PDA

View Full Version : NHC Euro 2016 Qualifying

Pages : [1] 2

theonlywayisup
05-09-2015, 07:20 PM
The qualifiers for the 2016 Euros is getting a bit clearer. Below are those in qualification spots and those that might need the play-offs to qualify. I'll keep this page updated after each set of qualifiers.

Those qualified:
France
England
Iceland
Czech Republic
Austria

Those in qualifying spots:
Wales
Belgium
Slovakia
Spain
Germany
Poland
Switzerland
Northern Ireland
Romania
Russia
Norway
Italy
Portugal
Denmark

Those in play-off spots:
Turkey
Israel
Ukraine (but currently the best third placed nation so would qualify automatically)
Republic of Ireland
Slovenia
Hungary
Sweden
Croatia
Albania

Will keep this updated after each twist and turn!! Now updated with two set of matches to go!!

SteveHFC
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
The qualifiers for the 2016 Euros is getting a bit clearer. Below are those in qualification spots and those that might need the play-offs to qualify. I'll keep this page updated after each set of qualifiers.

Those qualified:
France
England

Those in qualifying spots:
Iceland
Czech Republic
Wales
Belgium
Slovakia
Spain
Germany
Poland
Switzerland (but a Slovenia win tonight will replace them in 2nd spot)
Northern Ireland
Romania
Austria
Sweden
Croatia
Italy
Portugal
Denmark (but an Albania win against Portugal on Monday would drop Denmark to 3rd)

Those in play-off spots:
Netherlands (but with Turkey close behind)
Israel
Ukraine (but currently the best third placed nation so would qualify automatically)
Republic of Ireland
Estonia (but a Slovenia win against Switzerland would mean Switzerland replacing Estonia in 3rd spot)
Hungary
Russia
Norway
Albania (but an Albania win against Portugal on Monday would mean Albania would go to 1st in the group)

Will keep this updated after each twist and turn!!

Sickening how nations like Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland can do better than us.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Sickening how nations like Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland can do better than us.

Considering UEFA has extended the number of teams in the finals next year by 50%, compared with Euro 2012, it would be extremely disappointing if we failed to even reach the play offs.

Onion
05-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Considering UEFA has extended the number of teams in the finals next year by 50%, compared with Euro 2012, it would be extremely disappointing if we failed to even reach the play offs.

Otherwise known as reconstruction :cb

johnbc70
05-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Could have the scenario where England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland all qualify and of course Scotland would miss out.

DTS
05-09-2015, 07:59 PM

I'd say it's more sickening that they have pretty piss easy groups that we would qualify from

Haymaker
05-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Could have the scenario where England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland all qualify and of course Scotland would miss out.

It is pretty much happening!

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Not sure about Ireland as they will probably need to go through a play off but I think the other three will almost certainly qualify and I think, after last night, we'll miss out.

ballengeich
05-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Not sure about Ireland as they will probably need to go through a play off but I think the other three will almost certainly qualify and I think, after last night, we'll miss out.

If we beat Poland and Gibraltar we'll be in the playoffs provided Ireland don't beat Germany. Ireland visit Poland in the final game so at least one will drop points that day. The difficulty will be beating Poland.

theonlywayisup
05-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Switzerland were 2-0 down with ten minutes to go, but scored in the 80, 84 & 90 minutes. That's class.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-09-2015, 10:14 PM
I'd say it's more sickening that they have pretty piss easy groups that we would qualify from

Quite.

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2015, 12:00 AM
If Wales and Northern Ireland are winning their group there must be some pish teams in the play offs?

CorrieHibs
06-09-2015, 12:21 AM
I can't believe Northern Ireland are top and look like qualifying. They're absolute horse on paper as well.

MWHIBBIES
06-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Sickening how nations like Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland can do better than us.Hibs could get out of Norther Irelands group so difficult to include them. Iceland and Wales have young, exciting teams backed by ambitious forward thinking football federations, basically the opposite of Scotland.

SteveHFC
06-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Hibs could get out of Norther Irelands group so difficult to include them. Iceland and Wales have young, exciting teams backed by ambitious forward thinking football federations, basically the opposite of Scotland.

Wales have 3 decent players in Bale, Ramsey and Williams.

MWHIBBIES
06-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Wales have 3 decent players in Bale, Ramsey and Williams.They have 3 decent players if you ignore Joe Allan, Ben Davies, Neil Taylor, James Collins, Chris Gunter, Andy King and Joe Ledley who would all get in the Scotland squad easily.

Hibeesmad
06-09-2015, 04:09 AM

Wales took 4 points from Belgium home and away, Scotland couldn't even beat Georgia.

BenjiOscar
06-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Qualification is still in our own hands though. Win all three matches and we have to finish second at worst. We'd get 20 points which Poland could only equal and we would have the better head to head record. Ireland will have been beaten by Poland for them to get 20 points so they are out of the running.
If Ireland win all three and we do too. Then Germany will have been beaten twice so can only get 19 points. Poland will have been beaten twice so can only get 17 points. Easy!

Sylar
06-09-2015, 07:05 AM
Wales took 4 points from Belgium home and away, Scotland couldn't even beat Georgia.

We've lost 2 games - one of which was against the reigning World Champions. Our group was always going to be challenging to get out of and we're still challenging right now.

Qualification is still in our own hands, it'll just be more difficult after Friday.

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2015, 07:06 AM
They have 3 decent players if you ignore Joe Allan, Ben Davies, Neil Taylor, James Collins, Chris Gunter, Andy King and Joe Ledley who would all get in the Scotland squad easily.

That's just a list of decent players that play in the EPL. We've got that as well, what we don't have is the equivalent of Bale and that's where the one man team stuff comes from.

MWHIBBIES
06-09-2015, 07:19 AM
That's just a list of decent players that play in the EPL. We've got that as well, what we don't have is the equivalent of Bale and that's where the one man team stuff comes from.It is a list of decent players who play in the EPL, perform well for their country and will be playing at the European championships in the summer, Scotland don't have that. Scotland also don't have a player near the quality of Ramsey or Williams never mind Bale.

Lets not downplay Wales achievements to make ourselves feel better, they started turning things around under Speed and Coleman has continued it on to make them a good side, they deserve credit.

Steve20
06-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Scotland would never qualify from the groups that Wales and Iceland are in.

Time for people to stop looking for poor excuses and accept these countries are much better than Scotland.

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Scotland would never qualify from the groups that Wales and Iceland are in.

