PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone agree with Sir Alex????

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Only 4 world class players in his time at Man U.

Giggs, Scholes, Cantona & Ronaldo.

Personally I'd put Schmeichel & Beckham in there too.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34311859

Since90+2
22-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Van Nistlerooy? Rio Ferdinand at his peak aswell. Probably a few others but those two off the top of my head.

Baader
22-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Probably Schmeichel and Van Nistelrooy have a case to be made...

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 12:16 PM
It all depends on the definition of world class he's using.

Having said that I think Scholes is one of the most over-rated of all time.

easty
22-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Beckham was excellent, worked hard as ****, and could pick a pass as well as anyone.

Think players like Ferdinand, Stam, Schmeichel, Van Nistelrooy and Jordi Cruyff could feel hard done by as well, but Ferguson would know better than anyone who the real world class players were I suppose.

fulshie
22-09-2015, 12:20 PM
How do you measure world class? e,g. Pele, Maradona, Zidane and Messi have all been classed as world class and if this is the case then Giggs and Scholes in my opinion don't come close to these guys. Cantona was a great player but again I feel he falls short but, Ronaldo is up there. Sometimes I feel the statement "world class" is over used but, its all about opinions and that's the beauty of football. Maybe there is different levels of world class.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:24 PM
I would say there's only been around 6 or 7 world class players ever: Pele, Maradona, Brazilian Ronaldo, Zidane, Cruyff, Messi and perhaps Cristiano Ronaldo. Notable mentions for Van Basten and Jimmy Boco.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:26 PM

Depends on how you set your team up, that Manchester United team was built around possession of the football, and Paul Scholes was most definitely the best player in the world in his position in a team built to play that way.

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Depends on how you set your team up, that Manchester United team was built around possession of the football, and Paul Scholes was most definitely the best player in the world in his position in a team built to play that way.

He was better when he used to score goals.

Thecat23
22-09-2015, 12:29 PM
I would say there's only been around 6 or 7 world class players ever: Pele, Maradona, Brazilian Ronaldo, Zidane, Cruyff, Messi and perhaps Cristiano Ronaldo. Notable mentions for Van Basten and Jimmy Boco.

George Best in his prime was also world class.

easty
22-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Cristiano Ronaldo should be in the world class bracket. Nae doubt about it in my opinion.

I'm_cabbaged
22-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Eh? So can't even make up a world class 11?

Vault Boy
22-09-2015, 12:34 PM

I have never seen a better passer of the ball. Opinions are strange things, if anything I would have labelled Scholes as slightly underrated at times in his career. As you say, a complete master of his trade, better than Xavi and Pirlo in similar roles IMO. Whilst his tackling was sometimes... questionable, his ability to so consistently and effortlessly ping a ball straight on to a teammate's foot was unreal. My favourite English player of all time.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:35 PM
He was better when he used to score goals.

He scored 155 goals for Utd in 700 and odd games, 10th highest in the clubs history, that's a phenomenal contribution for a holding midfielder (fair enough he used to roam forward a lot in his younger days). His nickname is Sat Nav! His passing accuracy was unreal really when you look at the stats, and his ability to find space and time in a crowded midfield was almost comical at times, he was the certainly for me the best players on the planet in his position during his career.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I have never seen a better passer of the ball. Opinions are strange things, if anything I would have labelled Scholes as slightly underrated at times in his career. As you say, a complete master of his trade, better than Xavi and Pirlo in similar roles IMO. Whilst his tackling was sometimes... questionable, his ability to so consistently and effortlessly ping a ball straight on to a teammate's foot was unreal. My favourite English player of all time.

Agree with all of that, his value to the team was priceless, without Paul Scholes the Manchester United team of that era would've perhaps not been as successful. Yeah his tackling was abysmal at times but he was never scared to stick his foot in :greengrin

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Eh? So can't even make up a world class 11?

I could but in that 11 those top 6 or 7 players would still be considered "the best", so really, I can only come up with those who I think are the cream of the crop.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 12:41 PM
George Best in his prime was also world class.

How could I forget about Georgie?!! Asked the boy in my work who sits next to me and he said Beckenbauer, also a good shout.

Brightside
22-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Really? I;d say Scholes is best footballer the UK has ever produced. By a mile.

patlowe
22-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Schmeichel

Thuram
Cannavaro
Sammer
Maldini

C.Ronaldo
Iniesta
Zidane
Messi

Shearer
F.Ronaldo

Slightly attack-minded midfield but hey, they can handle it. Hard to leave Bergkamp, Xavi and Pirlo out...

