PDA

View Full Version : The old (wee) East Stand

nickwhibs
08-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Been looking back through some old Hibs videos, and it got me thinking how much I used to love going to Easter Road in the old East Stand - the wee one (not old enough to have experienced the proper terracing!). Don't get me wrong the new East can get a great atmosphere when full, but it just didn't have the same character and 'mentalness' of the old stand. This video is a prime example, ah good memories :scarf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfXK62Dmhwc

Anyone got any others? Maybe of better quality :wink:

Broken Gnome
08-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Been looking back through some old Hibs videos, and it got me thinking how much I used to love going to Easter Road in the old East Stand - the wee one (not old enough to have experienced the proper terracing!). Don't get me wrong the new East can get a great atmosphere when full, but it just didn't have the same character and 'mentalness' of the old stand. This video is a prime example, ah good memories :scarf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfXK62Dmhwc

I would hazard a guess that song has been heard once at Easter Road in the last twenty months...

Stax
08-09-2015, 08:40 PM

http://youtu.be/aJpOIwA1OcI
Hard to beat this one, one of the liveliest atmospheres I've ever experienced in the 'new' old East :aok:

leggeto
08-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Hard to beat this one, one of the liveliest atmospheres I've ever experienced in the 'new' old East :aok:

That's class,I actually remember being in the old cow shed then,anyway 21 minutes highlights

Fife-Hibee
08-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Loved that day :)

.Sean.
08-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Ripped the soul clean out the place when they pulled it down.

This is just my opinion and it may not be popular but the new East is a total white elephant and Easter Road's never been the same since it was pulled down. An unnecessary waste of millions which should've been spent on the team.

I miss the old East :boo hoo:

mca
08-09-2015, 09:39 PM

This is just my opinion and it may not be popular but the new East is a total white elephant and Easter Road's never been the same since it was pulled down. An unnecessary waste of millions which should've been spent on the team.

I`m Sorry to Say.. But The Removal Of " the auld east " Was The End for me... http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/boo%20hoo.gif

Still attend now and again.. But Its Not the Same for me.. GGTTH..

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Aw man I miss it so much [emoji25]

Ronniekirk
08-09-2015, 09:50 PM

I was gutted when they took it down, it's just not the same for atmosphere .But I don't miss the bogs and standing in the rain to que for food only to get to front of que and they didn't have what you wanted :confused:

weecounty hibby
08-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Every time we play Alloa, Cowdenbeath etc we get folk on here slating the grounds. We abuse the Jambo's, rightly, for having a **** heap as a stadium but we have a fit for the 21st century stadium that will still be fine in 30 years time but folk saying the removal of the old east was the end for them. Unbe****inlievable. I had STs for the east when it was uncovered terrace, covered terrace and also covered seating. What we have now is way better. The New Year Derby win with the place full was amazing. We just need a team to match the stadium and it could be like that more often

lord bunberry
08-09-2015, 10:06 PM
The building of the new stand has coincided with a real downturn in the teams fortunes, it remains to be seen if the atmosphere from the old East can be replicated in the new one as up until now it hasn't.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Real East Stand saddo, but I sit more or less where I have always stood. Last section, nearest the FF about three quarters up. I don't mind the new stand. All the big atmosphere games that we look back on in the East with seats, would be just as good if not better in the new stand. AEK in a 20, 0000 sell out would be class. Luna would still miss though.

Cabbage East
08-09-2015, 10:23 PM
I loved the east. Seeing folk you knew in the same places every home game and the mental atmosphere for the big games. The smell of green ha ha.That stand going has totally changed home games for me. Anyone got any videos of the last game? Think it was st johnstone and we drew. I still have my seat that I gently removed by force :)

majorhibs
08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
The building of the new stand has coincided with a real downturn in the teams fortunes, it remains to be seen if the atmosphere from the old East can be replicated in the new one as up until now it hasn't.

It remains to be seen if we will be given a reason to recreate the atmosphere, but having seen it & been in it since early 70s I personally have no doubt it would get there, earlier mentioned New Year Derby was up there, just a pity the follow up was so draining. Consistent good performances. Up there with Rocket Science.

