PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen's Title challenge

hibsbollah
20-09-2015, 03:26 PM
What is the financial position of Aberdeen? Will they be able to withstand bids for players like McGinn etc in January if Celtic try to do what they did to Dundee Utd last season? Anyone know?

Personally I'm loving it; no big fan of Aberdeen but watching the way they play this is definitely the best opportunity for a non old firm title in 30 years. 1986 rings a bell but I can't remember what happened exactly...

CB_NO3
20-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Celtic will win the league by 10 points. Once they are kicked out of Europe by Xmas they will kick on. They can spend big in January too.

NAE NOOKIE
20-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Its a tough task for Aberdeen to keep up with Sellik's strength in depth .....but if they are still in front in January and sell anybody to the smellies the fans will burn down the stadium, no matter what the clubs finances.

Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.

silverhibee
20-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Celtic will win the league by 10 points. Once they are kicked out of Europe by Xmas they will kick on. They can spend big in January too.

Celtc will miss Griffiths for his goals for a good bit when he appears infront of the SFA beaks this week for singing that song, and to boot a few games ban for dissing the referee after the Aberdeen game, could be double figures.

R'Albin
20-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Part of me thinks this, but it's worth bearing in mind that Aberdeen went about 25 games unbeaten in the SPL against everyone other than Celtic at the end of last season. If they produce a similar run Celtic will really have a task on their hands - especially with such a poor management team.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Celtic will win the title by at least 10 points.

Stuarty27
20-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Ryan Jack looks like some player. Think they may struggle to keep ahold of him

Nameless
20-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Aberdeen will win the league by at least 10 points.

Islington Hibs
20-09-2015, 04:14 PM
While I am no Aberdeen fan it is brilliant for Scottish football if Celtic are crushed. Gives hope to everyone and makes it a bit more interesting. Good luck to the Dons- just not next Wednesday!

Centre Hawf
20-09-2015, 04:23 PM
No danger they'll sell anyone key to their push this season. I actually fully believe one of their strengths is squad unity and they all buy into McInnes and believe they can do it this year. So unless they're 10/15 points behind in January then I can't see any Aberdeen player actually wanting to leave for Celtic this season. Maybe next summer but that's a different story.

silverhibee
20-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Lets hope the sheep aren't on fire on Wednesday. :cb

Ryan69
20-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.[/QUOTE]

They certainly have a better chance than Celtic going unbeaten.

J-C
20-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Was Aberdeens debt not written off recently?

silverhibee
20-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Was Aberdeens debt not written off recently?

Yeah, some wealthy couple from up that way done it.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2015, 04:37 PM

The Donald family

J-C
20-09-2015, 04:46 PM

So good crowds and all monies going towards squad.

DH1875
20-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Lets hope the sheep aren't on fire on Wednesday. :cb

Hope they rest their first team and put out their u23 team.

Deansy
20-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Its a tough task for Aberdeen to keep up with Sellik's strength in depth .....but if they are still in front in January and sell anybody to the smellies the fans will burn down the stadium, no matter what the clubs finances.

Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.

If Aberdeen are still in front in January, the SMSM will sit itself and repeat what it did for the Hun re Scott Allan - in that way it's truly unbiased - as long as either of the 'Old Sum' win, it's happy !!

Franck Stanton
20-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Why ? Have we sunk that low we are afraid of Aberdeen ? Bring them on I say, will be a good test of just how far we have come/have yet to go.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 05:02 PM

Hopefully they'll come down on Wednesday full of complacency, since they're playing a Championship side, and we hit them with the sucker punch.

First domestic defeat of the season. :aok:

Centre Hawf
20-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Why ? Have we sunk that low we are afraid of Aberdeen ? Bring them on I say, will be a good test of just how far we have come/have yet to go.

It's not being afraid, it's being realistic. I go into Wednesday's game knowing we're facing arguably the best team in Scotland at the moment, while we struggled to bury Livingston yesterday. I think we'll give them a good game but if we lose I won't exactly be surprised or annoyed.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Hopefully they'll come down on Wednesday full of complacency, since they're playing a Championship side, and we hit them with the sucker punch.

First domestic defeat of the season. :aok:

It would be a massive boost for us if we win. Won't be too disappointed if we don't though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves I'd cope with us leaving the league cup.

J-C
20-09-2015, 05:37 PM
It would be a massive boost for us if we win. Won't be too disappointed if we don't though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves I'd cope with us leaving the league cup.

Same sentiments but the league is more important, wee cup run is nice but not a priority.

