PDA

View Full Version : BBC broadcast NFL

Lago
09-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I see that the BBC have signed a 2 year contract to broadcast NFL ( american football ). I am all for supporting minority sports, but NFL football, and still Scottish football gets the crumbs from the BBC table.

stokesmessiah
09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
I see that the BBC have signed a 2 year contract to broadcast NFL ( american football ). I am all for supporting minority sports, but NFL football, and still Scottish football gets the crumbs from the BBC table.

Like it or not, there will be a much larger audience base for NFL in the UK rather than Scottish Football.

Since90+2
09-09-2015, 12:13 PM

There are probably more people in Britain that would be interested in watching the NFL than Scottish football. Sad but true.

GreenLake
09-09-2015, 12:13 PM
My American friends who like this sport hear me refer to it as throwball. The only reason I can come up with as to why they insist on calling the game football is that they consider the kicker to be the most important player. :greengrin

Sylar
09-09-2015, 12:14 PM

:faf:

Colr
09-09-2015, 12:24 PM
'mon the Cheeseheads!!

CB_NO3
09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
It's the worst sport ever.

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Unless I'm totally misreading it's only 4 games plus a highlights show.

The BBC broadcast significantly more Scottish football than this on various platforms.

Wembley67
09-09-2015, 12:26 PM
The costs involved will I imagine be considerably lower for the NFL.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2015, 12:27 PM
'mon the Cheeseheads!!

:flag:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-09-2015, 12:28 PM
As Matt Johnson sang "this is the 51st state of the USA" amongst other prophetic things on The The's Infected album...

Fwiw I used to be really into American Football I could even throw on accurately for a fair distance. But Scottish football get a raw deal from the Beeb .

hibeemikey21
09-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Give it a proper chance (unless you have already)! Used to think the same, but I think is fantastic now. the main reason that it's so difficult to get into is because of how stop start it is.

Colr
09-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Give it a proper chance (unless you have already)! Used to think the same, but I think is fantastic now. the main reason that it's so difficult to get into is because of how stop start it is.

Channel 4 used to do quite a good American Football show in the 80s which included a lot of background about rules and the culture of the game. If they follow a similar format it might be quite interesting.

They're planning to play a couple of games in the new White Hart Lane.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2015, 12:41 PM

a few years ago I would have completely dismissed it but I watched the 2009 superbowl and was hooked. I would watch it ahead of nearly any non hibs game.

NAE NOOKIE
09-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Nah its a great game. As someone on the telly said, "there is no more important player in any team sport than a quarter back" To watch the great ones in action is a real pleasure and that real skill is required to do it well is beyond dispute. I've been a fan since Channel 4 started showing it in the 80s.

Go Jets ................ Unfortunately its not just a strip they have in common with Hibs :greengrin

Thecat23
09-09-2015, 12:54 PM
NFL is superb! Watched it for years and take a hol every year for the Super Bowl final. As another poster said, if you actually take in what's happening and get to know the game it's very good!

Mentalbarnett
09-09-2015, 12:57 PM
They have taken over from channel 4 who had the same rights last year. The NFL has a large following in the UK the more games on council telly than sky the better.

GreenLake
09-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Jim44
09-09-2015, 02:15 PM
American rounders is better than American rugby.

Steve20
09-09-2015, 02:20 PM

It is terrible, but I still think Rugby and Cricket are worse.

Hibernia&Alba
09-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Like it or not, there will be a much larger audience base for NFL in the UK rather than Scottish Football.

I can't believe that's the case.

Oscar T Grouch
09-09-2015, 02:41 PM
'mon the Cheeseheads!!

Packers suck. Mon the Bears 😜

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 02:43 PM

You're both wrong.

Dolphins!

Haymaker
09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
You all suck. Signed The Patriots.

NAE NOOKIE
09-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Once you get to understand how the game works it has many fascinating aspects to it ... its far from just being about brute strength.

An understanding of the game enabled us fans of the NFL to appreciate that the coach of the Seattle Seahawks at the very end of last years Superbowl made probably the dumbest decision ever made by any sports coach in the history of any final in any major team sport ever .... it was truly spectacular :greengrin

To be fair some may say it was unbelievably brave.

