PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

QMU-1875
20-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Like playing with ten men when up front. Blatantly needs to be played as a winger where he was great for us last season. Really hope Stubbs changes this because he has been poor coming on in the last couple games as a striker.

Lee Marvin
20-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Like playing with ten men when up front. Blatantly needs to be played as a winger where he was great for us last season. Really hope Stubbs changes this because he has been poor coming on in the last couple games as a striker.

Agreed.

Good winger, never a striker in a million years.

QMU-1875
20-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Agreed.

Good winger, never a striker in a million years.

It's so frustrating watching him up front. Yesterday he barely touched the ball because his positional sense up front is very poor and doesn't have the build to cope with big defenders. As a winger he can really add something to this team.

J-C
20-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Problem we have is Stubbs doesn't play with wingers, prefers wingbacks.

hibsbollah
20-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Malonga was getting a lot of grief yesterday and it wasn't his day in front of goal, but I actually thought we lost something when he went off. Say what you like about Big Dom but he knows how to keep possession, shield the ball and win free kicks, exactly what we needed late on against Livvy.

Smartie
20-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Boyle wouldn't be the first one I'd point the finger at on the strength of yesterday, I thought he did fine when he came on.

It didn't really work the other week when he was up front with Cummings against Stranraer though.

Normally I think his pace adds another dimension to our our play and it doesn't matter if he plays out wide or up front. I do think it would probably suit him best to play against a team that plays a high defensive line, we can thread balls through between defence and keeper for him to run onto. Teams who defend deep and in numbers are harder to break down in this way so Boyle offers less.

He could form a classic "big man little man" front pairing if he had someone (like Farid) winning flick ons and his pace could get in on the end of them.

I don't really see a pairing between any of our strikers to be perfectly honest, even though all of them are good players individually.

J-C
20-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Boyle would be good in a 3 man attack, coming in from wide right but to play with a 4-3-3 Stubbs would have to drop a midfielder and who would he drop right now, probably no one.