Tyler Durden
20-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Few people getting a bit carried away I think.

Aberdeen look a good team but i can't see teams queuing up to buy their players. McGinn, Rooney and Goodwillie have already failed down south and the likes of Ryan Jack just isn't that great.

Hopefully they can run Celtic close but overall there's a big drop in standards in Scotland from say 5 years ago.

I think Hibs can certainly give them a good game on Wednesday

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Totally.

I don't expect us to win on Wednesday night, we're going to be facing a huge step up in quality from what we've been used to every week, over the last year or so.

Aberdeen will be massive favourites to win and rightly so. I'm just looking forward to watching a game where the opposition won't be sitting in and putting ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes for a change.

It might not end up in our favour but it will be nice to see because watching these sorts of games every week in the Championship are soul destroying.

emerald green
20-09-2015, 05:54 PM
I will be very surprised if Celtic don't win the title. They absolutely massacred Dundee today, even missing a penalty.

The sheep will put in a challenge, but Celtic have more strength in depth, financial clout, and know how to win a title.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Same sentiments but the league is more important, wee cup run is nice but not a priority.

:agree: all about the league J.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Totally.

I don't expect us to win on Wednesday night, we're going to be facing a huge step up in quality from what we've been used to every week, over the last year or so.

Aberdeen will be massive favourites to win and rightly so. I'm just looking forward to watching a game where the opposition won't be sitting in and putting ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes for a change.

It might not end up in our favour but it will be nice to see because watching these sorts of games every week in the Championship are soul destroying.

:agree: great chance for our players to show what they can do against a good team.

Famous Fiver
20-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I do think that Aberdeen will sit in at the start and hope to hit us on the break. Then they sit in with a vengeance.

Best chance for us is an early goal and we can't afford to throw away chances like we did yesterday.

If we get in front we can hit them on the break.

rcarter1
20-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Im confident that we can give Aberdeen a decent game. Hearts are probably slightly better personel wise from last season, but so are we. Head to head last season we always matched Hearts. If Aberdeen come into this game a little less focused than for a league match, we have players capable of giving them problems. I just hope they don't grab some early goals. If we think its hard to break down Alloa etc, I can imagine we'll find it tough to chase a game vs the Dons.

Hibs to score first, goes to extra time, Hibs win on pens… :agree:

Cabbage East
20-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Aberdeen will win the league by 15 points. I'm posting this not as opinion, but fact.

silverhibee
20-09-2015, 06:37 PM
So good crowds and all monies going towards squad.

I'm sure when the couple done it the owner Milne invested money in to the club, i think.

hfc rd
20-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Far too early to say. Can they remain consistent for the whole course of the season? I hope they do win it but far too early to predict.

Jones28
20-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Aberdeen look a good team but i can't see teams queuing up to buy their players. McGinn, Rooney and Goodwillie have already failed down south and the likes of Ryan Jack just isn't that great.

Hopefully they can run Celtic close but overall there's a big drop in standards in Scotland from say 5 years ago.

Surely that's a good thing, they can keep a winning team together?

hibsbollah
20-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Based on past behaviour Celtic would most certainly buy their players if they thought it would derail a sheep title challenge.

hfc rd
20-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Based on past behaviour Celtic would most certainly buy their players if they thought it would derail a sheep title challenge.

Was having the same thought myself.

#FromTheCapital
20-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Tin hat on here but I'd rather Celtic won the league. Yes, it's boring having them as champions every year, but at least we're all used to it. I have a real dislike for Aberdeen and their fans. Would happily see any team win the league other than Aberdeen or Hearts.

marinello59
20-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Tin hat on here but I'd rather Celtic won the league. Yes, it's boring having them as champions every year, but at least we're all used to it. I have a real dislike for Aberdeen and their fans. Would happily see any team win the league other than Aberdeen or Hearts.

:agree:

Hiber-nation
20-09-2015, 09:06 PM
As far as I'm concerned it would be fantastic if they won it. Don't like or dislike them any more than any other SPL team other than hearts obviously and celtc.

ekhibee
20-09-2015, 09:14 PM
There's a lot of things I don't like about Celtic and there's a lot of things I don't like about Aberdeen as well. Right now I probably dislike Aberdeen more, because Richard Gordon and Willie Miller are really irritating, but at least Hearts were shown up today so every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

Mr White
20-09-2015, 09:21 PM
There's a lot of things I don't like about Celtic and there's a lot of things I don't like about Aberdeen as well. Right now I probably dislike Aberdeen more, because Richard Gordon and Willie Miller are really irritating, but at least Hearts were shown up today so every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

I'll see your gordon and miller and raise you provan, walker, & sutton.

