PDA

View Full Version : Davis Cup - extra tickets available

Speedy
15-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Extra tickets available. Fairly sporadic now but there none the less.

What's the predictions? Britain 3-2 for me.

Sir David Gray
16-09-2015, 05:55 PM
GB to win 4-1.

Andy Murray will win his two singles rubbers, I think GB will win the doubles and assuming James Ward is the other singles player, I think he'll win at least one rubber.

Sylar
18-09-2015, 12:40 PM
The ticketing was an absolute joke and the British Tennis Federation should be taken to task for how abysmally the whole thing was managed!

Britain to win 3-2 for me :agree:

PatHead
18-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Well that is it underway. Murray 3-2 up in the first set but keeps missing break points (5 so far). All these Grannies with Union wigs and that would do ma head in. Glad I am not there.

PatHead
18-09-2015, 12:50 PM
At last 1st break 4-2 Murray. He is having success on the Aussie's backhand.

PatHead
18-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Murray cutting loose now. 2 breaks up in 2nd set. Looks like only one outcome.

Speedy
18-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Murray strolling this.

Not sure about Evans, can't see him getting a win. What do people make of the decision to drop Ward?

PatHead
18-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Firstly, men against boys in this game.

Strange decision but Ward must be gutted, don't know how he will react, Evans on the other hand..........could be the making of him.

Speedy
18-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Evans playing well but probably more about tiring Tomic than getting a point.

Talk of Murray/Murray in the doubles now.

Sir David Gray
18-09-2015, 05:25 PM
No way Evans was going to beat Tomic.

The tie will be decided tomorrow with the doubles.

I'm surprised Leon Smith picked Evans over James Ward, have they said whether Ward is injured at all?

Speedy
18-09-2015, 07:45 PM
No way Evans was going to beat Tomic.

The tie will be decided tomorrow with the doubles.

I'm surprised Leon Smith picked Evans over James Ward, have they said whether Ward is injured at all?

Form apparently. Sounds like Edmond would have played if he didn't pick up a minor injury.

Expect Andy out in the doubles now and wouldn't be surprised to see a change in the singles.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Aus took the first set.

GB just broke in the second, 4-2 JM to serve.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 01:46 PM
1 set each. We lost a bad break at the start of the third.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 02:24 PM
1 set each. We lost a bad break at the start of the third.

2-1 up. Missed most of that but great comeback from 1-4 to win 6-4.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Anyone else watching? This is brilliant stuff.

2-2, match point saved for Aus.

GB 3-0 up in the 5th.

Edit: 3-2 now, Groth to serve.

Future17
19-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Epic stuff. Nice to see Britain wearing Scottish blue. :wink:

stoneyburn hibs
19-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Easily the most tense game I've watched in a long time. Well done Scotland.

Future17
19-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Unbelievable atmosphere and great scenes. Really nice shot of the Murrays having a quiet moment of acknowledgment together.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Brilliant win. Gutted I decided against going but got tickets for tomorrow so buzzing for that.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Is Murray definitely first on tomorrow?

Do you have until 12 again to confirm whether Evans is selected as second singles?

stoneyburn hibs
Brilliant win. Gutted I decided against going but got tickets for tomorrow so buzzing for that.

Jealous, hopefully you only get to see one game.

stoneyburn hibs

Do you have until 12 again to confirm whether Evans is selected as second singles?

Yes first.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Missed the match today as I was at the Hibs game but it was a great win for GB and it virtually assures GB of a place in the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1978, as I cannot see Bernard Tomic (or any of the other Australian players for that matter) beating Andy Murray tomorrow.

And yes Murray will be on first and yes the captains can change their selections up to one hour prior to the start of play.

In the other semi final, Belgium and Argentina were also tied at 1-1 after day one but Argentina have just won the doubles to go 2-1 up into the final day tomorrow.

If GB play Argentina, they'll be at home in the final whereas they would be away against Belgium so hopefully Argentina can do the business tomorrow and then they can get the final played in Glasgow again and the place would be rocking.

Speedy
19-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Missed the match today as I was at the Hibs game but it was a great win for GB and it virtually assures GB of a place in the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1978, as I cannot see Bernard Tomic (or any of the other Australian players for that matter) beating Andy Murray tomorrow.

And yes Murray will be on first and yes the captains can change their selections up to one hour prior to the start of play.

In the other semi final, Belgium and Argentina were also tied at 1-1 after day one but Argentina have just won the doubles to go 2-1 up into the final day tomorrow.

If GB play Argentina, they'll be at home in the final whereas they would be away against Belgium so hopefully Argentina can do the business tomorrow and then they can get the final played in Glasgow again and the place would be rocking.

I'm in London the weekend of the finals so hoping it may be in the o2. Would be good for it to be Glasgow though based on how successful it's been so far.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm in London the weekend of the finals so hoping it may be in the o2. Would be good for it to be Glasgow though based on how successful it's been so far.

