PDA

View Full Version : Question Is Anyone Interested in Making/Funding a 'Refugees Welcome' Banner?

FranckSuzy
03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
There can't be many people who have not been moved by the recent scenes from Syria, Hungary, Calais and many other areas, sadly.

Therefore, some posters on .net would like to join our German counterparts by making a 'Refugees Welcome' (or similar) banner to be displayed at ER a week on Saturday at the Alloa game. *Please note: this is the idea of a group of fans and does not claim to represent the whole support.

IF you would like to be involved by either donating and/or helping to produce the said banner, please advise either on this thread or by PMing Pretty Boy. We will also be looking for volunteers to help make the banner and/or provide space to do so but any other ideas are welcome. Oh, and we also aim to keep costs to a minimum and any excess money raised will be donated to an agreed charity.

If you can't commit financially or with your time outwith match days, volunteers will also be required to help display the banner on the day, so you can still show your support.

For donations, please use the PayPal a/c leithlinks@live.co.uk and clearly state 'banner' or the like :aok:

Please respect that this thread is for those interested in helping. Therefore, could I respectfully request that any other comments/opinions are kept for the existing thread on the Holy Ground forum?

Thanks in advance

FS

Northernhibee
03-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Just a suggestion but there are fundraising pages on social media for raising money for caravans and living essentials to ensure that those fleeing Syria have somewhere safe and relatively warm and comfortable to sleep in places like Calais.

I totally understand that the idea of the banner is entirely in the best nature and it's a lovely gesture but might it be better to concentrate entirely on action and assist in these efforts than spend some a percentage of the money on a gesture?

:aok::top marksentirely for the sentiment behind this all though.

FranckSuzy
03-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Just a suggestion but there are fundraising pages on social media for raising money for caravans and living essentials to ensure that those fleeing Syria have somewhere safe and relatively warm and comfortable to sleep in places like Calais.

I totally understand that the idea of the banner is entirely in the best nature and it's a lovely gesture but might it be better to concentrate entirely on action and assist in these efforts than spend some a percentage of the money on a gesture?

:aok::top marksentirely for the sentiment behind this all though.

I understand what you are saying but people can already do that of their accord, if they so wish. This is about a section of our support coming together to show solidarity with these desperate souls.

If there is money left over, as previously stated, it will be distributed to a relevant charity :aok:

Vini1875
03-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Yes, happy to donate.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't want refugees coming here. ....i wish them well though

TheReg!
03-09-2015, 10:01 PM
No! But good luck.

FranckSuzy
03-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Please respect that this thread is for those interested in helping. Therefore, could I respectfully request that any other comments/opinions are kept for the existing thread on the Holy Ground forum?

I don't want refugees coming here. ....i wish them well though

No! But good luck.

Please see above, in bold.....

Anyway, £50 already received :aok:

Johnny Clash
03-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I'd be happy to help. After all, our club was set up by Irish people who were fleeing poverty and starvation.

Got a mate who makes banners - he'd help in any way he could too. Great effort in true Hibernian tradition !

FranckSuzy
03-09-2015, 10:17 PM
I'd be happy to help. After all, our club was set up by Irish people who were fleeing poverty and starvation.

Got a mate who makes banners - he'd help in any way he could too. Great effort in true Hibernian tradition !

:agree:

Good man and can you give your mate a shout? :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
03-09-2015, 10:36 PM
£100 now received :not worth

RMQ1967
03-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Well done to you all for arranging this :not worth

A small token of support for people who are going though unbelievable hardship but hopefully it sends a message to those in power that can make a real difference to the suffering that these families are going through.

My money has been sent - sorry I can't do more.

AgentDaleCooper
03-09-2015, 10:58 PM
great idea, especially since, as has been pointed out, our club was started by people fleeing awful hardships in ireland :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
03-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Too skint to sent cash unfortunately, but I fully support this

O'Rourke3
03-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Small donation sent ..... Excellent idea. Thanks you.

The Baldmans Comb
03-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Another donation sent. Well done for organising this.

Very happy to support any cause that shows compassion and empathy with families in distress and suffering.

superbam
04-09-2015, 04:12 AM
Done!

Danny_Hibee
04-09-2015, 05:31 AM

It might be worth posting once the cost of the banner has been fully covered, that way all of the folk who think the money can be better spent elsewhere can also donate to the cause as well. Safe in the knowledge that their money hasn't been 'wasted' raising awareness and showing some support.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 05:42 AM
It might be worth posting once the cost of the banner has been fully covered, that way all of the folk who think the money can be better spent elsewhere can also donate to the cause as well. Safe in the knowledge that their money hasn't been 'wasted' raising awareness and showing some support.