Time for people to stop looking for poor excuses and accept these countries are much better than Scotland.

Wales and Iceland wouldn't win our group and would be fighting for the play off spot.

grunt
06-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Little dig at the SFA hierarchy in today's rag

But let me take you inside the plane for a wee bit of insight.
The charter was a bog-standard holiday joint, three on either side, 32 rows rammed in like they were heading for a midgets’ convention.
Players and staff at the front, blazers and corporates in the middle, media at the back.
Walking up the plane it was hard not to notice the two rows of emergency exit seats, with all their yawning acreage of legroom, and who was filling them.
I joked to Stewart Regan that he was good to himself. He joked back that it was a perk of the job.
It was what it was, a light-hearted exchange, no arrogance or serious belief of the sense of entitlement which gripped some of his predecessors.
But still…

There he was, along with il presidente and his cohorts, tradition dictating they took the best seats in the house, stretching out, while a bunch of 6ft 4in keepers and centre-backs were folded into the economy class seats in front of them like badly-packed camp beds.
When I asked about it later, I was told by another member of the SFA’s hierarchy – who to be fair was completely disapproving of the practice – that apparently the logic behind it is if there are only 12 seats with legroom, it will cause unrest amongst the players who don’t get them.

J-C
06-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Got to blame wee GS for us now being out of contention, sticking with players that are either not good enough or are out of the frame club wise was a poor decision. These games were a chance to ring the changes, get shot of the old guard and bring in the new and exciting players that we do have, instead we saw the likes of Hutton, Fletcher, Naismith, Maloney.

Keith_M
06-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Got to blame wee GS for us now being out of contention, sticking with players that are either not good enough or are out of the frame club wise was a poor decision. These games were a chance to ring the changes, get shot of the old guard and bring in the new and exciting players that we do have, instead we saw the likes of Hutton, Fletcher, Naismith, Maloney.

:agree:

It's quite sad, really, because I honestly thought Scotland were improving.

My feeling before was that Scotland would have easily qualified if they'd drawn the teams in England's group but now I'm not so sure.

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Little dig at the SFA hierarchy in today's rag

That reads like something from Roy Keane's autobiography.

CockneyRebel
06-09-2015, 10:37 AM

McArthur is a class act who never gets a look in for Scotland.

Smartie
06-09-2015, 12:09 PM

I didn't have a problem with the line-up before the game started.

These are all players who have served GS well and it is very easy to criticise with hindsight.

My main gripe was the omission of Griffiths. I always think you should play the striker who is in the best form - Griffiths just scored good goals in the Champions League and was well worthy of a start ahead of Fletcher.

There's no denying it really didn't work the other night though, it will be interesting to see where he goes from here. The next 2 games will be very different to the last one which is the kind of game that Scotland has struggled to win as long as I've been watching football.

Onion
06-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Didn't see the Georgia performance coming. GS had the team playing well as a unit and with renewed self-belief. Against Germany, Poland and Ireland away, we were excellent and gave a good account of ourselves. Sadly, Georgia looked more up for the match, harried and hassled us and we didn't have an once of guile needed to get back into the game. At one stage it looked like the Georgia players were showboating and knew fine well this Scottish team were getting nothing.

Would have no complaints if we lost to Germany, Poland or Ireland and failed to qualify, but to get beat by one of the poorest teams in the group and Europe (again) is galling. You can bet we'll do well against Germany and Poland, as the pressure is off, but the damage has been done. How often has that been the case with Scotland over the last 40 years ?

JimBHibees
06-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Didn't see the Georgia performance coming. GS had the team playing well as a unit and with renewed self-belief. Against Germany, Poland and Ireland away, we were excellent and gave a good account of ourselves. Sadly, Georgia looked more up for the match, harried and hassled us and we didn't have an once of guile needed to get back into the game. At one stage it looked like the Georgia players were showboating and knew fine well this Scottish team were getting nothing.

Would have no complaints if we lost to Germany, Poland or Ireland and failed to qualify, but to get beat by one of the poorest teams in the group and Europe (again) is galling. You can bet we'll do well against Germany and Poland, as the pressure is off, but the damage has been done. How often has that been the case with Scotland over the last 40 years ?

Thought we were pretty poor v Ireland away. The squad has served us pretty well however a few key guys either not playing or out of form. Guys like Anya, Naismith, Brown all looked way off the pace.

CorrieHibs
06-09-2015, 03:17 PM
McArthur is a class act who never gets a look in for Scotland.

Agreed. He holds his own in the EPL every week. I really hope he starts tomorrow.

Hibernia&Alba
06-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Best of luck to Wales against Israel, which kicks off at 5 p.m. A win would mean qualifying for a tournament for the first time since 1958 and would be a massive achievement.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Turkey 1 Holland 0

SteveHFC
06-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Best of luck to Wales against Israel, which kicks off at 5 p.m. A win would mean qualifying for a tournament for the first time since 1958 and would be a massive achievement.

Hope they get pumped. :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 04:28 PM
2 0 Turkey

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Latvia 0 Czech Rep 2

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
3 0 Turkey

Aldo
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
3 0 Turkey

Dutch struggling to qualify at the moment!

Smartie
06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Dutch struggling to qualify at the moment!

They are toiling, but they'd still be a horrible team to draw in a playoff.

After that result the other night though, I'd probably accept a 2-legged play-off against the Dutch.

frazeHFC
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
3 0 Turkey

That's mental. Holland having a nightmare this campaign!

Sir David Gray
06-09-2015, 07:12 PM

After that result the other night though, I'd probably accept a 2-legged play-off against the Dutch.

As things stand the Netherlands aren't even in a play off place.

The one thing possibly in their favour is that Turkey's last two matches are against Czech Republic and Iceland although both are now pretty much assured of a place in the Finals so maybe it's not so good for them.

pontius pilate
06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Be interesting developments in both ours and their group I still believe we are in with a good shout as the republic still have Germany and Poland to play. However looking at the other third place teams it's going to be a tough two legged affair

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Belgium have been abysmal in that first half.

HH81
06-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Belgium have been abysmal in that first half.

Is a draw enough to send Wales to the finals?

frazeHFC
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah.

They will no doubt pick up second half but really poor from them so far.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Is a draw enough to send Wales to the finals?

Yep.

Mr White
06-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Goal for belgium.