KWJ
09-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Having been standing near the TV gantry for the dnipro game and not being able to see the box by the south stand along with what the pillars blocked I believe it had to go. Great noise generated within it but there were a lot of brutal seats for the big games.

Jones28
09-09-2015, 02:53 AM
Personally I feel that we have created great atmospheres with the new east. The Dunfermline game at home when we relegated them, the new year derby and games against hearts and rangers are a few that spring to mind.

Juice-Terry
09-09-2015, 05:58 AM
As has been suggested before, the singing section needs to move to the FF lower, and it needs to be turned into a standing area. Probably the best way to get atmosphere back to ER.

marinello59
09-09-2015, 06:06 AM
As has been suggested before, the singing section needs to move to the FF lower, and it needs to be turned into a standing area. Probably the best way to get atmosphere back to ER.

Nope. The best way to get atmosphere back to ER is for the team to go on a long winning run.

Lago
09-09-2015, 06:37 AM
A lot of nostalgic nonsensense spoken about the old east stand. It had restricted views, poor seating towards the front as when it rained you were absolutely soaked. All in all it was well past ot's sell by date.

Steve20
09-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Spot on. It feels exactly like the soul has been ripped out the place, as you say.

Just not the same anymore.

liamh2202
09-09-2015, 06:50 AM
A lot of nostalgic nonsensense spoken about the old east stand. It had restricted views, poor seating towards the front as when it rained you were absolutely soaked. All in all it was well past ot's sell by date.

Your right about all the downsides and I think people forget about the atmosphere at the crap games. It was dyer in there . I am not convinced we needed such a big stand built in though.would rather have something new that retained a bit of character . now that it has been done though I feel the club should try find a way of getting supporters grouped together in one section in each stand. I think the spread of supporters between empty seats is the real atmosphere killer

Waxy
09-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Turn the lower FF to safe standing.

Scouse Hibee
09-09-2015, 07:50 AM
We've never had a team to compete with the teams that played in front of the old East hence the lack of attendance and atmosphere.

lord bunberry
09-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Personally I feel that we have created great atmospheres with the new east. The Dunfermline game at home when we relegated them, the new year derby and games against hearts and rangers are a few that spring to mind.
The new year derby was the closest it has been. I sat in the famous five last season and the away fans were always louder than the home fans. Having a singing section that's located down the front singing songs hardly anyone knows isn't helping the atmosphere either.

Barney McGrew
09-09-2015, 10:33 AM
The atmosphere of the Old East will, in my humble opinion, never be recreated. There was something magical about peering round the pillars and taking your life in your hands celebrating when we scored against Them and you invariably ended up several rows and seats away from where you started. I appreciate that for many it had to go, but it did destroy the camaraderie of squeezing your mate in your row for the big games and much of the gallows humour that you used to hear in there, as well as the baying for blood of any opposition player that dared to come near enough to it to be shouted at.

For atmosphere now, we've had the old songs that everyone knew the words of replaced by inane crap like 'Stubby, Stubbsy' and that ****ing drum. Artificial, manufactured nonsense and a huge part of why Easter Road is no longer the feared away game that it used to be in the past.

linlithgowhibbie
09-09-2015, 11:13 AM
The atmosphere of the Old East will, in my humble opinion, never be recreated. There was something magical about peering round the pillars and taking your life in your hands celebrating when we scored against Them and you invariably ended up several rows and seats away from where you started. I appreciate that for many it had to go, but it did destroy the camaraderie of squeezing your mate in your row for the big games and much of the gallows humour that you used to hear in there, as well as the baying for blood of any opposition player that dared to come near enough to it to be shouted at.

For atmosphere now, we've had the old songs that everyone knew the words of replaced by inane crap like 'Stubby, Stubbsy' and that ****ing drum. Artificial, manufactured nonsense and a huge part of why Easter Road is no longer the feared away game that it used to be in the past.

At least the ex section 43 guys are trying to create an atmosphere. If you don't like it start your own songs! They don't have a monopoly on singing, even better come sit in S43 and join in.
I have noticed that very few of the fans in S43 now join in with the guys down the front and I think they would be better back up where they were now that the nonsense with the wee scrotes that were setting off the smoke seems to have been resolved!

