PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Milne

Peevemor
04-09-2015, 11:15 AM
A real shame

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/hospitalised-dundee-united-legend-ralph-milne-critical-1-3877833

Biggie
04-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Tragic eh ?....he was rapid and I remember his performances for a great Dundee united side.....pretty sure he scored the chipped goal that clinched the league......

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2015, 11:47 AM
A real shame

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/hospitalised-dundee-united-legend-ralph-milne-critical-1-3877833

Hope he pulls through ... a real football legend and if that was him not applying himself properly as Jim McLean said then the mind boggles as to what sort of career he might have had.

Alcoholism is a terrible thing .... his partner sounds like a bloody saint, no matter the reason I would always support a stance of, if he raises his hands .. 'leave'

DaveF
04-09-2015, 12:54 PM
He was a terrific player in a very, very good united team and its a real shame to see how things have panned out.

son of haggart
04-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Tragic eh ?....he was rapid and I remember his performances for a great Dundee united side.....pretty sure he scored the chipped goal that clinched the league......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6154ICVAWSU&feature=youtu.be

I also remember him absolutely taking apart the german international left back in one of the European games - to the extent the guy was substituted before half time. I spent three years working in Dundee at the timethey won the league and I watched many games live -= Milne had one truly sublime season when I thought he was one of the best players on the planet, never mind in Scotland. His off the field behavious was legendary even then (there was a story doing the rounds that he had stolen a girls handbag at a night club in Broughty Ferry and Mclean had to bail him out, for example).

Such a waste of talent

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2015, 01:32 PM
By all accounts he was excellent for Dundee United; an integral part of their superb team of the 1980s. He became a laughing stock amongst Man United fans, sadly, who sang an ironic song in his 'honour' which compared his talent to George Best's. It's even more ironic, therefore, that drink has destroyed him. Fingers crossed he can somehow get through this.

theonlywayisup
04-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I recall speaking to a Man Utd fan circa 1992, who said he felt sorry for Milne when he played for Man Utd. He was not a popular player with United fans and is regularly mentioned when the club's worst-ever players are being debated. As others have said, he was a very good / effective player for Dundee Utd.

heretoday
04-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Another victory for Scotland's curse.

crewetollhibee
04-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Scotland was blessed with a decent sprinkling of top class forwards back in the 80's, but I always felt that room should have been made for Ralph Milne and Eric Black. Those 2 always seemed to me to be short changed when it came to international selection.

son of haggart
04-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I recall speaking to a Man Utd fan circa 1992, who said he felt sorry for Milne when he played for Man Utd. He was not a popular player with United fans and is regularly mentioned when the club's worst-ever players are being debated. As others have said, he was a very good / effective player for Dundee Utd.

It was a big surprise when Fergie went for him as his form had already dipped - I think Fergie was buying the player he remembered rather than the current one - a fault which many fans even today slip into ("I'd have xxx back in a flash....")

Del Boy
04-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Was a brilliant footballer, incredible that he never won a single Scotland cap. His goal on the final day when United won at Dens Park to win the league is absolute class.

Peevemor
04-09-2015, 03:34 PM
It was a big surprise when Fergie went for him as his form had already dipped - I think Fergie was buying the player he remembered rather than the current one - a fault which many fans even today slip into ("I'd have xxx back in a flash....")

I remember a TV pundit at the time (Ron Atkinson maybe?) speaking about the signing saying "well if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

I was at a match at Tannadice and Utd had a corner at the Dens/away end. I was standing at the funny diagonal corner wall thing and shouted at Milne who was about to take the corner something like "even you cannae pass it back to Hamish from there" (something for which Utd. were infamous, together with a really high and tight offside trap). He winked at me and laughed which I thought was pretty sound.

Mibbes Aye
04-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Scotland was blessed with a decent sprinkling of top class forwards back in the 80's, but I always felt that room should have been made for Ralph Milne and Eric Black. Those 2 always seemed to me to be short changed when it came to international selection.

There was a thread on here recently about Paul Hegarty and I think there's comparisons. Hegarty didn't win caps because of the sheer quality in front of him. I think it was similar for Milne and I think Dundee United maybe paid a price for being the new kids, compared to the established sides that other Scotland forwards played for.

You can't really count Dalglish as competition, he was way beyond all the rest, but then Milne would have been competing with players like Brazil and Archibald who were winning titles or European trophies, plus Jordan who had bags of experience and similarly had won the title in England and played in European finals. You had Sturrock as well, who was a fantastic talent, probably under-appreciated, and even the likes of John Robertson (Notts Forest JR for younger viewers :wink:), somewhere between a winger and a forward but again an exceptional talent - could you imagine a Scottish attacking player now who scored the winner in a Champions' League final and provided the assist for the winner in another CL final?

From that era, I thought John Hewitt was unlucky never to have been capped. He was a good player with a knack of showing up in big games. I think Peter Weir got a handful of caps and while he was decent, I thought Hewitt maybe equally deserved a shot.

Purple & Green
04-09-2015, 08:59 PM

These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do, but sign me for united Alex, and I'll run all day for you as the Bristol City? Fans used to sing, or was it charlton?

Lago
04-09-2015, 09:03 PM
He did I was there took my then 8 year old son, absolutely packed out could hardly see the pitch.

Sergey
04-09-2015, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6154ICVAWSU&feature=youtu.be

I also remember him absolutely taking apart the german international left back in one of the European games - to the extent the guy was substituted before half time. I spent three years working in Dundee at the timethey won the league and I watched many games live -= Milne had one truly sublime season when I thought he was one of the best players on the planet, never mind in Scotland. His off the field behavious was legendary even then (there was a story doing the rounds that he had stolen a girls handbag at a night club in Broughty Ferry and Mclean had to bail him out, for example).

Such a waste of talent

Thanks for posting the link - I was stood right underneath the camera tower that day and I remember that goal as if it happened last month.

A day I'll never forget.

son of haggart
05-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks for posting the link - I was stood right underneath the camera tower that day and I remember that goal as if it happened last month.

A day I'll never forget.

I can't have been far away from you, which is a strange thought