Hibernia&Alba
09-09-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't understand it, and it stops for too often, but I see why people are interested. Baseball, though, is total pish.

NAE NOOKIE
09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't understand it, and it stops for too often, but I see why people are interested. Baseball, though, is total pish.

I don't mind it ..... a 'double play' in Baseball is truly great to watch.

Hibernia&Alba
09-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Rugby is a great game, and I like limited overs cricket, where a team is chasing a target and smashing it all around the ground.

Golf will always be the worst sport in the world for me.

HH81
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Went to Chargers stadium once. Class ground a guy let us in and have a walk about one random day. He then give us a bag on the way out with some of their stuff like a shirt and that. Decent I thought.

Never watched a game though.

HH81
09-09-2015, 02:57 PM

You thonk wrong. Both can be more exciting than football at times.

MKHIBEE
09-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Just seen Jim White on SSN in a helicopter, cringeworthy few seconds of sign language.
Anyway, mon the Redskins.

hibee_nation
09-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Right league guys NFC North but I'll be back at Wembly in November cheering on the Lions a team like Hibs who can't win the big cup 😂

itslegaltender
09-09-2015, 04:17 PM
You can all kiss my grits.

Cowboys are the team!

Sammy7nil
09-09-2015, 04:54 PM
NFL is superb! Watched it for years and take a hol every year for the Super Bowl final. As another poster said, if you actually take in what's happening and get to know the game it's very good!

:agree::agree::agree:

SmashinGlass
09-09-2015, 05:10 PM
You all suck. Signed The Cheats.

Fixed that for you. The patriots are the NFL's yam equivalent

Sylar
09-09-2015, 05:15 PM

The stops are irritating but it's the most profitable sporting league in the world for a reason.

And baseball isn't pish - it's a lengthy game but a very relaxed past-time! Signed, a baseball player! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Rugby is a great game, and I like limited overs cricket, where a team is chasing a target and smashing it all around the ground.

Golf will always be the worst sport in the world for me.

Can't stand limited overs cricket especially 20/20.

Big game of hit and hope. Give me the skill, tactics and tension of the test game any day.

macca70
09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Sky Sports 'Redzone' is the best sports coverage of any sport.

Every Sunday night for all the 6pm games then the 9pm games.

There are no advert breaks at all and they jump from game to game depending where there is any action happening, it is fantastic especially if your involved in a Fantasy League.

Bristolhibby
09-09-2015, 05:41 PM
a few years ago I would have completely dismissed it but I watched the 2009 superbowl and was hooked. I would watch it ahead of nearly any non hibs game.

This. Got into it last year on the back of watching the Dolphins v Raiders Wembley game. Love it.

Bought a season ticket for the Wembley games. Works out about £33 per game.

Jets v Dolphins in a Divisional game, 3 weeks Sunday. Can't wait!

J

Bristolhibby
09-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Cmon the Browns!

(Trying to think of the worst team out of the 32).

:-)

WeeRussell
09-09-2015, 05:45 PM
You're both wrong.

Dolphins!

:aok::cb:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
This. Got into it last year on the back of watching the Dolphins v Raiders Wembley game. Love it.

Bought a season ticket for the Wembley games. Works out about £33 per game.

Jets v Dolphins in a Divisional game, 3 weeks Sunday. Can't wait!

J

I'll be there as well sporting my vintage 1993 Aqua 13 Marino shirt.

Can't wait, hopefully it's a bit better than my last Miami game at Wembley during our horror 1-15 season.

TheBruce
09-09-2015, 05:52 PM
My American friends who like this sport hear me refer to it as throwball. The only reason I can come up with as to why they insist on calling the game football is that they consider the kicker to be the most important player. :greengrin

The reason it's called football is that it derives from Rugby football ! Another game where you don't use your foot that often and also played by those who don't have the talent, skill or coordination to play real football ! For the record rugby was invented by some geezer who was **** at football so he picked the ball up !

whiskyhibby
09-09-2015, 06:15 PM

That's because Scottish football at the top level is not a competition, it's a season long coronation.....

Northernhibee
09-09-2015, 06:18 PM

I'm sure you'd also be moaning if they paid over the odds for it with the license fee as well - they pay what they do as that's what the market value of the product is. The SFA have devalued football up here so much it's unreal.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Hate NFL :grr:....booooring.....

Kavinho
09-09-2015, 06:26 PM
American rounders is better than American rugby.

Brilliant!

Best post on the thread

:not worth

Haymaker
09-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Fixed that for you. The patriots are the NFL's yam equivalent

See my avatar :gteengrin

pontius pilate
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Great to hear c'mon the bird gang

Sir David Gray
09-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Far too many stoppages for me, can't believe that it's such a popular spectator sport.

It will be interesting to see how this works on the BBC. It's a perfect sport for the commercial channels like Sky and the channels it will be on in the USA but I'm not sure how it will work on the BBC considering there's no advert breaks.

Lago
09-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Certainly an interesting variety of opinions here re NFL football, but the one piece of information that I want I can't find any where, how much is the BBC paying for theirc2 year contract. Anyone know?

Carheenlea
09-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Went to see a game in Vanvouver once, and didn't really understand what was happening and it didn't really grip me at all. That said, the beer and hotdogs were excellent.

Eyrie
09-09-2015, 07:05 PM

See my avatar :gteengrin

I'll see that and raise it

E - A - G - L - E - S
EAGLES!

Haymaker
09-09-2015, 07:06 PM
I'll see that and raise it

E - A - G - L - E - S
EAGLES!

:faf: the jealousy is so thick! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Went to see a game in Vanvouver once, and didn't really understand what was happening and it didn't really grip me at all. That said, the beer and hotdogs were excellent.

The food options at American sports is second to none.

The renovated Dolphins stadium has 2 tap rooms with 16 craft beers in each as well as concessions for sushi, barbecue, pizza, lobster and countless other options.

Puts our pie and bovril to shame:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
09-09-2015, 07:17 PM
The food options at American sports is second to none.

The renovated Dolphins stadium has 2 tap rooms with 16 craft beers in each as well as concessions for sushi, barbecue, pizza, lobster and countless other options.

Puts our pie and bovril to shame:greengrin

Aye, but that's because they all weigh 35 stone. Take away food from Americans and the stadium would be trashed.

eastterrace
09-09-2015, 07:26 PM

done the same , saw a game in Vancouver and it lasted about four hours , they even stop for advertising breaks for the tv, then started flinging frizbies into the crowd to keep them occupied. saying that it was slightly different than sitting at easter road listening to some baw bag efffing and blinding.

Lago
09-09-2015, 07:59 PM
:top marks
done the same , saw a game in Vancouver and it lasted about four hours , they even stop for advertising breaks for the tv, then started flinging frizbies into the crowd to keep them occupied. saying that it was slightly different than sitting at easter road listening to some baw bag efffing and blinding.

Colr
09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Just seen Jim White on SSN in a helicopter, cringeworthy few seconds of sign language.
Anyway, mon the Redskins.

racist!!!

Haymaker
09-09-2015, 09:08 PM

was that NFL or CFL? Different games.

DrSpaceMonkey
09-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Pick, sky channel 152 will be showing live Sunday games at 5:30pm starting this Sunday

Bristolhibby
09-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Pick, sky channel 152 will be showing live Sunday games at 5:30pm starting this Sunday

Interesting. What's that all about? I thought Sky had exclusive rights?

Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears on at 17:30 on Sunday.

J

Pretty Boy
09-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Interesting. What's that all about? I thought Sky had exclusive rights?

Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears on at 17:30 on Sunday.

J

Do Sky not own Pick?

SkintHibby
09-09-2015, 09:57 PM
I despise the BBC. First paedos, then their heavily anti-YES bias in the referendum, then I hear they are going to broadcast British propaganda into the homes of Russians and North Koreans. Now they are spending a bucket load on a completely rubbish American sport.