:aok:

That's not a bad idea at all.

I'll be having a look into costs over the weekend so will definitely post something up after I have the info.

Congruence
04-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Donation to follow.

:top marks

HiBremian
04-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Donation coming once I'm on the desktop! Think the banner should just say "Refugees Welcome". That's the international football fans' choice ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since1875Hibs
04-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Rather than spending £100s on a banner, why not tap into the those in the support thay could knock this up for pennies and donate the rest...?

ronaldo7
04-09-2015, 06:26 AM
Donation sent. I will also help raise the banner if needed.:aok:

As I suggested on the Holy ground thread, any cash left over (if any) would find a lovely home at the Multi Cultural Family Base in Leith.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Rather than spending £100s on a banner, why not tap into the those in the support thay could knock this up for pennies and donate the rest...?

No one is going to be spending hundreds on a banner.

This is going to be a home made affair compromising a sheet of some kind and some paint. I've already contacted a few people who have a bit experience doing this kind of thing.

I would say that if we have already raised over £100 then the cost of the banner is well covered although I don't want that taken as gospel.

What would be helpful is if anyone could point us in the direction of a space where a few of us could get together and actually do the handiwork, unfortunately my living room is probably a bit small:greengrin

lyonhibs
04-09-2015, 06:58 AM

This is going to be a home made affair compromising a sheet of some kind and some paint. I've already contacted a few people who have a bit experience doing this kind of thing.

I would say that if we have already raised over £100 then the cost of the banner is well covered although I don't want that taken as gospel.

What would be helpful is if anyone could point us in the direction of a space where a few of us could get together and actually do the handiwork, unfortunately my living room is probably a bit small:greengrin

On the flipside, I'm sure we've all seen banners made in a similar fashion in football crowds before that have been, well, terrible. I'm absolutely certain that the .net art attack squad will make something we can all be proud of, but given as such a banner will - hopefully - get a bit of press coverage, it's important to make sure it looks as good as possible, even if that means calling in the professionals for some aspect(s) of it.

As soon as I've got my PayPal account sorted, I'll donate.

Juice-Terry
04-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Well done for doing this. Need more donations?

Alex Trager
04-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Superb effort. I support this. Would be happy to help display it

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 07:13 AM
On the flipside, I'm sure we've all seen banners made in a similar fashion in football crowds before that have been, well, terrible. I'm absolutely certain that the .net art attack squad will make something we can all be proud of, but given as such a banner will - hopefully - get a bit of press coverage, it's important to make sure it looks as good as possible, even if that means calling in the professionals for some aspect(s) of it.

As soon as I've got my PayPal account sorted, I'll donate.

Indeed and there will be a level of professional help. I've already received an offer of such this morning which is appreciated.

I was just trying to be clear that we won't be spending hundreds getting this made by an 'outside' professional sign making company or whatever. We'll be drawing on the fantastic pool of resources that is hibs.net and the wider Hibs support.

marinello59
04-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Done.

O'Rourke3
04-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Remember and spell check and no Grocer apostrophe :na na:.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Nameless
04-09-2015, 07:25 AM
I'm appalled by what is happening. I've already given as much as I can to other charities, but I support this. We are watching people starve and drown and suffocate, all in glorious Hi Definition Technicolor. Edinburgh has space for an extra 500,000 people during the festival, FFS these people need to be let in!!

erin-go-bragh87
04-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Always has to be one person to lower it eh?

Not lowering anything. Had a perfectly good post deleted, probably because I was spot on.

marinello59
04-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Not lowering anything. Had a perfectly good post deleted, probably because I was spot on.

There's a thread on the Holy Ground where you can debate the issues. The OP has asked that this one be kept clear for those who wish to donate. Please respect that.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Back on track, £360 has now been raised :not worth

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Can I just say that money that has already come in from the Hibs support has been unbelievable considering this has been running for less than 12 hours. At times the support never ceases to amaze me, in a positive way.

