PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices

dp00
11-09-2015, 11:10 PM
I've got myself a very rare weekend off so decided I'll take myself down to Easter road for the game. I've not been this season and just assumed the prices would reflect our current position. Had a wee look and its £22 for a ticket against Alloa... Being honest I'm still likely going to get a ticket as I've been looking forward to a game of football for the last weeks or so however these prices do absolutely nothing to get that fan who is maybe 50/50 on going. I done some investigation to see the prices of the rest of how much it would cost me to get into the other championship games and its no surprise we are the most expensive. Hibs seriously need to review its pricing

Surely the £15-£18 mark is more suited for a championship game

Entry Prices for Weekend:
Hibs v Alloa - £22
Morton v Dumbarton -£17
Raith V QOS - £18
Rangers v Livi - £18
St Mirren v Falkirk - £20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
11-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Been done to death on other threads.

green day
12-09-2015, 04:30 AM
The The Rangers price of £18 is for an adult in the family section only.

Pete
12-09-2015, 05:30 AM
In order to remain competitive we have to maintain these prices. Look at the squad...it's been built on a smart budget but it still needs to be funded.

We are a top flight club and we need to maintain our status and reputation as a top flight team regardless of where we find ourselves. FFS I'm raging when I think about the damage we would do if we were where we should be right now.

It's not cheap but it's only a couple of pounds difference when you compare it with other, smaller clubs. You probably budget a certain amount of money for a day out so what does that extra £2 really mean percentage wise. **** all is the answer.

Brooster
12-09-2015, 06:09 AM
I agree that the pricing structure needs reviewed. It really is a false economy because on the one hand its ok saying we need to keep prices to compete (which we are a million miles away from doing) but on the other hand how many neutrals or floaters will pay £22 to watch Hibs v Alloa? Especially when we are mid table and a mile off the pace....again. Ive been to two English Premiership games this season for less than £22. And another thing - we are not a top flight club, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself.

GreenArmyyy!
12-09-2015, 06:15 AM
On the runway at Edinburgh heading to Cannes for two weeks. Going to Nice v Guingamp tonight in Ligue 1. €10 for adults €5 for concessions, says it all really.

scoopyboy
12-09-2015, 06:23 AM
It's a tricky one, no two ways about that but a lot of it is Hibs doing.

£22 for a home match against Alloa is far too steep, the same could be argued for the other league fixtures (I assume The Rangers game will be dearer).

However, if the walk up price is reduced to say £18 then season ticket holders are well out of pocket and there would be no financial benefit in having one.

I would argue the season ticket holders are the life blood of the club and we don't want to see that figure drop off any more, I want to attract walk ups but not at the expense of season ticket holders.

Bottom line is that season tickets and walk up prices are too expensive but I can't see it being resolved overnight, next season would be the earliest but unlikely to happen either IMO.

lucky
12-09-2015, 06:33 AM
The prices are wrong and it goes back to LD decision after consulting fans to keep prices at premiership prices last season. STs were reduced to £360 for this season, so 19 games at £18.94

scoopyboy
12-09-2015, 06:38 AM
The prices are wrong and it goes back to LD decision after consulting fans to keep prices at premiership prices last season. STs were reduced to £360 for this season, so 19 games at £18.94

Surely 18 games @ £20.

Big_Franck
12-09-2015, 06:45 AM

Agreed. I would say I think it's about the only thing she's got wrong IMO though.

£22 to watch Hibs against the crap in this league is going to put a lot of people off going, whether that sits well with the uber fans or not.

hibee-boys
12-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Would dropping the price by a few quid have a great impact on the attendance? I don't think so. Would it impact greatly on our player budget, chances of getting out this league, not to mention devaluing season tickets? Definitely.

The recent cup games and hibs kids game clearly show that reducing prices have little impact on the number of walk ups. I feel for any hibs fan that struggles to make a game because it's too expensive however reducing prices will not bring the doubters back to easter road, winning games and winning them by a few goals will.

Kojock
12-09-2015, 07:22 AM
You know what, if we had hit the ground running, and we're unbeaten so far and in the process banging in 5 goals per game we wouldn't be having this debate.

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Agreed. I would say I think it's about the only thing she's got wrong IMO though.

£22 to watch Hibs against the crap in this league is going to put a lot of people off going, whether that sits well with the uber fans or not.

Why do people like you trot out this nonsense......?

J-C
12-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Why do people like you trot out this nonsense......?

And why do people like you come on to threads like this just to slag someone off?

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2015, 07:32 AM
And why do people like you come on to threads like this just to slag someone off?

Where did I slag him off? I am sick to the back teeth of people labelling others uber fans, because they have the audacity to actually go each week....

If you don't like my posts stick me on ignore, there's a good chap......

Brightside
12-09-2015, 07:33 AM

I have no idea how much tickets are...i have a season ticket. When you get one you forget all about ticket prices. :wink:

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 07:36 AM
If the price today was £19 rather than £22 how many extra fans would be there?

Genuine question as I've never seen any evidence that a relatively small drop in price leads to a big enough increase in attendance to offset the loss either long or short term.

Brightside
12-09-2015, 07:41 AM

Genuine question as I've never seen any evidence that a relatively small drop in price leads to a big enough increase in attendance to offset the loss either long or short term.

Zero. Its just the usual excuse for apathy.