Stevie Reid
22-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Given how long he was there for, what he did for Man Utd and his phenomenal achievements in football, I'll take Ferguson's word on this.

Since90+2
22-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo should be in the world class bracket. Nae doubt about it in my opinion.

100%. Xavi also would be classed as World Class without any doubt in my mind.

J-C
22-09-2015, 12:51 PM
You can add Bobby Moore to that list, oozed class.

Geo_1875
22-09-2015, 12:59 PM
How could I forget about Georgie?!! Asked the boy in my work who sits next to me and he said Beckenbauer, also a good shout.

If we're going back that far I'll have Gerd Muller, Jairzinho and Jimmy O'Rourke.

DH1875
22-09-2015, 01:04 PM

100% spot on. How anyone can see it different is beyond me. That said, reading the thread there's folks on here that think Jordi Cruyff and Alan Shearer are world class. All about opinions lol.

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 01:18 PM
He scored 155 goals for Utd in 700 and odd games, 10th highest in the clubs history, that's a phenomenal contribution for a holding midfielder (fair enough he used to roam forward a lot in his younger days). His nickname is Sat Nav! His passing accuracy was unreal really when you look at the stats, and his ability to find space and time in a crowded midfield was almost comical at times, he was the certainly for me the best players on the planet in his position during his career.

He wasn't a holding midfielder when he was scoring goals. Struggled to hold down a place in the England team as well.

His tackling was atrocious. The stats don't really show that 'cos the ref's let him away with murder for fear of his gaffer.

Really? I;d say Scholes is best footballer the UK has ever produced. By a mile.

Really? Quite a statement.

Jim44
22-09-2015, 01:18 PM

You could expect Beckham to be in there, but, perhaps Ferguson was having a wee cheap shot at him because of their 'broken' relationship. Or have I invented that?

Green forever
22-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Personally, I wouldn't put Cantona as world class, he was a stand out in the premiership but was posted missing in the big champions league games when it really mattered.

Brightside
22-09-2015, 01:21 PM
He wasn't a holding midfielder when he was scoring goals. Struggled to hold down a place in the England team as well.

His tackling was atrocious. The stats don't really show that 'cos the ref's let him away with murder for fear of his gaffer.

Really? Quite a statement.

Well apart from Paul Hanlon.

Brightside
22-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Personally, I wouldn't put Cantona as world class, he was a stand out in the premiership but was posted missing in the big champions league games when it really mattered.

Cantona had a great show reel...but only had a couple of years of greatness.

Mr White
22-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Lothar matthaus anyone? Absolutely ridiculous stats, 150 german caps 5 world cups playing in 3 world cup finals winning one and also winning the 1980 euros. A fine player who scored one of my favourite goals in Italia 90 v yugoslavia. Hard to say he wasn't world class both in midfield then later in defence.

Brightside
22-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Lothar matthaus anyone? Absolutely ridiculous stats, 150 german caps 5 world cups playing in 3 world cup finals winning one and also winning the 1980 euros. A fine player who scored one of my favourite goals in Italia 90 v yugoslavia. Hard to say he wasn't world class both in midfield then later in defence.

Totti - Baresi - Buffon - Platini - Voller - Figo - Baggio - Gordon Hunter - Nesta - Cannavaro

HibbyAndy
22-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Beckham was excellent, worked hard as ****, and could pick a pass as well as anyone.

Think players like Ferdinand, Stam, Schmeichel, Van Nistelrooy and Jordi Cruyff could feel hard done by as well, but Ferguson would know better than anyone who the real world class players were I suppose.

Not a hope in hell Jordi Cruyff was world class.

I'm pretty sure the most honest Man u fans would say so to.

easty
22-09-2015, 01:30 PM
100% spot on. How anyone can see it different is beyond me. That said, reading the thread there's folks on here that think Jordi Cruyff and Alan Shearer are world class. All about opinions lol.

It was me who said Jordi Cruyff, but I was very much taking the piss!

Mr White
22-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Totti - Baresi - Buffon - Platini - Voller

Eh... aye I agree. I think.

greenlex
22-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Not a hope in hell Jordi Cruyff was world class.

