PDA

View Full Version : Development team v Hamilton

offshorehibby
16-09-2015, 05:56 PM
HALF-TIME: Hamilton Academical Development Squad 0 #Hibs Development Squad 0

Development Squad starting line-up: Brennan, Dunsmore, Forster, D. McGregor, Donaldson, Watson, Martin, Stanton, Duthie, Feruz, Shaw

substitutes: Clements, J. McGregor, Stirling, Waugh, Scott, Breen, Murray

IanM
16-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Feruz scores first but Hamilton equalise just after

offshorehibby
16-09-2015, 06:10 PM
2-1 Hamilton

Onceinawhile
16-09-2015, 06:17 PM
For goodness sake. Only a few days after Corbyn is elected as president and we're being forced to field develop Islam at the expense of a player eligible for our country.

Sickening.

;)

Ozyhibby
16-09-2015, 06:17 PM
No Insall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
16-09-2015, 06:18 PM
No Insall?

There's probably roughly 44.

silverhibee
16-09-2015, 06:42 PM
No Insall?

Or Anier, surely must need the match fitness. Unless...

Ryan69
16-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Or Anier, surely must need the match fitness. Unless...

Strange thing is he was with Estonia team last week. So you would expect he is match fit

offshorehibby
16-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Strange thing is he was with Estonia team last week. So you would expect he is match fit

Did he not come home early from international duty.

FT 2-1

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Bring back James McDonaugh :greengrin

monktonharp
16-09-2015, 10:57 PM
ok to laugh, I suppose but surely a win is what is needed against the 2nd string of a lower SPL team? we know where we are , but have more of a budget than the likes of the club that just beat us, naw?

Twiglet
16-09-2015, 11:15 PM
ok to laugh, I suppose but surely a win is what is needed against the 2nd string of a lower SPL team? we know where we are , but have more of a budget than the likes of the club that just beat us, naw?

We have quite a young under 20s side this season (though I see we did play 3 over age players tonight), there's a few 17 year olds, and some players coming from the age group below to play in the 20s too. We're also missing Jordan Sinclair (dislocated shoulder) as well as Conner Duthie and Lewis Allan who were regulars last season. Don't know what's happened to Callum Crane though.

Mikey09
16-09-2015, 11:30 PM

Hamilton have a very good young side. Don't let them fool you just cause they're not a fashionable side so to speak.

Brightside
17-09-2015, 06:21 AM

These games are about development not winning.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2015, 06:26 AM
We have quite a young under 20s side this season (though I see we did play 3 over age players tonight), there's a few 17 year olds, and some players coming from the age group below to play in the 20s too. We're also missing Jordan Sinclair (dislocated shoulder) as well as Conner Duthie and Lewis Allan who were regulars last season. Don't know what's happened to Callum Crane though.

Think Calum broke his metatarsal against Celtic a few weeks ago

S4uzee
17-09-2015, 06:55 AM

Which is wrong in a way. It should be built into the youth players to win every game to get that winning mentality. McGeouch said that as a youth at Celtic they were expected to win every game

DH1875
17-09-2015, 07:04 AM

Not for me. Its alright for kids football but by this stage win, win, win should be getting built into them everyday.

woodythehibee
17-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Not for me. Its alright for kids football but by this stage win, win, win should be getting built into them everyday.
Agree to some extent but we have had winning sides in the past at this level with nobody really being ready at first team level afterwards i.e Sammy, Boozy, Ross Caldwell.

U20s should be about developing their game and body so that they are better prepared for the step up.

Footballers should naturally have that winning mentality anyways.

Ronniekirk
17-09-2015, 07:54 AM
I understand that we have younger players in the team and that development is a key part of the process. But I had commented on another thread about the fact we had gone from winning games at this level to losing most of them now and wondered what the reasons we're ,which has partly been explained .
But a bit of me thinks it can't be that great Turning out week in and week out ,and getting beat .and at some point you would think that could start to impact on squad morale ,and isn't great for confidence .
However we had the hoodo over hearts at this and other younger age groups for a while and very few of those players broke through into first team So be interesting to see how this crop fairs over the next three to four years .

