PDA

View Full Version : Walking Football

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2015, 11:48 PM
A couple of months ago my neighbour stuck his head over the hedge and asked me if I wanted to come along to a walking football session organised by Scottish Borders Council. I haven't played fiba for 15 years and I have to say I was a wee bit reticent about it ... A ) Because I'm only 55 and I thought everybody would be 60 odd and I would feel like an extra in the walking dead, and ... B ) Coz I was afraid of looking like a fanny.

After 5 or 6 games all I can say is, its nothing like that ....... Its great fun and I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody who is thinking of giving it a go. The Fairydean are now involved and there is even talk of a possible Borders league, if enough teams can be raised .... some of us are going to the Fairydean game this Saturday as guests of the club to discuss all this further .... apparently the SFA are quite keen to push this and may even give some financial assistance.

I may indeed look like a fanny, chasing about a sports hall along with a load of other too auld, too unfit or too injured guys for whom the running game isn't an option any more, but all I can say is .... 'I'm having so much fun I don't care' .... if you are thinking of giving this a go do it :aok:

offshorehibby
04-09-2015, 06:18 AM
The Healthy Hibee's and football Fans in Training groups are regularly involved in walking football games and tournaments. There's bound to be somebody on here more involved with it.

O'Rourke3
04-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Having killed all hope of playing again due do a dodgy knee I'm looking for a game but the nearest seems to be Bathgate

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2015, 10:06 AM
A couple of months ago my neighbour stuck his head over the hedge and asked me if I wanted to come along to a walking football session organised by Scottish Borders Council. I haven't played fiba for 15 years and I have to say I was a wee bit reticent about it ... A ) Because I'm only 55 and I thought everybody would be 60 odd and I would feel like an extra in the walking dead, and ... B ) Coz I was afraid of looking like a fanny.

After 5 or 6 games all I can say is, its nothing like that ....... Its great fun and I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody who is thinking of giving it a go. The Fairydean are now involved and there is even talk of a possible Borders league, if enough teams can be raised .... some of us are going to the Fairydean game this Saturday as guests of the club to discuss all this further .... apparently the SFA are quite keen to push this and may even give some financial assistance.

I may indeed look like a fanny, chasing about a sports hall along with a load of other too auld, too unfit or too injured guys for whom the running game isn't an option any more, but all I can say is .... 'I'm having so much fun I don't care' .... if you are thinking of giving this a go do it :aok:

Can sympathize.:greengrin There is one in Stenhousemuir, just up the road, but I have had the same feelings as you. Maybe give it a go when I come back my holibobs!

SquashedFrogg
04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Having killed all hope of playing again due do a dodgy knee I'm looking for a game but the nearest seems to be Bathgate

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Not sure where you stay O'Rourke3 but the old man plays in Broxburn on a Tuesday morning. Has done for a couple of years and loves it. He's a yam so can't run away if you try putting him in the stand :greengrin

Great fun apparently though.

Craig_HFC
04-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Some on this board would have you believe that Dom Malonga is very fond of this particular sport.

:greengrin

MurrayfieldHibs
04-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Some on this board would have you believe that Dom Malonga is very fond of this particular sport.

:greengrin

:thumbsup:

O'Rourke3
04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Not sure where you stay O'Rourke3 but the old man plays in Broxburn on a Tuesday morning. Has done for a couple of years and loves it. He's a yam so can't run away if you try putting him in the stand :greengrin

Great fun apparently though.
Thanks - in Murieston. Bxbn would do. Kicking Jambostoo - result!

Sent via the bushes @ EM

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Can sympathize.:greengrin There is one in Stenhousemuir, just up the road, but I have had the same feelings as you. Maybe give it a go when I come back my holibobs!

Most of the lads at our one are in their mid to late 50s apart from one lad who has got to be in his late 60s .. you can tell he was a player in his day though, still a match going Raith Rovers fan too ..... we even have an ICT fan :greengrin

Mcpakeisgod
04-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I think it's brilliant, anyone hesitant should just go for it, keeps you active, meet new people and no doubt will be competitive!

