PDA

View Full Version : McGINN v S ALLAN

Green Diet
12-09-2015, 11:24 PM
How does McGINN and ALLAN compare as football players for Hibs in the following areas:

Tackling -
Marking -
Dribbling -
Shooting -
Reading the game -
Attitude/Effort -
Team player/Leadership -

It might be a bit too early to say but your initial thoughts please.

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

lord bunberry
12-09-2015, 11:27 PM
He isn't as good as Allan. He's a young guy with potential, but Allan was and is a very special football player.

stevie-bee
12-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Different type of players .
McGinn is more a box to box ,
Allan no 10

wookie70
12-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I was never that great an Allan fan but really like McGinn. Allan would be a better player than McGinn in a team full of movement but he never had that at Hibs. Playing a great ball without a team mate reading it has the same result as a poor pass so he was guilty of losing too much possession for my liking. McGinn is a different player and I would say most of the list above he is ahead of Allan bar the passing and reading the game. He is way ahead physically with tracking and tackling etc and hits a much better corner which wouldn't be hard.

In the long run I think McGinn will be a more important player both on the pitch and possibly in the bank account. I also think Allan may do well at Celtic but he will have to improve his out of possession attitude if he wants to play regularly.

DTS
12-09-2015, 11:46 PM
I don't know how they compare head to head only way to judge would be them in the same team at the same time, what I do know is that our midfield is a lot stronger this season than it was last season and that's what matters

stoneyburn hibs
12-09-2015, 11:48 PM
McGinn is a demon, 20 y/o and showing to be a very decent player.SA is a player but not a team player. Really happy to have DM and JM instead of AS.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2015, 04:40 AM
He isn't as good as Allan. He's a young guy with potential, but Allan was and is a very special football player.Very special football players don't fail in England and end up in the Scottish championship. He is good but come on, there are about 20 guys in the world who are worthy of being called very special football players.

Libby Hibby
13-09-2015, 06:02 AM
I don't think we should be comparing Scott Allan to any one player but be asking ourselves, does our team really miss SA? Has our team benefitted from the sale of SA? Do we look more of a cohesive unit without SA? To me (and my old man) the answers are no, yes, yes.

Scott was a great player for us but there has been so many positives to come out of his sale, don't get me wrong, I didn't at the time want it to happen but now having time to look back at our squad then a now then I can help but think he are in a much stronger position.

Scott Allan who?

Thecat23
13-09-2015, 06:36 AM
McGinn can run up and down the pitch working hard. Allan though can glide past players with ease. For me two different types of players, but Allan is for me the better of the two hense why he's now with Celtic.

McGinn though could go on to because a fans fav with performances like the past few games.

Stoney Hibee
13-09-2015, 07:37 AM
I really think we need to give McGinn more than 3 or 4 games to show us what he can do, how many of us were raving about Allan after a handful of games last season? Is McGinn even fully fit yet, he never had a full preseason behind him a and its not that long since he had a corner flag through his leg. Let's see how he is performing at the turn of the year before making comparisons.

lucky
13-09-2015, 07:49 AM
SA can win games with his skill but JM contributes to the team winning. I think JM will develope more and is likely to end up playing at a higher lever than SA due to his work rate and application.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-09-2015, 08:21 AM
For us right now I think John is more valuable.

Scott Allan was luxury John will consistently churn out good performances.
I think suggesting he's just a box to box hard worker is unfair, he showed some class bits of skill yesterday and a great range of passing.

Great stuff.

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 08:22 AM
McGinn's game will develop in the Hibs team while Allan's will stagnate on the bench or in the stands. Allan is a decent player but nowhere near the player some are describing him as yet.

Smartie
13-09-2015, 08:23 AM
TBH I could see Scott Allan coming back to us on loan before too long.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 08:27 AM

He wouldn't get a game in our midfield either!

rosco-hibee
13-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Without sounding bitter, I don't know if I'd want Allan back. The transfer request etc just caused unrest in the squad.

LD and AS did great business moving him on and strengthening the squad. Let's keep it that way.

On a side note, SA didn't even make the Celtic bench yesterday...