I'm pretty sure the most honest Man u fans would say so to.
His auld man aye. But no him.

lyonhibs
22-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Eh... aye I agree. I think.

Totti in nets and Buffon at centre back is a combo I'm surprised no-one's tried in real life yet.

Thecat23
22-09-2015, 02:07 PM

That is a good shout.

cmcd
22-09-2015, 02:30 PM
schmeichel

thuram
cannavaro
sammer
maldini

c.ronaldo
iniesta
zidane
messi

shearer
f.ronaldo

slightly attack-minded midfield but hey, they can handle it. Hard to leave bergkamp, xavi and pirlo out...

pele

.Sean.
22-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Di he not apply for the managers jobs at a few Scottish clubs? Hibs Hearts and Killie all spring to mind.

GreenLake
22-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I often think of Hagi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTnWfbXk28) who came from a minor football nation.

Gettin' Auld
22-09-2015, 02:42 PM

When did he play for Man Utd? :greengrin

Craig_HFC
22-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Alfredo Di Stefano.

Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond.

HibbyAndy
22-09-2015, 02:46 PM
I often think of Hagi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTnWfbXk28) who came from a minor football nation.

Gheorghie Hagi was an unbelievable football player. World class for sure.

Mcpakeisgod
22-09-2015, 02:51 PM

So a defender can't be world class ? Or a DM , GK? I hope this is a wind up

Stevie Reid
22-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Scholes didn't struggle to hold down a place with England - he won 66 caps in 7 years and retired aged 29.

And, whilst his tackling was atrocious certainly, he wasn't a malicious player. He has the fourth highest number of bookings in EPL history, and is apparently the most booked player ever in the Champions League - so he hardly got away with murder.

Bostonhibby
22-09-2015, 03:17 PM
He never did have an eye for a player otherwise he'd have spotted that Andy Driver and Jason Holt were £10m plus players and signed them just before the yam started highlighting their real potential.

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Opinions eh.

In mine at his peak he would have walked into any midfield in the word and rightly so.

Mr White
22-09-2015, 03:42 PM
When did he play for Man Utd? :greengrin

Yeah it was more a reply to the tangent of other non man utd world class players that appeared in the thread and the definition of what constitutes world class. Apologies :greengrin

Mikey09
22-09-2015, 03:45 PM

I realise its all about opinions... But come on!! You're at it!!

MKHIBEE
22-09-2015, 03:53 PM
If we're going back that far I'll have Gerd Muller, Jairzinho and Jimmy O'Rourke.
If your having Jimmy O'Rourke I'm having Alex Edwards

BoomtownHibees
22-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Loving that in the same thread:

Scholes is overrated, even though he is probably the best midfielder England have produced

Jordi Cruyff and Alan Shearer are world class (although Cruyff is said to be a piss take)

All about opinions eh lol

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2015, 04:04 PM
In my time watching football Pele, Best, Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Maradona, Ronaldo,Messi

Tom Hart RIP
22-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Ps, debatable Garrincia, Eusabio, Zidanne, Law and Weah

Iain G
22-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Schmeichel

Thuram
Cannavaro
Sammer
Maldini

C.Ronaldo
Iniesta
Zidane
Messi

Shearer
F.Ronaldo

Slightly attack-minded midfield but hey, they can handle it. Hard to leave Bergkamp, Xavi and Pirlo out...

I know we wanna have a Scot in there but think there are a few better options than Duncan Shearer ;-)

Baader
22-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Ps, debatable Garrincia, Eusabio, Zidanne, Law and Weah

No doubt about any of them I'd say.

Zidane inspired his country to their first World Cup, at home under pressure, scoring twice in the Final. Fairytale stuff. Unquestionably the best player on the planet for three years after that. European Championship for France in 2000. Great goal in Champions League Final at Hampden. World Class players deliver on the big stage.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy

The inference being, look how well i did with all those average, journeyman players. Considering Fergie was in charge of the richest, most powerful and most famous club in England / maybe even the world for most of his reign there, the whole siege mentality just seems a bit daft. Fergie is one of the greatest ever, but his constant need for attention is getting a bit wearing. Mind you, dignity never was one of his strong points was it.

Also, i would say that Man U relatively underachieved in Europe, and that has always irked him - this sounds like an excuse for that.

Obviously world-class is a difficult term, but i have always taken it to mean good enough to play in any team in the world, and i think its fair to say Fergie had, quite literally, dozens and dozens of world class players in his time at Man Utd.

