PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Mentality

worcesterhibby
24-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Just watched the goals on Youtube for the 500th time and one thing that really impressed me was the mentality of McGinn when the ball breaks to him just before the 2nd goal. He has three options...

1) lump it forward as far as possible

For too long this would have been what was expected of a Hibs player in this situation, particularly under Butchers regime

2) Play the simple out ball to Boyle who was 10 yards to his left

The easy option, never mind trying to kill off the tie, let's just retain a bit of possesion

3) Dink a well weighted 30 yard pass up to Malonga so that he can run on to it and find himself in a one on one.

By far the hardest pass to complete successfully and the one that is the most positive. Too many Hibs teams in the recent past wouldn't have had the confidence or the skill to make that happen. This one is different.

CropleyWasGod
24-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Just watched the goals on Youtube for the 500th time and one thing that really impressed me was the mentality of McGinn when the ball breaks to him just before the 2nd goal. He has three options...

For too long this would have been what was expected of a Hibs player in this situation, particularly under Butchers regime

The easy option, never mind trying to kill off the tie, let's just retain a bit of possesion

3) Dink a well weighted 30 yard pass up to Malonga so that he can run on to it and find himself in a one on one.

By far the hardest pass to complete successfully and the one that is the most positive. Too many Hibs teams in the recent past wouldn't have had the confidence or the skill to make that happen. This on is different.

Let's not forget Malonga's mentality.

I was screaming at him to take it to the corner. :greengrin

matty_f
24-09-2015, 08:51 AM
McGinn was by far and away the best player on the park in the first half, imho.

I think he's a terrific player, and we've done a great bit of business in signing him up for four years.

Johnny_Leith
24-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Needs to work on his set piece delivery, few shockers last night and at Livi on Saturday.

wookie70
24-09-2015, 08:56 AM

I was screaming that too. Funny I thought McGinn was quiet in the first half and came into it more in the second. Stevenson and Hanlon best for me last night but the team, to a man, were all great last night. I agree with the OP that there does seem to have been a huge improvement in decision making. Defenders try to play it out but aren't afraid to lump it if needs be,

CropleyWasGod
24-09-2015, 09:06 AM

I think he's a terrific player, and we've done a great bit of business in signing him up for four years.

It's easy to forget that he's so young. I was getting p'd off at the guys behind me giving him pelters for his (admittedly) poor set pieces.

I love the way he holds himself. He has a low centre of gravity, which makes it very difficult for people to take the ball off him. His running style reminds me of some inside-forward from the 70's or 80's. Just canny mind who I'm talking about, though..... :greengrin

ACLeith
24-09-2015, 09:13 AM

By far the hardest pass to complete successfully and the one that is the most positive. Too many Hibs teams in the recent past wouldn't have had the confidence or the skill to make that happen. This one is different.

I couldn't remember how the ball got to Malonga but having watched it I thought exactly what you've said. A great signing.

worcesterhibby
24-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Needs to work on his set piece delivery, few shockers last night and at Livi on Saturday.

To be honest though, that makes his pass for Malonga all the more impressive. He still had the confidence to pull off the difficult, killer pass despite the fact that he had struggled a bit with dead ball deliveries. You can be sure that no one was more pissed off about his under par free kicks/corners than him, but he didn't let it put his head down and hide.

mim
24-09-2015, 09:18 AM
It's easy to forget that he's so young. I was getting p'd off at the guys behind me giving him pelters for his (admittedly) poor set pieces.

I love the way he holds himself. He has a low centre of gravity, which makes it very difficult for people to take the ball off him. His running style reminds me of some inside-forward from the 70's or 80's. Just canny mind who I'm talking about, though..... :greengrin

He uses his arse to great effect, when challenged. Reminds me of Dalglish

neil7908
24-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Totally agree with this, was really impressed by him, given his age I think we have a fantastic player on our hands. The 4 year deal was brilliant as if he keeps playing to the same level folk will be sniffing round him soon enough. Only criticism I have is that his set piece delivery was pretty poor

mjhibby
24-09-2015, 09:39 AM

I think he is the best young player seen at er since brown.deek etc. His running style deceives the opposition and he plays some delightful passes which only a player of his quality sees. I felt sorry for Bartley being on the subs bench but given that fyfie has still to come back our midfield is so strong. I can see McGinn being a top player which means no doubt clubs being after him but with the contract he has signed assures hibs of a large fee when that happens.

hibsmad
24-09-2015, 09:58 AM

The 4 year deal is crucial I think, and a good example of how we can progress as a club.

