PDA

View Full Version : Marvin bartley

MB62
14-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Half way through the first half, the guy at my back comments, 'why are we playing Bartley at home against Alloa, sitting in front of the defence'?

I have to say, I actually agreed with the guy and found it strange that the one game I thought Bartley should have played that position was at hunbrox, where he didn't play.

However, I have to say, I thought big Marv had a great game on Saturday and it is great to see a Hibs player muscling the opposition off the ball rather than the other way around. At one point in the 2nd half he 'sprinted' from one side of the park over the East stand side to cover for Gray who had been caught up the park, his willingness to do that, for such a big man, was impressive.

He is also not too shabby with the ball at his feet either.

I'm starting to warm to the big man :thumbsup:

Franck Stanton
14-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Half way through the first half, the guy at my back comments, 'why are we playing Bartley at home against Alloa, sitting in front of the defence'?

I have to say, I actually agreed with the guy and found it strange that the one game I thought Bartley should have played that position was at hunbrox, where he didn't play.

However, I have to say, I thought big Marv had a great game on Saturday and it is great to see a Hibs player muscling the opposition off the ball rather than the other way around. At one point in the 2nd half he 'sprinted' from one side of the park over the East stand side to cover for Gray who had been caught up the park, his willingness to do that, for such a big man, was impressive.

To give him game time, to let him get used to the position, to let the other players see what he brings to the team, to get the team used to playing the formation etc etc etc.

Unseen work
14-09-2015, 11:47 AM
I actually think we need him more in these sort of games than against rangers.

It's against the poorer teams we conceeded awful goals on the break as we neglect our defensive duties and bomb forward.

Against rangers everyone knows there role and is more disciplined so we rarely get get out on the break as we normally sit in.

Bartley stops these soft goals being conceeded imo as he is so well disciplined

PatHead
14-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Marvin Bartley is the new Matty Jack!

Ozyhibby
14-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I've been impressed with Bartley. He stops teams breaking against us, a role gomis performed well for the yams last year. Needed against all teams. Only 3 goals conceded so far this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nellio
14-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Thought he had a really good game. I still want to see what he;'s like when we play against a team that aren't putting 9 men behind the ball when we play them like Falkirk for example.

MB62
14-09-2015, 11:57 AM

:agree: :thumbsup:

high bee
14-09-2015, 12:02 PM
I actually think we need him more in these sort of games than against rangers.

It's against the poorer teams we conceeded awful goals on the break as we neglect our defensive duties and bomb forward.

Against rangers everyone knows there role and is more disciplined so we rarely get get out on the break as we normally sit in.

Bartley stops these soft goals being conceeded imo as he is so well disciplined

Took the words right out my mouth. Last year we dominated so many games only to lose a goal on the break and turn the game on its head.

If having Bartley in the team means we give up one attacking minded player to prevent losing said goals then those games will finish 1,2 or 3 nil rather than trying and often failing to turn it around when we lose a goal against the run of play.

Smartie
14-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Thought he had a really good game. I still want to see what he;'s like when we play against a team that aren't putting 9 men behind the ball when we play them like Falkirk for example.

Falkirk put men behind the ball as much as any team last season, to great effect too. We struggled to break them down (other than the 3-3 game) and they seemed to have the measure of us.

As has been alluded to elsewhere, having Bartley in the side allows the other players to bomb forward (the other 3 midfielders and the fullbacks) without him getting in the way.

He's going to be a very important player for us this season in EVERY game.

To those who think we shouldn't play him against the weaker teams - should we just play without the defence and goalkeeper as well?

PatHead
14-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Falkirk put men behind the ball as much as any team last season, to great effect too. We struggled to break them down (other than the 3-3 game) and they seemed to have the measure of us.

As has been alluded to elsewhere, having Bartley in the side allows the other players to bomb forward (the other 3 midfielders and the fullbacks) without him getting in the way.

He's going to be a very important player for us this season in EVERY game.

To those who think we shouldn't play him against the weaker teams - should we just play without the defence and goalkeeper as well?

...and the 0-3 games ;-)

jgl07
14-09-2015, 12:07 PM

I must have imagined Hibs winning 3-0 at Falkirk last May then?

B.H.F.C
14-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Looks much better now after looking miles off the bave against Dumbarton in particular.

Think he'll be in the team to stay now.

Brightside
14-09-2015, 12:09 PM

He plays coz it gives the other 3 much more freedom to attack.

Smartie
14-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Ok, so we managed to score 3 against them twice (I wasn't at the game at the end of last season so had forgotten about it).

