dissapointment the Dons got beat This is where supporting a club as a pundit ends for me. If he can't do that then he should go back to biting his tounge.

He was also one of the commentators who kept up the myth long after it had all ended that Hibs were the darling team of Scotland and I also used to think he was giving us way too much credit. It did all change with him but as you say it all changed with Hibs too. We deserved everything we got regarding our results, performances etc. but ctritisism should be there when justified, Wednesday was for the other reaction, he should have been going overboard about Hibs and Malonga. Something must have happened to the guy to change so obviously over the years. No idea what though :confused:

Real Emerald
25-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I didn't hear the broadcast on Wednesday night, but listened to the podcast today. Really don`t see what the fuss is about to be honest. Richard Gordon did remark about how he had never seen Dominique produce anything like that before, but did make the point that Hibs fans will have seen far more of him and may not have been as surprised. A decent interview with Derek McInnes which was refreshing to hear.

Forward on to 30.00 for the post match round ups as they were broadcast. (first half hour is Barraclough sacking analysis) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033b584

In my opinion he'd realised what he'd just said and these remarks were digging himself back out off the hole. He was laughing that Malonga could have scored that goal plus the remarks about him needing subbed off after 20 minutes in every game, that's not what a commentator should be saying about a professional footballer, especially after the result and goal he scored to secure it. He also has form when it comes to us so we (I) tend to read between the lines of what he says about us.

I'll take that chip off my shoulder in a minute :wink:

mjhibby
25-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Which is why I bought a bluetooth FM transmitter and listen to podcasts like Monday Night Fitba, The Terrace Podcast and The Burst Baw podcast. Much more enjoyable.

It seems any decent local football show on the radio is better and more entertaining than sportsound. I think mind you the standard of commentators has dropped dramatically in recent years and as many have said already the likes of Liam McLeod are just poor poor commentators. The last decent one was Paul mitchell. Met him at a football quiz night and he admitted he found it hard to hide his hertz bias but he was usually very fair and did a cracking job in the 5-1 killie final. Even the standard of commentator on match of the day has dropped dramatically with them dissecting endless replays before slagging the ref who had a split second to make the decision. Oh for a stramash or Arthur commentating on another brilliant Andy Ritchie goal for his beloved Morton . Happy days indeed.

--------
25-09-2015, 09:50 PM

You've put the whole issue in a nutshell, RE.

If that game had been played in England with (let's say) Hull or Ipswich putting Manchester City out 2-0 with a couple of quality goals the commentators would have been praising the Championship side to the skies and talking about how Cup upsets are the games that make football special.

Like you, I don't mind a commentator/pundit in the studio having a liking for a particular side - Keown for Arsenal, Lineker for Leicester, Shearer for Newcastle, or depending on the Neville, Everton or Manchester United, for example. The English guys seem to be able to have their allegiances without being nasty about the other sides playing on the night.

Richard Gordon's capable of being a very good anchorman for BBC Scotland Sport but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Hibs and his treatment of Dom on Wednesday was out of order. As you say, Dom is an international striker who scored well last season, and he came on as sub and scored a cracking goal to seal the tie at ER on Wednesday. There was no reason to ridicule thim and if a professional broadcaster can't shelve his disappointment and do the job he's paid to do when the game goes against his side he shouldn't be in the job.

All that said, I wish this whole thing could be sorted out and RG get back to doing the excellent work he was doing when he first came to the screen.

Sammy7nil
26-09-2015, 09:20 AM
I used to really like Richard Gordon and I never minded at all that he was a sheep fan. He was usually a respected anchor and voice of reason in a sea of roasters, but I agree with Steve20: something changed and it was around the time that the yams looked like imploding. Barely a word was said about the absolutely unforgiveable things they had done to pay for that team on Radio Scotland - they were so caught up in the yams breathtaking "we are the victims in this" pr campaign and his "karma" comment was badly misguided. The only person who was the exception to this was Cosgrove, who tore into the yam fans at the start of an episode of OTB and called the club what they were: cheats and charity thieves. But Gordon just lost his way, I think, probably from spending too much time around a bunch of radio pundits who just seemed to get worse and worse in their standards over the last few years. I used to listen to every single Sportsound podcast every day and now it's worthless. Just rubbish.

:agree::agree::agree:

Smartie
26-09-2015, 09:53 AM
I like Richard Gordon.

Hibs were rank-rotten for a long time and have been entirely deserving of criticism so we really shouldn't get too precious when those who are paid to comment do so negatively. As has been pointed out, he has been positive enough about us in the past when we have been deserving of praise.

As for Malonga, well there can be know doubt that he blows hot and cold. Those of us who watch him every week can't make our minds up about whether he is a footballing genius or a complete diddy because from week to week he can be both. For those who only watch him occasionally I can only imagine their opinions will be even more polarised than ours depending on which Dominique they have witnessed. I could understand perfectly why someone who has only witnessed his "quieter" performances in the past would have been surprised at his contribution the other night.

I just hope that it reminds Dominique of what he is capable of doing every week and that he can now go on and do so.

lord bunberry
26-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I like Richard Gordon.

Hibs were rank-rotten for a long time and have been entirely deserving of criticism so we really shouldn't get too precious when those who are paid to comment do so negatively. As has been pointed out, he has been positive enough about us in the past when we have been deserving of praise.