A fraction of that will be used to make a banner to show a bit solidarity and support, the rest will go to charity to help provide the items you feel so passionately about.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. If people don't agree with what others are trying to do then that's fine, I respect that and understand we all have hugely differing views on a range of topics but I don't understand the need to belittle or try to drag down what others are doing with some pretty poor remarks aimed at FS.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 08:39 AM
£370 now :thumbsup: Just waiting to hear the cost of the banner then we'll be able to advise how much will be donated to charity.

marinello59
04-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Please don't take offence if posts which belong on the thread debating this issue on the Hy Ground are deleted from this one. It's not asking much to keep this one clear for the specific intended purpose.
Thanks all.

QMU-1875
04-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Would be great if this donation link was kept open so that not only can we have a banner for games but also that we can make a donation to charity as hibs fans, get paid on Tuesday so will make a donation then!

marinello59
04-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Would be great if this donation link was kept open so that not only can we have a banner for games but also that we can make a donation to charity as hibs fans, get paid on Tuesday so will make a donation then!
It's so pleasing to read posts like this.
Ronaldo7 has already made an excellent suggestion at to where any excess money could be donated. Personally I love to see some given to those helping families caught up at the borders but happy to see it go to any related charity.

Carheenlea
04-09-2015, 09:00 AM
What would the chances be of having the banner displayed in the upper South alongside the flags that are there at present?

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
What would the chances be of having the banner displayed in the upper South alongside the flags that are there at present?

Great idea :aok: Would make more of an impact, IMHO.

Hibrandenburg
04-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Great action guys and as always Suzy in the middle. I've sent a wee donation from my mobile but couldn't add "banner". No problem coz I know you guys are on the ball. Keep up the excellent work :greengrin

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Thank you to everyone who has either donated or offered to help :aok:

Just one thing, please can you put 'banner' or the likes in the comments field (or PM me saying you've sent a donation) as there's been a few where there's no narrative and I don't know which one of my projects they're for :wink:

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Great action guys and as always Suzy in the middle. I've sent a wee donation from my mobile but couldn't add "banner". No problem coz I know you guys are on the ball. Keep up the excellent work :greengrin

Yip x 2 :greengrin

Received and please ignore the email :wink:

£400 now raised :not worth

green&left
04-09-2015, 09:26 AM
I'll donate a few quid when I'm in however a printer banner will cost a fair few quid.

Get the Since1875/Sect43 chaps on board to see if they can make one for a fraction of the cost. Will then mean more cash for the actual people affacted... :aok:

CRAZYHIBBY
04-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Just curious buy why is this thread not on the holy ground? ....its hardly football related

marinello59
04-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Just curious buy why is this thread not on the holy ground? ....its hardly football related

Football fans raising funds for a banner to be flown at a football ground. It won't be here indefinitely.
OK? :greengrin

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
I'll donate a few quid when I'm in however a printer banner will cost a fair few quid.

Get the Since1875/Sect43 chaps on board to see if they can make one for a fraction of the cost. Will then mean more cash for the actual people affacted... :aok:

Thank you and they already are :thumbsup:The main thing is the excess funds going to the relevant place :aok:

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
£500 now raised :aok:

HiBremian
04-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Wee donation just sent. As always, great work S :not worth

Memo to Hibs TV - gie us a nice big close-up before the game :greengrin

God Petrie
04-09-2015, 10:06 AM
how about an alternative more specific message along the lines of "Hibernian - founded by refugees, welcoming refugees"

Glorious St Pat
04-09-2015, 10:15 AM
how about an alternative more specific message along the lines of "Hibernian - founded by refugees, welcoming refugees"

Spot on....agree with this.

Tha Cabbage Kid
04-09-2015, 10:22 AM
what will the banner have on it? just text or some graphics on it??

superbam
04-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Excellent

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Personally I'd rather follow the template being used across Europe and keep it simple but I'm open to change if there is a greater wish for that.

I'm currently talking to the Scotland Supporting Refugees group that is growing at a rate of noughts on Facebook with regards to them giving us a wee push and hopefully a bit publicity. That may be a chance to mention our own history.

hibs4life
04-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Liking the sound of that. Maybe as the sub text to the main "Hibs Fans welcome Refugees', or similar, message?

Donation made...

ronaldo7
04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
I think the banner should only read "Refugees Welcome", on it. The press/media will surely capture the fans who are showing the banner.

I think we should spend as little as possible on the banner and as such we should get a couple of rolls of Lining paper, and put our message on it, (it can be any length), and we could do a banner in amongst the section 43 guys/girls, and put one up on the South too.

The message "Refugees Welcome", is short, succinct, and to the point.

