PDA

View Full Version : Alagui

Hibs90
20-09-2015, 07:19 AM
What is it with this clamour on here that he is some sort of messiah? Every other post after a game mentions him. He's hardly Ronaldo. Not that I'm saying he isn't a good player but he's not the player some on here seem to think he is! For me Cummings, King Dom and Keatings would be in front of him anyway.

green day
20-09-2015, 07:23 AM
What is it with this clamour on here that he is some sort of messiah? Every other post after a game mentions him. He's hardly Ronaldo. Not that I'm saying he isn't a good player but he's not the player some on here seem to think he is! For me Cummings, King Dom and Keatings would be in front of him anyway.

Agree

We can't make that assessment until/unless farid plays some games.

However his general play and finish against hearts last season tells me he has some qualities which would enhance the team.

Matty_Jack04
20-09-2015, 07:28 AM

He'd be ahead of Dom for me, he gives a physical presence up top that we lack IMO and that would help us break teams down easier to be able to add that either from the start or off the bench, I'm looking forward to him coming back and I'm glad we've got enough strikers to make sure this time he isn't rushed

Ozyhibby
20-09-2015, 07:48 AM
I agree, there is no way to tell if Farid will ever be good enough again to make the team.
I think people are just hoping for something to solve our ongoing goal scoring problem.

Sevco are currently scoring 3.42 per game compared to our 1.33 per game. Until that gap closes we have no chance of catching them.
Our goal scoring problems have actually got worse since last season where we managed 1.94 goals per game but that was still way short of the Yams 2.66
Stubbs needs to find a solution to this problem soon or result like the Falkirk semi or the play off results against Sevco are likely to repeat themselves.
I doubt Farid is the answer but I can see why people are thinking he might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2015, 08:29 AM

I think folk would just like the opportunity to make that judgement based on his performances if he ever manages to be fit enough to get on the pitch. Also gives us another option up front with his physical presence. Nothing wrong with anyone clamouring for one of our long term injured decent players to return to the squad.

Smartie
20-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Yesterday our defensive unit won us the game, in previous weeks our midfield has done it but never this season have our strikers been the outstanding part of our team. They've scored enough to get is on a decent run (coupled with our good defensive performances) but we have to accept it isn't always happening for us in the final third.

He showed glimpses before he got injured then glimpses when he came back of what he could do. I'm never happy when Cummings and Malonga are up front together and Farid is a totally different type of player so would give us a very different option.

Whilst I don't ever want route 1 hoofball to be our first option, if we're going to play that way (as we seemed to want to do at times yesterday) then at least stick someone up there who wins a few headers.

And when we play the sideways pass, get the ball wide, floaty cross football that we most often so then at least stick someone in the box who will attack the ball and get a head on a cross (Dom especially but also JC never seem to get near the crosses).

I think we're a Mixu away from having a superb side. Some of us are just hoping that that final piece of the jigsaw may be Farid, may be Anier or may be A.N.Other.

But whilst it is still early days the signs are there that last season's failings are going to be this season's failings.

Baldy Foghorn
20-09-2015, 09:52 AM

No if Farid was fully fit, all conjecture anyhow

HibbyKeith
20-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Nothing to do with him being a messiah IMO.

We have lots of the ball, teams tend to shut up shop down the middle, so we work the ball into wide area's often and put crosses into the box for nobody to header.

Alagui is without doubt the most physical and best in the air of all our strikers. Would be interesting to see the ratio of crosses to headers we win in the box with and without him in the team.

I personally cant wait until he's back. With him in the team it gives opposing teams something else to worry about, could free up space in the penalty box for someone else when defenders try to double up either stopping the cross or marking Alagui.

#FromTheCapital
20-09-2015, 10:18 AM
What's actually wrong with him? And does anyone have a rough idea when he'll be back?

Alex Trager
20-09-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree, there is no way to tell if Farid will ever be good enough again to make the team.
I think people are just hoping for something to solve our ongoing goal scoring problem.

Sevco are currently scoring 3.42 per game compared to our 1.33 per game. Until that gap closes we have no chance of catching them.
Our goal scoring problems have actually got worse since last season where we managed 1.94 goals per game but that was still way short of the Yams 2.66
Stubbs needs to find a solution to this problem soon or result like the Falkirk semi or the play off results against Sevco are likely to repeat themselves.
I doubt Farid is the answer but I can see why people are thinking he might be.

The difference between this season and last is th amount we are conceding per game.

You have to take that into account.

highland hibbee
20-09-2015, 11:10 AM
The difference between this season and last is th amount we are conceding per game.

fair point, and if we win every game between now and the end of the season then we will win the League ( and the cups lol ) Problems we have had before is having to score 2 or more to negate the goal(s) we shoddily gave away.