PeterboroHibee
17-09-2015, 07:57 AM

How important is winning for those teams though? Weve had very successful youth teams in the recent past, yet the first team hasnt really had any benefit from that. I think how the team is performing is irrelevant if we are bringing through 1 or 2 players of a higher standard than before.

Golden Bear
17-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Which is wrong in a way. It should be built into the youth players to win every game to get that winning mentality. McGeouch said that as a youth at Celtic they were expected to win every game

Absolutely correct.

Brightside
17-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Absolutely correct.

Its not...its about developing individual players so they can make the step up to the full squad. Oli Shaw, Scott Martin, Dunsmore. If the individuals improve enough to step up then the dev team has worked, and it really doesnt matter if they lose every single game.

Should players want to win games....of course they should. But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.

Andy74
17-09-2015, 08:58 AM

Yes and no, obviously winning menataility is important, however, development games and the set up are to ensure players are ready for the first team. That might mean not winning development games if certain things are being tried or we are playing players that aren't quite fit or sharp enough or possibly aren't going to commit everything because they are trying to be fit enough for the first team.

I know they have a bit of a following in themselves but results are not important at all. We've had decent teams in the past at that level who have gone on to achieve nothing. We need to change the way we ae getting players ready for the first team. If that means results at that level suffer then that doesn't matter at all.

The_Horde
17-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Yes and no, obviously winning menataility is important, however, development games and the set up are to ensure players are ready for the first team. That might mean not winning development games if certain things are being tried or we are playing players that aren't quite fit or sharp enough or possibly aren't going to commit everything because they are trying to be fit enough for the first team.

I know they have a bit of a following in themselves but results are not important at all. We've had decent teams in the past at that level who have gone on to achieve nothing. We need to change the way we ae getting players ready for the first team. If that means results at that level suffer then that doesn't matter at all.

Spot on Andy. I think the way wee Scotty Martin has come in and not looked out of place is a testament to how things are going now, he always seems like he knows where he should be and isn't drawn into the headless chicken style of play that comes with a lot of young players.

J-C
17-09-2015, 09:04 AM

We had a development team a few years back that won the double, where are all those players now?

It's important to get a balance, winning is very important but development is even more so, we've been blessed with a lot of very good players coming through the ranks in recent years, some have looked very good Stanton, Handling and Harris but as we've seen they were not physically ready for the 1st team football.

Ozyhibby
17-09-2015, 09:24 AM
From grass roots level it seems to be win at all costs.Coaches more intrested in winning cups and league's I hear folk saying my ladies team won 12.0 at the weekend are boasting about it.

That's nonsense. Most teams I come across are trying to do things the right way. Until the age of 12 there are no leagues or cups to play for.
After that the Pro clubs have taken the best players away anyway. Do you want the rest of the lads not to play competitively even though they are outside the system? Playing for a team in a league, trying to win each week, playing for cups etc is a great way to spend your youth.

oconnors_strip
17-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Duthie played last night as he is on a development loan so can play in our development team

GreenCastle
17-09-2015, 10:45 AM
While I'm not losing any sleep over the development team losing again - the results this season for this team have been poor.

My concern is that not winning games can affect morale and development.

I understand with youth football it's not about winning till around 12 upwards but a competitive mindset has to be installed into these players.

If they aren't developing this mindset then what chance do they have when they are under pressure for the 1st team.

This club has been full of weak mentality the last few years and while maybe only 1 or 2 may make it to the first team out of this group we need a culture of winners.

I just hope the coaches are installing that as they games I've seen the development team play I can't see where our next good youngster is coming from - don't get me started on the lack of good goalies - this should be a priority of the academy as it's been far too long since one was anywhere near the 1st team.

Kato
17-09-2015, 10:57 AM
But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.

If there is a coach alive that can "ensure" a team can win at any level then he's welcome to Stubb's post.

Has anyone thought Hamilton and any other team that had beaten the Development Squad recently proably just deserved to win the game.

We have a young squad there, I'm sure as they 'develop' results will improve.