LaMotta
09-09-2015, 12:36 PM

100% agree. The stadium is too big.

The New East has diluted the atmosphere in the FF and Main Stand as well as people have moved from there to the East - so now we have three half filled stands most weeks.

Add on to the fact that there is less need for a season ticket to guarantee a seat at ER, because we have so many seats available.

The empty seats don't seem be an issue for some of us, but they should be because they will have a potential negative effect on:

1. Sponsors
2. Attractiveness of Hibs home games in generating TV money (although vicious circle this example)
3. Attracting players to the club
4. Inspiring the team on matchday

lord bunberry
09-09-2015, 12:45 PM

:top marksI'm all for people trying to create an atmosphere, but standing down the front singing songs no one else knows isn't going to create anything. At ibrox a last month they all sat next to the rangers fans and were singing away, but when someone up the back started singing hail hail the hibs are here everyone joined in and it was by far the loudest song of the day, it was also followed by a few of the old classics which were also belted out. Maybe I'm just getting old :greengrin

Kato
09-09-2015, 02:02 PM
People make the atmosphere not a stand.

I worked at Easter Road doing some sparky stuff when they shaved Shaws' Heights off the top of the east terracing and quite a few grown men were crying watching the bulldozers knock it away. People back then said it would never be the same.

I loved being in the covered East Stand, some great games, but the atmosphere was mostly contained within it, if you were in the West or the FF it was never as loud as you imagined it was when in it. Especially when it was all seated, standing was a different matter.

The stadium as is has coincided with our worst patch of form ever in our history. It'll be there for the next 50 years and hopefully we will have some games/seasons to savour and the atmosphere will be far better with bigger crowds and a better team.

Feed McGraw
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
I`ve got my certificate from Yogi anyway. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Some atmosphere that day - great seeing big tel falling on his erse as well - forerunner of things to come?

I tracked this photo down and bought it because we were certain it is right where we were standing - pretty good crowd shot in the background, and not a sign of any of us!

Vini1875
09-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Fat gardener diving for a penalty and then later a sneaky punch, just about sums him up.

Keith_M
09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
We've never had a team to compete with the teams that played in front of the old East hence the lack of attendance and atmosphere.

:agree:

When the new East Stand was first built, the atmosphere was amazing. The only reason it isn't the same is that the support has been gradually ground down with mind numbingly bad football.

We can get the atmosphere back, but it needs the team to get promoted and provide people with something to sing about

Stax
09-09-2015, 08:41 PM
:agree:

When the new East Stand was first built, the atmosphere was amazing. The only reason it isn't the same is that the support has been gradually ground down with mind numbingly bad football.

We can get the atmosphere back, but it needs the team to get promoted and provide people with something to sing about
Agree with this, the Dunfermline relegation game was the best I can remember in recent times. Bouncing that night.

AlbertK86
09-09-2015, 08:42 PM
http://youtu.be/aJpOIwA1OcI Hard to beat this one, one of the liveliest atmospheres I've ever experienced in the 'new' old East :aok:

Just watched that and am seething all over again !! Horrible cheating dirty barstewards.

Quote fi the laddie 'how many times have you watched that and how many times are you gonna get so angry'

Cannae help feel the same ire and seethe I felt at the game that day

However yer right .... Most poisonous but yet the best atmosphere I've experienced at Easter Road.

Only Athens is close to that for atmosphere

SquashedFrogg
09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Every time we play Alloa, Cowdenbeath etc we get folk on here slating the grounds. We abuse the Jambo's, rightly, for having a **** heap as a stadium but we have a fit for the 21st century stadium that will still be fine in 30 years time but folk saying the removal of the old east was the end for them. Unbe****inlievable. I had STs for the east when it was uncovered terrace, covered terrace and also covered seating. What we have now is way better. The New Year Derby win with the place full was amazing. We just need a team to match the stadium and it could be like that more often

I agree. Nostalgia clouds judgement. Fill the new East and we have a brilliant atmosphere. Poor excuse to blame a new stand for not watching our team.

IWasThere2016
10-09-2015, 04:19 AM

Totally agree. Mis-managenent to create unnecessary capacity/debt etc.