Stantons Angel
04-09-2015, 11:02 AM
hibs run walking football classes through the Community Foundation in many areas. Phone them and ask for Stewart, he will keep you right!

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I think it's brilliant, anyone hesitant should just go for it, keeps you active, meet new people and no doubt will be competitive!

Already taken and handed oot a couple :greengrin

areid07
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
hibs run walking football classes through the Community Foundation in many areas. Phone them and ask for Stewart, he will keep you right!

Age Scotland is celebrating the success of Scotland’s first Walking Football Festival.

The festival was delivered in partnership with the Scottish Professional Football League Trust, Paths for All, SAMH and Spartans Football Academy.

15 teams from all across Scotland came to take part with the winners Hibernian FFIT taking the Yvonne Coull Memorial shield after a thrilling final against Glasgow Life FC.

Brian Sloan, Age Scotland Chief Executive commented, “The Walking Football Festival has been a fantastic success and it’s great that so many people have come to take part from right across Scotland. Walking Football is a brilliant way to keep active in later life and we’re delighted by how the sport has taken off”.

As part of the day each player wore a pedometer and managed to walk a total of 838,000 steps equal to approximately 400 miles.

twiceinathens
04-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Been playing at for the last two years at Broxburn on a Tuesday morning. Friendly but competitive!

Hibstrooper
04-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't quite get how it works?

How do you overcome the instinct to run or burst forward when for example you are trying to close down a shot?

What about if you are racing an opposition player to get e ball, is it just about who walks the quickest?

bigwheel
04-09-2015, 04:28 PM

How do you overcome the instinct to run or burst forward when for example you are trying to close down a shot?

What about if you are racing an opposition player to get e ball, is it just about who walks the quickest?

mainly because you're old, your knees are knackered and your ankles like jelly! :greengrin

andyf5
04-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Nothing on their website. http://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/football-for-all/ I'm interested

linlithgowhibbie
04-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Linlithgow Rose Community Football Club are organising team(s) too for anyone in the posh bit of West Lothian.

Sorry but I don't have the contact number just now,

Brian

Sir David Gray
04-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Is that not defeating the purpose? :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Age Scotland is celebrating the success of Scotland’s first Walking Football Festival.

The festival was delivered in partnership with the Scottish Professional Football League Trust, Paths for All, SAMH and Spartans Football Academy.

15 teams from all across Scotland came to take part with the winners Hibernian FFIT taking the Yvonne Coull Memorial shield after a thrilling final against Glasgow Life FC.

Brian Sloan, Age Scotland Chief Executive commented, “The Walking Football Festival has been a fantastic success and it’s great that so many people have come to take part from right across Scotland. Walking Football is a brilliant way to keep active in later life and we’re delighted by how the sport has taken off”.

As part of the day each player wore a pedometer and managed to walk a total of 838,000 steps equal to approximately 400 miles.

FFS .... I'm only 55 :confused:

I saw the famous Barclays Bank advert again the other day, which to an extent was responsible for the rise in popularity of walking football. The only thing I would say is that its a wee bit misleading as to the demographic of the folk taking this up. In the ad most of the players look in their mid to late 60s and to be honest a wee bit frail. Most of the guys who play with my lot are in the mid 50s to early 60s age group and take my word for it, there's nothing frail about them.

Don't get me wrong ... this is a game for everybody and anybody who can still control a ball, pass and shoot. But anybody taking it up who thinks its just a wee gentle stroll in the park is probably in for a bit of a shock.

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Folk do run, that's why its a free kick when they do. Its all about positioning in walking fitba, the guy closest to the ball tends to end up with possession. Having said that, the number of times I've laid into a team mate for failing to go on an overlapping walk :greengrin

Passing accuracy and ball control are vital, probably even more than in the traditional game.

Gmack7
05-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Scotland played there own version of this last night