Golden Bear
17-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Its not...its about developing individual players so they can make the step up to the full squad. Oli Shaw, Scott Martin, Dunsmore. If the individuals improve enough to step up then the dev team has worked, and it really doesnt matter if they lose every single game.

Should players want to win games....of course they should. But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.

The progression of "young" players to the first team has hardly been a success story for a good number of years now and the ones that do make the breakthrough have not been able to impose themselves for any sustainable length of time. They seem to be lacking in confidence and unwilling to take risks.

There's something wrong somewhere I'd suggest.

scoopyboy
17-09-2015, 11:32 AM
The progression of "young" players to the first team has hardly been a success story for a good number of years now and the ones that do make the breakthrough have not been able to impose themselves for any sustainable length of time. They seem to be lacking in confidence and unwilling to take risks.

Imo the scrapping of the reserve league hasn't helped.

For me Development games are ruined by over age players participating.

In my little ideal world the under 20s would be just that and a reserve league would take care of first team players in need of a game and the most promising of the under agers.

We all go on about the "Golden Generation" but every one of them progressed from the under age team to the reserves to the first team.

Blaster
17-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Did Hibs not have a bit of a cull last season in terms of letting some players go who could have played for the development team this season - to allow younger players to get more exposure earlier.

The teams that were successful previously didn't have a great success rate for producing first team regulars

So we've take a hit this season to allow these younger players a better opportunity

Alfred E Newman
17-09-2015, 11:34 AM

There is, and that is probably why we rake the transfer market for bargains during every window. We were told East Mains would provide a " conveyor belt" of young stars . I might be wrong but I don't see much sign of it yet.

Leith_Hibee
17-09-2015, 11:51 AM
so when leanne came in there was going to be an overhaul of the youth system. this has happened. young players now spend quite a bit of time on strength and condition as well as their footballing technique. this will take a few years to have an impact. i recall a statement last year where we are not only going to produce young football players but top athletes.

a gifted player like Sam Stanton has been let down by Hibs on this front, he's now playing catchup on physique against guys of the same age.

CockneyRebel
17-09-2015, 12:52 PM

Think what clubs like Celtic must spend on youth development and then think how many make the grade at that club. IMO the answer lies in the scouting and signing of youngsters and we will always struggle against the bigger clubs with bigger wallets. We have to try and make Hibs as attractive to the youngsters as the bigger clubs. Only a few boys from a few clubs develop into pros from each batch and development varies from boy to boy so it is difficult to know who to keep and who to let go and when. Our youth teams have done pretty well for a good few years but have not kicked on - I am with the guys who would rather get first teamers coming through than winning youth trophies.

bigwheel
17-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Think what clubs like Celtic must spend on youth development and then think how many make the grade at that club. IMO the answer lies in the scouting and signing of youngsters and we will always struggle against the bigger clubs with bigger wallets. We have to try and make Hibs as attractive to the youngsters as the bigger clubs. Only a few boys from a few clubs develop into pros from each batch and development varies from boy to boy so it is difficult to know who to keep and who to let go and when. Our youth teams have done pretty well for a good few years but have not kicked on - I am with the guys who would rather get first teamers coming through than winning youth trophies.

Agreed. Celtic spend more on transfer fees for their youth teams - U17 and below, than we do on our first team...it's a different economic world..

Brightside
17-09-2015, 01:07 PM
I'd expect one per season minimum to make the First team, two would be great, 3 would be exceptional.

oconnors_strip
17-09-2015, 01:27 PM

The Celtic team that beat us 5-0 a few weeks back have developed together and played as the same team since the age of 12/13. Our team had only about 3 players who have came through the ranks together, that definitely played a big factor in losing in my opinion

Billy Whizz
17-09-2015, 04:42 PM
The Celtic team that beat us 5-0 a few weeks back have developed together and played as the same team since the age of 12/13. Our team had only about 3 players who have came through the ranks together, that definitely played a big factor in losing in my opinion

Good point, also the team has a huge number of changes for every game. Must be frustrating for Joe Mcbride trying to get a settled side