Tyler Durden
20-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Surely that's a good thing, they can keep a winning team together?

Yeah, I was just responding to the question of whether they could keep hold of their players. I just don't think they're that good, so I don't see their challenge lasting.

The sum is better than the individual parts though so credit to McInnes.

On my point about the lack of quality, I'd suggest Mowbrays Hibs team or Burleys Hearts were far superior to this Aberdeen lot

monktonharp
20-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Lets hope the sheep aren't on fire on Wednesday. :cb we will scare the life out of them on Wednesday......................................... ...............................................by wearing Halloween masks before the game., or sheep worrying dug's claithes.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-09-2015, 09:53 PM

I certainly hope we give them a good game on Wed, but I think its one of the things their manager has done particularly well - to build a highly competetive team, yet one whose individual players are not coveted by others. Its a model we should aspire to.

sahib
20-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Aberdeen will win the league by 15 points. I'm posting this not as opinion, but fact.

Unless you have got a time machine, then it is only an opinion. Fact.
Why do I feel like I have been hooked?:confused::rolleyes:

jacomo
20-09-2015, 11:47 PM

If the Dons are still top of the League in January then Lawwell will swing into action and gut their team. Obviously.

majorhibs
21-09-2015, 04:08 AM

If the Dons are still top of the League in January then Lawwell will swing into action and gut their team. Obviously.

If Delia & Collins are still at the tic in January, I think Aberdeen will have the best chance of any Scottish team for a long time, reckon Delia is similar to Le Guen at times. Would also be good for Scottish Fitba if Aberdeens board took a stance similar to us when the huns thought they could easily sign SA but were sent packing!

DH1875
21-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Forget their team. If Aberdeen are still top in January, whats the chances of celtic going for their manager.

DAVE1875
21-09-2015, 07:22 AM
we will scare the life out of them on Wednesday......................................... ...............................................by wearing Halloween masks before the game., or sheep worrying dug's claithes.

Every Hibs fan wearing a sheep mask like Erick Rowan (WWE) :tee hee:

Niffy
21-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Me personally.... absolutely ANYBODY except the old firm.

Slicer
21-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Me personally.... absolutely ANYBODY except the old firm and hertz ;)

Eyrie
21-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Me personally.... absolutely ANYBODY except the old firm and hertz ;)

This.

cabbageandribs1875
21-09-2015, 10:21 AM
what on earth is happening at hertz :confused: they were strolling the league a few weeks ago and looking like title winners with only 30+ games to go

title decider next week at parkheid

Sylar
21-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Rooting for them to win the Premiership, no questions asked.

Anyone other than Septic winning the league would be excellent!

Northern Hibby
21-09-2015, 10:32 AM

To be fair to Richard Gordon he has, more than once, taken stick on air for his Dons allegiance after bad results, especially in the cup and being put out by lower league teams :hmmm: now there's a thought :wink:

mjhibby
21-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Only problem with the dons winning the league is that their fans will be insufferable especially richsrd gordon who seems to have a severe dislike to hibs. Not bothered who wins as only care about our results.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2015, 11:03 AM
I hope Aberdeen can do it but as I said earlier in the thread I do expect Celtic to win it relatively comfortably.

Bad Martini
21-09-2015, 11:17 AM
I recall seasons in living memory when we were sitting top of the SPL and near the top at the start of the season.

I recall what happened thereafter.

How many games played? How close did aberdeen run them last year?

What has fundamentally changed to make anyone realistically believe celtic will do anything other than win that league?

Anyways, putting aside common sense and reasoned debate, my actual take on it:

1) I dont give a toss if celtic or aberdeen win the league. We are not in that league and thus I dont give a toss at all.
2) I do give a toss if we beat aberdeen this week. I hope we do. I dont like aberdeen. They live in the 80's , similarly to other ****ty teams who have done nothing really for years.
3) Err, thats it.

**** aberdeen and celtic. Neither draws any favour from me and they can rip eachother a new one trying to win that league for all I care.

GGTTH

ENDOF

SlickShoes
21-09-2015, 12:45 PM

I have an irrational dislike for Aberdeen as well, always hated them, however i'd much rather see them or anyone other than Hearts and the OF win the league.

mim
21-09-2015, 02:09 PM
What has fundamentally changed to make anyone realistically believe celtic will do anything other than win that league?

Perhaps the fact that Celtic won by 17 points, taking 12 points from Aberdeen. Aberdeen are already 6 points better off in head to heads with Celtic after one meeting.
It ain't impossible.