To all the Hibernian fans donating or helping in this cause :not worth

oconnors_strip
04-09-2015, 11:30 AM
About space where to make it, hibs have previously allowed fans in the east concourse to do this. What about contacting the club? Or does someone work in a warehouse that could be used after work?

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 11:33 AM
About space where to make it, hibs have previously allowed fans in the east concourse to do this. What about contacting the club? Or does someone work in a warehouse that could be used after work?

I've contacted the club to clear this with them N and once that's sorted I'll push it a wee bit further re getting access to the concourse if needed and also a location/area for displaying.:aok:

GreenLake
04-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Nice idea and I hope some photographs can be posted in this thread of the banner held on match day.

bigwheel
04-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Like this option

Mr White
04-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Donation made. Good work once again guys :aok:

Northern Hibby
04-09-2015, 12:53 PM

That'd be a nice touch kinda poetic full circle.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 02:07 PM
That's another £110 received :aok:

At my other work just now (:greengrin) but will confirm receipt to everyone when I get in.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Just a thought but what about 'Refugees Welcome Since 1875' on the banner?

bigwheel
04-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Perfect !

God Petrie
04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Excellent

Craig_HFC
04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I think sticking to the same message as shown across Europe would be best; I think it would show a 'togetherness' as everyone would be saying EXACTLY the same thing, if that makes sense?

I don't think this banner should be tailored to relate to Hibs or the formation of our club at all, purely because the situation that the banner will relate is nothing to do with Hibs or indeed football.

rcarter1
04-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I think sticking to the same message as shown across Europe would be best; I think it would show a 'togetherness' as everyone would be saying EXACTLY the same thing, if that makes sense?

I don't think this banner should be tailored to relate to Hibs or the formation of our club at all, purely because the situation that the banner will relate is nothing to do with Hibs or indeed football.

I tend to agree. I personally wouldn't be bothered too much if came out with something to do with Hibs, but it wasn't the purpose of the banner. For many who have donated, they might feel a little uncomfortable if the message strays from what they thought they were donating towards. The 'togetherness' angle is really a good point as well, and if we want this actually to send a message to the politicians, then the simpler the message the better. IMO.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 02:27 PM

hibs4life
04-09-2015, 02:39 PM

Well, I respect your opinion but I'm coming at this from a slightly different angle.

I've donated to charities that are assisting with this humanitarian crisis in the widest sense. My donation to this particular fund was purely because it was to do with Hibs and the likelihood that most funds collected will still end up going to a charity that will be assisting with the crisis.

And you're right, the situation does not relate directly to Hibs but I think the proposal by the OP is rooted in the Hibs Support and a collective voice of at least some, if not all, Hibs fans demonstrating their support for refugees.

I think we can and should put a Hibs slant on it, yet still associate ourselves with the broader messages of support from elsewhere, particularly from football fans across Europe.

bigwheel
04-09-2015, 02:44 PM
There will always be differing views - I happen to like the Hibs connection in the message - it means something to me - that said , it's not possible to create consensus on an Internet forum - the organisers should make their own judgement from reflecting on this thread - and make something they are proud is in the spirit of the OP ...

Great initiative !

marinello59
04-09-2015, 02:51 PM

HiBremian
04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Compromise? :cb

lyonhibs
04-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Yep. In the same way this isn't about politics, neither is it specifically about Hibs.

Without wishing to sound to teary eyed, it's about the capacity to show human empathy, something that is common to (almost) everyone.

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2015, 05:33 PM
It smacks of the "Celtc's feeder club since 1888" banner ..so make sure you get the bloody spelling right :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

JoeT_WasTheBest
04-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Donation sent. Fantastic as always guys.

MKHIBEE
04-09-2015, 06:02 PM

I have just made a donation but did not specify it was for the banner, hopefully you will be to able identify it.

Since1875Hibs
04-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Hibs will let you do this in the East concourse. Plenty folk happy to help just say the word.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 06:40 PM
That's another £45 received, taking us up to £655 :aok:

matty_f
04-09-2015, 06:52 PM

Kinda leaves us wide open to criticism of being hypocritical given the Rudi Skacel song, no? Then again, so does 'Refugees Welcome', so maybe it's a good opportunity to show that we are better than that song.

Benny Brazil
04-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Donation sent - got to say I do like the banner with the Refugees Welcome and then since 1875 below it:aok:

KWJ
04-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Kinda leaves us wide open to criticism of being hypocritical given the Rudi Skacel song, no? Then again, so does 'Refugees Welcome', so maybe it's a good opportunity to show that we are better than that song.