Future17
12-09-2015, 07:44 AM
You know what, if we had hit the ground running, and we're unbeaten so far and in the process banging in 5 goals per game we wouldn't be having this debate.

That's probably true, but I'm not sure what your point is?

If we were entertaining to watch, you could make an argument that £22 represents value for money. But we aren't. So it doesn't.

Brightside
12-09-2015, 07:49 AM
That's probably true, but I'm not sure what your point is?

If we were entertaining to watch, you could make an argument that £22 represents value for money. But we aren't. So it doesn't.

You don't think we are entertaining to watch? Would you rather they juggled at corners?

Dublin07
12-09-2015, 07:51 AM

I disagree mate. I lost my job in June and couldnt renew our 3 season tickets for the first time in 5 years. I still want to attend no matter what previous results have been. I paid 46 quid for me and my 2 boys for the raith game. I simply can't afford to pay that again today. My mate is in the same boat today after goin to raith game. So there is 5 tickets gone today because of price only. IMO football in Scotland is far too expensive for the product. 15 for an adult and 5 for kids would be more realistic.

Brightside
12-09-2015, 07:52 AM
I disagree mate. I lost my job in June and couldnt renew our 3 season tickets for the first time in 5 years. I still want to attend no matter what previous results have been. I paid 46 quid for me and my 2 boys for the raith game. I simply can't afford to pay that again today. My mate is in the same boat today after goin to raith game. So there is 5 tickets gone today because of price only. IMO football in Scotland is far too expensive for the product. 15 for an adult and 5 for kids would be more realistic.

and then we couldn't afford the squad we have.

DH1875
12-09-2015, 07:53 AM
£22 to watch Hibs vs Alloa is a joke. Would lowering the prices to £19 make much diff, probably not. Lower them to £15 and you might see a few more in though.

Future17
12-09-2015, 07:54 AM
You don't think we are entertaining to watch? Would you rather they juggled at corners?

I've been to 2 home games so far this season - versus Morton and Stranraer. If you think that's entertainment, you obviously don't watch much football.

J-C
12-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Where did I slag him off? I am sick to the back teeth of people labelling others uber fans, because they have the audacity to actually go each week....

If you don't like my posts stick me on ignore, there's a good chap......

Uber fan's are people like yourself who will not here a bad thing said against Hibs, whether it's pricing, player purchase etc. I agree with him that £22 to watch Alloa is too much considering what division we are in, they dropped the season ticket price but not the walk up price, that in itself is a mistake.

You should be able to criticise the club when you feel the need and not have anyone come on and call you out for it, if you are called uber fans or not, we're all allowed an opinion.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 07:59 AM
£22 to watch Hibs vs Alloa is a joke. Would lowering the prices to £19 make much diff, probably not. Lower them to £15 and you might see a few more in though.

So for every 2 regular walk ups taking advantage of the lower prices we'd lose £14, about 1 ticket at the new prices. So to make up the shortfall we'd need to see a 50% increase in walk ups or reduce the budget accordingly.

I'm aware that's simplistic but football fans seem really good at finidng ways to cost their club money.

Brightside
12-09-2015, 08:00 AM
I've been to 2 home games so far this season - versus Morton and Stranraer. If you think that's entertainment, you obviously don't watch much football.

I watch about 5 games a week. That'll do for now thanks. I think Hibs play attractive football. Played the right way. Maybe stick to Match of the Day.

Keith_M
12-09-2015, 08:03 AM

I've only seen two games in the flesh so far as well but I'd go with my Season Ticket holding Dad's verdict that they were 'mind numbingly boring' matches.

liamh2202
12-09-2015, 08:05 AM
and then we couldn't afford the squad we have.

Maybe its time Scottish football as a whole took the step to reduce prices . if players went down south then so be it. Would the standard really drop that much lower?

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2015, 08:06 AM
So for every 2 regular walk ups taking advantage of the lower prices we'd lose £14, about 1 ticket at the new prices. So to make up the shortfall we'd need to see a 50% increase in walk ups or reduce the budget accordingly.

I'm aware that's simplistic but football fans seem really good at finidng ways to cost their club money.

You could just as easily say football clubs are really good at fleecing their fans with overpriced tickets. Fans think of their own pockets not the club finances just as the club think of their own finances and not the fans pockets. No easy answer either way for both parties.

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Uber fan's are people like yourself who will not here a bad thing said against Hibs, whether it's pricing, player purchase etc. I agree with him that £22 to watch Alloa is too much considering what division we are in, they dropped the season ticket price but not the walk up price, that in itself is a mistake.

You should be able to criticise the club when you feel the need and not have anyone come on and call you out for it, if you are called uber fans or not, we're all allowed an opinion.

Indeed we are all allowed an opinion without being labelled though.........

Sorry if I am positive about Hibs, I just can't help it, I really need to start knocking them more.....

Re your part highlighted, the Club tried to make it more attractive to buy a ST, to try and ensure maximum uplift, to help with budget. I understand people have reason's for not buying one, but that's the harsh reality............

dp00
12-09-2015, 09:07 AM
At no point is my post intended as a dig at the club, the reality is I'll go and pay £22 because I want to watch them, I just think it's bound to put of your casual supporter who is neither hear or there for going, even if it was just under the £20 mark is guess that could make people appear it's cheaper ...