My memories of playing Falkirk last season seem to be more about the other 3 games - failing to score in the 90 minutes at ER at the start of the season, failing to score in the 90 minutes away last December and failing to score in 90 minutes in the SC semi-final.

I may be wrong but it felt to me like we made harder work of breaking down Falkirk last year than we did Hearts or Rangers.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I thought Bartley was superb on Saturday.

Broke up play on almost every occasion Alloa ventured forward (admittedly that wasn't many) and was more willing to get forward than I expected when we signed him.

He's in there for a reason and that's to allow Henderson, McGinn and McGeough to go play knowing he will be there to cover. It doesn't matter how poor the opposition is if everyone in the midfield goes tearing forward we will lose silly goals. We have racked up 3 clean sheets in a row at home, poor opposition or otherwise, and that's a good sign.

Jack
14-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying him play as much as the creative players! As others have said he's breaking up the opposition play before we get the opportunity to panic in front of our own goal.

Saw him on twitter saying that was his first shot on goal for 3 years. Bloody good effort, keep having a pop if they're going to be as good as that!

As a team we need to be working their keepers much more, hopefully they'll be getting a sore back picking the ball out the back of the net!

StarMan10
14-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Are we yet to concede from open play this season?

Ozyhibby
14-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Are we yet to concede from open play this season?

In the league? Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
14-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Guy's a good signing. Stubbs probably knew there was a problem with that element of the side and once again has made the right call.

Evergreen86
15-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Guy's a good signing. Stubbs probably knew there was a problem with that element of the side and once again has made the right call.

Best game in a Hibs top so far.

THE FIREMAN was putting out the flames all afternoon! Leiths Makalele ;-)

worcesterhibby
15-09-2015, 12:15 PM

Matty jack..wasn't that the guy who used to play the Marvin Bartley role ? :greengrin

PatHead
15-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Matty jack..wasn't that the guy who used to play the Marvin Bartley role ? :greengrin

That's him!

NAE NOOKIE
15-09-2015, 01:50 PM
He was excellent on Saturday and has performed well in every game he has played in so far. I have to admit I thought he was a shoe in for a start against Sevco at Ibrox ..... if he continues to play like he has and his presence is as effective as it was against Raith Rovers its gonna be hard to leave him out.

3pm
15-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Eh, where do you sit?! :greengrin

ahibby
16-09-2015, 11:41 AM
He is perhaps my fav player at this time. He is a good physical player and despite being physical he doesn't give away many fouls nor stupid ones. I can't remember him giving away a free kick on Saturday and yet he made his physical presence well felt. Hope he can keep his high standards up. He likes to get forward when he can too. A good side needs at least one player like him.

worcesterhibby
16-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Both Marvin and David Gray showed a good deal of dig on Saturday, nice to see a his side which is skilful and happy in possession, but also has a physical side. If we had a fit Farid up front to add a bit of physicality at the top of the pitch it would be even better !

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Very impressed by the big felly. Liking what i've seen so far.

worcesterhibby
18-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Love this tweet from him replying to well done messages after the game on saturday:

Thanks for all the kind messages, it means a lot. Delighted to get the win and to also have my first shot for 3 years https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f440.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f60e.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/26bd.png. https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f602.png

Seems like he is a grounded bloke with a sense of humour..he has also been keeping the dressing room in line..this tweet to Danny Handling:

@DanielHandling (https://twitter.com/DanielHandling) Settle down you, tell your pal @MartinBoyle9 (https://twitter.com/MartinBoyle9) I'll be picking him up by his shorts again if he doesn't keep it down

Bronson
19-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Thought the big man was outstanding today, putting out fires all over the place.

My MOTM:aok:

pedroorange1875
19-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Thought the big man was outstanding today, putting out fires all over the place.

My MOTM:aok:

Totally agree :top marks

19-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Good performance from the big man today :thumbsup: Solid, gets stuck in and for a big guy he has a bit of pace about him as well.

fulshie
19-09-2015, 08:40 PM
I think Bartley, along with most of our players today were below par. Our midfield was a bit disfunctional and it found it strange Liam Henderson got a standing ovation when he got subbed as he was posted missing for most of the match and the amount of times the ball got trapped under Bartleys feet was unreal. Thank god for wee McGeoch who was one of our best performers and easily our best midfielder. All that said, a same performance like that last year would have ended in a draw or defeat. Just a bad game from the team but a victory none the less.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I think Bartley, along with most of our players today were below par. Our midfield was a bit disfunctional and it found it strange Liam Henderson got a standing ovation when he got subbed as he was posted missing for most of the match and the amount of times the ball got trapped under Bartleys feet was unreal. Thank god for wee McGeoch who was one of our best performers and easily our best midfielder. All that said, a same performance like that last year would have ended in a draw or defeat. Just a bad game from the team but a victory none the less.

