PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Johnstone

Jim44
17-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Travelling in to Selkirk today, I passed a street called Bobby Johnstone Green, named after our very own. It must have been a great honour to have a street in his hometown named after him. As a very young kid, I have vague memories of my dad taking me to see the Famous Five in action.

Kato
17-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Travelling in to Selkirk today, I passed a street called Bobby Johnstone Green, named after our very own. It must have been a great honour to have a street in his hometown named after him. As a very young kid, I have vague memories of my dad taking me to see the Famous Five in action.

Did you see Johnstone when he came back Jim?

Jim44
17-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Did you see Johnstone when he came back Jim?

I don't remember seeing much of him when he returned as my dad was working at sea and my visits to ER were few and far between then. My uncle was a real Jambo and took me and my cousin to Tynecastle a lot. It had no effect on my alegiance to Hibs tho'. :greengrin

Forza Fred
18-09-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't remember seeing much of him when he returned as my dad was working at sea and my visits to ER were few and far between then. My uncle was a real Jambo and took me and my cousin to Tynecastle a lot. It had no effect on my alegiance to Hibs tho'. :greengrin

I remember him playing on his return at Easter Road.....can't remember who we were playing, but have the score 3-1 stuck in my mind.

No doubt there will be someone along soon to tell me that's all nonsense!

Kato
18-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Just wondering if anyone was there when he spewed up on the park but went on to rip the opposition apart. Enjoyed a peeve by all reputes.

Dan Sarf
18-09-2015, 11:30 AM
I missed out on seeing Bobby as part of the Famous Five though watched the Famous Four regularly (and, of course, the Terrible Trio whom we didn't hate as much in those days). But I did see Bobby when he came home. He was so tubby, he could hardly make it to the centre circle but, once the ball was at his feet... magic ensued! Young Joe Baker would set off like a rocket towards the opposing goal. Bobby would glance up, caress the ball, it would fly past the dumbfounded defenders to land on Joe's toe, ready to be buried in the back of the net. Which, of course, Joe did with thrilling regularity. Those were the days, I tell you. Those were the days. ***Performs hacking cough, stubs out few remaining shreds of cigarette before it burns him, sups from pint glass, realises it's empty, looks round bar hopefully...**

CapitalHibs
18-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I remember him playing on his return at Easter Road.....can't remember who we were playing, but have the score 3-1 stuck in my mind.

No doubt there will be someone along soon to tell me that's all nonsense!

4-2 against Killie with John Baxter cracking in 2 20 yard free kicks. Remember a couple of defense splitting back heels from Bobbie that earned stand up applause from the Main Stand

Iggy Pope
18-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Was well thought of at Manchester City too. I went to a game at Maine Road (v Gillingham during their decline....) and was delighted to see one of the concourse bars named after him.
Long gone now of course.

Mr White
18-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Was well thought of at Manchester City too. I went to a game at Maine Road (v Gillingham during their decline....) and was delighted to see one of the concourse bars named after him.
Long gone now of course.

Johnstone's biography is written by a city fan. Seems he was a cult figure there and at Oldham. First player to score in consecutive fa cup finals.

Big L
18-09-2015, 08:07 PM
He was exactly what Joe Baker required, slde rule pass and Joe was off, he had amazing pace!

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Johnstone's biography is written by a city fan. Seems he was a cult figure there and at Oldham. First player to score in consecutive fa cup finals.

Yes I seem to remember him writing something a bit "offside" in the first few opening pages. It made me pause. But then I do have a habit of picking up and putting down several books at a time ;) Out of Eddie's, Lawrie's and Gordon Smith's son's book I think I enjoyed Peter's the most although all were good in different ways.

ACLeith
18-09-2015, 08:21 PM

A mate is an Oldham fan and he told me his grandad thought BJ was the best player he had ever seen play for them, even though he was at the tail end of his career.

I also saw the famous four and then BJ when he came back but was too young to appreciate what I was seeing.

Mr White
18-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Yes I seem to remember him writing something a bit "offside" in the first few opening pages. It made me pause. But then I do have a habit of picking up and putting down several books at a time ;) Out of Eddie's, Lawrie's and Gordon Smith's son's book I think I enjoyed Peter's the most although all were good in different ways.
Worth going back to if it remains unread I. The passing of an age subtitle is an interesting theme in the book in that johnstone retired at a time when the game was changing and earnings for players were about to change big time along with other dynamics of football.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Got a signed copy off the author. He had nice things to say about the Cabbage too.

Mr White
18-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Got a signed copy off the author. He had nice things to say about the Cabbage too.

Had a feeling when posting the above that I was likely preaching to the choir :greengrin