I never looked into the prices to go to a Scottish top league game this weekend but I'm guessing there will be a few cheaper there aswell

Maybe walk ups could get something like £5 off the club shop when £30 spent on the day of the game ???

lucky
12-09-2015, 09:09 AM
If Hibs high ticket prices is based on the quality of the squad how come we are ****? We've consistently chargers more than most clubs yet we have suffered relegation and failure for years and the fans still get asked to pay over the odds. £22 to watch Alloa is a joke and we all know it. But as Hibs fans we'll be there.

Eyrie
12-09-2015, 10:02 AM
£22 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £18.
£18 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £15.
£15 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £10.
£10 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £5.
£5 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was free.
Free is too expensive, but I'd go if I got a free pie.
A free pie is too expensive, but I'd go if I was given a chauffeur driven limo there and home.

At what point is it too expensive to go? I'd say that if £2 or £3 makes that much of a difference, then attending a football match should be well down the list of priorities.

When I have the free time to go, I'd agree that £22 represents poor value for the standard of football I'm likely to see, particularly given the defensive approach taken by most of our visitors. But I make the decision to go to watch Hibs and accept the price in the same way that I have to accept the price for anything else that I want to buy or else I can't get it.

3pm
12-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Groan. :rolleyes:

Bristolhibby
12-09-2015, 10:07 AM

That's because it doesn't. A winning team brings fans, not a couple of quid off.

As has been said, if we were on the back of a 5 game winning streak and playing good football it wouldn't be an issue.

However when you compare it to similar products, I was at the Southampton v Norwich game a couple of weeks ago. £30 for me and a tenner for my lad.

J

ahibby
12-09-2015, 10:09 AM
While I think every team in the league has a bit of quality in certain positions, I believe Hibs now have quality all over the park. Therefore I don't mind paying the price as it is.

Kojock
12-09-2015, 10:12 AM
For arguments sake lets say we have 5000 adults paying £22 that's an income of £110,000
If we reduce the cost to £15 as many on here suggest that would amount to £75,000 a loss of £35,000 per game
To make up that loss we would require another 2,333 full paying adults per game just to attain the £22 per ticket income level.

Onceinawhile
12-09-2015, 10:30 AM
For arguments sake lets say we have 5000 adults paying £22 that's an income of £110,000
If we reduce the cost to £15 as many on here suggest that would amount to £75,000 a loss of £35,000 per game
To make up that loss we would require another 2,333 full paying adults per game just to attain the £22 per ticket income level.

Which just wouldn't happen.

I'd love for prices to come down as it would mean I could attend more often, but I'm also fully aware that prices need to be where they are.

frazeHFC
12-09-2015, 10:40 AM
£22 is a joke for a game like this. If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I'd pay that to go (can't make it anyway today tho).

Would have thought £15 for a game like this would be acceptable.

dp00
12-09-2015, 11:11 AM
£22 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £18.
£18 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £15.
£15 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £10.
£10 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was £5.
£5 is too expensive, but I'd go if it was free.
Free is too expensive, but I'd go if I got a free pie.
A free pie is too expensive, but I'd go if I was given a chauffeur driven limo there and home.

At what point is it too expensive to go? I'd say that if £2 or £3 makes that much of a difference, then attending a football match should be well down the list of priorities.

When I have the free time to go, I'd agree that £22 represents poor value for the standard of football I'm likely to see, particularly given the defensive approach taken by most of our visitors. But I make the decision to go to watch Hibs and accept the price in the same way that I have to accept the price for anything else that I want to buy or else I can't get it.

Pretty sure this is a forum for people to voice the opinions

Smartie
12-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I was quite vocal on the thread about the price for the Aberdeen game but I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite here and say that I don't have much of a problem with this price.

The league is our bread and butter and the most important competition we're in this year - every game we play in it is vital. Stubbs and Dempster have assembled a strong squad with depth in every position, quality all over the park and flexibility regarding formations we can play. The money for that has to come from somewhere, so I really don't have a problem with £22 for a competitive league game. Alloa may not be the strongest opposition but does any Hibs fan in their right mind go to see the opposition? No, absolutely not. We should win today and if we win by 3 or 4 goals there will be nobody who is leaving that stadium feeling they haven't got value for money.

So, for today's game, with today's squad I really don't have an issue with the price. As for what was being charged when we were watching Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher's squads, that is an entirely different story. Were people happier because they were getting to see the likes of Celtic, Rangers (as they were then) Aberdeen and ICT?

Where I do have a problem with price is for the cup games. Essentially - and imo only - the cups are 2nd rate competitions this year. The League Cup is the same every year although when we are in the Premier League the Scottish Cup is actually the big one for me. They are still reasonable money-earners for Hibs though, the more so the further they get. That's why I'd like to see Hibs exercise more flexibility, drop prices in those games and ensure the biggest crowds possible to cheer us on and hopefully drive us through to money-spinning later rounds. They may lose a small amount of money in doing so but there are few enough of these games that a little bit of "speculate to accumulate" and simply showing a bit of goodwill to the fan base by giving something back and dropping the prices would be a good idea. I found the advertising of prices from a fiver then keeping it up at £20 for adults frankly insulting.

I do have sympathy with the fans who have been priced out of football though.

Hibernia&Alba
12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
In a perfect world I would say around £15 is reasonable for a Scottish Championship game, but we all know how expensive football has become. The era of entry for the price of a couple of pints before the match are gone forever.