Scooter
20-09-2015, 11:14 AM
While we should be scoring more i think not having Scott Allan isn't helping on that front

Ronniekirk
20-09-2015, 11:32 AM
What's actually wrong with him? And does anyone have a rough idea when he'll be back?

Sure I read on another thread he played in a game between development team and younger players this week, don't know if the game was played just to see how he did ,but he is back training and I think the honest answer is no one knows if he will get back to full fitness and the form he showed in that game against hearts where his overall play and goal were great.

Thecat23
20-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Farid is a completely different type of striker though. He holds it up and win just about every header, something Jason and Dom don't do. For me id play Keatings and Farid or Cummings and Farid. But he must earn his place first when fit.

Baldy Foghorn
20-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Nothing to do with him being a messiah IMO.

We have lots of the ball, teams tend to shut up shop down the middle, so we work the ball into wide area's often and put crosses into the box for nobody to header.

Alagui is without doubt the most physical and best in the air of all our strikers. Would be interesting to see the ratio of crosses to headers we win in the box with and without him in the team.

I personally cant wait until he's back. With him in the team it gives opposing teams something else to worry about, could free up space in the penalty box for someone else when defenders try to double up either stopping the cross or marking Alagui.

Yip me too, I thought he was great before he got his injury......Only hope he returns the same player..............

J-C
20-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Apart from the petrofac cup ( freaky one off ), we've conceded 3 goals in 8 games, I don't get your logic???

Ozyhibby
20-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Apart from the petrofac cup ( freaky one off ), we've conceded 3 goals in 8 games, I don't get your logic???

I think he is saying that our defence is good. Which is just as well because any goal we lose is likely to lead to dropped points.

J-C
20-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I think he is saying that our defence is good. Which is just as well because any goal we lose is likely to lead to dropped points.

Is he, didn't look like that :confused:

I see what you mean and it's why Stubbs has so many strikers at the club. Farid was expected back this season but obviously there are more serious problems than we all thought, Malonga and Cummings are both very inconsistent, yes they scored well last year but also missed a hell of a lot of chances too, goal to shot ratio is very poor.

Feruz is not an out and out striker, Anier isn't fit, Boyle is a winger who can play up top, it all looks a bit desperate at the moment.

Maybe that's why he's having a wee look at Deek to see if he can offer something.

NAE NOOKIE
20-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Yesterday according to what I hear we missed at least one 'sitter' and its not the first time this season ... if Livvi had managed an equaliser this debate would be a lot more feisty I'm guessing.

I think the point about Farid isn't so much should he get back into the team, but more like why shouldn't he? At the moment we have nobody up front who is making a case for automatic inclusion ... not when you have a clutch of forwards who each seem to need 5 chances to score one goal .... Keating scored a beauty on his full debut and then gets injured, so the jury is still out on him.

Having a look at Deek is starting to look like worth doing ... when you have 70% possession in most games your forwards don't so much need pace as they need the ability to put the ball in the net .... Riordan was never quick, but if his mind is still as sharp as it was I would put money on him outscoring any of our current forwards. That was always the thing with Deek ..... East of Scotland league pace, Champions league ability.

jacomo
20-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Really?

Who said he's the messiah?

Humo
20-09-2015, 02:33 PM
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Humo
20-09-2015, 02:36 PM
I'd love to see big farid up front with Cummings and keatings either side of him, they'd be scoring for fun!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
20-09-2015, 02:49 PM
How come everyone is overlooking Feruz? I think he's been brought here to play games, that's what I hope anyway, as he's a very decent player to have!

ekhibee
20-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Can't help thinking that most of the talk of El Alagui is as a result of the current team not killing off opposing teams. He looked decent when he was playing for us initially, then he was injured for ages and when he came back he was alright, no more than that. Not his fault he was injured obviously, I'm just not sure he's as significant a loss as some people on here are making out, although I agree he does give us a different option up front. For me a major part of the problem is the poor quality of crossing and passing to strikers. Any of the strikers we have should put away good crosses into the box most of the time. Just my opinion.

silverhibee
20-09-2015, 03:07 PM
How come everyone is overlooking Feruz? I think he's been brought here to play games, that's what I hope anyway, as he's a very decent player to have!

You would have thought with him playing in the development game and scoring through the week would have seen him get some game time yesterday, it would seem the manager is overlooking him as well, is there a reason for this, another story in the papers about the lad today.