JimBHibees
06-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Be interesting developments in both ours and their group I still believe we are in with a good shout as the republic still have Germany and Poland to play. However looking at the other third place teams it's going to be a tough two legged affair

Personally don't think Ireland will beat Georgia.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Hanley being introduced before Griffiths when we were one down is a sub I couldnae fathom on Friday.

pontius pilate
06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Hopefully WGS will learn from his mistakes on Friday and we see some changes for tomorrow's game. Hopefully a full house and with the correct team with the tactics we can steal something. Knowing Scotland after the disappointment of Friday we get a result tomorrow against all the odds

Hibeesmad
06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
If we can't finish above Ireland, we don't deserve to be in a major tournament. If teams like Wales and Northern Ireland can finish above the likes of Belgium and Romania they deserve to be in major tournaments

SteveHFC
06-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow now. Reckon we'll win 1-0. :hyper

3pm
06-09-2015, 09:10 PM

:hilarious

HoboHarry
07-09-2015, 03:43 AM
Think you might be right there. I suggest that you put 500k on that with Ladbrokes..........

:greengrin

Colr
07-09-2015, 06:05 AM

It just takes a few world class players to make the difference. When Scotland qualified for all thoseworld cups we had Dalglish and Sounness. Wales have Bale and Ramsey.

johnbc70
07-09-2015, 06:27 AM
Iceland, with a population of less than Edinburgh have qualified. How can they get a winning team with about 8% of the population of Scotland!?

MartinfaePorty
07-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Helps if you have a government that is willing to invest in major infrastructure. Iceland have built more facilities, whereas councils here are shutting them down due to budgetary constraints.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Newry Hibs
07-09-2015, 07:26 AM

You know we'll get them. Just in time for them to get their ***** in gear.

Mikey09
07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Wonder if Allan "I Dinnae track my man" Hutton will play tonight?? :greengrin

J-C
07-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Wonder if Allan "I Dinnae track my man" Hutton will play tonight?? :greengrin

Be prepared to see the same team out tonight, enough said. :confused:

CallumLaidlaw
07-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Be prepared to see the same team out tonight, enough said. :confused:

There is one paper rumour that Chris Martin could start tonight!! :rolleyes:

Mikey09
07-09-2015, 09:13 AM
There is one paper rumour that Chris Martin could start tonight!! :rolleyes:

The boy from Coldplay?! Maybe he could bring his piano with him to play in Hutton's place...:greengrin

McSwanky
07-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Iceland, with a population of less than Edinburgh have qualified. How can they get a winning team with about 8% of the population of Scotland!?

IIRC, Iceland have never qualified for a major tournament before in their history. The fact that they have done so this year after decades of failing probably shouldn't be interpreted as any sort of trend.

You could use the same argument about Dundee Utd/Aberdeen in their heyday (Aberdeen has about a 10th the population of Madrid), or Denmark/Greece winning the European Championships. These things happen from time to time.

CropleyWasGod
07-09-2015, 09:25 AM
IIRC, Iceland have never qualified for a major tournament before in their history. The fact that they have done so this year after decades of failing probably shouldn't be interpreted as any sort of trend.

You could use the same argument about Dundee Utd/Aberdeen in their heyday (Aberdeen has about a 10th the population of Madrid), or Denmark/Greece winning the European Championships. These things happen from time to time.

Indeed.

When Scotland qualified for the 74 and 78 WC's, we did so with a population of half of London's.

Kato
07-09-2015, 09:35 AM

So Iceland start spending on buildings, infrastructure and investing heavily in coaching 10-12 years ago but it's just a coincidence that they are starting to play effective football at this level?

Mikey09
07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
So Iceland start spending on buildings, infrastructure and investing heavily in coaching 10-12 years ago but it's just a coincidence that they are starting to play effective football at this level?

I agree Kato.... However the most important part of your post is the coaching part. They are obviously coaching these young kids all the right things. Where are we going wrong?! I like what Strachan has/is doing with the national squad. We must admit he has worked wonders with players with limited ability. Again though, if there is no change in the way we are coaching our young players the way the game should be played WGS will have to work the same miracle time and time again. There is something drastically wrong if this is going to be the case year after year. We must accept something is wrong and change it!!

Kato
07-09-2015, 09:52 AM
I agree Kato.... However the most important part of your post is the coaching part. They are obviously coaching these young kids all the right things. Where are we going wrong?! I like what Strachan has/is doing with the national squad. We must admit he has worked wonders with players with limited ability. Again though, if there is no change in the way we are coaching our young players the way the game should be played WGS will have to work the same miracle time and time again. There is something drastically wrong if this is going to be the case year after year. We must accept something is wrong and change it!!

These concerns have been expressed since the end WWII, but every year we slip further and further behind in both facilities and coaching.

Strachan has got some decent results and has produced a pattern of play which is a bit easier on the eye than some managers but I still get the feeling we will come up short.

No one at SFA is all that interested in changing the way the game is taught in Scotland. Most of our great players from the past will have learned their skills on the streets and those days are long gone.

I've said it before on here, the SFA's most pressing business is placating Celtic and The Rangers, everything is secondary and done on the cheap.

Mikey09
07-09-2015, 09:54 AM
These concerns have been expressed since the end WWII, but every year we slip further and further behind in both facilities and coaching.

Strachan has got some decent results and has produced a pattern of play which is a bit easier on the eye than some managers but I still get the feeling we will come up short.

No one at SFA is all that interested in changing the way the game is taught in Scotland. Most of our great players from the past will have learned their skills on the streets and those days are long gone.

I've said it before on here, the SFA's most pressing business is placating Celtic and The Rangers, everything is secondary and done on the cheap.

:agree:

SteveHFC
07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Think you might be right there. I suggest that you put 500k on that with Ladbrokes..........

:greengrin

Worth a pound at least.

MWHIBBIES
07-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Iceland were close in 2014 as well, they have improved significantly over the last 5 years mainly because they desperately wanted to improve and took massive steps to do so. They made an ambitious, proven and experienced coaching appointment in Lars Lagerback before their WC qualifiers started because they believed they could qualify and were damn close in the end only losing a playoff to a Croatia team including guys like Modric and Manzukic. They then promoted the assistant Heimir Hallgrimsson to joint manager (with Lagerback) for this campaign and have qualified with flying colors with him set to take full control when Lagerback retires after Euro 2016. If Scotland went about appointing managers like they have instead of dinosaurs like Levein and Burley they'd be in a far better state. Their u21s recently beat France which is again more evidence that this is no accident.