Couldn't help but think this too. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it though, show we're better than that.

bigwheel
04-09-2015, 07:51 PM

that's actually a reason to do it...remind everyone why that song should never be sung again...

Tinribs
04-09-2015, 08:32 PM
that's actually a reason to do it...remind everyone why that song should never be sung again...

It should never have been sung in the first place. But that being said, refugees yes..dodgy people from ISIS etc no. No open door policy, but all who are in genuine need should be welcomed with open arms..i fully support the banner, and think we may even be able to get the media to pay attention.

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Refugees yes, dodgy people from IS no etc etc ?

We're gonna need a bigger banner. :)

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 10:03 PM
£700 now raised and email confirmation sent to everyone who has donated :aok:

frazeHFC
04-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Not for me but good luck.

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 10:21 PM
£775 now.

Vini1875
04-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Like the Reugees Welcome since 1875 :aok:

FranckSuzy
04-09-2015, 10:32 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/english-football-supporters-groups-refugees-welcome-banners

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
£835 now raised :not worth

harpo
05-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Great stuff fellow Hibees! This truly does make me proud to be a Hibee.

Well done to Prettyboy and Franksuzy for organising this.

Franksuzy I sent a donation from my phone but there was nowhere to say it was for the banner.

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Great stuff fellow Hibees! This truly does make me proud to be a Hibee.

Well done to Prettyboy and Franksuzy for organising this.

Franksuzy I sent a donation from my phone but there was nowhere to say it was for the banner.

PM sent :aok:

£845 now raised.

Tinribs
05-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Refugees yes, dodgy people from IS no etc etc ?

We're gonna need a bigger banner. :)

It does sound a bit like father Ted's "down with this sort of thing" now you come to mention it :)

The Pointer
05-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Please don't put 'Hibs' or 'Hibernian' on your banner. It's your personal opinion on the migrant situation.

Andy74
05-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Come on now. That song was never actually about refugees.

Malthibby
05-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Please don't put 'Hibs' or 'Hibernian' on your banner. It's your personal opinion on the migrant situation.

I hope it's going to have 'Hibs.net' on it, it's a lot of folks personal opinion.
Heading for Paypal now.
Well done guys
GG

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 03:31 PM
I hope it's going to have 'Hibs.net' on it, it's a lot of folks personal opinion.
Heading for Paypal now.
Well done guys
GG

Received, many thanks :aok:

£855 now raised.

whiskyhibby
05-09-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't want to,sound like a spoiler , but how much of the £855 is being donated to charities supporting the refugees ( and before you point it out, no I haven't donated)

Beefster
05-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Come on now. That song was never actually about refugees.

Maybe not but it used the word 'refugee' in a pejorative manner.

Pretty Boy
05-09-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't want to,sound like a spoiler , but how much of the £855 is being donated to charities supporting the refugees ( and before you point it out, no I haven't donated)

Truth is I don't have an answer for that yet.

However I will say it will be a sizeable percentage, and that's not a cop out as the actual total donated to charity will be 'announced' once we know.

CropleyWasGod
05-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Presumably, what's left after the banner has been paid for?

whiskyhibby
05-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Truth is I don't have an answer for that yet.

However I will say it will be a sizeable percentage, and that's not a cop out as the actual total donated to charity will be 'announced' once we know.

Fair enough, personally I think banners have their place when your celebrating Hibs history and past heroes but I have a uneasy feeling that perhaps that money could have saved an individual somehow, but I haven't contributed and I recognise that those who do, do so on a certain basis

whiskyhibby
05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Presumably, what's left after the banner has been paid for?

Would the refugees thank you for monetary support direct to them or a banner at a football match......interesting question

QMU-1875
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Think people who are saying the money could be used better are missing the point. The fact that there will be a banner advertising Hibernian fans view that they are welcome will get other hibs fans engaged in the debate and possibly donating to charity. Think this is a very positive move from us.

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Fair enough question :aok: We have the banner on order but the person responsible is at a music festival this weekend. We will, however, be advised the price on Monday and only if it is not extortionate, will we go ahead. The firm is a workers co-op so are doing it at 'cost' for us and also donating to the 'fund'.

Everyone involved is being cautious, due to the nature of the situation, so money will certainly not be frittered away. On the flip side, we want it to look professional (think Celtc :wink:) and it has to fire ******ant so hence it being professionally made :agree:

whiskyhibby
05-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Fair enough question :aok: We have the banner on order but the person responsible is at a music festival this weekend. We will, however, be advised the price on Monday and only if it is not extortionate, will we go ahead. The firm is a workers co-op so are doing it at cost for us and also donating to the 'fund'.