Future17
12-09-2015, 03:08 PM
I watch about 5 games a week. That'll do for now thanks. I think Hibs play attractive football. Played the right way. Maybe stick to Match of the Day.

So were you entertained by the games versus Morton and Stranraer?

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2015, 04:26 PM

I was and again today :-)

Sir David Gray
12-09-2015, 07:12 PM
£22 is too expensive but when an adult season ticket works out to be at least £20 per match (early bird) and just over £21 without an early bird then you can understand why walk up prices really cannot be any cheaper than they currently are.

If walk up prices were reduced down to £15, adult season tickets would need to be reduced by around £100 in order for them to still be value for money an that's not likely to happen.

Gatecrasher
12-09-2015, 07:22 PM
If you want to watch a Hibs team to match the calibre of Morton or faith then we pay the 17 or 18 quid. Looking at that Hibs team today I would rather pay the extra and help our promotion chances.

HNA7
12-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Could you give it a rest please.

And if you're going to continue reporting posts just because you don't like someone you'll get a week off. We've got better things to do with our time.

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I felt I recieved value for miney today with my ST. Long may it continue.

scoopyboy
12-09-2015, 07:39 PM

I think it's highly likely Underscore was at the game when you posed the question, considering it was not long into the second half at Easter Road.

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2015, 07:43 PM
We have one of the strongest squads in Scotland, we are not far away from really clicking. Today was so one-sided and feel we will see this in our favour more often....

Entertainment, you betcha!!!!!!!!

gegs70
12-09-2015, 07:44 PM
We do pay far too much, gates are falling only 7700 bothered to turn out today. Sure drop the prices but we need to add more to the gate....

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2015, 07:48 PM
We do pay far too much, gates are falling only 7700 bothered to turn out today. Sure drop the prices but we need to add more to the gate....

Regularity of winning games, and the pricing will soon be a distant memory.....Winning team on park and the fans will come...

Golden Bear
12-09-2015, 07:53 PM
We have one of the strongest squads in Scotland, we are not far away from really clicking. Today was so one-sided and feel we will see this in our favour more often....

Entertainment, you betcha!!!!!!!!

Sounds good. I was all set to go up until 1pm then I noticed that the Walker Cup was on the box so that's what I opted for. Friggin part timers, don't you just hate them

Eyrie
12-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Pretty sure this is a forum for people to voice the opinions

And that was why I shared my opinion on the matter.

I wasn't there today because I was catching up with friends I hadn't seen for a year, not because of the price.

IberianHibernian
12-09-2015, 10:54 PM
When people talk about pricing not affecting crowds on these message boards there are a few things to take into account :
1. A lot ( maybe most ) of the people here are Hibernian mad so will pay whatever club asks for whether season ticket holders , walk up or overseas TV season ticket .
2. Have crowds with/ without reduced prices really been analysed ?
3. In our case , we were relegated against all the odds ( a manager leaves us challenging for Europe in November and we end up relegated ) yet club decided to still charge top league prices when relegated and again a year later . In those circumstances , maintaining prices would always produce a backlash .
Summary : All been debated already but still believe price does affect attendances and a lot .

IWasThere2016
12-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I agree that the pricing structure needs reviewed. It really is a false economy because on the one hand its ok saying we need to keep prices to compete (which we are a million miles away from doing) but on the other hand how many neutrals or floaters will pay £22 to watch Hibs v Alloa? Especially when we are mid table and a mile off the pace....again. Ive been to two English Premiership games this season for less than £22. And another thing - we are not a top flight club, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself.

Yup. Games at The Etihad to see Silva, Aguero, Kompany etc are cheaper. I was £15 for the wee man to see Roma and Bayern Munich last season, and £40 to see Barca. All in not much more than taking him to ER to see Cowden, Alloa and Raith ffs!

PatHead
12-09-2015, 11:31 PM
When people talk about pricing not affecting crowds on these message boards there are a few things to take into account :
1. A lot ( maybe most ) of the people here are Hibernian mad so will pay whatever club asks for whether season ticket holders , walk up or overseas TV season ticket .
2. Have crowds with/ without reduced prices really been analysed ?
3. In our case , we were relegated against all the odds ( a manager leaves us challenging for Europe in November and we end up relegated ) yet club decided to still charge top league prices when relegated and again a year later . In those circumstances , maintaining prices would always produce a backlash .
Summary : All been debated already but still believe price does affect attendances and a lot .

The answers to your points 2 and 3 are as follows (don't think 1 needs an answer as it is a statement)

2. Yes they have and a reduction in price does not correlate with an increase in price enough to bring in the same income. That in turn affects budget which in turn affects the quality of our squad, which would lead to a smaller attendance.

3. A lot of fans had already bought season tickets before we were relegated so the price couldn't be changed. Season tickets were reduced in price for this season and all the money invested in the squad.

So in summary you are wrong in your beliefs that price affects attendance a lot.

Crowds will come back when we are winning games by a margin on a regular basis and return to the top division.

Future17
13-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I think it's highly likely Underscore was at the game when you posed the question, considering it was not long into the second half at Easter Road.

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Frogga
13-09-2015, 11:00 AM
£22 is far too steep (£15 is more realistic) but I'm happy to pay it if it means supporting my team. I think Leann agreed with fans groups that they'd rather keep prices high and help the team financially.