Maybe it will end up being a one off like you are predicting but it would be extremely unfair to put this down to luck or some fluke because they have earned and deserve every bit of this success. They have scored 15 goals in qualifying and conceded only 3 in 8 games in a group with the Czechs and Holland.

Future17
07-09-2015, 10:07 AM
The boy from Coldplay?! Maybe he could bring his piano with him to play in Hutton's place...:greengrin

"In my place, in my place, he sings at my running pace...":singing:

fulshie
07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
I cant understand why people are surprised at where we are. The truth is we were lucky to get a draw in Poland and in Ireland. We are still in with a shout for a playoff spot but, we'll need to punch well above our weight to do so. GS did have us playing well but we have become predictable and managers of the other nations haven't took long to find a way to combat us. We need another dimension and for the life of me I sadly cant see one, then again I'm not a manager. However I'll be there tonight cheering hoping and praying for the miracle I think we need.

Mikey09
07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
I expect to see Whittaker in place of Hutton tonight. And Sparky to start. :greengrin

Scorrie
07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
I think the really sad thing is that we keep on having threads like this and that nothing ever appears to be done. The SFA haven't been fit for purpose for years but nobody takes them to task at all bar an occasional newspaper article. Countries like Germany and Iceland took clear decisions to improve their football performances in competitions with a long term plan which everybody including clubs bought into. What did we get? A Henry McLeish report which I don't know what happened to. With Doncaster and Regan in charge, I don't expect any improvement soon or if at all.

fulshie
07-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I expect to see Whittaker in place of Hutton tonight. And Sparky to start. :greengrin I would go with that and I would also like to see Hanley playing with Mulgrew moved up into midfield in place of Morrison or even Mulgrew dropped and McArthur in instead.

SteveHFC
07-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Marshall Hutton R Martin Hanley Mulgrew Brown Morrison Forrest McArthur Maloney Fletcher #SCOvGER (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCOvGER?src=hash) #COMEONSCOTLAND (https://twitter.com/hashtag/COMEONSCOTLAND?src=hash)

Apparently the team. :faf:

McSwanky
07-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Iceland were close in 2014 as well, they have improved significantly over the last 5 years mainly because they desperately wanted to improve and took massive steps to do so. They made an ambitious, proven and experienced coaching appointment in Lars Lagerback before their WC qualifiers started because they believed they could qualify and were damn close in the end only losing a playoff to a Croatia team including guys like Modric and Manzukic. They then promoted the assistant Heimir Hallgrimsson to joint manager (with Lagerback) for this campaign and have qualified with flying colors with him set to take full control when Lagerback retires after Euro 2016. If Scotland went about appointing managers like they have instead of dinosaurs like Levein and Burley they'd be in a far better state. Their u21s recently beat France which is again more evidence that this is no accident.

Maybe it will end up being a one off like you are predicting but it would be extremely unfair to put this down to luck or some fluke because they have earned and deserve every bit of this success. They have scored 15 goals in qualifying and conceded only 3 in 8 games in a group with the Czechs and Holland.

Fair enough. I haven't researched the recent history of football in Iceland as you have!

I'm not saying it's a fluke by the way, just like I'm not denying Aberdeen had a fantastic team and manager in the early 80s. I'm just saying it's quite easy just to pick on the wee country that's punching above its weight at the moment and say "why can't we be more like them?" We could just as easily be looking at the Netherlands or Greece and saying "aren't we doing well?"

I'm also not denying Scotland could and should be doing better either.....

Peevemor
07-09-2015, 11:37 AM
It's not all down to the SFA and it's not just football that suffers.

On Saturday, across France, each town had it's "forum des associations' (in big towns there's one for each area). This is where all the groups that run various activities/clubs promote themselves and take subscriptions.

In my town it was held at the sports hall (council owned and not attached specifically to the school). There are 3 halls - one big (5s/basketball sized) and 2 smaller for judo and gym stuff.

15394 15395 15396

There are clubs/facilities for

Football (all ages)
Different gym/dance things (all ages)
Basketball
Table tennis
Handball
Judo & Jujitsu
Badminton
Cycling (road)
Cycling (mountain biking)
Yoga
Boules (bowls)
Horsey stuff
Together with other actvities incluing dance, mechanics, nature, first aid courses, hunting, etc.

Annual subs range from about £40-150 and low-income families receive vouchers from the state specifically to help pay for this stuff.

In terms of football, there are all age groups and an impressive looking timetable stuck to their clubhouse window showing what age group is to come when and exactly what they'll be working on. The town employs a full-time coach.

The population of the town is currently 2,800 and (even slightly) bigger towns have more facilities and offer a wider range of stuff. There are 3 decent sized towns within a 15-20 minute drive but you're not expected to take your kids there to take up a sport - they prefer to keep things local to open stuff up to everyone.

Scotland and the UK has a bit of catching up to do.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Marshall Hutton R Martin Hanley Mulgrew Brown Morrison Forrest McArthur Maloney Fletcher #SCOvGER (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCOvGER?src=hash) #COMEONSCOTLAND (https://twitter.com/hashtag/COMEONSCOTLAND?src=hash)

Yep - just saw that. Its really hard to fathom. Lacking in imagination.

WeeRussell
07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I expect to see Whittaker in place of Hutton tonight. And Sparky to start. :greengrin

I'll be very surprised if Strachan starts Griffiths.

WeeRussell
07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Yep - just saw that. Its really hard to fathom. Lacking in imagination.

Is this genuinely confirmed as the starting 11? Forrest?

Naismith isn't injured is he?

Brightside
07-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Is this genuinely confirmed as the starting 11? Forrest?

Naismith isn't injured is he?

Its been leaked from a player. that back 4 will get ripped to bits. Ive seen double deckers turn quicker. I don't understand why he wouldn't have Darren Fletcher in the midfield. The only player we have close to top class at the moment - and hes at the end of his career. No anya, Robertson... no pace.

EH6 Hibby
07-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Is Scotland's performance not just another part of the gradual decline of football in this country?

My son plays for his school team. They are still at 7 a side, and they struggle to get a team some weeks. There's 16 boys in his class so that's half the boys in the class not interested in football. When I was at school, nearly all the boys were into football. It's not just his school, we regularly get call offs because the other team can't get enough players.

patlowe
07-09-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm pessimistic about our chances of qualifying now. We're not terrible, and Strachan is a good coach, but I just don't think we have quite enough quality to go out and earn a place at a major tournament. If we had a Gareth Bale, the other guys would be good enough to get us over the line, but we don't.