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2015, 10:04 AM
For us right now I think John is more valuable.

Scott Allan was luxury John will consistently churn out good performances.
I think suggesting he's just a box to box hard worker is unfair, he showed some class bits of skill yesterday and a great range of passing.

Great stuff.

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

This is probably the case. I think McGinn is more suited to our immediate needs -getting us out of this league- than Allan, although Allan is the more talented footballer. Ironically, (because this is Scotland) McGinn will quite probably go on to have a career just as good, or better than Allan. I know it didn't work out for him first time in England, but a player of his abilities is pretty much wasted in Scottish football and I think it was a mistake for him to stay here.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2015, 10:06 AM

Not an impossible scenario. Allan won't get many starts at Celtic and they might loan him back to us after Jan to spite Der Hun, and to keep him playing in order to sell him on to an English club.

My_Wife_Camille
13-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Scott Allan would still walk straight into our starting 11

The_Horde
13-09-2015, 10:12 AM

This.

I'd bite your hand off for the opportunity again.

bigwheel
13-09-2015, 10:13 AM

100% this...let's not re-write truth because Allan has moved on. He is a quality player. One that still has to work hard to achieve something in the game, but boy on his day - what a player!!

Pretty Boy
13-09-2015, 10:18 AM

He can GTF as far as I'm concerned. Good player or otherwise.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 10:18 AM

Nope.

My_Wife_Camille
13-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Nope.

***** argument

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 10:21 AM
***** argument

Now now dear chap it's an opinion, who said I wanted an argument about it.

edwards
13-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Thought Mcginn didn't have a great first half yesterday but more than made up for it in the second half, Allan was a good with his close control but McGinns determination yesterday is precisely what we need at this present moment in time and not a player who isn't going to give 100% and that is what we would have faced with Allan in the team.
Mcginn is a strong player and he will grow in confidence, who also impressed me yesterday was Bartley his determination to go and win the ball back there wasn't a single Alloa player who could challenge him. Megeough and Henderson looked good in midfield and that was Fyvie missing and Carmichael on the bench.

Smartie
13-09-2015, 10:32 AM
He can GTF as far as I'm concerned. Good player or otherwise.

I think we'd have said the same about Riordan, Thomson or Murray within a month of them leaving us under a cloud.

It's just a feeling I've got. He pushed for a bad move at a bad time and we're the only club that he has played consistently well for over a season.

I could see him joining us (maybe next summer after Henderson goes back) for the reasons stated above - Celtic will want him to get game time so they can flog him down to England and maybe get some money for him.

If we still have Stubbs, Allan will probably acknowledge the fact that he's the manager who has handled him the best in his whole career and may be the man to get him back on track again?

(It's a bit silly to speculate like this so soon after his departure).

Vini1875
13-09-2015, 10:32 AM
For us it is better to have a good unit, a solid team than to have a star man. John McGinn is a good player in a good unit and as such is much better suited for us and will prove to be a bigger asset long term than SA. As for having SA back, no thanks.

ancient hibee
13-09-2015, 10:38 AM
McGinn is a demon, 20 y/o and showing to be a very decent player.SA is a player but not a team player. Really happy to have DM and JM instead of AS.

This rewriting of history is astonishing.Allan not a team player?How many of our goals do you think he was heavily involved in-if not the final pass certainly the one that mattered.McGinn will do fine but is a different type of player.

My_Wife_Camille
13-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Now now dear chap it's an opinion, who said I wanted an argument about it.

As soon as you offer an opposing view you put forward your argument. Yours was *****.

matty_f
13-09-2015, 10:43 AM
As soon as you offer an opposing view you put forward your argument. Yours was *****.

To be fair, it was just an abridged version of an alternative to your view, which was effictively 'yes' with no reasoning behind it. :greengrin

My_Wife_Camille
13-09-2015, 10:55 AM
To be fair, it was just an abridged version of an alternative to your view, which was effictively 'yes' with no reasoning behind it. :greengrin

Fair enough. My argument is that our team is better with Scott Allan in it than not. Additionally, the champions of this country would rather have him than McGeouch, McGinn or Henderson just now.