Stokesy's on fire
21-09-2015, 02:09 PM
I hate Aberdeen can't stand their fans. Celtic will walk it again like they did last season. The sheep are no different to Hearts they claim to be a BIG TEAM. Plus they have a ***** song book.

bigwheel
21-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I'd love to see Aberdeen win the title...and from the brief bits I saw of their game yesterday..they certainly look like they have the capabilities to give Celtic a real run for the money this year. It would be great for Scottish Football if someone other than Celtic won the league.

Ryan69
21-09-2015, 03:16 PM
It would be fantastic for Scottish football if Aberdeen can keep their consistency. The longer Celtic are in Europe too...will help Aberdeen alot!

But we all know how these stories go!

Celtic will try buy their team,take their manager,and the Glasgow Media will get involved and unsettle the team! It's happened time and time again!

I watched the Aberdeen game yesterday,and playing like that...why can't they do it?

hibbybob
21-09-2015, 03:30 PM
It would be fantastic for Scottish football if Aberdeen can keep their consistency. The longer Celtic are in Europe too...will help Aberdeen alot!

But we all know how these stories go!

Celtic will try buy their team,take their manager,and the Glasgow Media will get involved and unsettle the team! It's happened time and time again!

I watched the Aberdeen game yesterday,and playing like that...why can't they do it?

Players possibly - but the manager!!

jacomo
21-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Forget their team. If Aberdeen are still top in January, whats the chances of celtic going for their manager.

Quite possible.

Keith_M
21-09-2015, 03:49 PM
If Delia & Collins are still at the tic in January, I think Aberdeen will have the best chance of any Scottish team for a long time, reckon Delia is similar to Le Guen at times. Would also be good for Scottish Fitba if Aberdeens board took a stance similar to us when the huns thought they could easily sign SA but were sent packing!

The problem with that scenario is that The Rangers were partly successful. OK, they didn't sign SA but Hibs lost him, largely as a result of him being unsettled by DerHun, The Media and his Agent.

The same thing could well happen to any Dons player.

Ryan69
21-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Players possibly - but the manager!!

Why not? If you can't stroll a league with 10 x a budget than anyone else....why not?

I don't rate Delia and certainly not Collins either.

hibbybob
21-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Why not? If you can't stroll a league with 10 x a budget than anyone else....why not?

I don't rate Delia and certainly not Collins either.

Only because Celtic wouldn't appoint an ex Rangers player as manager. Just wouldn't happen.

dangermouse
22-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Perhaps the fact that Celtic won by 17 points, taking 12 points from Aberdeen. Aberdeen are already 6 points better off in head to heads with Celtic after one meeting.
It ain't impossible.

How do you work that one out? They've played each other once so only three points up for grabs.

Andy74
22-09-2015, 09:56 AM
How do you work that one out? They've played each other once so only three points up for grabs.

Does he not mean a relative swing? This time they have the 3 points but also Celtic don't.

PatHead
22-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Only because Celtic wouldn't appoint an ex Rangers player as manager. Just wouldn't happen.

Just watch him being touted for Sunderland or Bolton or the likes by the MSM. Enough to unsettle the players. League challenge then ends after bad spell.

BTW I dislike Aberdeen as much as OF but probably dislike any of them as much as MSM.

dangermouse
22-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Does he not mean a relative swing? This time they have the 3 points but also Celtic don't.

That's still only three points though not six. :confused:

PatHead
22-09-2015, 10:17 AM
That's still only three points though not six. :confused:

But Celtic are 3 points worse off, Aberdeen 3 points better off = 6 point swing.

mim
22-09-2015, 10:33 AM
But Celtic are 3 points worse off, Aberdeen 3 points better off = 6 point swing.

Quite so.
Last season, if Aberdeen had won the 12 points in head to heads, instead of Celtic, Aberdeen would have won the league by 7 points, instead of losing it by 17.
After one meeting Celtic are -3 in head to heads and Aberdeen are +3, relative to last season (which is what my post stated) :greengrin

dangermouse
22-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Celtic are not three points worse off. They have played each other once and the difference after the game was Aberdeen gained three of the points available and Celtic none so just three points. Had Celtic been deducted three points (and I can see no reason why that shouldn't have been the case :greengrin) then there would indeed have been a six point difference.

Bad Martini
22-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Celtic are not three points worse off. They have played each other once and the difference after the game was Aberdeen gained three of the points available and Celtic none so just three points. Had Celtic been deducted three points (and I can see no reason why that shouldn't have been the case :greengrin) then there would indeed have been a six point difference.