CockneyRebel
So a defender can't be world class ? Or a DM , GK? I hope this is a wind up

Aye - what about Maldini?

Sir David Gray
22-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I think Peter Schmeichel has a case for being considered as world class when he was in his prime.

David Beckham was probably in that bracket as well, the way he could pick out a pass or a cross from about 30 yards away was outstanding. Brilliant free kick taker too.

Just Jimmy
22-09-2015, 04:39 PM

What about Alfedo Di Stefano? Argueably Real Madrid's greatest player?

Pretty Boy
22-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Tbh I think the reporting of this is a bit different from what Fergie actually says.

He acknowledges the likes of Beckham, Ruud, Stam and Schmeichel were great players but sayd the 4 he picked out took it to another level and gives a reason for each.

I think Schmeichel is arguably the one who can feel most hard done by. The guy revolutionised goalkeeping in the early 90s and has an aura and presence about him that made strikers doubt themselves. Imo he is the greatest modern day keeper there has been, only Buffon comes close. He was every bit as big a reason.as Cantona for United getting that 1st league title under Ferguson as goalkeeper had been a problem position them prior to his arrival.

IanM
22-09-2015, 05:02 PM
George Best in his prime was one of the best in the world, whether than makes him world class I'll let someone else decide.

Pele said he was the greatest player of all time, sure that'll count towards something

J-C
22-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Scholes is an attacking mid, always played with a holder beside him, Keane or Ince, ended his career as the holding mid because his legs weren't up for the box 2 box stuff.

HibbyAndy
22-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Scholes is an attacking mid, always played with a holder beside him, Keane or Ince, ended his career as the holding mid because his legs weren't up for the box 2 box stuff.

Or because not a lot of folk knew he had Asthma.

Sir David Gray
22-09-2015, 05:39 PM

“My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.” - Zinedine Zidane

“I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.” - Edgar Davids

“Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.” - Pep Guardiola

“I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player.” - Laurent Blanc

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite.” - Sir Bobby Charlton

“He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.” - Cesc Fabregas

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Opinions eh.

In mine at his peak he would have walked into any midfield in the word and rightly so.

Even the England team? Cos he didn't manage it - they chucked him on the left out of reputation cos he wasn't good enough for centre mid.

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 05:57 PM
“My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.” - Zinedine Zidane

“I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.” - Edgar Davids

“Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.” - Pep Guardiola

“I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player.” - Laurent Blanc

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite.” - Sir Bobby Charlton

“He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.” - Cesc Fabregas

"You're on the bench son"
"Play out on the left please"
"No you're not as good as lampard or gerrard"

Various England managers.

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Scholes didn't struggle to hold down a place with England - he won 66 caps in 7 years and retired aged 29.

And, whilst his tackling was atrocious certainly, he wasn't a malicious player. He has the fourth highest number of bookings in EPL history, and is apparently the most booked player ever in the Champions League - so he hardly got away with murder.

He got 66 caps - lots of them out of position, just to fit him in.

He couldn't be coached how to tackle - a defensive/holding midfielder that can't tackle?

Interesting stats on the bookings, I suppose my memory says a lot of the yellows should've been red.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2015, 06:09 PM
He got 66 caps - lots of them out of position, just to fit him in.

He couldn't be coached how to tackle - a defensive/holding midfielder that can't tackle?

Interesting stats on the bookings, I suppose my memory says a lot of the yellows should've been red.

He wasn't a defensive midfielder for much of his career though. He converted to that position as his legs went when he got older but his best years where as an attacking/playmaking midfielder. Roy Keane and Nicky Butt were the holding players.

He scored both a hat trick against Poland and a brace against Scotland for England and it was only the last 5 games of his England career he was shunted out to the left. Both Steve McLaren and Fabio Capello tried to tempt him back into the England etc up as well.

There have been many English players overrated over the years but I don't think Scholes is one of them. As pointed out above much of the praise of him has come from his peers as opposed to press hype.

Peevemor
22-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Eusebio? Socrates? Figo?

GlesgaeHibby
22-09-2015, 06:33 PM
[/B]

I realise its all about opinions... But come on!! You're at it!!

:agree: When Zidane was asked what it was like to be the best midfielder in the world he replied 'Well, you should ask Paul Scholes'. The fact the likes of Zidane, Xavi etc all rate him so highly says it all.

