PDA

View Full Version : Didier agathe: one my favorite hibs goals

Bay Area Hibees
15-09-2015, 02:43 PM
A little random but found his great goal for us in his all too short stay before heading west.

Shame couldn't keep him, would be class for us.

http://youtu.be/jgJNtspn-ys

Thecat23
15-09-2015, 03:11 PM
My fav goal I've ever seen at Easter road! Latapy against Hearts a close second.

Hibs History
15-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Was that Agathe goal not against Dundee? Not Motherwell as the clip suggests!

And I can guarantee there won't be many that will have forgotten the Orman goal against the huns

LancashireHibby
15-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Definitely Dundee. We were featured on Football Focus the following week as I think we won 4-1 and went top of the league?

Mango Man
15-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Sure he got a double, they were both special goals, was it not Bonettis first season in charge of Dundee?

StevieBoyKdy
15-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Sure Dundee had won their first game or two games and they got royally pumped against a fantastic Hibs team. Why oh why we only have Agathe 3 months deal though. Always remember seeing a guy with Agathe 17 on back of his top right before he left. Gutted.

My_Wife_Camille
15-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Sure Dundee had won their first game or two games and they got royally pumped against a fantastic Hibs team. Why oh why we only have Agathe 3 months deal though. Always remember seeing a guy with Agathe 17 on back of his top right before he left. Gutted.

I'd have been gutted if I had a players wrong number too :greengrin

Thecat23
15-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Dundee came to ER full of confidence after a good start. Hibs won the game 5-1 or 5-2 I think. Hibs were unreal that day and one of the best team performances I've seen at ER from start to finish.

truehibernian
15-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Dundee came to ER full of confidence after a good start. Hibs won the game 5-1 or 5-2 I think. Hibs were unreal that day and one of the best team performances I've seen at ER from start to finish.

Agathe was sensational - yet I mind him missing an absolute sitter in the derby. He was definitely a player that 'got away' - the Seville season for Celtic he was one of the best wingbacks I have seen in my life, at times utterly unplayable against.

The Sundance Kid
15-09-2015, 04:26 PM

That was my first season going to watch Hibs and is probably still my favourite. As a 5 year old I assumed that watching players like Sauzee and Latapy and beating Hearts 6-2 was the norm for us Hibees. It was 5-1 in that game, Agathe and Dirk Lehmann got doubles, with Stuart Lovell also scoring

Pretty Boy
15-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Fantastic goal. For the 1st half of that season we were unbelievably good and beat Rangers 1-0 going on 10. We fell apart a bit after New Year and it all ended badly with the Latapy incident and the poor showing in the SC Final. Ultimately that carried over to the next season and McLeish jumped ship at the right time (for him).

A player that is always a bit of a 'What could have been' for me in that team was Tom Smith. He done a very decent job at right back in our 1st season back in the league and looked good at wing back in the next season. He was just about hitting his peak and I think he had a bigger move in him when he had to retire due to injury.

bigwheel
15-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Fantastic goal. For the 1st half of that season we were unbelievably good and beat Rangers 1-0 going on 10. We fell apart a bit after New Year and it all ended badly with the Latapy incident and the poor showing in the SC Final. Ultimately that carried over to the next season and McLeish jumped ship at the right time (for him).

A player that is always a bit of a 'What could have been' for me in that team was Tom Smith. He done a very decent job at right back in our 1st season back in the league and looked good at wing back in the next season. He was just about hitting his peak and I think he had a bigger move in him when he had to retire due to injury.

Tom Smith is now a Glasgow taxi driver . He dropped us at ibrox once going to see Hibs - had a great chat about us , really nice guy. And I agree - real shame for him with his injury

Pedantic_Hibee
15-09-2015, 04:41 PM
5v1 against Dundee it was. I remember hugging my da after we scored and saying "now we've got a team!!!"

And then we got relegated.

Kato
15-09-2015, 04:42 PM

?

bigwheel
15-09-2015, 04:44 PM
5v1 against Dundee it was. I remember hugging my da after we scored and saying "now we've got a team!!!"

Are to not thinking of the game in late 70s with the Ralph Callaghan goal ?

Kato
15-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Are to not thinking of the game in late 70s with the Ralph Callaghan goal ?

Which was 5-2.....

Pedantic_Hibee
15-09-2015, 05:01 PM
?