Everyone involved is being cautious, due to the nature of the situation, so money will certainly not be frittered away. On the flip side, we want it to look professional and it has to fire ******ant hence it being professionally made :agree:

Like I say, not a pop at fellow Hibbies who once again have shown a huge capacity for solidarity with those less fortunate than us, the last being the hugely supported food bank collections, but a flag leaves me with a slight uneasy feeling

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Would the refugees thank you for monetary support direct to them or a banner at a football match......interesting question

I would hazard a guess that if I had started the thread and posed the question "would anyone like to contribute to a fund for refugees?", the response would have been rather less 'enthusiastic'... Throw in involving the Hibs support and for some, our history, and suddenly we're £855 up.

Of course, not everyone agrees with it and that is fine, but I personally would rather be doing something about this appalling situation plus I can't help myself as you've probably already noted with other 'projects' on the go :wink:

Those who don't agree with the banner idea have always got the option of donating direct to a charity, specifically set-up to help the refugees, of course :aok:

whiskyhibby
05-09-2015, 05:22 PM
I would hazard a guess that if I had started the thread and posed the question "would anyone like to contribute to a fund for refugees?", the response would have been rather less 'enthusiastic'... Throw in involving the Hibs support and for some, our history, and suddenly we're £855 up.

Of course, not everyone agrees with it and that is fine, but I personally would rather be doing something about this appalling situation plus I can't help myself as you've probably already noted with other 'projects' on the go :wink:

Those who don't agree with the banner idea have always got the option of donating direct to a charity, specifically set-up to help the refugees, of course :aok:

No I agree and I can't argue with your motivation and use of the Hibs leverage, but the subtle difference with the other initiatives you support is that 100% of the coin raised goes directly to the people you are trying to target, although in the KfK case it's indirect, like I say it's just an observation and if the flag angle gets donations that would not otherwise have been realised then perhaps it's not such a bad thing, although IMHO having a flag is more about 'us' than them

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 05:33 PM
No I agree and I can't argue with your motivation and use of the Hibs leverage, but the subtle difference with the other initiatives you support is that 100% of the coin raised goes directly to the people you are trying to target, although in the KfK case it's indirect, like I say it's just an observation and if the flag angle gets donations that would not otherwise have been realised then perhaps it's not such a bad thing, although IMHO having a flag is more about 'us' than them

I know what you are saying but everyone who has donated did so in the knowledge that the money raised would firstly pay for a banner (not flag, signed Ms Pedant :greengrin) and then the balance would be donated to a relevant charity.

We could, of course, not bother with a banner and donate the whole lot to a charity but then the people who have donated would rightly be miffed that the money was not being used as stated.

The banner idea is to show solidarity and to ensure Hibs are recognised as being part of the growing movement in football, which is, of course, all about showing support for the refugees. Some English clubs have designated next Sat specifically for this 'cause' also so there is a ground swell out there and we are merely 'stepping up', so to speak, IMHO.

Hibrandenburg
05-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Showing solidarity breeds solidarity. The German banner action proves that in now we're doing the same. I think it's a great initiative and hope it snowballs.

rcarter1
05-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Showing solidarity breeds solidarity. The German banner action proves that in now we're doing the same. I think it's a great initiative and hope it snowballs.

Totally. These banners will be get air time, and together make a news story which can influence or at least be seen by millions. The KfK organisers have stated that they will keep costs down on the banner, and the remainder will go direct. Who can know how many people these banners will motivate?

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Totally. These banners will be get air time, and together make a news story which can influence or at least be seen by millions. The KfK organisers have stated that they will keep costs down on the banner, and the remainder will go direct. Who can know how many people these banners will motivate?

:agree: and by Tweeting about us Hibees efforts, THIS chap favourited it :thumbsup:

@DexBarton (https://twitter.com/DexBarton)
Executive Communications Manager for Facebook. Former speechwriter for Google and United Nations. I write on tech, international relations, the future.

C'mon the hashtags :not worth

Oh, and posters on the Bounce are on-side also. £30 received in minutes of the thread being posted :aok: Seemingly, I am reliably informed, a similar 11 page thread on Kickback resulted in a big "NO" to a banner/fund.....