HappyAsHellas
13-09-2015, 11:20 AM
We gave free tickets away at a game last season with little or no difference to attendance figures. We can't compare prices with other leagues as their pricing structures are aided greatly with TV money, something that will never happen in the Scottish championship. If we go on a run of winning games by 3 or 4 goals then more people will start to come back. It will be slow going though, although promotion by whatever route will certainly help. I pay my money to watch Hibs and yesterday was very entertaining I thought with some nice football being played. Whether it was value for money or not is a personal opinion, but we're paying for our squad so it makes sense to me.

Keith_M
13-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Yup. Games at The Etihad to see Silva, Aguero, Kompany etc are cheaper. I was £15 for the wee man to see Roma and Bayern Munich last season, and £40 to see Barca. All in not much more than taking him to ER to see Cowden, Alloa and Raith ffs!

Maybe, but when you add in the cost of flights and accommodation, I'm sure it's more than 22 quid ;)

On a more serious note, it's easy enough to compare our prices negatively against Clubs that are subsidised by massive TV, Advertising and Rich Arab Millions but Hibs don't have that.

How do you suggest Hibs reduce their prices with the restrictions they have, and still be able to compete?

3pm
13-09-2015, 12:07 PM

How much was it when you went to see Man City against the likes of Gillingham, Notts County and Huddersfield all those years ago?

liamh2202
13-09-2015, 12:26 PM
I think it may be too late now. Football is now perceived as an expensive sport by many and because of that no offer now and again will work IMO.

Frogga
13-09-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't think our prices are terrible when you compare to the grand scheme of things. Yes they are overpriced, but so is most UK football. I've been to quite a few average English games over the years and found them to be pretty expensive, including £30+ to watch Championship games such as Fulham and Millwall, £40+ to watch the likes of Newcastle and West Ham and £60+ to watch Arsenal and Chelsea. I wouldn't say I enjoyed any of those games more than watching Hibs, despite the gulf in quality.

Iceman1875
13-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I agree £22 is steep for the league we are in but given the squad we are currently paying for, I understand why!

I am a walk up supporter and attend around 8 games during the season, both home and away.
What I'd like to see is 'kids for a £1' with a paying adult OR a six game package for say £100 or so.

At Easter Road we play...

Alfred E Newman
13-09-2015, 05:55 PM

You would need to lower the season ticket prices as well which would have a massive effect on our summer transfer budget.

Smartie
13-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I was more than happy with what we got to see for our £22 yesterday.

matty_f
13-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Posted this fairly mammoth suggestion about pricing and tickets on the PM board, thought it might be relevant here as well..(apologies for the length of post, credit to anyone that makes it to the end!)

I've been giving this (and the broader topic of filling Easter Road regularly) some thought, and I think the only chance Hibs have got is to radically change the approach to pricing, and to the season ticket model overall. This is what I'd propose, and I appreciate that because it's back-of-a-fag-packet logic at the moment there will be some holes in it, and also that it wouldn't be universally popular, but please bear with me...

First thing, it's not about price. It's about value. If things just came down to price we'd all drive the cheapest cars, all sit in economy on flights, and all brush our teeth with Tesco Value toothpaste. We don't, because we put value in what we pay for. At the moment, 7000-odd Hibs fans see value in a season ticket, many others clearly don't.

So, the first thing I'd do is take a tiered approach to season tickets, carrying on the Tesco analogy, we could have the equivalent of Value, Standard, and Finest ranges of season tickets.

The Value range would, for example, give you all Cat B games, and I'd make this season ticket available at a discount for anyone claiming benefits. There are no other benefits to this category of ticket, it's simply your seat for the Cat B matches. Cup games etc wouldn't be included. These seats would be in the peripheral areas of the ground, either end of the East, and a section of the South (assuming that we can adequately fill the rest of the East). The only notable perk would be a 10% discount in the club store.

The Standard range would be as you are now for season tickets. Cat A and B, with cup top up thrown in, and available in most areas of the ground. This would be priced higher than the value range, in line with current ST pricing, but because it has the cup games included, there's some added value in getting this one. You get 15% discount in the club store with this one.

The Finest range is all home games, and first dibs on tickets for away. These are available in the best view seats in the stadium unless the purchaser chooses to sit elsewhere (i.e. they're not restricted to the best seats). The ticket includes one hospitality match per season, a program each match, and Hibs TV subscription as standard, and a 20% discount in the club store. It's not a cheap season ticket but given the inclusions, it's going to be good value for those that can afford it.

The next thing is to look at how we attract and retain season ticket holders. I will use Sky as an example here because I'm going to pinch some of their more aggressive marketing and sales techniques for this. Currently, we can't use new season ticket holder deals because, let's face it, all of us that have had season tickets for years would be a bit cheesed off at this. We also can't use retention offers, because nobody would renew until we got the email or call from Hibs telling us we could have 20% off our season tickets. Like folk do with Sky. :greengrin

Our pricing structure and season ticket set up prevents the club doing anything like that as things stand. It also stops us being able to discount walk-ups to the extent that we need to in order to fill Easter Road. So we find ourselves in the position where a season ticket is stretching it's credibility as a value-for-money way to attend, and walk-up prices are artificially high to give an illusion of value to the season tickets.

So, I propose ditching the single-season season ticket, and adopting a multiple-season ticket instead.