Was that not the Jim Duffy season when we went down? Eck came in afterwards but couldn't save us?

Kato
15-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Was that not the Jim Duffy season when we went down? Eck came in afterwards but couldn't save us?

McLeish signed Agathe at the start of his third, by my reckoning, full season with Hibs.

portycabbage
15-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Think you're thinking of 5-1 v Dunfermline early in that season, the Agathe 5-1 v Dundee was start of season 2000-2001 (I was in France at the time so never saw Agathe play for us!)

Pedantic_Hibee
15-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I have never been so confused in my entire life as I am right now. Splendid.

Hiber-nation
15-09-2015, 05:25 PM

If you're thinking of a great goal at the beginning of a relegation season which gave us totally false hope you're maybe thinking of Chico v celtc in 1997....:wink:

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-09-2015, 05:28 PM

:tee hee:

Future17
15-09-2015, 05:38 PM
That video clip has a link to a "Best SPL Saves..." video or something like that. Unbelievably, it doesn't feature Boruc's save from Wotherspoon at ER - the best save I have seen in my life.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-09-2015, 05:47 PM
If you're thinking of a great goal at the beginning of a relegation season which gave us totally false hope you're maybe thinking of Chico v celtc in 1997....:wink:

Definitely was Agathe slaloming his way past defenders and bending one into the top bag. Sure we won 5v1 or 5v2 and I was convinced we got relegated that year.

Man I've drank so much alcohol this century :(

tamig
15-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Definitely was Agathe slaloming his way past defenders and bending one into the top bag. Sure we won 5v1 or 5v2 and I was convinced we got relegated that year.

We didn't. It was season. 00/01. Big Eck's biggest mistake only taking Agathe on a 3 month deal - especially as we were splashing the cash at that time. I still wonder how Agathe's career might have gone had O'Neill played him up front. A tragic waste imo.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-09-2015, 06:17 PM
My whole life has been a lie. The end.

*exits thread*

Kato
15-09-2015, 06:19 PM
My whole life has been a lie. The end.

*exits thread*

Shakespearean. :wink:

Bay Area Hibees
15-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Ha first thread I've started that has gone anywhere albeit it has gone a bit t up :)
Yes sure it was Dundee and he scored 2.
Took my new girlfriend to the game who seemed to expect that game and result every week...wee bit deluded poor lass.
We were magic that day. Celtic snapped him up ASAP after this given 3 month deal.

Pretty Boy
15-09-2015, 06:33 PM
That video clip has a link to a "Best SPL Saves..." video or something like that. Unbelievably, it doesn't feature Boruc's save from Wotherspoon at ER - the best save I have seen in my life.

That was a ridiculously good save. His positioning was all over the place but he certainly made up for it.

I remember Andy McNeill making an outstanding save away at Falkirk as well that never really got any recognition. Point blank effort which he tipped onto the bar.

Craig Gordon's save from Rob Jones on a 2-2 derby draw should have been in there as well. Up there with the best save I've seen. That game was a tale of 2 goalkeepers if ever there was one.

portycabbage
15-09-2015, 06:51 PM

Games played by Agathe for Hibs-
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6420

Here's the game I was meaning-
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=38451

Barry Lavety looks a lot like Didier Agathe though...

Thecat23
15-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Agathe was sensational - yet I mind him missing an absolute sitter in the derby. He was definitely a player that 'got away' - the Seville season for Celtic he was one of the best wingbacks I have seen in my life, at times utterly unplayable against.

That's right, sure it was the first game of the season as well at the PBS. Couldn't believe he missed!!

Thecat23
15-09-2015, 06:55 PM
That was my first season going to watch Hibs and is probably still my favourite. As a 5 year old I assumed that watching players like Sauzee and Latapy and beating Hearts 6-2 was the norm for us Hibees. It was 5-1 in that game, Agathe and Dirk Lehmann got doubles, with Stuart Lovell also scoring

Haha how things have changed for you!!

brog
15-09-2015, 07:00 PM
A few weeks later we effectively replaced Didier with David Zitelli so we didn't do too badly but yes, Agathe scoring 4 goals in 2 games after missing a sitter at PBS spoke volumes for his ability & character. Incidentally David Z scored one of my fav goals soon after against St J, a great move, 3rd man run & David lobbed the keeper from about 30 yards. Great goal.

eastterrace
15-09-2015, 07:18 PM
That was a ridiculously good save. His positioning was all over the place but he certainly made up for it.