What should also be remembered in our quest for 2nd/3rd is that, in their respective eras/groups, IIRC Vogts got to the play-offs, Levein just missed out on 2nd place, Burley missed out on 2nd on goal difference. Obviously groups and seedings play a huge part but it's still fascinating the way the narratives are built around particular Scotland teams/managers. In reality, we're never far off but at the same time we're never quite good enough, as it appears this campaign is turning out.

I'm positive though. We've seen plenty false dawns, but the youngsters coming through in the ranks give me hope that we can move forward with talented, technically good players. The points in this group when we've resembled a good side is when the ball has moved through technical guys like Fletcher and Maloney; or modern full backs like Robertson. The days of hit and hope in international football are over IMO. So maybe when they've developed a bit we'll start to put our trust in guys like Gauld, Christie, Scott Allan maybe, and that might see us improve.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Is Scotland's performance not just another part of the gradual decline of football in this country?

My son plays for his school team. They are still at 7 a side, and they struggle to get a team some weeks. There's 16 boys in his class so that's half the boys in the class not interested in football. When I was at school, nearly all the boys were into football. It's not just his school, we regularly get call offs because the other team can't get enough players.

school football is murder. you do struggle to find 7 players in a year that can actually just kick a ball in the right direction.

Onion
07-09-2015, 12:37 PM

A team designed to keep the score down :rolleyes:

calumhibee1
07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
school football is murder. you do struggle to find 7 players in a year that can actually just kick a ball in the right direction.

Really? When I was at primary school we actually had two teams cause we had that many players. Out of our year I think we had about 20 football players and about 10-12 were playing for really good teams. I just presumed every school was similar to an extent.

Kato
07-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Point being we should be making the most of the potential of the guys who do want to play.

patlowe
07-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but it stands to reason that if there's good players in the boys clubs, there's good players in the schools.

When I was at school we had a great group of players in our year, including Darren McGregor and a number of other guys that have done OK out of football. We all played at a high level outside of school but the problem was that there was no appetite or will to really support a football team within the school itself. The rugby guys obviously had much better backing from teachers and parents, and therefore got all the funding and spotlight. Maybe says more about my old school than the wider system mind, not sure how common that situation is.

JimBHibees
07-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Purely down to the lack of teachers or volunteers willing to take on the team and the clash between club football and school football.

SlickShoes
07-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but it stands to reason that if there's good players in the boys clubs, there's good players in the schools.

When I was at school we had a great group of players in our year, including Darren McGregor and a number of other guys that have done OK out of football. We all played at a high level outside of school but the problem was that there was no appetite or will to really support a football team within the school itself. The rugby guys obviously had much better backing from teachers and parents, and therefore got all the funding and spotlight. Maybe says more about my old school than the wider system mind, not sure how common that situation is.

At my school they had a policy of not allowing football during PE because it was too popular and we couldn't be seen to just be playing a sport we enjoyed.

At primary school the team was run by the janitor and someones dad. At high school it was run by our history teacher who sometimes had to miss games to teach, the school weren't interested in having sports teams at all.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Most players at boys club are advised not to play for school teams also. School teams are now about "taking part" etc. Also no funding at schools for strips, coaching etc. Even at boys club level there is a huge gulf in class between some of the teams in the same "leagues".

Thecat23
07-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Most players at boys club are advised not to play for school teams also. School teams are now about "taking part" etc. Also no funding at schools for strips, coaching etc. Even at boys club level there is a huge gulf in class between some of the teams in the same "leagues".

Spot on.

My_Wife_Camille
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Apparently the team. :faf:whats so funny ya clown?

Bristolhibby
07-09-2015, 04:37 PM
whats so funny ya clown?

Forrest and Hutton are my comedy highlights.

J

Keith_M
07-09-2015, 04:42 PM
My prediction for Scotland tonight...

Gonna get humped,

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 04:53 PM
forrest is hugely overrated imo

Gordy M
07-09-2015, 05:00 PM
My prediction for Scotland tonight...

Gonna get humped,
I think scotland have a pretty good record in qualifying for both euros and wcq in glasgow. I cant remember the last time we were 'humped' at home??

Mr White
07-09-2015, 05:02 PM
I think scotland have a pretty good record in qualifying for both euros and wcq in glasgow. I cant remember the last time we were 'humped' at home??

That's right and we've run the 2006 and 2010 wc winners close at Hampden while they were reigning champions. Reckon we'll give the Germans a tough game tonight.

easty
07-09-2015, 05:03 PM
That's right and we've run the 2006 and 2010 wc runners close at Hampden while they were reigning champions. Reckon we'll give the Germans a tough game tonight.

So do I, but we'll no take any points from it.

Mr White
07-09-2015, 05:04 PM
So do I, but we'll no take any points from it.

Yeah I held back from making any bold predictions there :greengrin what the hell draw tonight, 1 each.

lyonhibs
07-09-2015, 05:12 PM
That centre back pairing makes me feel that maybe booze at the football wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. Those 2 against Germany should come with a "do not watch sober " warning.

Billy Whizz
07-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Scotland team caught up in traffic, not yet at Hampden

Thecat23
07-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Muller to score first 0-3 Germany is 33/1. Got a ten spot on it.

Hiber-nation
07-09-2015, 05:42 PM
That centre back pairing makes me feel that maybe booze at the football wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. Those 2 against Germany should come with a "do not watch sober " warning.

Who would you pick then?

Pete
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm scanning the bookies but I can't get a price for "glorious failure" anywhere.

SteveHFC
07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FHYJ8wt.jpg

sauzeelegod
07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
At my school they had a policy of not allowing football during PE because it was too popular and we couldn't be seen to just be playing a sport we enjoyed.

At primary school the team was run by the janitor and someones dad. At high school it was run by our history teacher who sometimes had to miss games to teach, the school weren't interested in having sports teams at all.

Did you go to Hunters Tryst primary?

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Might be worth your while, too. 0-3 is the kind of result I'm expecting.

3pm
07-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Looks like Germany are playing for a draw with one up front....

ruthven_raiders
07-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Did you go to Hunters Tryst primary?

I went to Hunters Tryst primary...sadly no longer there, soon houses will be built on that land.

Alex Trager
07-09-2015, 05:58 PM
No griffiths starting.

We need goals tonight.
Start someone who is scoring man.

Thecat23
07-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Might be worth your while, too. 0-3 is the kind of result I'm expecting.

Really hope I'm wrong but that team looks lacking in goals IMO. So 33/1 looked to good!