I could see the final being played at the O2 in London but I think it would be a wise decision to hold it in Glasgow.

The O2 will also be hosting the World Tour Finals the week before the Davis Cup final, would they host two tennis events in the space of a few days?

BroxburnHibee
19-09-2015, 10:59 PM
It can't be played at that venue. Needs to be at least 15000 capacity

Probably Birmingham

Speedy
20-09-2015, 11:37 AM
No change in line up. Let's do this Muzza!

Speedy
20-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Brilliant point. Murray a break up

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Tomic breaks back, 4-5.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 01:00 PM
First set to GB, 7-5. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Murray breaks in the second set, 3-1.

Onceinawhile
20-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Why are northern Ireland not included? I mean I get that they don't have anyone, but why team GB not UK?

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Second set Murray, 6-3. :thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
20-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Second set Murray, 6-3. :thumbsup:

Imagine how bad team GB would be if Judy Murray suffered from migraines.

Onceinawhile
20-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Murray breaks in the third. Tomic looks done.

Onceinawhile
20-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Murray serving for the match.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 01:59 PM
GB wins 7-5 6-3 6-2! :thumbsup:

Through to the final in November.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Belgium has just beaten Argentina 3-2 to reach the final of the Davis Cup.

So GB will travel to Belgium in November for the final.

It would have been nice to have had the final at home but with Andy Murray in the side, anything is possible.

Golden Bear
20-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Anybody else think that the format of the Davis Cup actually makes it a bit of a farce?

For a supposed international team tournament, it can't be right that one individual can exert so much influence on the result.

There's got to be a better format which involves a greater number of players in order to make it a true team event.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Anybody else think that the format of the Davis Cup actually makes it a bit of a farce?

For a supposed international team tournament, it can't be right that one individual can exert so much influence on the result.

There's got to be a better format which involves a greater number of players in order to make it a true team event.

How else would you work it though?

I suppose you could limit each player to one match per tie or say that a player cannot play in both the singles and doubles (which Andy Murray did this weekend).

However if the likes of Serbia, Switzerland or Spain were to play their top players all the time then Britain wouldn't have a chance of winning the Davis Cup, due to our lack of depth in quality singles players and also the likes of Djokovic, Federer, Wawrinka, Ferrer and Nadal would all have a chance of beating Murray as well.

Speedy
21-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Looking like Ghent for the final.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Looking like Ghent for the final.

They'll definitely play the final on clay, knowing that this is Andy Murray's weakest surface. They'll also know that Britain's last defeat in the Davis Cup came on a clay court, last year against Italy.

I still don't expect Britain to lose but a clay court's a stick on.

Speedy
21-09-2015, 06:23 PM
They'll definitely play the final on clay, knowing that this is Andy Murray's weakest surface. They'll also know that Britain's last defeat in the Davis Cup came on a clay court, last year against Italy.

I still don't expect Britain to lose but a clay court's a stick on.

Yeah, makes sense. All subject to approval so I think potential weather conditions could be our only saviour re: surface.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah, makes sense. All subject to approval so I think potential weather conditions could be our only saviour re: surface.

I saw as well that Andy Murray might choose to miss the World Tour Finals this year if Belgium do decide to hold the final on a clay court.

Since there's only five days between the final at the O2 and the start of the Davis Cup final, he has said that the transition from a hard court to a clay court, in such a short space of time, may be too much to overcome particularly given the strain that his body would be under at the World Tour Finals.

It would be a shame if he missed that but it just shows how much he really wants to win the Davis Cup for Britain.

BroxburnHibee
21-09-2015, 09:43 PM
I saw as well that Andy Murray might choose to miss the World Tour Finals this year if Belgium do decide to hold the final on a clay court.

Since there's only five days between the final at the O2 and the start of the Davis Cup final, he has said that the transition from a hard court to a clay court, in such a short space of time, may be too much to overcome particularly given the strain that his body would be under at the World Tour Finals.

It would be a shame if he missed that but it just shows how much he really wants to win the Davis Cup for Britain.

I suspect Andy might get a 'strain' the week before :greengrin

GreenLake
24-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Have they scheduled this Final yet? I doubt I can make it to Belgium, but knowing the time and place might make it possible to arrange.

In the mean time, I bought tickets for first weekend and the last weekend at Indian Wells next March, which is a short drive from LA. All the top players should be there and I should be able to see Andy Murray at least one game. Hopefully he will win the tournament!

Go Andy!

Sir David Gray
29-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Have they scheduled this Final yet? I doubt I can make it to Belgium, but knowing the time and place might make it possible to arrange.

In the mean time, I bought tickets for first weekend and the last weekend at Indian Wells next March, which is a short drive from LA. All the top players should be there and I should be able to see Andy Murray at least one game. Hopefully he will win the tournament!

Go Andy!

It's being played at Flanders Expo in Ghent.

That should be good at Indian Wells, quite jealous!