What this allows the club to do is offer everyone an attraction offer. If you are an existing season ticket holder you can move onto the multiple-season ticket at a discount, and if you're a non-season ticket holder, you can get your first one at the same discount.

Let's say we offer a single season, two season, and three season offering. Again, we need to put value into those offerings.

The single season ticket represents the least value of the three, and so is available with virtually no discount, if any discount at all.

The two season offering is offered at first season full price, second season half price.

The three season offering is offered at seasons one and two full price, third season free (or substantially discounted).

What this does now is it gives the club a segmented season ticket population to market to. Your three season Finest range season ticket holder is where you want everyone to be, so you know who is in that bracket already and you can keep them there with targeted marketing - at the end of season two, you're offering them a further three years with another exclusive discount - maybe repeating the deal but giving them hospitality at a game, or inviting them to a selected invitee event held by the club.

The two-season ticket holders can be marketed to at the end of season one. Extend at a discount, a bigger discount if they upgrade to a two-season Finest or extend to a three-season ticket.

The finer details of the offerings would need to be costed and tested, but the examples above are just to illustrate the point, rather than provide a specific deal or deals.

It gives the club sight of their season ticket funds several years in advance, and allows it to budget accordingly, as well as opening up a tiered season ticket base paying different prices that suit their individual needs - giving value for money rather than saying "well, that's the cost, take it or leave it."

In the same way that a flight going from Heathrow to New York will start in the same place and end at the same place regardless of how expensive your seat is, those that want first class and are prepared to pay for it can have it, whilst those that want economy class and aren't bothered how comfy the flight is, can get it as well.

We also need to address how much a family ticket costs. I can afford to take my son with me, it becomes more expensive if I want to bring my daughters and even more so if Mrs Matty wants a season ticket. We have to consider a full family season ticket, and price it within the average family's budget whether they have one kid or five kids. You might have to live with someone trying to get a kid that's not theirs or whatever, but if you say a family season ticket costs the equivalent of two adult season tickets for example, but if you've three kids, they're included, if you've four - they're included as well, if you've only one kid and they only go with one parent, then separate tickets would be a cheaper way of going than a family ticket.

That's what I'd do with season tickets, I also think that we need to change how we think about filling the ground as things stand.

We do great work getting schools through the gates at Easter Road just now, and that's commendable but actually the repeat-attendance decision is naturally not the child's to make, so even if they have a great time, if their parents don't fancy it, it's going to be tough to get that kid through the gates again.

We should be offering a second visit at a hefty discount, a third at a smaller discount, and then a discounted season ticket.

We should also be looking at offering either free or substantially discounted walk-up tickets to residents within a certain radius of Easter Road (subject to a take-up limit, i.e. first 1000 people get a ticket) - if we engage with the people on our doorstep and make it easy for them to come, we start to a) take advantage of our community and the part we play in the community, and b) get people out their houses and into the stadium.

Getting regular attendees from the local community strengthens the club's support base. Looking at the discussion around atmosphere, one of the key complaints is that it's hard to generate atmosphere with an empty stadium, well let's fill it, let the atmosphere take care of itself, and have people leaving Easter Road wanting more. Again, we bring them in on a traditional retail-esque loss-leader, but we capture their details on the database when we give them their tickets, we contact them again and invite them back at a discount, and again, and again, and then we get them buying season tickets.

I get that folk will think "why should they get free tickets" and "what about the out-of-towners" and other objections, but IMHO Hibs need to focus first and foremost on the population on their doorstep. The people that go by Easter Road on their way to work, or can see the stands from their bedroom window, because it's easiest for us to become part of their lives. Winning that fight makes winning over the distant demograph of potential supporters that bit easier because we can point to a fuller stadium, with a better atmosphere if we do.

I don't expect that approach to be hugely popular, but IMHO it needs to be done, or at least something different needs to be done. What we have now doesn't work, and won't all of a sudden start working. Even the standard of football improving will only have a limited impact on attendances now. Too many people have been away too long. There is too much cynicism towards the club, too much water under the bridge for some. We need to do something different and give these people a reason to come back. Make it easy and attractive for them. At the moment, it's neither.

Danderhall Hibs
13-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Posted this fairly mammoth suggestion about pricing and tickets on the PM board, thought it might be relevant here as well..(apologies for the length of post, credit to anyone that makes it to the end!)

Have you sent that on to Leann mate?

greenlex
13-09-2015, 10:16 PM
We've priced games much lower and it's made little or no difference to attendance.

matty_f
13-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Have you sent that on to Leann mate?

Sent similar to Greig Mailer, we were due to get back in touch about it a while back but it hasn't happened due to holidays and job changes etc.

Jones28
13-09-2015, 11:07 PM
£22 is a joke for a game like this. If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I'd pay that to go (can't make it anyway today tho).

Would have thought £15 for a game like this would be acceptable.
To make up the shortfall every walk up fan would have to bring 2 mates though.

The price is price because the budget is at a level to get us out the league.

The likes of Morton, Alloa, Dumbarton aren't looking to be promoted in the same way we are. The don't have the fan base to fund a push for promotion so can afford to drop prices a bit. It's a simplistic argument but its a logical one.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2015, 05:33 AM

Good point Matty. For too long the club rightly or wrongly focused solely on STs. At LWT I suggested that there would come a tipping point on STs and we'd need to consider something else - membership was already being talked about but the question for me - which you've addressed "is how do we convert walk ups"? I'd suggested that if you have your stubs with a registered member of the database that should be deducted from the season ticket.
We need to be able to track and monitor conversion. Look at who buys from us and see if they are going to the games. Do all the Hibs tots have families that go to the game? If having a young family means infrequent attendance what alternatives does the club offer to entice or get them involved - were getting better.with

J-C
14-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Do the club give tickets to local schools for matches, this is one way of getting the kids involved and maybe making sure an adult is with them at a discounted price of say £10 per attendance. Once they come and hopefully get the bug a discounted parent and child ticket could be on offer at say £20 for the 2.

PatHead
14-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Do the club give tickets to local schools for matches, this is one way of getting the kids involved and maybe making sure an adult is with them at a discounted price of say £10 per attendance. Once they come and hopefully get the bug a discounted parent and child ticket could be on offer at say £20 for the 2.

Last season we gave away tickets to every school in Edinburgh, East Lothian and Midlothian on at least 2 occasions. A new scheme is being finalised and should be in place in the next couple of weeks. (Afraid these things always take longer than we think!) In the meantime we have still given out tickets to schools.

We also give tickets to boys (and girls) clubs and give them access to the pitch at half time. These schemes are in an effort to encourage the next generation of fans. Not to mention the tots training, school holiday camps at East Mains, Meadowbank and in the Borders.

Kojock
14-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Hibs did the multi season ticket a few years back. I bought a three year ticket, the only incentive was that you got the three years all at the current annual price ie if the price was £300 per year your 3 year ticket cost £900.

Ozyhibby
14-09-2015, 09:20 AM
It's not the prices that are keeping people away. We need to start winning every week and scoring multiple goals in the process. Start doing that on a consistent basis and people will return.

scoopyboy
14-09-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm not really sure what your point is.

My point was you are asking someone a question like that during the game.

Either, A. you weren't at the game or B. You were bored not long into the second half that you felt the need to ask Underscore a question that could easily have waited until after the game.

Dav1986
14-09-2015, 09:31 AM

I like the tesco analogy for season tickets. The details of which I would change slightly for example.

Value - category b games
Standard- as is just now with category a and b games
Finest- cup top up included.

All of them including the club store discounts that you mentioned! Not sure about the hospitality for finest. Would depend on the pricing of the ST I'd say whether that may be a viable option. If u had 3000 fans at the finest and had to give them hospitality at one match during the season. Would the club lose money from people who would pay for hospitality at these games?

As a side note, Saturday was my first game of the season. Didn't mind paying the £22 as it's hibs, and I was entertained. I'm happy to be paying £20 for the Aberdeen game too!!

matty_f
14-09-2015, 09:35 AM
I like the tesco analogy for season tickets. The details of which I would change slightly for example.

Value - category b games
Standard- as is just now with category a and b games
Finest- cup top up included.

All of them including the club store discounts that you mentioned! Not sure about the hospitality for finest. Would depend on the pricing of the ST I'd say whether that may be a viable option. If u had 3000 fans at the finest and had to give them hospitality at one match during the season. Would the club lose money from people who would pay for hospitality at these games?

As a side note, Saturday was my first game of the season. Didn't mind paying the £22 as it's hibs, and I was entertained. I'm happy to be paying £20 for the Aberdeen game too!!

To be honest i was just chucking a few things in to show you could add value to the price. The club store discounts is to give folk a reason to spend money at the club which recoups the discount and generates more income.

Dav1986
14-09-2015, 09:39 AM
To be honest i was just chucking a few things in to show you could add value to the price. The club store discounts is to give folk a reason to spend money at the club which recoups the discount and generates more income.

I think the discounts in club store is a good idea as is majority of the rest of the post. Just wasn't sure about the hospitality part of it but if it's something that the club took forward I'd trust that they'd done their homework on it.

It's certainly something different and warrants being looked into a bit more :aok:

matty_f
14-09-2015, 09:42 AM
I think the discounts in club store is a good idea as is majority of the rest of the post. Just wasn't sure about the hospitality part of it but if it's something that the club took forward I'd trust that they'd done their homework on it.

It's certainly something different and warrants being looked into a bit more :aok:

:thumbsup: cheers!

Bad Martini
14-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I really think the point is being missed here and oversimplified by many.

The bottom line; football (all football) is (arguably) overpriced. Most would agree the prices to get into fitba grounds across the country in the top flight leagues is too high for what it is.

BUT, thats a different argument from OUR prices in isolation.

The bottom line; we have a squad of players at a certain level. Irrespective of the teams we play AGAINST, we are paying our own squad. That requires a certain amount of money, as does the upkeep and maintainance of a training facility and a big **** off stadium with mortgages to be paid.

...so if we cut prices long term (not one or two games or giveaways or deals) but reduce prices as some would like, what do we do to fund our squad and our overheads?

The argument as to why we have such overheads is a different debate.
The argument as to the price of fibta generally is another different debate.

...what is not a different debate is paying our way out this ****ty league. That requires players of a certain standard and enough of them. Canny have it both ways. Dont get me wrong, it gauls me to consider why we're here and what we paid on the way down. No doubt. But two wrongs wont make a right and cutting now will cut our resources and the vicious circle will go on, we'll be stuck in this ****knowswheresville league for a longer period of time and loose more money.