Thecat23
07-09-2015, 06:04 PM
No griffiths starting.

We need goals tonight.
Start someone who is scoring man.

Embarrassing, it shows that no matter how well you play the "old boys" will always start! Strachan needed to have balls and start with Leigh, he's not so god help us if we lose an early goal.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Who would you pick then?

Hanlon and ermmmm Hanlon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Pace needed up front. Fletcher is the wrong pick tonight. Hope I am wrong.

Iain G
07-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Embarrassing, it shows that no matter how well you play the "old boys" will always start! Strachan needed to have balls and start with Leigh, he's not so god help us if we lose an early goal.

No problem with Fletcher starting, if we are playing with one up top to hold up the ball and bring the midfield into the game he is our best bet, however would rather see him and Leigh starting and really have a go at the Germans. Strachan playing it a little safe tonight? More concerned at the likes of Hutton the Huddie getting a start.....

Hiber-nation
07-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Hanlon and ermmmm Hanlon.

Never asked you cos I knew what the response would be :greengrin

Tyler Durden
07-09-2015, 06:21 PM

It's not embarrassing at all. Fletcher is an experienced player and caused Germany plenty problems over there, setting up Anya's goal. Griffiths time will come, Celtic don't trust him to start in Europe and he showed why in Malmo. His time will come

The old boys? Like Forrest or Robertson or McArthur or Anya, Ritchie who have all had chances recently?

Scotland were rubbish on Friday but there's some amount of nonsense been posted since then

Tyler Durden
07-09-2015, 06:23 PM
FWIW I would've played Anya up against Emre Can, who was again lost positionally at right back against Poland. Cannot understand what Strachan sees in Forrest

Also people can slag Martin and Hanley but they've rarely let Scotland down

easty
07-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Germany to win by 2 or more, 12 or more corners, 35 or more booking points (10 for a yellow, 25 for red). 11/1 at Skybet.

johnbc70
07-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Germany to get an early goal and its all over after 10 mins.

CockneyRebel
07-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I went to Hunters Tryst primary...sadly no longer there, soon houses will be built on that land.

My son went there also - janitor and a parent were total infrastructure of the school's footballing aspirations. The janny would ref one half of a game and someone from the opposing school would ref the second half. The janny was pretty good and pretty fair, the opposition refs would cheat like **** even when they were by far the better side and winning easily - they just couldn't help themselves. I had to stop going to support my son as the red mist would descend on me. This lack of support from the schools system led to many boys (my son included) becoming disillusioned and losing interest.
It wasn't much better when he went to Firrhill High School. One teacher ran the team and generally just picked his favourites. My son and his pals (who regularly ran rings around the chosen ones in practice) eventually realised how things were and joined teams outside the school. Four different parent groups went to see the Headmaster (and later the Headmistress) to complain about the lack of a coach or any organisation but it came to nowt.
This is just two schools in one area and if it is mirrored in other areas then it's obvious why schoolboy football is in decline and why the talent is drying up.

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Poland 2-0 Gibraltar

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 07:06 PM

You're on here, mate.

cabbageandribs1875
curtains, so soon

heretoday
Well it was coming. They are world champs. Immensely hard to play against.

Scorrie
Oh dear. All to do now ...

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Oh dear. All to do now ...

We'll do **** all against this team. They're a class act.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 07:08 PM
You're on here, mate.

i went for 3-1...nae chance of us scoring!!

Hibrandenburg
07-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Kin feel a pumping coming on.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2015, 07:12 PM
I know we dont often get really pumped, but i am worried here that this could get embarrassing.

The gulf in class is huge, i just can't see how we can even get in the positions we need to get to, to even get an effort on goal?.

They will run the legs off us as the game goes on and then pick us off. :boo hoo:

WTF do i know. 1-1

emerald green
07-09-2015, 07:12 PM
We'll do **** all against this team. They're a class act.

:agree: Scotland hardly had a kick of the ball so far.

Sylar
07-09-2015, 07:13 PM
We'll do well to get a shot on target, let alone score.

They're so comfortable in possession.

HiBremian
07-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Kin feel a pumping coming on.

Went for Germany to score more than 3. Or can we win 5-4? :greengrin

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Free kick Scotland good position innnmnn ya beauty

Brightside

oh my.

cabbageandribs1875
1-1 what a team :greengrin own goals always welcome

johnbc70
Who would have thought! 1-1

Mr White
Yes!

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Og!!! Ha ha a bit of luck back. C'mon Scotland

cabbageandribs1875
Polski 4 Gib 0

HiBremian
1-1 what a team :greengrin

Cunningly manufactured OG :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba

I said we'd give them a real game :-D

The Cat has just put out a mafia contract on Hummels.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Cunningly manufactured OG :greengrin

hopefully we can manufacture a goal scored by one of our own players :)

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Forests final ball is always pish

Pretty Boy
What a team, Paris here we come. Never doubted the bravehearts.

Iain G
Hutton is still a liability!!

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:21 PM
marshall is p@sh

johnbc70
Did not last long 1-2

Brightside
oh FFS Charlie Mulgrew should be nowhere near the LB position. and he wasn't there!

Pretty Boy
Booooo. Rubbish. Strahan oot.

Scorrie
Where was Mulgrew there? Off the pitch?

Iain G
07-09-2015, 07:23 PM
oh FFS Charlie Mulgrew should be nowhere near the LB position. and he wasn't there!

Why is Robertson not playing at left back?!?

Green forever
07-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Because he doesn't play for Celtic ?

Pretty Boy
07-09-2015, 07:24 PM
marshall is p@sh

He's really not.

He should be doing better there but so should Neuer at the Scotland goal and no one would call him pish.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Too much talent?

J-C
07-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Defence is ****ing shocking, for so called international players, surely this isn't the best we have for our country.

Time to get the young lads in and get rid of some of these imposters and English granny players.

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Offside but an amazing finish

Aldo
07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Yip couldn't agree more. Caught ball watching.

Robertson should be playing IMHO

Since90+2
07-09-2015, 07:27 PM

I assume he has played Mulgrew to counter the significant ariel threat of Muller.

Thecat23
Poor defending for the second plus keeper should have done much better. That's why I would have Gordon in goals for Scotland! I think he's a better keeper all round.

Iain G
Too much talent?

Mulgrew keeps drifting into the middle leaving space wide and what happened to the Scott Brown we had at Hibs

heretoday
07-09-2015, 07:29 PM
It's comedy capers at the back, right enough.

Since90+2
Defence is ****ing shocking, for so called international players, surely this isn't the best we have for our country.

Time to get the young lads in and get rid of some of these imposters and English granny players.

Hardly. We are up against the best team in the world, our 'young lads' would be slaughtered.

Overall we are not doing too badly when you consider who the opposition are.

emerald green
Possession 79%/21% so far.

Onion
07-09-2015, 07:30 PM
marshall is p@sh

:agree: What happened to Gordon ? Twice the keeper.

jacomo
Mulgrew keeps drifting into the middle leaving space wide and what happened to the Scott Brown we had at Hibs

Eh?! He's been a Celtc player longer than he was a Hibs player - that gallus wee tyro we remember is long gone.

Off the bar
Corner Scotland. . . Yreesssss ya beauty 2-2

Iain G
Yeeesss!! Lol

Since90+2
Like I said. We are not doing too badly are we :greengrin

Aldo
Our 2 CH's are on a hiding to nothing at the moment with little or no help from their fullbacks.

Mulgrew is having a mare!

Thecat23
07-09-2015, 07:31 PM
What a finish!!!

SJNB Hibby
By the fu## lads---hang in there!!!!

Off the bar
Brilliant volley McArthur

heretoday
Brilliant!

Iain G
Eh?! He's been a Celtc player longer than he was a Hibs player - that gallus wee tyro we remember is long gone.

Bloody old firm ruining Scottish fitba ;-)

Aldo
Strike

Pretty Boy
Goooooalll.

Shows what happens when you pick a player in form.

Brightside
argh bollix! Right get in there scotland!!! :greengrin:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 07:32 PM
One of the strangest halves of football I've ever seen. We've hardly had a touch but have scored twice. Germany look so superior yet we're somehow 2-2.

SJNB Hibby
PLEASE hold on till half time

Ronniekirk
Poor defending for the second plus keeper should have done much better. That's why I would have Gordon in goals for Scotland! I think he's a better keeper all round.

His time will come

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:33 PM
we're half way towards being the new world champions

Off the bar
Ht no idea how we're level but I'll take that

blackpoolhibs
As i said, we could be on the end of a real thrashing here, we dont look like scoring at all.

Pretty Boy
That's a good strike but keeper should be doing better. Only thing I can think is the player standing offside obscured his vision.

He's having a mare tonight.

pontius pilate
Can we actually pull this off. Bring on some pace anya Ritchie and sparky would be the three subs is use at some point

Iain G
07-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Playing six at the back when Germans attack and midfield then ends up too narrow and Germany passing it through the midfield like they are not there, not sure if Strachans plan is working or not?! Lol

heretoday
07-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Cracking match. I can't honestly see us not losing given the pressing of the Germans but there are sure to be more thrills in the second half.

J-C
07-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Hardly. We are up against the best team in the world, our 'young lads' would be slaughtered.

Overall we are not doing too badly when you consider who the opposition are.

You happy with the defending then, well I'm not, they are rotten, going forward we're ok and doing well but come on, the defence is rank

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:36 PM
the germans have won 65 of the last 70 games they have taken the lead in

:nerd:

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2015, 07:38 PM
You happy with the defending then, well I'm not, they are rotten, going forward we're ok and doing well but come on, the defence is rank

You could pick ANY other back 4 that we have available, and i guarantee they'd all look just as bad against this team.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:39 PM
HT

Poland 4 Gib 0
Eire 0 Georgia 0

Since90+2

Against Germany I would say yes, we have done alright.

The first goal was a mistake from a midfielder not the defence.

Considering the options we have and the fact we are up against guys like Ozil , Gotze and in particular Muller (who is I'm my opinion probably in the top 5 players in the world) then we are doing ok.

Tyler Durden
Our 2 CH's are on a hiding to nothing at the moment with little or no help from their fullbacks.

Mulgrew is having a mare!

The fullbacks are following the tactics and tucking in. Sure Mulgrew could've done better at the 2nd but he was marking his man. It was Maloney who switched off.

Robertson isn't playing cos he was murder on Friday

Off the bar
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM
I know it's a deflection for their first goal but the passing in the build up is amazing they just keep it and keep it until fashioning the shot. When they've been good they're different class, we've been lucky and taken/forced the 2 chances we've made

Onion
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Some of the strangest goals you'll see in one match. Both keepers looking dodgy, but Nuer is comedy gold. Still expect the Germans to go up a gear and do us, but 2-2 is a pleasing HT result .... and you just never know with Scotland.

Tyler Durden
07-09-2015, 07:45 PM
There's definitely more chances in the game for Scotland, just need a bit more luck defensively. For all the possession Germany haven't created many clear cut chances albeit we'll tire.

Anya and Naismith are good subs to have though

stoneyburn hibs
07-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Are Scotland playing ok ??, can't see it as I'm in Belfast.

Speedy
07-09-2015, 07:47 PM
That's a good strike but keeper should be doing better. Only thing I can think is the player standing offside obscured his vision.

He's having a mare tonight.

Neuer is a good keeper but overrated imo.

Don't think he'd be rated near best in the world if it wasn't for all the galavanting.

Pete
07-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Come on Georgia.

sauzeelegod

I went there too. I went and had a look the other day. It is sad indeed

blackpoolhibs
This German team took 7 off Brazil on their own patch not so long ago, and we have folk moaning about how bad we are defensively?

We are light years behind the Germans in quality all over the park, and we will probably go on and lose this game, but FFS lets get things in perspective here?

J-C
07-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Against Germany I would say yes, we have done alright.

The first goal was a mistake from a midfielder not the defence.

Considering the options we have and the fact we are up against guys like Ozil , Gotze and in particular Muller (who is I'm my opinion probably in the top 5 players in the world) then we are doing ok.

I don't disagree that we are up against some top top players but the schoolboy errors we are seeing is very frustrating, players not being picked up, Mulgrew forgetting he's playing LB, Brown taking himself out of position trying to put a challenge in, just annoying watching them compete not too badly for the majority of the game just to make basic errors.

The main thing to do against a team like Germany is to concentrate and they have switched off on a few occasions, we know we will see little of the ball and possession will be in their favour, so we have to keep it tight.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:50 PM
wonder who the next OG will be for :hyper

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Are Scotland playing ok ??, can't see it as I'm in Belfast.

They've been ok. We've lost two poor goals though.

Why does being in Belfast mean you can't watch the game? It's on Sky.

