PDA

View Full Version : Thornton Hibs

DaveF
05-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know the history behind Thornton Hibs, in so much as were they ever linked in any way to the club? I've read the history article on their website and there isn't any mention so I suspect the name is just down to the club being formed by Hibs supporters back in the day but wondered if there was more to it than that.

Do any Fife based fans watch them at all?

Glory Lurker
05-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Sorry, I'm not answering your question here but would certainly hope it is a direct Hibs connection as I'm guessing Kelty Hearts is yam-"inspired"?

Peevemor
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/thorntonhibsjfc/151027/History?id=31049

There's not much about their origins on their website.

It could well be however that they were one of a number of Hibernian teams throughout Scotland who were inspired by the originals in Edinburgh, although 1913 is fairly late.

hibs0666
05-09-2015, 07:23 PM
I once walked a big Labrador across the cupar hearts pitch. Half way over the lad dropped a turd that would not have shamed shergar. I thought about scooping it up for about a millisecond.

Glory Lurker
05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/thorntonhibsjfc/151027/History?id=31049

There's not much about their origins on their website.

It could well be however that they were one of a number of Hibernian teams throughout Scotland who were inspired by the originals in Edinburgh, although 1913 is fairly late.

Still a few years ahead of Dundee Hibernian, though, so there is hope!

connerg
05-09-2015, 08:58 PM
I once walked a big Labrador across the cupar hearts pitch. Half way over the lad dropped a turd that would not have shamed shergar. I thought about scooping it up for about a millisecond.

:greengrin:top marks:greengrin

Ronniekirk
05-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Used to stay with my grandmother a lot at weekends as a chilld in the 60 s and she lived in Thornton so watched them a lot with my Hibs top on .

Ronniekirk
05-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Thier biggest crowd was 6000 in 1960 when they reached the 6th round of Cup competion against Blantyre Celtic .

Gola
06-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Thier biggest crowd was 6000 in 1960 when they reached the 6th round of Cup competion against Blantyre Celtic .
The commitee has a few hibees on board and thornton is a village divided between hibs hearts and the others ones . Went to SJC semi against Cumnock a few years back but lost 1-0 , you went as well ronnie @ broadwood .

Thornton Hibee
06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I've supported Thornton Hibs all my life as my back garden looks onto their park. They turned Junior in 1935 but I am not sure if they were formed in 1913, something runs in my mind that a photograph of them was uncovered from an attic in the village and was dated 1913 but it was unclear if this was their first season or not.

Blantyre was the largest attendance in 1960 when they went on to reach the Semi Finals of the Scottish Cup but lost after a replay against St Andrews. They again reached the Semi Finals in 2008 but lost 0-3 after extra time against Cumnock.

Last season they won the East Region North Division and now compete in the Premier League.

Ronniekirk
06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
The commitee has a few hibees on board and thornton is a village divided between hibs hearts and the others ones . Went to SJC semi against Cumnock a few years back but lost 1-0 , you went as well ronnie @ broadwood .

Am just a frustrated Glory Hunter, One of these years I will hopefully see a Hibs side win the Scottish Cup 😜

Thornton Hibee
07-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Am just a frustrated Glory Hunter, One of these years I will hopefully see a Hibs side win the Scottish Cup 

I never thought I would see Thornton Hibs reach the Semi Finals of the Scottish Junior Cup but they emulated that 1960 side by facing Cumnock that day. Our keeper got sent off in the last minute of normal time at 0-0. A defender came on as a sub and went in goal and saved the penalty. I actually thought it was gonna be our day but no such luck as Cumnock, against the ten men (including outfield player in goals) went on to win 3-0. I think a proper keeper would've saved a couple of the goals but I would never fault the stand in goalie as he saved the penalty to take the match to extra time. Turns out that the management had a second keeper on the day but never even stripped him hence the reason the defender went in goals. Schoolboy error. Dunno which Hibs team is more likely to win their respective Scottish Cup first lol :rolleyes: