PDA

View Full Version : NHC Ralph Milne

cleanyman
06-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Has died.

Hibernia&Alba
06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
That's really sad. Excellent payer for Dundee United in the terrific side of the 80s. Taken too soon by the bottle.

Pretty Boy
06-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Just read this on Twitter.

I was a bit surprised to see so many Man Utd fans comment so fondly about him, I've heard him mentioned in their 'worst signing' debates. However seems there's a couple of supporters groups named after him and they still sing about him at away games as well. Whether there's an irony or not it seems he's a bit of a cult hero at OT.

Billy Whizz
06-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Sad news, was a great player in a fantastic Dundee United team

Hibernia&Alba
06-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Just read this on Twitter.

I was a bit surprised to see so many Man Utd fans comment so fondly about him, I've heard him mentioned in their 'worst signing' debates. However seems there's a couple of supporters groups named after him and they still sing about him at away games as well. Whether there's an irony or not it seems he's a bit of a cult hero at OT.

Aye, it's an irony thing amongst United fans. Ralph had a terrible time down there (though I think he scored on his debut) but the United fans didn't see what a good player he had been before.

Hibernia&Alba
06-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Sir Ralph

https://youtu.be/m1xg-lE892w
https://youtu.be/v77R3ThlZ2o
https://youtu.be/kcN4dezpB7U

NAE NOOKIE
06-09-2015, 07:02 PM
RIP to a tremendous player ... that Dundee Utd team were great to watch, I highly doubt its auld guy nostalgia to say they would cream anything the SPFL has to offer these days.

Ronniekirk
06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Openly admitted he blew his money on alcohol gambling and women ,a great talent for United and that chipped goal to win the title against Dundee at Dens was just sublime One of those players that seemed to thrive on the European stage

Del Boy
06-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Wonderful player for United. RIP.

Greenblood70
06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
RIP to a tremendous player ... that Dundee Utd team were great to watch, I highly doubt its auld guy nostalgia to say they would cream anything the SPFL has to offer these days.

Agreed NN, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were some sides at that time.

RIP Ralph - a truly gifted player in his pomp.

son of haggart
06-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Agreed NN, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were some sides at that time.

RIP Ralph - a truly gifted player in his pomp.

I was lucky enough to live in both cities while they won the league. Magnificent teams which would rip apart Celtic and anything outside the top few in the EPL in Britain

Mibbes Aye
06-09-2015, 07:48 PM

It's definitely not nostalgia, they were a great side.

Milne was part of the team that made the 84 European Cup semis and there was a dose of decent sides in Europe then. He was away by 87 when they managed to beat Barcelona home and away in the UEFA Cup, the away game was televised (this was when televised games were still a luxury) and Paul Sturrock ran a masterclass. Good Barca side as well, Mark Hughes and Gary Lineker up front IIRC.

Hibernia&Alba
06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
I was lucky enough to live in both cities while they won the league. Magnificent teams which would rip apart Celtic and anything outside the top few in the EPL in Britain

Off topic, but do you post on Kickback, SOH, and, if so, what do they make of your chatting with the enemy?

Hibs Class
06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Very sad

Hiber-nation
06-09-2015, 07:52 PM
So sad to hear this. Cracking player.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Real shame. Quality player that realised his dreams by scoring in the game that won the league for the team he grew up supporting. Out with the OF I doubt we will see that in Scotland again.

son of haggart
07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Off topic, but do you post on Kickback, SOH, and, if so, what do they make of your chatting with the enemy?

1.Yes

2.Never asked - I don't see any problem with it as I never do any point scoring or name calling here or there - save that for at the match or with my mates, not an internet forum.

I made no secret in the old days of who I am on here

greenginger
07-09-2015, 09:49 AM
1.Yes

2.Never asked - I don't see any problem with it as I never do any point scoring or name calling here or there - save that for at the match or with my mates, not an internet forum.

Out of interest, are you the son of Heart's manager John Haggart from the 70's ?

son of haggart
07-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Out of interest, are you the son of Heart's manager John Haggart from the 70's ?

No - though I ember fondly Haggarts heroes and their short lived run at the top of table - ended by Tam Forsyth breaking Donald Fords leg at Ibrox (no foul of course)

I went into the name thing about 15 years ago - I just took it from one of my favourite books - The life of David Haggart - he was a highwayman who used many assumed names and sometimes frequented leith

kaimendhibs
07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
R.I.P. He was a wonderful player for Dundee United

mjhibby
07-09-2015, 11:34 AM
A class player in a class team. Very sad.

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 11:37 AM
1.Yes

You always come across as a good guy, and there's nothing wrong with civilized discussion. I was just wondering how the less enlightened in maroon viewed your posting on .net.

PatHead
07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
My brothers are all Arabs and I saw a lot of the team in the early 80s. Milne was a real character as well as an excellent footballer. My brother once went to a Dundee Utd away match in Romania when it was still in the grip of the Iron Curtain and was run very strictly.

Arriving at the customs in Romania all bags were searched for "contraband". When it came to Paul Sturrock's turn Ralph Milne was chuckling away to himself just as the customs officer pulled an "artistic" magazine out of Luggy's case. It turned out Ralph had bought a bundle and placed them in the bag when he wasn't looking. Sturrock's face and ears were beetroot and the whole team was falling about at Sturrock's reaction and attempt at a defence.

My brother last saw him at a reunion of the league winning team a couple of years ago and said he looked awful, so much so, that Eamonn Bannon never recognised him and wondered who it was.

RIP Ralph