J-C
You could pick ANY other back 4 that we have available, and i guarantee they'd all look just as bad against this team.

I know G, just gets very frustrating watching players make basic mistakes in these big games.

Brightside
Neuer is a good keeper but overrated imo.

Don't think he'd be rated near best in the world if it wasn't for all the galavanting.

He's a great sweeper.

stoneyburn hibs
07-09-2015, 07:53 PM
They've been ok. We've lost two poor goals though.

Why does being in Belfast mean you can't watch the game? It's on Sky.

Thanks Trig, I'm in a boozer so only the NI game on.

MCameron
07-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Anyone got a stream for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
07-09-2015, 07:54 PM
the germans have won 65 of the last 70 games they have taken the lead in

:nerd:

Records are made to be broken. N MacWhirter....

Since90+2
07-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I don't disagree that we are up against some top top players but the schoolboy errors we are seeing is very frustrating, players not being picked up, Mulgrew forgetting he's playing LB, Brown taking himself out of position trying to put a challenge in, just annoying watching them compete not too badly for the majority of the game just to make basic errors.

The main thing to do against a team like Germany is to concentrate and they have switched off on a few occasions, we know we will see little of the ball and possession will be in their favour, so we have to keep it tight.

Mulgrew was tracking his man for the goal.

It wasnt Brown taking himself out of position for the goal it was James McArthur.

I don't agree players are not being picked up. That's the difference with world level guys like Muller and Gotze, they can create space and time for themselves that inferior players just can't do. They can also make it seem like defenders are not doing their job, better players than we have, world class players. See the 7-0 win in Brazil.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 07:57 PM
how simple a goal was that

Brightside
ripped apart again. Muller is different gravy. Unreal why Man U etc didn't try and sign him.

cabbageandribs1875
Records are made to be broken. N MacWhirter....

not this time i'm afraid...imo of course

Off the bar
Good goal far too good for us 3-2 Germany

Onceinawhile
07-09-2015, 07:58 PM
ripped apart again. Muller is different gravy. Unreal why Man U etc didn't try and sign him.

They did for 60m euros according to Munich,but why would he leave and why would bayern sell?

johnbc70
07-09-2015, 07:59 PM

I think they did try but Bayern told them where to go.

J-C
07-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Huge difference in class, midfield can compete but our defence is very poor indeed, we have many years of this to come if this is the best we have.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Get Morrison OFF now. Stupid boy.

Brightside
07-09-2015, 08:01 PM
They did for 60m euros according to Munich,but why would he leave and why would bayern sell?

You'd have to go higher than that - they spent 32m on a teenager with potential.

Allant1981
If scott brown had followed his player after watching him then it could have been avoided

Green forever
Get James Forrest out of there, playing like a little boy lost, waste of a jersey.

cabbageandribs1875
morrison misses game v poland

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 08:03 PM
anya coming on for maloney...get forrest off as well ffs man, hope he's not expecting a cap for this game

polski 6 gib 0

emerald green
Huge difference in class, midfield can compete but our defence is very poor indeed, we have many years of this to come if this is the best we have.

Scotland haven't qualified for the finals of the Euoros or World Cup since 1998 IIRC. I might be wrong though.

Off the bar
Anya coming on for for Maloney

easty
07-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Mulgrew was tracking his man for the goal.

It wasnt Brown taking himself out of position for the goal it was James McArthur.

I don't agree players are not being picked up. That's the difference with world level guys like Muller and Gotze, they can create space and time for themselves that inferior players just can't do. They can also make it seem like defenders are not doing their job, better players than we have, world class players. See the 7-0 win in Brazil.

It started about 30 yards out, on our left, though. Mulgrew showed his man an easy ball inside instead of pushing the guy out wide away from goal. Mulgrew is never a full back. He's all over the place, been honking all night.

Onion
07-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Far, far too easy. Scots chasing their own shadows. Hutton and Morrison... oh dear.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Why's Fletcher trying to lay that off there? Just turn and go!

lucky
Brown, Morrison and Fletcher look lost. This could 5 or 6 v 2. Massive difference in class

J-C
Scotland haven't qualified for the finals of the Euoros or World Cup since 1998 IIRC. I might be wrong though.

And we'll not qualify for any more until we get better players in, our club sides and our national team are all rubbish.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 08:06 PM
our number 3 is as slow as a week in jail

Real Emerald
07-09-2015, 08:08 PM
It started about 30 yards out, on our left, though. Mulgrew showed his man an easy ball inside instead of pushing the guy out wide away from goal. Mulgrew is never a full back. He's all over the place, been honking all night.

Yes but Provan never says anything about the Celtic players mistakes.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
gtf mulgrew ffs eh

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 08:10 PM
I think they did try but Bayern told them where to go.

I think it was £70 million. Ruminegge said it was a massive offer but Muller isn't for sale at any price.

Aldo
07-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Mulgrew has hardly played since he was injured last season yet he starts.

Woeful player. Absolutely shocking

Mr White
07-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Ireland one up against georgia.

pontius pilate
07-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Mulgrew is shocking how on earth is he playing woeful absolutely woeful. Forrest has offered nothing as well

emerald green
07-09-2015, 08:14 PM
And we'll not qualify for any more until we get better players in, our club sides and our national team are all rubbish.

There's no easy answer to this. It's been debated and debated.

Maybe it's simply unrealistic for Scotland to compete with consistently and defeat much larger countries like Germany, Spain, Italy, France etc, who have much greater resources, both financial and population wise.

OK it's only 2-3 tonight and anything is possible in a one-off match, but the gulf is clear, and has been for years.

Diclonius
07-09-2015, 08:17 PM
If glorious failure was a sport, Scotland would be world champions.

God Petrie
Poor form from Poland. Everyone knows you stop at 7.

Aldo
Well looks another qualifying campaign petering out to nowt!

cabbageandribs1875
73 mins gone and forrest is still on the park...incredible

God Petrie
07-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Let's not piss ourselves in despair just yet. Win against Poland and we will qualify for the playoffs.

Aldo
07-09-2015, 08:18 PM
73 mins gone and forrest is still on the park...incredible

Indeed. He's been terrible. Why not bring on Griffiths or Naismith and play 2 up top??

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2015, 08:19 PM
chris martin and ritchiecoming on for.........

Liam89
07-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Let's not piss ourselves in despair just yet. Win against Poland and we will qualify for the playoffs.

Unless of course, Ireland get a result against either Poland or Germany.