PDA

View Full Version : NHC Ryan Gauld

Zazu62
13-09-2015, 07:15 PM
What's happened to this guy? Went to Sporting Lisbon for a lot of money. Has he even played for them? Seems a bit of a waste of talent if he's not playing

Pretty Boy
13-09-2015, 07:20 PM
What's happened to this guy? Went to Sporting Lisbon for a lot of money. Has he even played for them? Seems a bit of a waste of talent if he's not playing

He mainly featured for their B team last year, scored a couple of goals and played well over 10 games.

He's played a few cup games for the first team and scored a couple of goals and has made a couple of league appearances as well.

He's only 20 and think it will do him good to learn the game slowly. He'll be learning in a totally different culture and I think that will be good for him. He's got time on his side and has a big future imo.

Billychaotic182
13-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Talking to a few united fans today and they said he has improved leaps and bounds since moving. Said he played for Scotland 21s and was fantastic. Said training over there has made him twice the player he was when he left. And yes they have seen him play loads

Zazu62
13-09-2015, 07:24 PM
So Scotland have a 3m player who plays for sporting Lisbon yet he can't get called up to the national team?

Wilson
13-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Scored for their b side again today.

KWJ
13-09-2015, 07:32 PM
So Scotland have a 3m player who plays for sporting Lisbon yet he can't get called up to the national team?

Steven Fletcher's last move was 15M, should he start every game?

Sure Gauld will be in the team soon enough if he keeps progressing. Incidentally he's not even on the bench in their game being played just now, they have some bloody good players in their time mind.

Zazu62
13-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Steven Fletcher's last move was 15M, should he start every game?

Sure Gauld will be in the team soon enough if he keeps progressing. Incidentally he's not even on the bench in their game being played just now, they have some bloody good players in their time mind.

I'm not saying he should be starting. Just to get called up. He's obviously a very talented football player

HoboHarry
13-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm not saying he should be starting. Just to get called up. He's obviously a very talented football player
He was bought for his potential. He is already playing and thriving with the U21's.......

Just_Jimmy
13-09-2015, 11:56 PM
I know a Sporting Fan from Uni. Apparently they love him. they think he'll be the real deal. The fans love him because he bought into the lifestyle and culture from the start. Good luck to the lad is what I say.

Sean1875
14-09-2015, 02:53 AM
I know a Sporting Fan from Uni. Apparently they love him. they think he'll be the real deal. The fans love him because he bought into the lifestyle and culture from the start. Good luck to the lad is what I say.

met him a couple times when I was up at Dundee for uni, really humble and down to earth guy, definitely a bright future ahead of him and well deserved too

since90plustwo
15-09-2015, 03:59 PM
He has been called up once, maybe twice to the national team, but would you rather have a young guy playing games or sitting on the bench? Don't think he will make it at sporting can see him going to the english championship eventually. Would like to be proved wrong though

Allant1981
15-09-2015, 04:41 PM
He has been called up once, maybe twice to the national team, but would you rather have a young guy playing games or sitting on the bench? Don't think he will make it at sporting can see him going to the english championship eventually. Would like to be proved wrong though

Out of interest why dont you think he will make it at sporting? Do you watch him play every week to see how he is getting on?

Stax
15-09-2015, 04:43 PM
He has a buyout clause of 60 million euros iirc. He may go on loan but I think Sporting are playing it well with his development and see him as one for the future.

frazeHFC
15-09-2015, 04:57 PM
His talent and their style is the perfect match. Highly rated over there reckon he is going to be a star if he stays with them for the long run.

Wilson
15-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Out of interest why dont you think he will make it at sporting? Do you watch him play every week to see how he is getting on?

I was wondering the same.

I guess though that the recent trend is for Scottish footballers abroad to not settle or be a success in the long term (O'Connor, Riordan) can give you a certain amount of cynicism regarding his chances.

Add that to the difficulty in making the jump from top prospect to first team player at any level - let alone at Sporting - then predicting failure to progress would appear to be the safe bet.

Also, issues outwith his control. Am I right in thinking the current manager in charge of Sporting isn't even the one that was in charge when Gauld was brought in? That can't be settling.

That said I think Gauld has a bit more about him than some of our other exports. I'm encouraged at reports he has thrown himself into the lifestyle and the culture. Sporting see him as a good investment, theirs is a good set-up, and he'll get his chance somewhere along the line. It'll be down to him to take it though. I'm optimistic for him.

Godsahibby
15-09-2015, 05:19 PM
He scores a few for the 2nd team often see his name pop up on the live score app

Future17
15-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Also, issues outwith his control. Am I right in thinking the current manager in charge of Sporting isn't even the one that was in charge when Gauld was brought in? That can't be settling.

I think the current boss is Jorge Jesus, who was Benfica manager for a good few years including last season. He left after a contract dispute and took the Sporting job to try and get it right up them. :greengrin

He's definitely got a job on his hands as Sporting have been in decline for some time now.

I agree with what most have said about Gauld; the reports from Portugal and from Scotland U21s have been positive, he seems happy and he is still very young. Good luck to him. :aok:

snooky
15-09-2015, 11:43 PM
I think the current boss is Jorge Jesus, who was Benfica manager for a good few years including last season. He left after a contract dispute and took the Sporting job to try and get it right up them. :greengrin

He's definitely got a job on his hands as Sporting have been in decline for some time now.

I agree with what most have said about Gauld; the reports from Portugal and from Scotland U21s have been positive, he seems happy and he is still very young. Good luck to him. :aok:

Shows how really bad the Scottish game is then when Gauld (arguably the best young player from our country) is playing in Sporting's reserves. And they are in asteady decline! Is this the same Sporting Lisbon club I saw the Tornados thrash 6-1 at ER (7-3 on agg) in Sept 1972?

Oh how the great have fallen (and I'm no' talking about Sporting). :boo hoo:

erin go bragh
16-09-2015, 08:56 AM

Jordan Rhodes club just knocked back a bid of 12m . Is he injured ?
Cause we could have done with him against Georgia .

GGTTH

JeMeSouviens
16-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Shows how really bad the Scottish game is then when Gauld (arguably the best young player from our country) is playing in Sporting's reserves. And they are in asteady decline! Is this the same Sporting Lisbon club I saw the Tornados thrash 6-1 at ER (7-3 on agg) in Sept 1972?

Oh how the great have fallen (and I'm no' talking about Sporting). :boo hoo:

At least we're not as bad as Rot Weiss Essen or Stade de Reims*. :wink:

(* There is a successor in Ligue 1 but the original went bust and folded years ago.)

RoslinInstHibby
17-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Jordan Rhodes club just knocked back a bid of 12m . Is he injured ?
Cause we could have done with him against Georgia .

GGTTH

its a bit of a mystery to me why he doesnt get more game time in the national team.....

Green Man
17-09-2015, 06:10 PM
its a bit of a mystery to me why he doesnt get more game time in the national team.....

He did have an injury recently, it may have coincided with the Georgia game.

Broken Gnome
17-09-2015, 06:44 PM

If Strachan's unsure about giving Griffiths game time, Jordan Rhodes will sure as hell be nowhere near leading a Scotland attack.