PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O'Rourke Happy Birthday!

Forza Fred
17-09-2015, 08:24 PM
It is the morning of the 18th September where I am, and that makes it the birthday of one of our legends.

Jimmy was the prince of goal scorers, and bled, and still bleeds green.

A few years ago I had the honour to help host Jimmy and his wife Anne, on a tour of Australia, and he was the perfect ambassador for Hibernian F C.

Enjoy your day Jimmy, and the vegemite is on it's way!

Oh for your likes in a green jersey these days.....

brog
17-09-2015, 09:50 PM
And Jimmy scored 2 on his 19th birthday at PBS as we won 4 0 with all goals in first 10 mins. My pal & my hero!

Soldiersteve
17-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy!
We will never forget your goals at Tynecastle on NYD when........The final score was 7 Nil, Bye Bye Jamtarts!

O'Rourke3
17-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Hopefully not too late. Happy Birthday Jimmy!

greenginger
17-09-2015, 10:47 PM
And Jimmy scored 2 on his 19th birthday at PBS as we won 4 0 with all goals in first 10 mins. My pal & my hero!

And Eric Stevenson who scored the other two deserves a mention as well. :thumbsup:

Stantons Angel
17-09-2015, 10:53 PM
A very Hibbie birthday Jimmy stiII a Hibs hero to this day!

PatHead
17-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Happy birthday Jimmy.

Forza Fred
18-09-2015, 02:34 AM

And there was me thinking I was your footballing hero Brian.....:greengrin

Seriously, Jimmy was my all time favourite Hibs player, And I am fortunate enough to be able to say I was present when he played his first game for Hibs (Utrecht at Easter Road) and also when he last appeared...against Dundee in a 0-3 midweek cup loss.

When I have people round my house in Sydney, I still can't help but tell them....."jimmy O'Rourke sat in that chair....."

oneone73
18-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Happy birthday Jimmy. My all-time favourite Hibs player too.
All together now: Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke,
everyone knows his name ...

Good times.

brog
18-09-2015, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;4467522]And there was me thinking I was your footballing hero Brian.....:greengrin

Seriously, Jimmy was my all time favourite Hibs player, And I am fortunate enough to be able to say I was present when he played his first game for Hibs (Utrecht at Easter Road) and also when he last appeared...against Dundee in a 0-3 midweek cup loss.

When I have people round my house in Sydney, I still can't help but tell them....."jimmy O'Rourke sat in that chair....."[/QUOT

It was a tough call Freddy! 50 years ago today Jimmy was a late replacement for Neil Martin & smacked in 2 20 yard bullets! As GG says another great Hibby, Eric S scored the other 2!

greenginger
18-09-2015, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;4467522]And there was me thinking I was your footballing hero Brian.....:greengrin

When I have people round my house in Sydney, I still can't help but tell them....."jimmy O'Rourke sat in that chair....."[/QUOT

It was a tough call Freddy! 50 years ago today Jimmy was a late replacement for Neil Martin & smacked in 2 20 yard bullets! As GG says another great Hibby, Eric S scored the .other 2!

Remember Jimmys goals like they were yesterday. First bottom right corner, second top left corner . :greengrin

Roxyhibee
18-09-2015, 08:09 AM
One of my great Hibby heroes.

Gave me, my dad, uncles and mates so much pleasure over those years watching his super sharp skills in a Hibs jersey. He must have been a nightmare to defend against.

Always a real gentleman when you speak to him as a fan too.

Happy birthday Jimmy. And many happy returns.

Tom Hart RIP
18-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Jimmy and Alan Gordon were the best partnership I have ever seen.
Met him plenty times when he had the Corrie Inn and he always had time for a blethering.
Spoke to him briefly recently at the Hibs Club when he did a q&a for St Pats. Brilliant night

Biggie
18-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Jimmy and Alan Gordon were the best partnership I have ever seen.
Met him plenty times when he had the Corrie Inn and he always had time for a blethering.
Spoke to him briefly recently at the Hibs Club when he did a q&a for St Pats. Brilliant night

Jimmy and Alan Gordon were a great front two......met Jimmy a few times, and he's a top bloke.
Happy birthday to a hibbie who lived the dream....

Forza Fred
18-09-2015, 09:33 AM

It was a tough call Freddy! 50 years ago today Jimmy was a late replacement for Neil Martin & smacked in 2 20 yard bullets! As GG says another great Hibby, Eric S scored the other 2!