Iain G
20-09-2015, 03:12 PM
You would have thought with him playing in the development game and scoring through the week would have seen him get some game time yesterday, it would seem the manager is overlooking him as well, is there a reason for this, another story in the papers about the lad today.

Or did he just think Boyle was a better option?! Lets not go seeing things that arent there, the weegie press are doing a good enough job of that without us wading in too!!

I think our forward problem is unlucky due to the injuries our forward players have picked up. Keatings will finish off chances, he is pretty proven at this level.

Brightside
20-09-2015, 03:42 PM

You;ve not been watching King Dom for the last few weeks then.

Smartie
20-09-2015, 04:00 PM
You;ve not been watching King Dom for the last few weeks then.

The only thing regal about "King" Dom yesterday was that he royally ****ed up the first half sitter that was put on a plate for him.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2015, 04:37 PM
How many games has Farid actually played for us to be acclaimed the new messiah if he ever gets fit?

I saw his performance against Hearts when we beat them 2-0, and it was as good a centre forward display as i have seen in years, maybe since Mixu?

Then the week after against Falkirk, he was the new Joe Ward, couldnt trap a bag of cement or pass water. I hope the player we saw against Hearts comes back, we could do with his type of style for the others to play off.

hibbybrian
20-09-2015, 04:42 PM
How many games has Farid actually played for us to be acclaimed the new messiah if he ever gets fit?

I saw his performance against Hearts when we beat them 2-0, and it was as good a centre forward display as i have seen in years, maybe since Mixu?

Then the week after against Falkirk, he was the new Joe Ward, couldnt trap a bag of cement or pass water. I hope the player we saw against Hearts comes back, we could do with his type of style for the others to play off.

Oh G just no, no,no ......... :grr::tsk tsk: :greengrin

Hamish
20-09-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm totally guessing here but could it be that Dom feels a wee bit miffed?. He has averaged a goal every 2 games and then sees Keatings and Anier brought in, with Keatings and Cummings appearing to be the first choice strike force. I am not making excuses but this lack of game time has led to a distinct lack of confidence.?

J-C
20-09-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm totally guessing here but could it be that Dom feels a wee bit miffed?. He has averaged a goal every 2 games and then sees Keatings and Anier brought in, with Keatings and Cummings appearing to be the first choice strike force. I am not making excuses but this lack of game time has led to a distinct lack of confidence.?

Tough titties, we play with 2 strikers and this is called competition, if he isn't up for that, then he's no good to us.

eastmainsmsh
20-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Shame for farid as he hasn't got going through injury etc

Hamish
20-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Tough titties, we play with 2 strikers and this is called competition, if he isn't up for that, then he's no good to us.

I'm not disagreeing with you JC, just trying to play devils advocate.

J-C
20-09-2015, 05:47 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you JC, just trying to play devils advocate.

Maybe AS has seen this in Malonga, wasn't chosen prior to this weekend, even his demeanour on the pitch looks lacklustre.

Ozyhibby
20-09-2015, 06:01 PM

A goal every two games is not enough in this league.

bigwheel
20-09-2015, 06:04 PM

That would be 20 goals a season including cup games. More than sufficient

Iggy Pope
20-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Are you looking for a goal or a game or 1.5 game striker? Has any side had that in this league? Who was he?

J-C
20-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Are you looking for a goal or a game or 1.5 game striker? Has any side had that in this league? Who was he?

Erm, I give you Martyn Waghorn 7 games and 8 goals, that's what we are looking for.

B.H.F.C
20-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Erm, I give you Martyn Waghorn 7 games and 8 goals, that's what we are looking for.

And about 6 penalties. Granted, they still need to be scored but it doesn't half help.

Malonga and Cummings had decent enough ratios last year, both one in two or better I think, but nobody else chipped in to help them enough.

Hearts won the league without anybody reaching 20 goals last year but they had plenty players scoring regularly from all over the park. That's what we need to do because even at this level, our wages won't attract someone that's going to score 30 odd goals or something.

All that said, I'm a bit worried about our strikers this year. Fitness wise as much as anything.

portycabbage
20-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Most of waghorn's goals were penalties, and I think he's had more starts than Malonga.

Jack Hackett
20-09-2015, 07:57 PM

He has played in 9 league games in over a year, scoring 3 goals in those games. Much as I'd like to have the faith others have, he is not the messiah, just another injury prone player, at which Hibs seem to excel in employing

Billy Whizz
20-09-2015, 08:12 PM
He has played in 9 league games in over a year, scoring 3 goals in those games. Much as I'd like to have the faith others have, he is not the messiah, just another injury prone player, at which Hibs seem to excel in employing

He got a serious injury playing for Hibs, not sure he could do much about that

Jack Hackett
20-09-2015, 08:18 PM
He got a serious injury playing for Hibs, not sure he could do much about that

Don't mind me Billy. I get frustrated when someone who looks like he could help us kick on, inevitably ends up spending a large amount of his contract on the treatment table. It's a Hibs curse

greenlex
20-09-2015, 09:43 PM
I get the feeling we won't see Farid play for the first team again. He might struggle to even make the development team before his contract is up. No info or anything just a gut feeling.

Ozyhibby
20-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Most of waghorn's goals were penalties, and I think he's had more starts than Malonga.

Penalties still have to be won. Our forwards don't look like troubling defender into making a rash challenge.

portycabbage
20-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Penalties still have to be won. Our forwards don't look like troubling defender into making a rash challenge.

I'm sure how many penalties Waghorn won himself, although he still has to score them I suppose. But if Malonga had had 6 penalty attempts this season, he'd have a better goal average too.

I think we probably should have had penalties on some occasions this season, although you may have a point about our forwards not winning enough of them.

MWHIBBIES
20-09-2015, 11:10 PM
He has played in 9 league games in over a year, scoring 3 goals in those games. Much as I'd like to have the faith others have, he is not the messiah, just another injury prone player, at which Hibs seem to excel in employingGetting 2 serious injuries doesn't make you injury prone. Fair enough if he had multiple minor setbacks every time he was close to a return but that hasn't been the case. Especially considering the first one was because of that shameful excuse for a park at Alloa.

J-C
21-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Getting 2 serious injuries doesn't make you injury prone. Fair enough if he had multiple minor setbacks every time he was close to a return but that hasn't been the case. Especially considering the first one was because of that shameful excuse for a park at Alloa.

Farid has played 191 games since 2005 ( seems to have been a late starter in the game ) that's averaging 19 games per season, not great stats, his goals to games ratio has been excellent wherever he's been but 2010-12 where his only real decent seasons playing regular football. He had a serious knee injury at Brentford and his achilles with us, I'm led to believe it's his knee that is causing concern again.

Alex Trager
22-09-2015, 11:54 AM
When is farid due back?
It's nearly October and he's not played a game for even the under 21s

You've got to wonder what the deal is

J-C
22-09-2015, 12:56 PM
When is farid due back?
It's nearly October and he's not played a game for even the under 21s

You've got to wonder what the deal is

Everytime we hear something it's always a couple of weeks away.

Brightside
22-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Its a couple of weeks away.

Ozyhibby
22-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I think there is a less than 50/50 chance he will play for us again.

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I think there is a less than 50/50 chance he will play for us again.

I reckon there's a 50% chance you could be right.

Ozyhibby
22-09-2015, 03:58 PM
I reckon there's a 50% chance you could be right.

That beats my average so I'll take it. :-)

SteveHFC
22-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Its a couple of weeks away.

If he hasn't played by the time January comes around then i would just let him go and pay off the rest of his contract.

paul_hfc3
22-09-2015, 04:24 PM
If he hasn't played by the time January comes around then i would just let him go and pay off the rest of his contract.

No don't chuck him away!! I think there is a real football talent he's got as a striker.

Lago
22-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Have a doubt if he will be back, weather is getting colder and wetter grounds getting heavier all goes against someone with a problem knee.

WoreTheGreen
22-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Have a doubt if he will be back, weather is getting colder and wetter grounds getting heavier all goes against someone with a problem knee. Hate to be negative but heard from a good source knee problem career threatning hope to be wrong

bigwheel
22-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Hate to be negative but heard from a good source knee problem career threatning hope to be wrong

apparently he played for the U17s in a bounce game on Saturday against the U20s at EM.....didn't hear how he felt afterwards.

IanM
30-09-2015, 05:48 PM
From today

@HibsNews1875: Farid El Alagui played 60 minutes and scored in a bounce match v Dundee. Jamie Insall also played 60 minutes.

wee Stevie
30-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Hopefully not too far away from a first team appearance.

Alfred E Newman
30-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Hopefully not too far away from a first team appearance.

A couple of weeks . ( if he doesn't have any set backs) :worried:

patch1875
30-09-2015, 07:14 PM
A couple of weeks . ( if he doesn't have any set backs) :worried:

Heard it was a fortnight.

Brooster
30-09-2015, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Cole played, or indeed if he is still with us. I know he was at EM last week.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2015, 07:30 PM
I wonder if Cole played, or indeed if he is still with us. I know he was at EM last week.

Cole?

Andy?

Brooster
30-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Cole?

Andy?

Carlton Cole's brother.