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2015, 06:36 PM
He wasn't a defensive midfielder for much of his career though. He converted to that position as his legs went when he got older but his best years where as an attacking/playmaking midfielder. Roy Keane and Nicky Butt were the holding players.

He scored both a hat trick against Poland and a brace against Scotland for England and it was only the last 5 games of his England career he was shunted out to the left. Both Steve McLaren and Fabio Capello tried to tempt him back into the England etc up as well.

There have been many English players overrated over the years but I don't think Scholes is one of them. As pointed out above much of the praise of him has come from his peers as opposed to press hype.

I thought he was excellent when he was an attacking midfielder - when he moved back he wasn't as good.

GreenOnions
22-09-2015, 06:39 PM

I'll have some of what you're on there mate :greengrin

J-C
22-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Or because not a lot of folk knew he had Asthma.

Didn't know that, I assumed it was because he was getting on a bit.

Scouse Hibee
22-09-2015, 08:31 PM

Just because he said it, it doesn't mean he's right it's just his opinion.The same opinion that thought Moyes would cut it!

easty
22-09-2015, 08:34 PM
I'll have some of what you're on there mate :greengrin

I didn't mean Jordi Cruyff, I meant Jesper Blomqvist.

Mr White
22-09-2015, 08:42 PM
I didn't mean Jordi Cruyff, I meant Jesper Blomqvist.

Pfffft couldn't lace luke chadwick's boots.

The_Exile
22-09-2015, 08:44 PM
It's all subjective really isn't it? I think we'd all have Pele, Best, Maradona and Messi in our teams so maybe they're the only 4 world class players? You could make a list of around 30 players who we'd all agree were a cut above everybody else but those 4 mentioned above would surely be top of everyones list?

DH1875
22-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Alan Shearer wouldnt even make a list of the top 20 forwards/strikers off all time.

Cropley10
22-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Agree with all of that, his value to the team was priceless, without Paul Scholes the Manchester United team of that era would've perhaps not been as successful. Yeah his tackling was abysmal at times but he was never scared to stick his foot in :greengrin

Scholes was the footballer's footballer... :agree:

Beckham did great for a guy who couldn't beat a guy, header etc, as George Best put it so well.

bobbyhibs1983
22-09-2015, 08:50 PM
i think you have to add Schmeichel to the list imo, beckham no way ! very good at passing corners, and free kicks and nothing more imo , i mean the boy could not dribble,could not head the ball or tackle could he? put an average player who could run a little, and tackle and beckham wouldn't know what to do imo( a lil edit it seems cropley10 has beat me to some points)

alot of views on what makes a player world class and imo i think I would class it as someone who had amazing ability who could preform under a heck of alot of pressure and still be the best.

DH1875
22-09-2015, 08:50 PM
It's all subjective really isn't it? I think we'd all have Pele, Best, Maradona and Messi in our teams so maybe they're the only 4 world class players? You could make a list of around 30 players who we'd all agree were a cut above everybody else but those 4 mentioned above would surely be top of everyones list?

Would have Ronaldo ahead of Messi every day of the week.

Cropley10
22-09-2015, 08:52 PM
:agree: When Zidane was asked what it was like to be the best midfielder in the world he replied 'Well, you should ask Paul Scholes'. The fact the likes of Zidane, Xavi etc all rate him so highly says it all.

Isn't there some story of 4 Barca players asking him for his shirt after a UCL game?

renato
22-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Scholes at his peak, along with Xavi and Pirlo pretty much their whole careers....great players, all had a wand of a right peg. I don't think we'll see many players that technically capable in the middle of the park for another generation or two.

marleyhib
22-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Ronaldo is a class above anyone else he managed at Man U. The others mentioned are some very special players too.

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Perhaps Ronaldo?! I know it's all about opinions but to me thay is bizarre. If he isn't world class I don't know who is or what it take to be world class

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 09:34 PM
i think you have to add Schmeichel to the list imo, beckham no way ! very good at passing corners, and free kicks and nothing more imo , i mean the boy could not dribble,could not head the ball or tackle could he? put an average player who could run a little, and tackle and beckham wouldn't know what to do imo( a lil edit it seems cropley10 has beat me to some points)

alot of views on what makes a player world class and imo i think I would class it as someone who had amazing ability who could preform under a heck of alot of pressure and still be the best.