No wonder I don't pay their horrible TV 'licence'. :aok:

Eyrie
09-09-2015, 10:01 PM
I despise the BBC. First paedos, then their anti-Scottish bias in the referendum, then I hear they are going to broadcast British propaganda into the homes of Russians and North Koreans. Now they are spending a bucket load on a completely rubbish American sport.

No wonder I don't pay their horrible TV 'licence'. :aok:

I think you'd be an ideal candidate to head up the new Scottish channel that the SNP are demanding.

Of course a national broadcaster should do more than just focus on the populist programming or all we would get would be soaps, talent shows and football.

Bishop Hibee
09-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/34195573

Looks like they have live games. No details of how much they paid though. I'd rather they tried to buy the rights for Serie A or the Bundesliga if they aren't going to support indigenous sport.

Moon unit
09-09-2015, 10:06 PM

The most overblown pile of Merde going!...no surprise from the Beeb who pay 2M to Gary Lineker per year whist they offer Only 1M per year to Scottish football for highlights!

SkintHibby
09-09-2015, 10:11 PM
If you dont like what the BBC (or EBC to be precise) are doing then don't pay your TV licence. Simples! :agree:

Eyrie
09-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/34195573

Looks like they have live games. No details of how much they paid though. I'd rather they tried to buy the rights for Serie A or the Bundesliga if they aren't going to support indigenous sport.

But the BBC already shows football. Why shouldn't it show something different?

I'd suspect that the rights for American football would be very cheap as the NFL has its eye on the UK market.

Halifaxhibby
09-09-2015, 10:20 PM

Really?, i understand what u mean about cricket, as robin williams once said its just baseball on valium but rugby union kicks american kickballs erse!, can they kick from anywhere on the pitch?, at least rugby players don't wear helmets and padding and stop the game every two or three minutes as all the fatties need time out!

Sir David Gray
09-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Do Sky not own Pick?

Yep, it used to be known as Sky 3 up until a few years ago when it was rebranded as Pick TV.

DH1875
09-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Go Gang Green :)

Heading down for the Jets game as well and cant wait.
BBC have shown the Superbowl for a while. If theyve just picked up 3 more games I dont think it'll have cost them much more. Probably cheaper than what they'd have to pay for SPFL.

Carheenlea
09-09-2015, 11:14 PM

You just know that if they were to ever start throwing frisbees into the crowd at ER for entertainment, the first person to be accidentally hit in the head would be that baw bag effing and blinding. Nothing surer!

Hibsdawg
10-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Samuel L Jackson says "Rise Up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRXtzsq4zl4

Lago
10-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Go Gang Green :)

Heading down for the Jets game as well and cant wait.
BBC have shown the Superbowl for a while. If theyve just picked up 3 more games I dont think it'll have cost them much more. Probably cheaper than what they'd have to pay for SPFL.
Probably cheaper, yip but the fact is we dont know! I spent a while looking every where for a contract cost but never mentioned any where.

The_Exile
10-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I was under the impression the NFL rights in the UK were basically as good as free due to them making a huge push to grow the game overe here? #golions

Scotchmist
10-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Cricket!!!!!

:yawn:

whiskyhibby
10-09-2015, 12:22 PM
The most overblown pile of Merde going!...no surprise from the Beeb who pay 2M to Gary Lineker per year whist they offer Only 1M per year to Scottish football for highlights!

Don't blame the BBC , they aren't a charity and need to spend our money wisely, blame the clowns at the GFA whose stewardship has meant we get for TV rights the going rates (which is currently bottom of the pile)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYHibby
10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
I was under the impression the NFL rights in the UK were basically as good as free due to them making a huge push to grow the game overe here? #golions

You are correct. I don’t have a link readily available, but I have heard NFL UK officials talk about this in public before. The BBC will be spending relatively nothing on this. The BBC spends orders of magnitude more on Scottish football.

The poorly informed, knee jerk reactions on here say more about the posters than the BBC.

