PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths

greenginger
11-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Leigh Griffiths pleads guilty to singing about the tax refugee Skacel.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/leigh-griffiths-pleads-guilty-to-rudi-skacel-song-charge-1-3883959

Gets admonished.

marinello59
11-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Celtic should sack him.

IanM
11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Celtic should sack him.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jim44
11-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Personally, I think he should be commended for his unselfish donation to charity. ( I assume that's what clubs still do with the money)

Hibs Class
11-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Excellent news - I assume this will be the first of many, many prosecutions for offensive behaviour at the football

mim
11-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Wonder how much it cost to bring this to court? :rolleyes:

Mcpakeisgod
11-09-2015, 11:25 AM
He's an idiot for singing it anyway

Kojock
11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Celtic should sack him.

Think it would be difficult for Celtc to sack him as they would have been aware of his outstanding case prior to employing him :wink:

Gus
11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Total waste of public money & time ffs

allezsauzee
11-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Its the Procurator Fiscal Office that should have been admonished for wasting time and money on this. Helmets

Lago
11-09-2015, 12:01 PM

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/leigh-griffiths-pleads-guilty-to-rudi-skacel-song-charge-1-3883959

Gets admonished.
Much ado about nothing

heretoday
11-09-2015, 12:53 PM
What annoys me is that the Evening News and, no doubt, other rags feel the need to print the song and its lyrics, thereby offending more people than Griffiths did originally.

Then their editorials profess to be shocked and appalled at this behaviour etc etc.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2015, 12:55 PM
I thought the term 'refugee' was ok and 'immigrant' not? Hard to keep up these days.
[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
11-09-2015, 12:59 PM
I thought the term 'refugee' was ok and 'immigrant' not? Hard to keep up these days.
[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are 2 different things.

I don't think it's acceptable, by most standards, to use.either in a pejorative way.

Gus
11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Why not bring the other 300 people in the pub to court? Total waste of money grrrrrr

zlatan
11-09-2015, 01:19 PM
The song is inaccurate, offensive and shouldn't be sung. Skacel would never be welcomed in Germany, or anywhere else outside of Gorgie for that matter.

easty
11-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Why not bring the other 300 people in the pub to court? Total waste of money grrrrrr

can you get 300 people in the Roseburn?

JimBHibees
11-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Excellent news - I assume this will be the first of many, many prosecutions for offensive behaviour at the football

I await the hundreds of trials to be brought to court for football related offensive signing. The Glasgow courts will be heaving.

Geo_1875
11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
What annoys me is that the Evening News and, no doubt, other rags feel the need to print the song and its lyrics, thereby offending more people than Griffiths did originally.

Then their editorials profess to be shocked and appalled at this behaviour etc etc.

I doubt anybody in the Roseburn (apart from possibly some of the bar staff) was offended by Leigh singing that song. The offender in this matter is the person(s) who posted the video to the internet. Will Police Scotland be charging them with an offence? If not, I will be very offended and I'm not easily offended.

J-C
11-09-2015, 02:15 PM
The reason he was admonished is that you would have to argue that all the Hibs fans in this video should be charged and not just a high profile footballer, it was all too easy to charge Leigh and the Fiscal haven't covered themselves in glory here and as someone has said, how much did all this cost.

Diclonius
11-09-2015, 02:29 PM
The whole "it's not offensive because it was a person I like singing it about a person I don't like" line on here is laughable.

I have no time for that player but it doesn't excuse a xenophobic chant.

Hibernia&Alba
11-09-2015, 02:32 PM
It's a horrible song, no question. Whether such examples are worthy of prosecution is another debate - where the line is drawn between free speech on one hand and safety from racist/bigoted behaviour on the other. In relation to the case of Griffiths, I'm sure he won't be singing it again, and hopefully it will send a message to others that demeaning songs of that kind are unacceptable.

snooky
11-09-2015, 03:53 PM
It's a horrible song, no question. Whether such examples are worthy of prosecution is another debate - where the line is drawn between free speech on one hand and safety from racist/bigoted behaviour on the other. In relation to the case of Griffiths, I'm sure he won't be singing it again, and hopefully it will send a message to others that demeaning songs of that kind are unacceptable.

Personally, I think it's a bigger issue to deny the freedom of speech, however offensive it may be.
The way things are going, it will soon be an offence to say anything controversial.
Inch by inch, day by day, our freedom is being eroded by the legislators.

Onion
11-09-2015, 05:44 PM

:top marks That's the ultimate irony. Something which no more than a handful of people in a pub heard is now widely publicised for thousands to feel offended about. The world has gone bonkers.

banarc7062
11-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Anything to try and sell papers as they fight news on the internet. Do not miss reading a newspaper nowadays. GGTTH

coco22
11-09-2015, 06:53 PM
And a hilariously placed e-advert for 'The Shawshank Redemption' at the Kings, half through the article. Just picturing Leigh tunnelling his way out of Sauchton after being wrongly convicted.

Itsnoteasy
11-09-2015, 07:06 PM
I doubt anybody in the Roseburn (apart from possibly some of the bar staff) was offended by Leigh singing that song. The offender in this matter is the person(s) who posted the video to the internet. Will Police Scotland be charging them with an offence? If not, I will be very offended and I'm not easily offended.

Since when was it an offence to post a video online?

lyonhibs
11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

It's a bit like The Sun.

Front page headline "awful shocking scenes in X as Y slaughter Z. All civilised people appalled.

Exclusive images pg 2,3,4-7,11 and 18"

Sir David Gray
11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Absolute joke that this even reached the courts in the first place.