:agree: yep, agree 100%.

In addition and as per my point, the difference in points this season has been done before at similar stages. How many games played as I rhetorically asked?

Just because aberdeen are in front at the moment doesn't mean they will keep it going and make a real challenge for the title.

General point to all who believe it is good for Scottish fitba if aberdeen do well? How? If anyone other than celtic are strengthened (because if we face facts, they are the biggest club in Scotland in terms of cash and players) then we are in essence, weakened as we will by looking to fight and at some point in the near future, seriously attempt to challenge all others.

Dont get me wrong, we'll have a right good go at the unwashed anaw :greengrin but if anyone else strengthens beyond celtic, it makes life harder for us no?

Therefore, I hope aberdeen, celtic and hearts kick lumps out eachother and I dont give a toss who wins that league as long as the haha's dont.

:thumbsup:

Andy74
22-09-2015, 11:22 AM

They are relative to last year.

After one match between them Aberdeen have gone from 3 points behind to 3 in front.

That's a difference of 6.

Ryan69
22-09-2015, 11:45 AM
:agree: yep, agree 100%.

In addition and as per my point, the difference in points this season has been done before at similar stages. How many games played as I rhetorically asked?

Just because aberdeen are in front at the moment doesn't mean they will keep it going and make a real challenge for the title.

General point to all who believe it is good for Scottish fitba if aberdeen do well? How? If anyone other than celtic are strengthened (because if we face facts, they are the biggest club in Scotland in terms of cash and players) then we are in essence, weakened as we will by looking to fight and at some point in the near future, seriously attempt to challenge all others.

Dont get me wrong, we'll have a right good go at the unwashed anaw :greengrin but if anyone else strengthens beyond celtic, it makes life harder for us no?

Therefore, I hope aberdeen, celtic and hearts kick lumps out eachother and I dont give a toss who wins that league as long as the haha's dont.

:thumbsup:

Because it may attract more sponsors? Instead of a one horse race.
It shows it's possible to win it with a fraction of the finances,building a settled squad.
Celtic weakened...as no champions league again!

I could state many many points why.

flash
22-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Strange to see quite a few folk claim to dislike Aberdeen as much as Celtc and The Rangers.
Each to their own obviously but I have always liked the way they make no secret of their contempt for the gruesome twosome.

dangermouse
22-09-2015, 12:52 PM

After one match between them Aberdeen have gone from 3 points behind to 3 in front.

How can you use points gained this season and compare to points gained last season and by some twisted logic make out that Aberdeen are six points better off just now? All that has been played for so far between the teams is three points which have gone in Aberdeen's favour. The main issue is that Aberdeen are five points ahead of the reigning champions and long may it continue.

Andy74
22-09-2015, 02:00 PM
How can you use points gained this season and compare to points gained last season and by some twisted logic make out that Aberdeen are six points better off just now? All that has been played for so far between the teams is three points which have gone in Aberdeen's favour. The main issue is that Aberdeen are five points ahead of the reigning champions and long may it continue.

If you have followed the discussion it was about the gap last year and what impact the result between them in the last game would make and indeed what the swing would be if they could pick up more points in the direct games between them.

There's nothing twisted about the logic which is pretty straightforward. On the head to heads the points have swung by six.

The term six pointer didn't come out of thin air!

jacomo
22-09-2015, 09:06 PM

It's a bit early in the season to be talking about 6 pointers!

I'd prefer Aberdeen to win the title. It would attract a bit of interest to Scottish football. But they've got a hell of a job in front of them.

Hiber-nation
22-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Strange to see quite a few folk claim to dislike Aberdeen as much as Celtc and The Rangers.
Each to their own obviously but I have always liked the way they make no secret of their contempt for the gruesome twosome.

Very surprised at this too. Maybe oor Leigh might have something to do with it...

ScottB
22-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Makes our slump over the years since Rangers imploded all the more frustrating, Aberdeen certainly seemed to have been smartly building towards this stage, good on them! Hope they can pull it off.

son of haggart
22-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Makes our slump over the years since Rangers imploded all the more frustrating, Aberdeen certainly seemed to have been smartly building towards this stage, good on them! Hope they can pull it off.

They were excellent against us on Sunday , although we helped them along a bit. Looked to me well capable of sustaining a challenge for longer this year - easily the best team we have played for 18 months in league competitions. Be interesting to see how McInnes deals with the league cup - how far away from the first team will he go? Stick or twist?