I was at that game too.......still remember Jimmy with the bandaged head....

heretoday
18-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Everyone knows his name!

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-09-2015, 12:26 PM
HB to an absolute legend.

gbhibby
18-09-2015, 01:59 PM
[May still be the only player to score back to back hat-tricks against two different teams in Europe.

HB to a Clermiston legend.

archiebald
18-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Happy birthday Jimmy....brought me so much joy

iwasthere1972
18-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. Thanks for the great goals and memories.

One of my all time favourite Hibs players.

Big L
18-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Dropped my dad and his mate, who was a jambo off in gorgie, his mate gave me what looked like a cloakroom ticket and said "here, ye'll get in wi that" parked the car at Robbie ave, ran all the way to mcleod st got in tae the ground put my foot on the top step in the stand and Jimmy rammed the first one in, I let out a roar, only tae find myself in the jambos centre stand! I watched the first half skulking on the staircase, the place was empty at half time, plenty seats!!!

Big L
18-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Does anyone remember the free kick he scored against his cousin who was in goal for Falkirk, the ref made Jimmy take it again and he rammed in the exact same place, what a striker of the ball and what a partnership he had with big Alan Gordon.

Jonnyboy
18-09-2015, 06:23 PM
And there was me thinking I was your footballing hero Brian.....:greengrin

When I have people round my house in Sydney, I still can't help but tell them....."jimmy O'Rourke sat in that chair....."

Worth remembering too that Jimmy was only 16 years old!

Happy Birthday Rourkey :aok:

snooky
18-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Happy birthday, "Zorro" :wink:

:not worth:not worth:not worth

BSEJVT
18-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy

Great player and great Hibs man

What a forward line O'Rourke Gordon & the often overlooked Duncan

Over a 100 goals between them in a season.

Oh for the days when we challenged at the top of the league and feared no-one in Europe!

GGTTH

Lucius Apuleius
18-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Used to drink with a guy in Singapore who always told me he signed for Hibs the same day as Jimmy, as a goalkeeper, but never made it and never played for the first team. Guy called Tam Devlin. Great guy and see no reason why he won't lie.
Secondly, anybody remember the April fools a few years ago that said we were in for his son who was born in Brazil, Ronald, commonly called Ronald O?

Forza Fred
18-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Used to drink with a guy in Singapore who always told me he signed for Hibs the same day as Jimmy, as a goalkeeper, but never made it and never played for the first team. Guy called Tam Devlin. Great guy and see no reason why he won't lie.
Secondly, anybody remember the April fools a few years ago that said we were in for his son who was born in Brazil, Ronald, commonly called Ronald O?

Dunno of a Tam Devlin but Jimmy had cousins called Devlin.

In fact one was the Falkirk goalie, Denis Devlin, whom is referred to in an earlier post when the story is recounted about Jimmy taking a free kick.

jabis
19-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Happy birthday Jim.
Used to play against his pub cricket team,great fun.
Snotty guy walking past us with his dog looked at the crates of beer.
"If there's any mess I'll phone the police"
Jimmy "if there's any dog**** on the pitch,I'll kick your dogs arse"
😁

emerald green
20-09-2015, 12:28 PM

I was behind the goal where those four goals went in that day. Always wondered why Hibs took the foot off the gas because it could have been more than 0-4. A lot more IMO.

It was a long time ago mind. Maybe Hertz just decided to shut up shop and avoid losing by a far bigger scoreline and save themselves being embarrassed even further?

A happy day. Jimmy was a Hibs great. Played for the jersey.

brog
20-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I did call Jim on his birthday to wish him well & he was delighted to hear about this thread. He's now off to Tenerife IIRC for a wee break. I could probably tell a Jim O story for every day of the year but one of my favs was when he went to ET & complained he kept making runs only to find Pat, Mickey & Brownlie were still playing the ball in triangles. Eddie says to Jim, "how many goals have you scored this season"? ( this was Dec). 24, says Jim. Ah well son says ET, you just keep making these f****** runs!!

Cheshire Hibby
20-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy

Oh for the days when we challenged at the top of the league and feared no-one in Europe!

GGTTH

Great team and great memories. Happy birthday Jimmy. Everyone knew your name.

brog
20-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy

GGTTH

You're spot on! At 5pm on Jan 1 1973, Jimmy, Alan & Arthur had already scored a total of 78 goals! Astonishing!