PDA

View Full Version : Gym memberships...

green&left
04-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Anyone a member of the likes of David Lloyd, Bannantynes, Virgin Active etc? If so roughly what do you pay per month?

Member of PureGym Ocean Terminal but recently its been always rammed, and generally rammed full of phannys (to be expected at £19 a month granted). Getting bored of just the gym so fancied somewhere with a swimming pool, classes, racquet courts etc.

Been a member of Edinburgh Leisure before and for all it was good value, my local gyms and pools (Viccy baths and Porty) you could hardly move in them at times with three quarters of the pool dedicated to swimming classes, also parking was a 'mare.

Any recommendations for any others to try?

EH6 Hibby
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM
I went for a tour round David Lloyd Newhaven a few weeks ago and for a single full membership it costs £91 a month.

calumhibee1
04-09-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm at the Village Urban Resorts hotel on Ferry Road. Gym is pretty decent, nice clean pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, classes are free (I think anyway). £45 a month if you commit to a year. :agree:

patch1875
04-09-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm a member of Bannantynes at Newcraighall think a single membership is about £55(you can get a cheaper off peak) we pay £115 for me and the wife and daughter.

Place is a bit of a dump now though.

patch1875
04-09-2015, 05:45 PM
I went for a tour round David Lloyd Newhaven a few weeks ago and for a single full membership it costs £91 a month.

Holy moly! We're moving to Murrayfield early next year and was going to look at the DL at Corstorphine.

liamh2202
04-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Holy moly! We're moving to Murrayfield early next year and was going to look at the DL at Corstorphine.

Facilities at brilliant at DL on Glasgow road but you get what you pay for . virgin at fountain park is also handy and used to be a bit cheaper but still with excellent facilities

lord bunberry
04-09-2015, 08:04 PM
I use the gym at jewel and esk college on Milton road. It's got a gym, swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and I only pay £33 a month for off peak and weekends.

#FromTheCapital
05-09-2015, 07:16 AM
Energie gym at Edinburgh park. Has a decent gym and swimming pool which is not usually too busy. Most of the clientele work in the business park surrounding the gym so it's busier in the morning and between 5 - 6.30 pm mon-fri. If you go outside these times you'll practically get the place to yourself. I currently pay £25 per month for gym only. They have a referral scheme so for every person you refer you'll get £5 a month discount for as long as that person is a member. You could technically refer 6 people and get a free membership.

Zazu62
05-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Urban village Crewe toll roundabout. Cool as

Matty_Jack04
06-09-2015, 06:09 AM

Nuffield health beside asda Chesser previously greens is around £40 per month they seem to be having open weekends quite a lot as well.

green&left
06-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. DL is out my pricerange but forgot about Urban Village at Crewe toll. Will check them out.

The_Horde
06-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Nuffield health beside asda Chesser previously greens is around £40 per month they seem to be having open weekends quite a lot as well.

As a former member I'd recommend this place.

Good facilities, easy to access and cheap for what you get.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. DL is out my pricerange but forgot about Urban Village at Crewe toll. Will check them out.

Have a look at Virgin Active aswell mate. Some tidy birds in there 😝

bobbyhibs1983
08-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Felt that was okay , but i was there for maybe 3 years and not once did i use the pool!!

I have used pure gym (the one at chesser) and liked that though i felt there were like groups of people and little *gangs* of people which i didn't like too much

I current use xercise4less though it does NOT have a pool and judging by the O.P the other side of town its a tenner a month.

speedy_gonzales
08-09-2015, 05:41 PM
I current use xercise4less though it does NOT have a pool and judging by the O.P the other side of town its a tenner a month.
What do you think of xercise4less? I almost joined when they were opening but wasn't keen on the idea of the ladies only section. At peak times equipment can be busy in any gym, the last thing we needed (I thought) was 10-20% of the kit out of bounds for 50% of the members. I cheekily asked for a pro-rata discount, it all went downhill from there.
I know there are female only gyms such as Curves, but I've never came across women only sections in other mainstream gyms,,,is there really a need for such a thing, and is it legal? My wife thinks it's ridiculous but then she might be in the minority.

bobbyhibs1983
08-09-2015, 08:39 PM
What do you think of xercise4less? I almost joined when they were opening but wasn't keen on the idea of the ladies only section. At peak times equipment can be busy in any gym, the last thing we needed (I thought) was 10-20% of the kit out of bounds for 50% of the members. I cheekily asked for a pro-rata discount, it all went downhill from there.
I know there are female only gyms such as Curves, but I've never came across women only sections in other mainstream gyms,,,is there really a need for such a thing, and is it legal? My wife thinks it's ridiculous but then she might be in the minority.

hi
i find it okay, living 5 mins down the road from it, it is easy to get to for me.
the ladies only thing is annoying and I did say to them if thats the case they should have a mens only area to(said it to them in a survey,.got no response of course)
Im unsure if it is legal or anything but when i was getting shown round it, i did ask the person why it was the case , it was cos some ladies feel *insercure* (or some nonsnse) and another thing was the *minority* ladies, something there about not allowed to be mixing with men(something alone those lines)

I find the gym otherise okay, i ve never had to wait on a peice of equitment, tohugh to be fair i tend to go in the mornings,early afternoons, so i have no idea about the peak time and how busy it would be.
its a £10 a month,think its a years contract it has a boxing ring and 4 punching bags, which i liked, it also has these stairs machines, you know the kind you go on and its like walking up stairs.
hope this helps a bit