I remember Andy McNeill making an outstanding save away at Falkirk as well that never really got any recognition. Point blank effort which he tipped onto the bar.

Craig Gordon's save from Rob Jones on a 2-2 derby draw should have been in there as well. Up there with the best save I've seen. That game was a tale of 2 goalkeepers if ever there was one.

agree gordon save from big robs header which was going in the top corner was superb but deano should have stuck the ball away when it dropped to him but he hesitated as he was taken aback with the save.

ekhibee
15-09-2015, 07:50 PM
was the 5-1 game the one when Dundee scored first, and later on the striker got sent off?

Pretty Boy
15-09-2015, 08:00 PM
was the 5-1 game the one when Dundee scored first, and later on the striker got sent off?

I can't remember if they scored first but they did have 2 men sent off. 1 either just before or just after half time for throwing a punch at Marty Jack and 1 very late on.

Sure McLeish was accused of being a racist for commenting on 'Latin temperament'.

Glory Lurker
15-09-2015, 08:22 PM
I couldn't make the Dundee game and had to settle for the radio. I remember the Sportsound folk drooling about how good the goal was. I was gutted to have missed it. :-(

jane_says
15-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Daniel Anderson made a save from a Paul Hartley free kick that I'll never forget. Even the bbc who were covering the game live didn't pick it up. Shot from the right side of the goal in front of the south, near post. Anderson got literally one fingertip to the ball and put it on to the post. Ball bounced across the line and Gary Caldwell hooked it over the bar. Tv thought he just hit the post but a couple guys in the east were saying 'did he just touch that?' Greatest save I've ever seen in the flesh

Mango Man
15-09-2015, 10:06 PM
A few weeks later we effectively replaced Didier with David Zitelli so we didn't do too badly but yes, Agathe scoring 4 goals in 2 games after missing a sitter at PBS spoke volumes for his ability & character. Incidentally David Z scored one of my fav goals soon after against St J, a great move, 3rd man run & David lobbed the keeper from about 30 yards. Great goal.

Zitellis overhead kick was another one of my favourite Hibs goals, it was against Dundee. Had never seen that type of goal from a Hibs player before, the power in it was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_yGw6g0Y-s

LancashireHibby
15-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Not Hibs related, but Gordon made a worldie of a save playing for Sunderland against Bolton from a Zat Knight header. Definitely up there with one of the best saves I've ever seen.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Remember that game like it was yesterday. I remember being so gutted that Agathe was able to leave in the way he did. Madness to only give 3 months, he had shown enough in the previous season to warrant at least a year. I remember a boy who sat in front of me in the FF that got Agathe on the back of his home top and then appeared a few weeks after he left with 'traitor' printed under the number.

lyonhibs
16-09-2015, 05:27 AM

5-1 I think. They got 1, if not 2, players sent off and we were fabulous. Agathe's other was an absolute Bobby Dazzler as well, curled high into the top right hand corner.

Monts
16-09-2015, 04:40 PM
That's right, sure it was the first game of the season as well at the PBS. Couldn't believe he missed!!

His sitter can be seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpAgLZOwm4

And people complained about fletcher not using his wrong foot :greengrin

DH1875
16-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Remember going to killie for a mid week game during that run. Stand was bouncing and I had a cracking night that night :)

bandylegs_jLeighton
16-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Just found the match report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/877647.stm

I still remember Douglas saving the penalty and a jubilant Dundee fan falling backwards through one of the gates in the South stand, and obviously Agathe's wonder goal.

I loved that Hibs team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
16-09-2015, 06:12 PM
That was a great time to be a Hibs fan.

We'd been relegated, come straight back up in some style and consolidated well in our first season back up with some memorable results along the way (the derbies especially went our way more regularly than during any other time that I have regularly watched Hibs).

McLeish really got a good team together over that summer, we found a formation that suited our best players and all of the "other" players (Lovell, O'Neil, Fenwick and the like) were still superb for us.

There were some great teams around at that time too - look at the players that were playing for Celtic and Rangers (as they were known) at that time, look at the players playing for Hearts in the 6-2 game, even the players in the Dundee team in that 5-1 game.