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2015, 07:20 PM
:agree: and by Tweeting about us Hibees efforts, THIS chap favourited it :thumbsup:

@DexBarton (https://twitter.com/DexBarton)
Executive Communications Manager for Facebook. Former speechwriter for Google and United Nations. I write on tech, international relations, the future.

C'mon the hashtags :not worth

Oh, and posters on the Bounce are on-side also. £30 received in minutes of the thread being posted :aok: Seemingly, I am reliably informed, a similar 11 page thread on Kickback resulted in a big "NO" to a banner/fund.....

That a shame, though for some reason I'm unsurprised.

CapitalGreen
05-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Seemingly, I am reliably informed, a similar 11 page thread on Kickback resulted in a big "NO" to a banner/fund.....

That a shame, though for some reason I'm unsurprised.

Let's not use this as a means of point scoring.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Agreed.

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 07:40 PM

Merely an reflection on the very few objections we have had in comparison :aok:

Anyway, £885 now raised and I found this (https://storify.com/Refugees/good-samaritans) heart-warming article :not worth

Malthibby
05-09-2015, 07:48 PM

That's the crux of the matter.
Spreading the word & raising some money.
GG

FranckSuzy
05-09-2015, 08:35 PM
£895 :not worth

FranckSuzy
06-09-2015, 08:53 AM
£945 :aok:

FranckSuzy
06-09-2015, 08:41 PM
£955 :aok:

givescotlandfreedom
06-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Not like them not to try to trouser charity money :tin hat:
Anyways, donation on its way :hibees

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 08:46 AM
£970 :aok:

Wembley67
07-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Apologies if already mentioned but what's the clubs stance on having the banner displayed?

Since90+2
07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Apologies if already mentioned but what's the clubs stance on having the banner displayed?

Was just about to ask the same thing.

Betty Boop
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Good point. Does this mean that other political banners can be displayed now ?

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Permission has been sought from Hibs and we hope to receive a response soon :aok:

£980 now

Ringothedog
07-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Permission has been sought from Hibs and we hope to receive a response soon :aok:

£980 now

will be a bit of a bummer if they say no!!

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 12:35 PM
will be a bit of a bummer if they say no!!

Indeed :greengrin But over £1,000 (another £50 pledged but not received as yet) will still be donated to charity that we may not have raised otherwise :aok:

RMQ1967
07-09-2015, 12:43 PM

The club (and most decent thinking folk) won't class this as a political banner.

Ringothedog
07-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Indeed :greengrin But over £1,000 (another £50 pledged but not received as yet) will still be donated to charity that we may not have raised otherwise :aok:

All I can say is tremendous work from all concerned. The Hibernian Family never ceases to amaze me :applause:

bigwheel
07-09-2015, 12:48 PM

It's a humanitarian banner...nothing to do with politics..

Betty Boop
07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
The club (and most decent thinking folk) won't class this as a political banner.

It's a humanitarian banner...nothing to do with politics..

The refugee crisis is not a political issue ?

RMQ1967
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM

I'd suggest that we leave politics out of it :wink: and focus on what's intended to be a simple message of support for the plight of genuine refugees.

bigwheel
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM

You understand the spirit of the banner ....there are no politics at play in this act from a group of Hibs fans

oconnors_strip
07-09-2015, 01:38 PM
If the club say no then what about showing the banner outside the famous five or east stand?

givescotlandfreedom
07-09-2015, 01:54 PM

What's your goal here?

Andy74
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
You understand the spirit of the banner ....there are no politics at play in this act from a group of Hibs fans

Agree with the spirit of course but it would be hard to argue it isn't a political message.

I'd guess the intention of the solidarity is to show politicians that you believe that there should be more done to welcome and accept refugees in bigger numbers. I don't think it is just saying we will be nice to refugees if they arrive.

In that sense it is political because then you have to get in to how many, from where, what entry points, how they are supported etc etc.

That said I don't think there can be anything contraversial about supporting from a humanitarian point of view groups of people that are seeking refuge from war zones so its not overtly political in that sense but you could see where some may then make a case to say that showing support from a humanitarian point of view for other groups is okay like for example minorities that have suffered from opressive imperial regimes! This possibility is largely why there's just blanket shying away from anyhting that could be a political message.

Gatecrasher
07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
What's your goal here?

She's not wrong though. Some on here may say its not a political issue but it has political implications which kinda makes it a political issue which opens the door for other political banners to be displayed.

lucky
07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
But all political party leaders in Scotland are supporting the refugees welcome message. So it might be a political message but one with cross party support

Golden Bear
07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Hibernian Football Club do not belong to a particular group of fans - I'd like to think that they "belong" to all of us.