As for Malonga, well there can be know doubt that he blows hot and cold. Those of us who watch him every week can't make our minds up about whether he is a footballing genius or a complete diddy because from week to week he can be both. For those who only watch him occasionally I can only imagine their opinions will be even more polarised than ours depending on which Dominique they have witnessed. I could understand perfectly why someone who has only witnessed his "quieter" performances in the past would have been surprised at his contribution the other night.

I just hope that it reminds Dominique of what he is capable of doing every week and that he can now go on and do so.
Criticism is one thing, but things like the karma's a bitch comment go further than that for me, that's taking pleasure in a teams demise. Like many others on here I used to think he was a really good anchorman, but his standards have dropped along with the pundits he has to work with.

hibsbollah
26-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Wow. I haven't agreed with anything on here so much in a long time:top marks

Kato
26-09-2015, 10:19 AM
I like Richard Gordon.

Hibs were rank-rotten for a long time and have been entirely deserving of criticism so we really shouldn't get too precious when those who are paid to comment do so negatively.

Nobody is complaining about anyone critiquing the football Hibs serve up. That's just natural.

Maybe take a read back and see what the actual complaints are.

Kato
26-09-2015, 10:29 AM

That is the perspective. Someone who did complain to BBC Weegie a few years back posted their reply up here - I think it was about Biscuitheid being given Hibs home games to commentate on week after week. The reply went along the lines of the editorial need to create discussion and "banter". I don't mind either but that has to be done with balance, something the old school commentators would have had at the forefront of their thoughts if they were operating today - a skill lacking with some at Sportsound. For what it's worth despite criticism of their style I think Chic Young and Derek Ferguson are capable of balanced reporting. I think Craig Paterson would actually be embarrassed if someone thought he wasn't being balanced.

Smartie
26-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Nobody is complaining about anyone critiquing the football Hibs serve up. That's just natural.

Maybe take a read back and see what the actual complaints are.

There are many complaints on this thread and I addressed a couple of them (as I see it).

Is the "karma's a bitch" comment that unreasonable? We go in March to gloat over our neighbour's relegation, 2 months later we're relegated.

Different presenters have different styles, some choose to be totally impartial and some choose to declare their allegiances. I have never been offended by Richard Gordon's obvious preference for his team and I don't think it gets in the way of him being objective.

lord bunberry
26-09-2015, 10:57 AM
There are many complaints on this thread and I addressed a couple of them (as I see it).

Is the "karma's a bitch" comment that unreasonable? We go in March to gloat over our neighbour's relegation, 2 months later we're relegated.

Different presenters have different styles, some choose to be totally impartial and some choose to declare their allegiances. I have never been offended by Richard Gordon's obvious preference for his team and I don't think it gets in the way of him being objective.
Did he say karma's a bitch when hearts went into administration after lording it over us for years?

Smartie
26-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Did he say karma's a bitch when hearts went into administration after lording it over us for years?

I don't think karma's even got close to catching up with Hearts yet.

I think we've got to accept that much of the rest of the footballing world (including the majority of the Scottish media) feel differently to us about Hearts and what they did.

FranckSuzy
26-09-2015, 11:06 AM

I get what you're saying but he's meant to be neutral and is there to commentate on football games, not on his personal opinion on a club's situation/demise.

To me, he is just trying to fit in with the majority on there i.e., Jambos :rolleyes:

lord bunberry
26-09-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't think karma's even got close to catching up with Hearts yet.

I think we've got to accept that much of the rest of the footballing world (including the majority of the Scottish media) feel differently to us about Hearts and what they did.
I fully accept that, but Gordon as a man who clearly knows the rivalries in Scottish football would be aware of why we were taking enjoyment from the hearts predicament. His comments brought him down on one side and that was wrong.

Kato
26-09-2015, 11:26 AM

While omitting things like the many occasions he's joined in with the over the top glee from the **** contingent on there, the laughing, the general flatness when Hibs go ahead in games. No need.

"We"? How many Hibs fans seriously joined in with that stunt? Nowhere near the majority that's for sure, many on here thought it was a daft idea and many more aren't on here or kept quiet. Shouldn't he recognise that there would be other HIbs to aim his comments at? That would be balanced as I see rather than looking at supports as homogenized groups.

Maybe your not as an astute listener as others. I never get offended by what he says, I reckon it's a good thing to know who is anti-Hibs, which he is.

BTW Some semblance of impartiality is a requirement from the BBC, not a choice.

Kato
26-09-2015, 11:28 AM
I fully accept that, but Gordon as a man who clearly knows the rivalries in Scottish football would be aware of why we were taking enjoyment from the hearts predicament. His comments brought him down on one side and that was wrong.

Exactly. EVERY support would take some sort of joy out of their rivals downfall. I remember on the day there was a discussion about how "tasteless" Hibs fans were being. Never heard that about any other derby.

ekhibee
26-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Exactly. EVERY support would take some sort of joy out of their rivals downfall. I remember on the day there was a discussion about how "tasteless" Hibs fans were being. Never heard that about any other derby.
Yep, totally agree with you. I do think that Smartie is right about one thing though: regardless of the corruption involved, the media love Hearts, no matter what they do.

givescotlandfreedom
17-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Where's Richard Gordon to tell us about how crap Malonga's latest goal is?

jabis
17-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Where's Richard Gordon to tell us about how crap Malonga's latest goal is?

He still not thanked you for the Valentine card you sent.

givescotlandfreedom
17-10-2015, 03:58 PM
He still not thanked you for the Valentine card you sent.

He doesn't even favourite my tweets :-'(

jabis
17-10-2015, 06:50 PM
He doesn't even favourite my tweets :-'(

Nice comeback :thumbs up: