PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Kids into football

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Not sure in the main forum is the best place for this but.........

I want to start introducing my kids into football but not sure what is the best way to do it. i remember being pushed into it as a kid and fell out of love for the game most of my childhood. Dont want to put my kids through the same thing.

is there a good technique some of you could share that work of ideas that would work

cheers.

TCK

lord bunberry
18-09-2015, 12:00 PM

I want to start introducing my kids into football but not sure what is the best way to do it. i remember being pushed into it as a kid and fell out of love for the game most of my childhood. Dont want to put my kids through the same thing.

is there a good technique some of you could share that work of ideas that would work

cheers.

TCK

I used the bribery tactic and still do.

Brightside
18-09-2015, 01:34 PM
I used the bribery tactic and still do.

Yep - buy them sweets.

PatHead
18-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Phone Terry Butcher, ask for advice and do the opposite.

Seriously what age are your kids and do you mean watch or play?

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-09-2015, 02:35 PM

well my daughter is 3 and my son is 1 so not going to have them playing 5 a side just yet but i want to plan for the future and involve them into football in a way that they will enjoy playing the game and not feel its a chore!

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-09-2015, 02:37 PM

i'll phone jim duffy first then get have a meeting with butcher! :faf:

Brightside
18-09-2015, 02:47 PM
well my daughter is 3 and my son is 1 so not going to have them playing 5 a side just yet but i want to plan for the future and involve them into football in a way that they will enjoy playing the game and not feel its a chore!

ball - back garden - wall. job done. If they want to kick and can do so without falling over then youve passed the first hurdle.

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-09-2015, 02:49 PM
ball - back garden - wall. job done. If they want to kick and can do so without falling over then youve passed the first hurdle.

so far so good :aok:

Mr White
18-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Some of the soccer tots and 3v2 classes sound good. Haven't got round to it with my eldest yet but going to look into it next year I think.

NAE NOOKIE
18-09-2015, 03:16 PM
If you want to get them into going to ER spend a few years making it sound like the best thing in the world and then refuse to take them. After you have waited long enough take them to a game ( under the lights ) where the crowd is at least 14,000 and Hibs come back from 2 - 0 down to win with a last minute 20 yarder. Job done.

Hibrandenburg
18-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I let things take their natural course. My six year has just enlisted in the local football team. The training is a joy to watch, mainly because of the bar in the clubhouse and bratwurst grill next to it. Seriously though, he started getting interested about six months ago but I held off for a couple of months just to get him frothing at the mouth. Worked a treat and I don't think there's any going back now.

Argylehibby
19-09-2015, 09:08 AM

cheers.

TCK

Tell them they have two choices,

1. Going to the football with dad, maybe via the pub. Sweets on route, juice + Food at the game
or
2. Plod round the shops wi mum help put the shopping away and maybe vist the grandparents.

No brainier for them surely.

Nameless
19-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Mine is 4. Took him to a match last season and left at half time. This season we stayed for 60 mins. We might go to another game after Christmas, then that is it for this season. Next season we will try for the full 90. Just now it is an occasional treat, so he still enjoys it. If I was taking him regularly he'd be off it by now.

Planet Hibs
19-09-2015, 10:09 AM
My lad was 5 before getting interested, then 6 before wanting to go to every game, plays for boys club now and absolutely loves football. I just let him get on with it as long as enjoying, though frustrating part now is keeping a lid on it when I hear some of the utter gash that comes out parents mouths at the sidelines. Thankfully more good guys than bad watch and can appreciate its only kids playing!

EH6 Hibby
19-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Having football on the tv regularly had my son wanting to kick a ball pretty much as soon as he could walk.

I would recommend taking the kids along to watch football fours or something similar where the really young kids are playing, my sons nursery was on Leith Links so from about 2 onwards he wanted to play with the kids that were training there. I had three years of telling him he wasn't old enough so when he finally got to start playing he was really excited. He's now 11 and still football daft, plays for the school on a Saturday and Leith Athletic on a Sunday and has a season ticket for Easter road.

Tha Cabbage Kid
19-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Having football on the tv regularly had my son wanting to kick a ball pretty much as soon as he could walk.

I would recommend taking the kids along to watch football fours or something similar where the really young kids are playing, my sons nursery was on Leith Links so from about 2 onwards he wanted to play with the kids that were training there. I had three years of telling him he wasn't old enough so when he finally got to start playing he was really excited. He's now 11 and still football daft, plays for the school on a Saturday and Leith Athletic on a Sunday and has a season ticket for Easter road.
Sounds like a good option. But i suppose generally between 4 and 5 is a good time to start?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

liamh2202
19-09-2015, 12:26 PM
I started taking the wee man to games when he was 2 and he has loved it ever since. On a playing side of things , he started at boys club when he was five but one session he got moved up to the older group because the coach thought it would suit him betyer and it scunnered him. He only now (about to turn 7) has started mentioning about wanting to go back. I think its important to take things as they come and don't force them into anything

jacomo
21-09-2015, 04:31 PM
I started taking the wee man to games when he was 2 and he has loved it ever since. On a playing side of things , he started at boys club when he was five but one session he got moved up to the older group because the coach thought it would suit him betyer and it scunnered him. He only now (about to turn 7) has started mentioning about wanting to go back. I think its important to take things as they come and don't force them into anything

:agree:

I found getting to ER early so they could meet Leith Lynx and 'investigate' helped - also be prepared that you might have to miss some of the game / leave early.

Also, make sure Hibs spank the other team... that will definitely help! :wink:

greenlex
21-09-2015, 05:06 PM
A ball and let them kick it about the garden. Kick it about with them too. They will soon get hooked enough. Watch games together on the TV. (There's enough of them these days.) then once they're hooked it's down to ER with them. A love affair that will last a lifetime.