Lago
10-09-2015, 04:51 PM
You are correct. I don’t have a link readily available, but I have heard NFL UK officials talk about this in public before. The BBC will be spending relatively nothing on this. The BBC spends orders of magnitude more on Scottish football.

The poorly informed, knee jerk reactions on here say more about the posters than the BBC.
So for all us poorly informed, knee jerkers, how much is it? Relatively nothing, £?????

Bristolhibby
10-09-2015, 05:15 PM
More sport on TV and hibs.net goes into meltdown.

Actually, all these games were on C4 last year with IIRC a random late Sunday game on C4 every week.

J

Hibernia&Alba
10-09-2015, 05:22 PM
More sport on TV and hibs.net goes into meltdown.

Actually, all these games were on C4 last year with IIRC a random late Sunday game on C4 every week.

J

Aye, it was live on Channel 4.

I would watch Aussie rules before NFL. Now there's a hard game!

The_Exile
10-09-2015, 05:25 PM
So for all us poorly informed, knee jerkers, how much is it? Relatively nothing, £?????

I think they're free for the BBC, I imagine the BBC will just take the feed direct from the states. Channel 4 dropped it as they were having to pay for a studio and 2 presenters. Sky will likely give the NFL a % of advertising revenue they generate for the games they show.

Bristolhibby
10-09-2015, 05:30 PM

Used to watch NRL on Setanta when my eldest was a baby. I'd do the early feed and go downstairs on Saturday morning, let the missus catch up on her kip and watch a NRL game. Really got into it.

J

Hibernia&Alba
10-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Used to watch NRL on Setanta when my eldest was a baby. I'd do the early feed and go downstairs on Saturday morning, let the missus catch up on her kip and watch a NRL game. Really got into it.

J

It's on BT Sport now. I don't really understand the rules, but it's a good watch and there's usually a square go along the way :-D

dmc1875
10-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Didn't used to like it but when I watched it a lot and started to understand it I really got into it.

Skys "red zone" coverage is great on a Sunday night.

Come on the Jets! :flag:

Spudster
10-09-2015, 09:34 PM
For those who find it to stop start I suggest watching Red Zone on Sunday. During the lengthy broadcast press the red button and it effectively becomes a live highlights how. Imagine Jeff Stirling/Soccer Saturday but you actually seen all the goals as it happened. Makes it ALOT easier to watch for beginners.
That plus fantasy football and I was/am absolutely hooked.

Jim44
10-09-2015, 10:03 PM

I had the good fortune to be in Brisbane a few years ago and stayed in a hotel not far from the Gabba. I went to a Brisbane v Melbourne Aussie rules match and was enthralled by the whole spectacle.

HoboHarry
11-09-2015, 01:25 AM
You all suck. Signed The Patriots.
You are wrong anaw...... C'mon the Colts.......

Denverhibby
11-09-2015, 01:39 AM

Let's go Broncos

Haymaker
11-09-2015, 03:06 AM

Unless Jonny Unitas is under centre... Behave.

Pete
11-09-2015, 03:15 AM
racist!!!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/baseball/100061d1345669233-cleveland-indians-mascot-logo-nickname-ok-cleveland.bmp

Nonsense. Anything goes.

HoboHarry
11-09-2015, 03:18 AM

Unless Jonny Unitas is under centre... Behave.
Here, that's enough of your nonsense........ :greengrin

Haymaker
11-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Here, that's enough of your nonsense........ :greengrin

Oh... Would say sorry but...

Hannah_hfc
11-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Come on the Jets! :flag:

Let's go Broncos
Seahawks fan here :greengrin and hoping another superbowl to make up for last season!

Does anyone know if channel 4 still have the rights to a late night Sunday game? Was always a good watch!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

pontius pilate
11-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Seahawks fan here :greengrin and hoping another superbowl to make up for last season!

Does anyone know if channel 4 still have the rights to a late night Sunday game? Was always a good watch!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Cardinals fan here I'm hoping for a more successful run than last season.
I don't think channel 4 have they rights now wouldn't surprise me if the BBC have some kind of round up on their webpage on a Monday morning.

Let's go cards