He scored a sublime free kick which turned out to be the winning goal and got us a valuable three points. Nothing strange about it at all.

ChrissyG1875
19-09-2015, 08:47 PM
You found it strange that the scorer of the winning goal, with a peach, got applauded off?

FranckSuzy
19-09-2015, 08:47 PM

If that's him below par, I can't wait to see him above it...

FranckSuzy
19-09-2015, 08:49 PM
You found it strange that the scorer of the winning goal, with a peach, got applauded off?

:agree: Two goals in two games as well....

fulshie
19-09-2015, 08:51 PM
He scored a sublime free kick which turned out to be the winning goal and got us a valuable three points. Nothing strange about it at all.Yes and its more than welcome but, the free kick is just a second from it leaving Liams boot to being in the back of the net. Oxley made a great save then Hanlon cleared of the line if they had been subbed I doubt they would have got a standing ovation. I guess I'm just disappointed with the performance of Liams general all round game but, I take your point.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2015, 08:56 PM
I also thought Bartley had a good game.

Nothing outstanding or world class or anything like that but I think we've signed a really solid player.

fulshie
19-09-2015, 08:58 PM
You found it strange that the scorer of the winning goal, with a peach, got applauded off?No! Standing ovation yes! He scored a goal but all round play below average as was the team performance esp the 2nd half. We were playing one of the poorest teams in the league and we managed to make them look ok. We'ew much better than that performance and Liam is much better than his individual performance today.

SaulGoodman
19-09-2015, 09:00 PM
No! Standing ovation yes! He scored a goal but all round play below average as was the team performance esp the 2nd half. We were playing one of the poorest teams in the league and we managed to make them look ok. We'ew much better than that performance and Liam is much better than his individual performance today.

At least we're supporting the team. Does it really matter if one of our players gets a standing ovation? The confidence will do them good.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2015, 09:03 PM
No! Standing ovation yes! He scored a goal but all round play below average as was the team performance esp the 2nd half. We were playing one of the poorest teams in the league and we managed to make them look ok. We'ew much better than that performance and Liam is much better than his individual performance today.

I applauded him off but stayed in my seat. So did those around me. Think you are overstating this a bit friend.

fulshie
19-09-2015, 09:06 PM
I applauded him off but stayed in my seat. So did those around me. Think you are overstating this a bit friend.Ok point taking as it was about half and half around where I was.

fulshie
19-09-2015, 09:09 PM
At least we're supporting the team. Does it really matter if one of our players gets a standing ovation? The confidence will do them good.This is true and I thought the support in numbers was good today. Keep winning and support goes up.

J-C
19-09-2015, 09:10 PM
I said all last season that although the midfield played some pretty stuff at times, they were all much of a muchness and we needed a cleaner upper like Matty Jack to allow the trio to do their thing , Robertson was used in that holding midfielder role but wasn't quite up to the job at times.

SaulGoodman
19-09-2015, 09:12 PM
This is true and I thought the support in numbers was good today. Keep winning and support goes up.

:agree:

whiskyhibby
19-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Yes and its more than welcome but, the free kick is just a second from it leaving Liams boot to being in the back of the net. Oxley made a great save then Hanlon cleared of the line if they had been subbed I doubt they would have got a standing ovation. I guess I'm just disappointed with the performance of Liams general all round game but, I take your point.

"Hibs" fan finds negatives in a win shocker.......

By the way I thought Liam had a great game today and his all round
performance merited an ovation, and if you think Livingston are mugs then you are sorely mistaken, they actually played very well today and their lowly league position is false

JimBHibees
21-09-2015, 08:48 AM
"Hibs" fan finds negatives in a win shocker.......

By the way I thought Liam had a great game today and his all round
performance merited an ovation, and if you think Livingston are mugs then you are sorely mistaken, they actually played very well today and their lowly league position is false

Agree thought Livi looked ok was impressed with both centre backs and thought they played some decent stuff in saying that Hibs should have been 2 up early doors with Cummings and Dom missing excellent chances. Different game if they go in. Difficult game but 3 points and clean sheet, job done.

Also thought Liam was excellent and some of his touches were superb. Free kick top class.

HappyHanlon
21-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Mervs been superb! Keep up the good work big man!