I couldn't wait for the fixtures to come around at the start of that season.

Where did it all go wrong? I remember a ropey result at Love Street and a lot of indecision about players who were soon to be out of contract (Latapy, Mixu, Lovell) dragging their heels over new deals.

Then we eventually had Latapy's antics in the run-up to the SC final.

But what really happened in the second half of that season? I don't remember it being as much of a collapse as Yogi's second half to the season but I remember it being pretty bad.

neil7908
16-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Absolutely stunning goal. I love it that the Dundee players take 2-3 kicks at him but he never goes down. Plenty of players would have been looking for a foul and potential red card in those situations but Didier only had 1 thing in mind.

I was really disappointed when he left, partly because he spent such little time with the club. Obviously a good career move for him although it always frustrated me that such a fantastic attacking player got shoved to wing back. To me that goal shows his natural position, although playing for Celtic I suspect he would never get as much space to run into as he would often be playing team with 10 men behind the ball.

Certainly not a Hibs great based on his limited time here but I player I'll always remember fondly.

ekhibee
17-09-2015, 01:13 AM
In the short time he was with Hibs he was a good player, and that goal against Dundee was one of the best I've ever seen. On the negative side, his agent ( who I believe was Allan Preston), was negotiating with Hibs for a longer deal, but at the same time another agent that Agathe had employed was negotiating with Celtic. Agathe had made the usual noises about how he'd like to stay at Hibs but he jumped ship soon enough. Not bad for somebody who 3 months earlier was playing for Raith Rovers. Anyway, it was still a great goal.

TRC
17-09-2015, 01:58 AM
That was a great time to be a Hibs fan.

We'd been relegated, come straight back up in some style and consolidated well in our first season back up with some memorable results along the way (the derbies especially went our way more regularly than during any other time that I have regularly watched Hibs).

McLeish really got a good team together over that summer, we found a formation that suited our best players and all of the "other" players (Lovell, O'Neil, Fenwick and the like) were still superb for us.

There were some great teams around at that time too - look at the players that were playing for Celtic and Rangers (as they were known) at that time, look at the players playing for Hearts in the 6-2 game, even the players in the Dundee team in that 5-1 game.

I couldn't wait for the fixtures to come around at the start of that season.

Where did it all go wrong? I remember a ropey result at Love Street and a lot of indecision about players who were soon to be out of contract (Latapy, Mixu, Lovell) dragging their heels over new deals.

Then we eventually had Latapy's antics in the run-up to the SC final.

But what really happened in the second half of that season? I don't remember it being as much of a collapse as Yogi's second half to the season but I remember it being pretty bad.

McLeish he always gets 2 and a half good seasons out of teams then they seem to fall apart. Having said that it was my favourite time watching Hibs.

bigwheel
17-09-2015, 06:15 AM
In the short time he was with Hibs he was a good player, and that goal against Dundee was one of the best I've ever seen. On the negative side, his agent ( who I believe was Allan Preston), was negotiating with Hibs for a longer deal, but at the same time another agent that Agathe had employed was negotiating with Celtic. Agathe had made the usual noises about how he'd like to stay at Hibs but he jumped ship soon enough. Not bad for somebody who 3 months earlier was playing for Raith Rovers. Anyway, it was still a great goal.

It wouldn't have been Allan Preston at that time - he only finished playing in 2000 and then went on to be assistant down south before managing Livi.

Green Man
17-09-2015, 03:10 PM
I can't remember if they scored first but they did have 2 men sent off. 1 either just before or just after half time for throwing a punch at Marty Jack and 1 very late on.

Sure McLeish was accused of being a racist for commenting on 'Latin temperament'.

They did score first. Later in the season at home to Hearts, they scored early doors before we scored 2 just before half time. I turned to the guy next to me and said "I was never worried, Dundee scored first and look what happened against them", never imagining what would happen in the second half :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
17-09-2015, 04:37 PM
https://youtu.be/jgJNtspn-ys

No.1 in this clip - if it works :greengrin

RoslinInstHibby
17-09-2015, 04:50 PM
probably my favourite time being a hibs fan was under McLeish....remember the Dundee game clearly....thought we had uncovered a superstar in Agathe:agree:

Archie70
24-09-2015, 12:30 AM
I had a real feeling of De Ja Vu in about the 88th minute tonight!!! :wink: