PDA

View Full Version : Alloa!

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2015, 12:59 PM
We should all wear floral garlands tomorrow.

LaMotta
11-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I'll be furious if I can't get myself a slice of ham and pineapple pizza from the food outlets.

Spike Mandela
11-09-2015, 01:20 PM
We should all wear floral garlands tomorrow.

Trust me, if you want to welcome Alloa you should wear a 90's shell suit, have a self penned RFC tattoo and be carrying a bottle of Buckie.

weecounty hibby
11-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Trust me, if you want to welcome Alloa you should wear a 90's shell suit, have a self penned RFC tattoo and be carrying a bottle of Buckie.
Oi!! Just cos you're an incomer no need to slag off those of us born and bred here. Look how well I can type with my extra fingers. And I have certainly not got any RFC tats. And apparently it's joggies and a hoodie now not shell suits!! Buckie is still the popular choice of drink though

Jim44
11-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Oi!! Just cos you're an incomer no need to slag off those of us born and bred here. Look how well I can type with my extra fingers. And I have certainly not got any RFC tats. And apparently it's joggies and a hoodie now not shell suits!! Buckie is still the popular choice of drink though

A wee bit off topic but I was at a gig in Bellshill ( :rolleyes: I know ) once. The makeshift bar had two carousel optic stands and one of them had six bottles of Buckie. The other one only had four bottles of Buckie, a bottle of gin and a bottle of vodka. :greengrin

O'Rourke3
12-09-2015, 12:01 AM
A wee bit off topic but I was at a gig in Bellshill ( :rolleyes: I know ) once. The makeshift bar had two carousel optic stands and one of them had six bottles of Buckie. The other one only had four bottles of Buckie, a bottle of gin and a bottle of vodka. :greengrin

My first Old Firm game as a member of staff in The Artisan caused the customer and I great confusion. He asked for two sherries. I produced the agreed house version. He looked and asked "Do you not sell it in half pints?"

DH1875
12-09-2015, 08:17 AM
You can buy buckie in a lot of the pubs through here and its not by the shot either, its by the glass. My brother stays in a kite hole of a town and in his local, you can buy it by the PINT.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-09-2015, 11:31 AM
My first Old Firm game as a member of staff in The Artisan caused the customer and I great confusion. He asked for two sherries. I produced the agreed house version. He looked and asked "Do you not sell it in half pints?"

Is the pic of Bestie that hangs/hung on the wall, one that was taken in the Artisan?

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 11:39 AM
You can buy buckie in a lot of the pubs through here and its not by the shot either, its by the glass. My brother stays in a kite hole of a town and in his local, you can buy it by the PINT.

It's not uncommon to see Buckfast behind a bar in Northern Ireland, particularly Belfast.

In my old work we had a wedding and the grooms family were from.Belfast, they asked if we would stock it for the event. We were reluctant but eventually agreed and it flew off the shelf. I can't for the life of me remember what measure we solf it in but it was definitely getting poured out of one glass and into a pint glass.

I don't mind it tbh. It's not my first choice of drink but I've been known to have a swig or 2 if offered.

O'Rourke3
12-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Is the pic of Bestie that hangs/hung on the wall, one that was taken in the Artisan?
Cannae mind.....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Keith_M
12-09-2015, 01:00 PM
The first time I ever saw a member of the species Nedus Shelsuitius wasn't in Glasgow, it was in Alloa.

There was one guy I used to see regularly when I moved there in the early 90s's that wore the same clothes every day: Celtic Top, White Shellsuit Trousers, White Nike's and Football Socks to tuck his Trousers into.

I often wondered if he was the original and all the Weegies just copied him.

Smartie
12-09-2015, 01:15 PM
It's not uncommon to see Buckfast behind a bar in Northern Ireland, particularly Belfast.

In my old work we had a wedding and the grooms family were from.Belfast, they asked if we would stock it for the event. We were reluctant but eventually agreed and it flew off the shelf. I can't for the life of me remember what measure we solf it in but it was definitely getting poured out of one glass and into a pint glass.

I don't mind it tbh. It's not my first choice of drink but I've been known to have a swig or 2 if offered.

Me too, but it is normally closely followed by bad things happening and then lights out.

I do my best to avoid it.

johnbc70
12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Never had buckfast, how would you describe its taste?

Stax
12-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Fizzy marzipan

johnbc70
12-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Fizzy marzipan

I quite like marzipan!

Smartie
12-09-2015, 04:54 PM

It's taste always reminds of one of the darker fruit pastilles.

Strong enough for you to know it is alcoholic, not exactly pleasant but not undrinkable either.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 10:06 PM

Like really thick red wine with some melted black fruit pastilles thrown in.

Forza Fred
12-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Never tasted Buckfast, and too old and scared to try it.

However, I wonder if anyone remembers what may have been a predecessor from the early 70's.

SCOTSMAC......aka A Wham's Dram.....was supposedly a mixture of whisky and wine, and I remember my brother and I going halfes in a half bottle for an away trip on the bus to Kilmarnock.

It was so bad that we literally had to hold our noses when we drank it, in the hope that we wouldn't suffer the awful taste.

It was our first and last purchase of a two bob half bottle, and no, despite its godawful taste, the thought of throwing it away undrunk , never crossed our minds.

Once good money had been forked out, it HAD to be drunk!

But never again.:greengrin

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 10:29 PM

However, I wonder if anyone remembers what may have been a predecessor from the early 70's.

SCOTSMAC......aka A Wham's Dram.....was supposedly a mixture of whisky and wine, and I remember my brother and I going halfes in a half bottle for an away trip on the bus to Kilmarnock.

It was so bad that we literally had to hold our noses when we drank it, in the hope that we wouldn't suffer the awful taste.

It was our first and last purchase of a two bob half bottle, and no, despite its godawful taste, the thought of throwing it away undrunk , never crossed our minds.

You can still get Scotsmac in Lidl and Morrison's.

Vile stuff.

DH1875
13-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Anyone remember Eldorado (sp?) Awful stuff.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2015, 08:15 AM
A positive thread evoking tropical island paradise is hijacked into a celebration of central Scotland alcoholic degeneracy. I despair of my fellow humans.

Is there any way we can throw Petrie into the mix, just to compound the squalid despair?

One Day
13-09-2015, 08:33 AM

SCOTSMAC ..... Ah the memories, my preferred tipple as a spotty teenager

Mr White
13-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Haven't noticed in bars here yet but then I've hardly been out. A couple of times in the (quite respectable) off licence at the end of the road folk have bought it while I've been in. The guy behind the counter said they sell a lot of it and it's on fairly prominent display. No wonder the province is ****ed :greengrin

Forza Fred
13-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Anyone remember Eldorado (sp?) Awful stuff.

I remember Eldorado and his cousin Lanliq........both on prominent display when Celtic came to town and saw lots of bottles of above brews bounce off me and people around me in the Cow Shed when John Hughes broke Bobby Duncan's leg.:confused:

emerald green
13-09-2015, 11:16 AM
You can still get Scotsmac in Lidl and Morrison's.

Vile stuff.

:agree: The bam's dram we used to call it.

Forza Fred
13-09-2015, 11:20 AM
A positive thread evoking tropical island paradise is hijacked into a celebration of central Scotland alcoholic degeneracy. I despair of my fellow humans.
?

I know exactly what you mean.

I had to emigrate at 23 to escape the clutches of the demon drinking culture in Scotland.

Now, where's that Stubbie of VB:wink:

Pretty Boy
13-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Do you still get Thunderbird?

Sure I remember drinking that at a party when I was about 16.

Turkish Green
13-09-2015, 11:51 AM

It was so bad that we literally had to hold our noses when we drank it, in the hope that we wouldn't suffer the awful taste

Scotsmac was concocted by the late Limmy Wham and 'bottled' in the now disappeared Viking in Largs. The Viking was across the road from a previous GF of mine. Cheap whisky & even cheaper wine. It was vile.

Keith_M
13-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Is there any way we can throw Petrie into the mix, just to compound the squalid despair?

Petrie drinks Thunderbird and Coke.

Wilson
13-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Do you still get Thunderbird?

Do you have to down it in 5..... 4.... 3... 2.. 1. ?

hibs0666
13-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Turbo shandies were bad enough for me.