Dempster has already said that we were previously spreading our wage bill to thin and had far too big a squad. Quality not quantity is what was needed.

When we are signing players from within the UK, and we really believe that they are the real deal (this wouldn't go for all players but certainly was the case with McGinn), then we need to be getting them on 4 year deals. 3 years is no good. They have a good first season and then excel in their second. After that they have one season left and the ball is in their court with regards to moving on. Clubs offer less money and/or the player can let their deal run down. With a four-year deal, we can get two good seasons and then command a good fee from the highest bidder.

Unseen work
24-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I actually thought he was poor on the ball last night, alot of misplaced and slack passes and poor delivery.

But he is a grafter and can glide past opposition players with ease with that drop of the soldier he always does.

Quickly becoming one of my favourite players

oneone73
24-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I actually thought he was poor on the ball last night, alot of misplaced and slack passes and poor delivery.

But he is a grafter and can glide past opposition players with ease with that drop of the soldier he always does.

Quickly becoming one of my favourite players

Ah, the joys of predictive text! Love it

Tha Cabbage Kid
24-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Ah, the joys of predictive text! Love it

just as well you said that. i was beginning to think he will get done for terrorism

ALF TUPPER
24-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Dominique Marrandonga .... someone calling him on Twitter
Hahahaha

Yeah, I was screaming the same .

Admittedly, I've been pretty negative about him over recent weeks when chattin fitba to my mates. He answered my criticisms in a kinda ' get it right up you Tupper !'- sort of way.

So, I'm eating lots of humble pie today. He surprised a few folk with that piece of brilliance last night. Anyhoo, Sorry Dom. 😎 Well done son.

Anyone else want a slice ? 😉

NAE NOOKIE
24-09-2015, 11:28 AM
John McGinn does have a wee problem with over and under hitting his passes, but he never lets a mistake get to him and his overall contribution always well outweighs any mistakes he might make. He is fast becoming the type of player who will provoke an 'awe naw' if his name is missing from the team sheet for an important game.

Having watched him play a number of times now I still cant believe we weren't beaten to his signature by richer clubs in Scotland or down south .... It looks like Hibs have played a blinder here ..... well done Mr Stubbs and Ms Dempster :aok:

AlbertK86
24-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Yep his set plays were poor last night but every other game I've seen this season they've been terrific.Hit with pace and accuracy instead of a float to no mans land

JimBHibees
24-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Yep his set plays were poor last night but every other game I've seen this season they've been terrific.Hit with pace and accuracy instead of a float to no mans land

He had a couple of pretty poor set pieces on Saturday also however agree he usually is very good, the ones against Alloa were excellent.

TrinityHibs
24-09-2015, 12:31 PM
He had a couple of pretty poor set pieces on Saturday also however agree he usually is very good, the ones against Alloa were excellent.

His delivery against Alloa was outstanding. Bit of the pace with corners and free kicks last night but his enthusiasm and desire to get involved is a breath of fresh air. He will do very well for Hibs. I think he is our best signing out of a very good bunch.

Tom Hart RIP
24-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but he took up an excellent position unmarked to the tight of Henderson when we had a free kick in first half. Had the ball been slipped to him he could have scored or created a tap in.
Suppose Liam could be forgiven for taking a shot considering his goal v livi.
Can't see Fraser Fyvie getting back in the team unless injury or suspension. Excellent squad now

O'Rourke3
24-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I understand Scott Allan is now known as the old John McGinn

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Smartie
24-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Some of the dead ball deliveries have been infuriatingly crap.

But I think we should cut him a bit of slack - he could easily just waft a weak cross into the box and not get any grief. Instead he's trying to whip balls in with movement and power and it isn't going to work out for him every time.

We have enough of the ball, enough dominance and enough corners etc to do it this way. Maybe he'd be better to be safer if we only won one or two per game.

greenpaper55
24-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I must admit i was underwhelmed when we signed him but i thought he was tremendous last night, he was all over the park and he has a decent stature as well which he uses to his advantage.