PDA

View Full Version : First class travel

bobbyhibs1983
08-09-2015, 02:00 PM
hi

Has anyone ever travelled first and or business class on a plane? and if so did you feel it was worth the money?

I have a holiday booked for next year (to the usa)and we want to make it the best holiday ever sorta thing and well we have never done first/business class but due to us going with united airlines, I am a lil hesitant( i will be putting the money upfront for it IF we go for it) and well it seems united have a few so so reviews and being a bit *tight* i don't wanna waste money
Being short and rather chubby shall i say, i guess the good thing about first/business it much better seats, first on and off the planes and i guess a better bit of the cabin,
I have booked via a friend of the family's and don't wanna mess him about in changing the flights n stuff.
so if you have gone first class, how was the experince? whom was it with?was it worth it?would you do it again,?

many thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing your experinces
bobby

bigwheel
08-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Generally First and business class are quite different price points from each other...I'm guessing that UA just have a business class ( not first) option on their Scottish flights - might be wrong...

Anyway , business class long hall flights are great....comfy seats, ability to sleep...and great service ...better food etc...if you can afford it, It's a great way to travel....although they can be anything from 3-10 times the price.. It's all about what value you are prepared to pay for....I generally choose business class for long hauls because it's a much more relaxing way to travel....you arrive refreshed, rather than fatigued. But you have to do your own price/value analysis as it is a very personal choice..

bobbyhibs1983
08-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Generally First and business class are quite different price points from each other...I'm guessing that UA just have a business class ( not first) option on their Scottish flights - might be wrong...

Anyway , business class long hall flights are great....comfy seats, ability to sleep...and great service ...better food etc...if you can afford it, It's a great way to travel....although they can be anything from 3-10 times the price.. It's all about what value you are prepared to pay for....I generally choose business class for long hauls because it's a much more relaxing way to travel....you arrive refreshed, rather than fatigued. But you have to do your own price/value analysis as it is a very personal choice..

hi
thank you for the response,I do see what you mean about the first and business being different prices but i figured it would be around the same, well not a million miles off.
When we travelled with them back in june, they had the seats up front, which i assumed was first(could have been busienss but they were better than the economy thats for sure!)
I ve been trying to weigh up the pros and cons and so far i think for at the moment its not worth it!!

but agian thanks for the feedback !

Billy Whizz
08-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Flown club class with BA a few times, which is the equivalent of business class. Much better than down the back, but was around 4 times more expensive than World Traveller, as they called it at that time.
A big expense, if you can afford it

Hibs Class
09-09-2015, 11:15 AM
When I fly to the USA I've usually gone economy. Usually paid for it myself so decided the extra cost of upgrade not worth it. I've flown to India/Australia with work and that was always business class - work was paying and if they'd tried to send me economy I'd have not gone. Price wasn't a factor as I wasn't paying, but the benefits of more leg room, comfier seats, better foods, quieter cabin, lounge assess on stopover all made it a far better trip and also arriving in a far better condition to work. One time I got an upgrade to First on Thai and it was fantastic, but something I'd never pay for myself unless money was no object. The 24 hour journeys to down under made me realise that a 9 hour journey in economy to the US was quite easily tolerated, and I'd be better saving the extra cost of business class to spend on a properly memorable treat during the holiday.

bobbyhibs1983
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
ok thanks for the feeback and your time in typing a repsonse!

Just the problems my brother and I have(mostly I to be fair) is i do like space, and if my brother and i have somone beside us in a 3, we feel cramped(we aren't skinny but are not nade s size either:greengrin) probably a lil in the middle for sure!
another thing that borthers me is the person whom tries to talk to you, i know it sounds mean but im not much of a chatter to be fair and well, if i have a long flight i know its gonna drag and i ll end up getting grumpy.
What i need is one of these star trek beamers things that ll get me to whatever destiantion in a minute !!!
thanks again for everyoens feedback

bigwheel
09-09-2015, 11:59 AM
ok thanks for the feeback and your time in typing a repsonse!

Just the problems my brother and I have(mostly I to be fair) is i do like space, and if my brother and i have somone beside us in a 3, we feel cramped(we aren't skinny but are not nade s size either:greengrin) probably a lil in the middle for sure!
another thing that borthers me is the person whom tries to talk to you, i know it sounds mean but im not much of a chatter to be fair and well, if i have a long flight i know its gonna drag and i ll end up getting grumpy.
What i need is one of these star trek beamers things that ll get me to whatever destiantion in a minute !!!
thanks again for everyoens feedback

You could always go economy and just book a seat in a different row from him :-).

Ants
10-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Sometimes you can get deals for an upgrade, so keep your eyes open, maybe even ping them an Email.
I've traveled business on a few airlines, the cost between economy and business can vary greatly (my trips = £150 to £3000), pricing varies depending on how busy the aircraft is, seasonal timing and closeness to departure. The level of business class service you get also varies between airlines, so read the reviews and see if they meet your requirements.

One cheap option is to book yourself in to an airport lounge, get fed and "watered" and sleep all the way there!!

bobbyhibs1983
11-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Sometimes you can get deals for an upgrade, so keep your eyes open, maybe even ping them an Email.
I've traveled business on a few airlines, the cost between economy and business can vary greatly (my trips = £150 to £3000), pricing varies depending on how busy the aircraft is, seasonal timing and closeness to departure. The level of business class service you get also varies between airlines, so read the reviews and see if they meet your requirements.

One cheap option is to book yourself in to an airport lounge, get fed and "watered" and sleep all the way there!!

ok thanks alot for the feedback!
will look for deals and what not and try check out sites and what not that may point/surggest possiable deals.

we were gonna pay for an airport lounge, though i can never sleep on a plane for some mad reason!

and thanks for the idea bigwheel, knowing my luck i ll get stuck with 2 big heavy looking guys whom may be hearts fans whilst he would most likely get stuck with 2 honeys with shorts on !!:greengrin

Steve-O
11-09-2015, 02:57 PM
It sounds like the option you need is Premium Economy, if it's available. Better than economy, not as good as business, but maybe only double the regular price.

bobbyhibs1983
12-09-2015, 09:02 AM
It sounds like the option you need is Premium Economy, if it's available. Better than economy, not as good as business, but maybe only double the regular price.

thanks for the feedback but its funny we did consider Premium Economy and was quoted an extra £269 each( over 4 long flights something like £62 per flight for the upgrade) but i had paid a big amount of money to pay off the holiday and spoke to the travel agent bout it and he said i had to pay for it at the price that day so i did not have the money !

a week or or so later i had the money and re checked the price and it had went up £100 per person and well i felt it was not worth the extra money now.
but thanks

#FromTheCapital
13-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Premium Economy is pretty decent for longer flights. It's worth it even to be nearer the front of the plane when travelling to the U.S. as you'll not have to wait in such a long que for customs when you get off.