It's only offensive to Rudi Skacel, no-one else.

I look forward to the scores of prosecutions in the coming months for all the Hearts fans who rejoice in calling us "gay".

Mr White
11-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Absolute joke that this even reached the courts in the first place.

It's only offensive to Rudi Skacel, no-one else.

I look forward to the scores of prosecutions in the coming months for all the Hearts fans who rejoice in calling us "gay".
Or their players who tweet it.

Sir David Gray
11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Or their players who tweet it.

:agree: Just to be clear, I think that would be just as ridiculous as the Leigh Griffiths prosecution but fair's fair.

It might be an idea to go after the thousands of Celtic and Sevco fans who sing songs glorifying terrorism every week before going after someone singing a song about someone being a refugee.

Deansy
11-09-2015, 09:05 PM
D

Gets admonished.

Wonder if this'll get the same front-page treatment from the 'Scottish Hun' as Feruz ??

Bostonhibby
11-09-2015, 09:23 PM
[emoji106] Really looking forward to police Scotland wading into the terraces at ibrox for example. So many incidents of sectarianism that it's shooting fish in a barrel. Will pay for the cost of policing the games so everyone is a winner.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2015, 08:29 AM
What happened with the case against him for racists abuse on Twitter? :dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
29-09-2015, 06:25 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34396170

Celtic's Leigh Griffiths has been given a suspended two-match ban and fined £2,500 after admitting singing an offensive song about Rudi Skacel.

The 25-year-old was last week admonished by a sheriff (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34220648) after confessing to the incident in court.

hibbysam
29-09-2015, 08:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34396170

Celtic's Leigh Griffiths has been given a suspended two-match ban and fined £2,500 after admitting singing an offensive song about Rudi Skacel.

The 25-year-old was last week admonished by a sheriff (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34220648) after confessing to the incident in court.

Let's see if the SFA show just as big balls when it comes to homophobia from both the stands and the players at the PBS!

Unseen work
29-09-2015, 09:21 PM
But they fans who sing similar songs every week go unpunished

Spike Mandela
30-09-2015, 01:48 PM
I thought we welcomed refugees?:cb

Baldy Foghorn
30-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I thought we welcomed refugees?:cb

Cellic just donated 60K to refugee crisis......

CallumLaidlaw
30-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Griffiths just donated 60K to refugee crisis......

Changed that for you, seeing as Griffiths got fined something like a months wages by Sellick :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
30-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Changed that for you, seeing as Griffiths got fined something like a months wages by Sellick :wink:

Aye least he could do C........:greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
30-09-2015, 03:26 PM
The bit that bothers me is:-

"The Fiscal told Sheriff Scott it was “a well-known Hibs song” ..."

It's not how I'd describe it.

NAE NOOKIE
30-09-2015, 04:48 PM
How many other people that the police saw singing the song, or who were identifiable from the You Tube video, were arrested or prosecuted? It seems singing the song isn't an offence in itself, but being Leigh Griffiths and singing it is. I don't know about anybody else, but I for one worry about that sort of selective 'justice'

emerald green
30-09-2015, 05:26 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/hearts-slam-drunk-fans-who-shouted-sectarian-abuse

Before some of them try to take the moral high ground as far as Griffiths is concerned.

EDIT: apologies if the link hasn't worked. It's a story about Hearts supporters singing sectarian songs on trains to Glasgow for their game against Celtic last Saturday.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/hearts-slam-drunk-fans-who-shouted-sectarian-abuse

Before some of them try to take the moral high ground as far as Griffiths is concerned.

EDIT: apologies if the link hasn't worked. It's a story about Hearts supporters singing sectarian songs on trains to Glasgow for their game against Celtic last Saturday.

Why indulge in whataboutthemurry? This song needs binned from our catalogue regardless of problems with any other support.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2015, 05:40 PM
The bit that bothers me is:-

"The Fiscal told Sheriff Scott it was “a well-known Hibs song” ..."

It's not how I'd describe it.

It is though. How would you describe it?

emerald green
30-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Why indulge in whataboutthemurry? This song needs binned from our catalogue regardless of problems with any other support.

Why not? It's a discussion forum.

The song is not in my "catalogue" BTW, just to be clear. Despite how much I dislike Skacel.

Prof. Shaggy
30-09-2015, 07:09 PM
It is though. How would you describe it?

Pretty much as below.
My point is it is certainly not a song with which any more than a fairly small number of Hibs supporters identify and one which only a small number would dream about singing. (OK maybe a majority in the Roseburn last March)

I'd like to think there's a pretty significant majority who, at the very least, cringe on the rare occasion it gets an airing during a match.

It's a horrible song, no question.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Pretty much as below.
My point is it is certainly not a song with which any more than a fairly small number of Hibs supporters identify and one which only a small number would dream about singing. (OK maybe a majority in the Roseburn last March)

I'd like to think there's a pretty significant majority who, at the very least, cringe on the rare occasion it gets an airing during a match.

Fair points, but imo given that the incident had wide public exposure as a Hibs song it would be classed as a well known Hibs song.

It's also well known by (I would imagine) the majority of our support (and the hearts support) so in a purely Edinburgh context, it is a well known Hibs song?

Onceinawhile
30-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Why not? It's a discussion forum.

The song is not in my "catalogue" BTW, just to be clear. Despite how much I dislike Skacel.

Because this is a thread about a specific song, us saying others are just as bad (or worse) doesn't disguise the fact it's a honking song.

Imo if the hearts incident was to be brought up it should be on a separate thread. Just my opinion.