Frogga
13-09-2015, 10:57 AM
I'd rather have a happy John McGinn than an unhappy Scott Allan.

I think we're a better team now than we were a month ago.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 11:06 AM

There you go again,have at a look at your original post and chill. But to humour you as you seem an uptight sort of chap. Allan a player who is not committed to our cause and clearly wants to play for a bigger club would not just walk into our team, he is a decent player at this level but I believe the balance of our midfield is looking good with the different mix we have in there and could not see him just be able to dislodge either of them as easily as you mention. As for the champions rather having him as an unused player as opposed to the others well that really doesn't hold much weight does it?

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Fair enough. My argument is that our team is better with Scott Allan in it than not. Additionally, the champions of this country would rather have him than McGeouch, McGinn or Henderson just now.Lets not act like Celtic being champions is any kind of achievement or that they haven't ever gotten transfers horribly wrong. So far Hibs have benefited far more than they have from the deal.

Glory Lurker
13-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I amn't missing SA, and am really enjoying watching McGinn. Perfectly happy with that.

keep the faith
13-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Nope.

Course he would.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Course he would.

Read the thread you have to follow up with an argument ;-)

Wilson
13-09-2015, 12:42 PM
I amn't missing SA, and am really enjoying watching McGinn. Perfectly happy with that.

That is the crux of the matter. We have done well on the recruitment front. Regardless of who is regarded as the better player. All credit to Stubbs and the team for that.

Scott had much better hair though.

chrisski33
13-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Not gonna happen. Hes left now and time to move on. Dont see the point in comparing mcginn and allan now.

ronaldo7
13-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I loved watching Scott whilst he was at his best last season. Best bit was dumping the wee scrote on his erse at ER. A very good player imo.

I am now loving watching John McGinn putting in some strong performances at his new club. I'll enjoy him whilst he's here, and wish him all the best when he moves to a Premiership club in England, hopefully not for a while though.

Alternatively we could push the boat out and try to get him on a longer term contract in a couple of years time and give him the number 4 jersey:wink:

This lad could be a ledge.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Not sure that you can directly compare the two but it is fair to say that we have not ended up weaker after Allan has moved on. May be a case of everyone's a winner. ?

Smartie
13-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Not sure that you can directly compare the two but it is fair to say that we have not ended up weaker after Allan has moved on. May be a case of everyone's a winner. ?

If any party has come off worse then it is probably Scotty "cash for splinters" Allan himself.

Having said that it is still early days for him, if Celtic keep playing the way they have been of late he'll find himself getting a chance sooner rather than later. And in spite of everything I loved watching him last season, I still think he's a class player when he wants to be and I wouldn't bet against him taking his chance, a bit like Sparky seems to have done.

Big L
13-09-2015, 08:08 PM
I always felt SA was a bit of a luxury, by that I mean he wasn't the best at tracking back and doing the defensive bit. I do think he could see a pass but IMO McGinn will be a better all round midfielder, a player you can trust, a player you can build a team around!

cam75
13-09-2015, 08:37 PM
SA goal agains berwick was class,but 1 player doesn't make a team mginn is a team player,we got cash and season Loan off a class player and a permanent deal of a player most wanted,hibs played a blinder :)

Jones28
13-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I saw Allan twice last season and though the was a good player, I've seen McGinn once and think he is as good, possibly better.

O'Rourke3
14-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Alan Stubbs was asked if he was happy with the team now on the BBC post match. After laughing of the fact he'd not been hete long enough to "compare" his teams he did admit he now has the best squad up till now.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

GreenArmyyy!
14-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Nope.

Of course he would although I wouldn't like him to as we are a better 'team' without him.

Plus he is a snake that should be forgotten about.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Of course he would although I wouldn't like him to as we are a better 'team' without him.

Plus he is a snake that should be forgotten about.

Naw he wudnae

southsider
14-09-2015, 01:55 PM
100% this...let's not re-write truth because Allan has moved on. He is a quality player. One that still has to work hard to achieve something in the game, but boy on his day - what a player!!
Apart from his corner kicks. 9/10 overhit.