I know I'm the same, would hate having a player like beckham who could put the ball in the back of the net from most positions or pick a player out with ease. Need a wide guy like sproule to run really fast...:rolleyes:

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Schmeichel

Thuram
Cannavaro
Sammer
Maldini

C.Ronaldo
Iniesta
Zidane
Messi

Shearer
F.Ronaldo

Surely your not talking about Alan shearer?

Sir David Gray
22-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Surely your not talking about Alan shearer?

Duncan.

JohnM1875
22-09-2015, 09:50 PM
I know I'm the same, would hate having a player like beckham who could put the ball in the back of the net from most positions or pick a player out with ease. Need a wide guy like sproule to run really fast...:rolleyes:

Totally agree with you, Beckham could pick out a pass for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLUwtBeRK8

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm reasonably young but for me is I got to choose an 11 it would be

Schmeichel
Cafu Maldini ferdinand Ashley cole

Zidane Scholes Iniesta
C.Ronaldo Messi
Ronaldo

Unsure about Iniesta but can't think hahah.
Special mention to guys like Thierry Henry, John Terry, beckham giggs etc

Like I said I'm young so the older plays iv only really seen highlights

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Totally agree with you, Beckham could pick out a pass for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLUwtBeRK8

Would never tire of watching passes like that.

Imo beckham was very much underrated because of his celebrity status and because of that not much people liked him.

He's always been a hero of mine and you can't doubt his ability, this has been proved in the teams he had played for:
Man utd
Madrid
Ac Milan
Psg

hibees 7062
22-09-2015, 10:02 PM

George Best

Mibbes Aye
22-09-2015, 10:33 PM

If you take it over the last fifty years, which allows Pele to stay in, then I'd be adding Paul Breitner, Ruud Krol and Zico, plus Beckenbauer who's been mentioned already and Platini (can't be bothered checking whether he's been namechecked :greengrin).

I suppose it also begs the question - is there room for a player who won six league titles in a very competitive domestic league and won three European Cups? In which case step forward Kenny Dalglish. I like Naismith and Fletcher but that's the difference we are talking about.

ScottB
22-09-2015, 10:37 PM
I find the talk about Scholes rather strange, when Zidane says that Scholes is the toughest opponent he ever faced, while Ronaldo, Xavi and more all rate him highly, for me, I'm happy to take their word for it!

Andy Bee
22-09-2015, 10:48 PM
George Best

George Best was world class in a number of games, certainly not all which is what I think Fergie is alluding to. The four mentioned were different class throughout their careers and all complete professionals (Cantona karate kick aside). Whilst I get why Beckham wasn't included I don't get why Stam and Schmeichel aint in there and I can only surmise that he's totally forgotten about Archie Gemill :greengrin

Unseen work
22-09-2015, 11:19 PM
A name that I have not seen mentioned.

Ronaldinho.

Smartie
22-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Has there ever been a better goalkeeper than Schmeichel?

If he wasn't World Class then I don't know if any goalkeeper ever was.

bigwheel
23-09-2015, 06:10 AM

Top class indeed - I would put Buffon right up there too

Scouse Hibee
23-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Different era, but for a couple of seasons Neville Southall was up there with the best in the world.

DTS
23-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Due to my age I have only seen the best players of the 80s/90s on YouTube clips so for me a world class 11 would have to be this

Buffon
Cafu
Maldini
canavaro
cole
Zidane
Xavi
Iniesta
C.Ronaldo
Messi
Ronaldo
For me Henry, scholes, Gerrard and bergkamp would all also be up there

Iain G
23-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Due to my age I have only seen the best players of the 80s/90s on YouTube clips so for me a world class 11 would have to be this

Buffon
Cafu
Maldini
canavaro
cole
Zidane
Xavi
Iniesta
C.Ronaldo
Messi
Ronaldo
For me Henry, scholes, Gerrard and bergkamp would all also be up there

You really need to find a better left back than that huddie Cole!!

mjhibby
23-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Eusebio? Socrates? Figo?

Eusebio was a superb player. Lightning quick and a powerhouse of a cforward. Would have been the perfect target man in the modern game. Like pele got assaulted every time he pkayed which tells you what opposition teams thought of him. Only seem him on video
but what a player.

J-C
23-09-2015, 08:23 AM
My world 11

Schmichael

Carlos Alberto
Beckenbauer
Moore
Roberto Carlos

Xavi
Zidane
Iniesta