:agree:

CallumLaidlaw
14-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure how people can compare our prices to the English Premier league. Yes the players on show are light years ahead, but thats what happens when you have a multi billion pound TV deal, and billionaire owners. And not all games are cheap. Everton v Stoke - £34.
And it doesnt compare for another reason - Hibs are my number 1. I would watch Hibs v ANYONE over any other football match going, because it's their result that matters to me.

Yes the pricing is a little steep, but the last few years have backed the current board into this corner. Reducing the prices does not guarantee increased attendance as has been shown in the past, so to make a decision to drastically reduce prices (and £22 to £15 is drastic) is a huge risk. Now, what the club COULD do next season is put an incentive in place to say if X number of people sign up for a ST, then they will be X amount, but the more that sign up, the cheaper the ST. And then depending on the average match price due to the ST price, the walk up price could be set. Eg -

7000 ST sold - £360 - (£2,520,000 income)
8000 ST sold - £340 - (£2,720,000 income)
9000 ST sold - £305 - (£2,745,000 income)
10,000 ST sold - £280 - (£2,800,000 income)
11,000 ST sold - £260 - (£2,860,000 income)
12,000+ ST sold - £250 - (£3,000,000 income)

If we sold 10,000, and had 19 home games next year, the average price of a match on the ST would be £14.73 a match. Could then set the walk up price at £17/£18.

It would mean the ball is in the fans court. The club would be saying, back us and get the financial rewards

southsider
14-09-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure how people can compare our prices to the English Premier league. Yes the players on show are light years ahead, but thats what happens when you have a multi billion pound TV deal, and billionaire owners. And not all games are cheap. Everton v Stoke - £34.
And it doesnt compare for another reason - Hibs are my number 1. I would watch Hibs v ANYONE over any other football match going, because it's their result that matters to me.

Yes the pricing is a little steep, but the last few years have backed the current board into this corner. Reducing the prices does not guarantee increased attendance as has been shown in the past, so to make a decision to drastically reduce prices (and £22 to £15 is drastic) is a huge risk. Now, what the club COULD do next season is put an incentive in place to say if X number of people sign up for a ST, then they will be X amount, but the more that sign up, the cheaper the ST. And then depending on the average match price due to the ST price, the walk up price could be set. Eg -

7000 ST sold - £360 - (£2,520,000 income)
8000 ST sold - £340 - (£2,720,000 income)
9000 ST sold - £305 - (£2,745,000 income)
10,000 ST sold - £280 - (£2,800,000 income)
11,000 ST sold - £260 - (£2,860,000 income)
12,000+ ST sold - £250 - (£3,000,000 income)

If we sold 10,000, and had 19 home games next year, the average price of a match on the ST would be £14.73 a match. Could then set the walk up price at £17/£18.

It would mean the ball is in the fans court. The club would be saying, back us and get the financial rewards

These figures presume they are all adults. Attract kids, students, OAP's, disabled at £50 - £100

liamh2202
14-09-2015, 02:42 PM
It's not the prices that are keeping people away. We need to start winning every week and scoring multiple goals in the process. Start doing that on a consistent basis and people will return.

Some people will return . I personally don't think as many will as in the past. I think in this moment of time a fair percentage of our fan base has moved on and it will take more than a run of wins to get them back.

Ringothedog
14-09-2015, 03:32 PM
I would certainly have cheaper tickets in the FF stand. Probably around £22 for an adult and child and another £5 for each additional child.

matty_f
14-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Some people will return . I personally don't think as many will as in the past. I think in this moment of time a fair percentage of our fan base has moved on and it will take more than a run of wins to get them back.

It will be a combination of factors rather than one specific thing that brings fans back.

Onion
14-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Agreed. Match pricing only becomes an issue when your team is doing poorly. When things are going well, fans feel theio have borrowed beyond their means have reaped the rewards, with little to no repercussions. Hardly surprising that gates are down.

Agreed. Match pricing only becomes an issue when your team is doing poorly. When things are going well, fans feel their £20 is being spent wisely, that their few quid is contributing to the success, and that they're getting value for money. Sadly, Hibs have had too many seasons of management pissing the gate receipts away, while those who have borrowed beyond their means have reaped the rewards, with little to no repercussions. Hardly surprising that gates are down.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2015, 03:47 PM
I agree £22 is steep for the league we are in but given the squad we are currently paying for, I understand why!

I am a walk up supporter and attend around 8 games during the season, both home and away.
What I'd like to see is 'kids for a £1' with a paying adult OR a six game package for say £100 or so.

At Easter Road we play...

I suppose £22 may not be the most ridiculous price but I think the existing structure puts parents taking kids/family along.

We would have come along as a family on Sat but that turns into £56 for a Hibs v Alloa game. Add in petrol/food then it very quickly turns into an expensive afternoon out. Over £70.

So that's why there was at least 2 less in attendance on Sat.

Future17
14-09-2015, 06:21 PM
My point was you are asking someone a question like that during the game.

Either, A. you weren't at the game or B. You were bored not long into the second half that you felt the need to ask Underscore a question that could easily have waited until after the game.

Fair enough, but I don't really see why that's relevant. I wasn't at the game, but Dotnet isn't Snapchat - if he chose to answer my question he could do so at any time.

I wasn't expecting him to be sitting with his phone out at ER. For a start, you can hardly get a signal! :-)