I'd prefer if politics are kept out of it and the game of football continues to be the core point of the business.

HNA2
07-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Could we keep the debating and politics for the other thread please. It was asked that this one be used for fundraising purposes only.

Thanks

cam2644
07-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Great idea. Donation sent.

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2015, 04:51 PM
The amount of folk bitching on other threads because Hibs aren't giving away tickets for the Aberdeen game you would be as well making another banner saying 'Hibs fans welcome'

matty_f
07-09-2015, 04:53 PM
The amount of folk bitching on other threads because Hibs aren't giving away tickets for the Aberdeen game you would be as well making another banner saying 'Hibs fans welcome'

:tee hee:

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 05:01 PM

This is one 'good cause' I am not getting involved in :greengrin

£1,000 now received :not worth

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2015, 05:15 PM
This is one 'good cause' I am not getting involved in :greengrin

£1,000 now received :not worth

That's a terrific effort. Hibs class indeed.

Alfred E Newman
07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Hibernian Football Club do not belong to a particular group of fans - I'd like to think that they "belong" to all of us.

I'd prefer if politics are kept out of it and the game of football continues to be the core point of the business.

Spot on :agree:

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 06:47 PM

True, but that was covered in the OP as no-one is claiming to be speaking for the whole support.

Anyway, it seems that some Hibs fans are not alone in their endeavours, as English League clubs have designated Sat. 12th Sept. as 'Refugees Welcome Day', following on from their German counterparts efforts.

Celtic are also donating part of the monies raised from a memorial game v Dunfermline.

Aston Villa are the first Premier League club to pledge support and in Spain, Real Madrid are also on board. There are also many, many more clubs involved (see below).

Anyway, you can't please all of the people all of the time though, as they say.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/09/port-vale-fans-asked-to-support-refugees-welcome-campaign/

(http://wembleymatters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/support-refugees-welcome-here-national.html)http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/german-soccer-team-refugees-welcome-banner-1.3216290

http://wembleymatters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/support-refugees-welcome-here-national.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-football-clubs-fans-reacted-6384019

http://www.rt.com/news/314532-refugees-donation-real-madrid/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/what-one-of-the-worlds-biggest-football-clubs-is-doing-to-he#.upwK8AYYl

15397 (http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/what-one-of-the-worlds-biggest-football-clubs-is-doing-to-he#.upwK8AYYl)

Tonight at Hampden :aok:

ronaldo7
07-09-2015, 09:37 PM

FranckSuzy
07-09-2015, 09:57 PM

anon1875
07-09-2015, 11:27 PM
A club founded by immigrants, for everyone. Good luck making it lads, fully support.

portygeoff
08-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm appalled by what is happening. I've already given as much as I can to other charities, but I support this. We are watching people starve and drown and suffocate, all in glorious Hi Definition Technicolor. Edinburgh has space for an extra 500,000 people during the festival, FFS these people need to be let in!!

Outstanding comment. :aok:

portygeoff
08-09-2015, 04:13 PM

portygeoff
08-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Just to add my bit. Some of you will be aware that I have been asking the club to allow some refugee kids to be mascots for the Alloa game. I have had a reply from Leeann today. Because of the tight timetable she could not give a guarantee but is looking at this and other ways that the club might be able to highlight the plight of refugees.

She is very positive about listening to the fans and ideas that we have and is contacting some supporters she knows who work with refugees. Bloody good showing from the club and its supporters, donation is on the way.

GGTTH :flag:

FranckSuzy
08-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Just to add my bit. Some of you will be aware that I have been asking the club to allow some refugee kids to be mascots for the Alloa game. I have had a reply from Leeann today. Because of the tight timetable she could not give a guarantee but is looking at this and other ways that the club might be able to highlight the plight of refugees.

She is very positive about listening to the fans and ideas that we have and is contacting some supporters she knows who work with refugees. Bloody good showing from the club and its supporters, donation is on the way.

Donation received, thank you.

£1,075 now raised :not worth

Viva_Palmeiras
09-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Totally agree.

Don't know if FS meant it like that but maybe left it hanging out there.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-09-2015, 09:20 AM

Every little helps but whilst immediately there's a need for financial support its about attitudes as well. Let's see if this makes a real difference.

Alex Trager
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
St Pauli and BVB show their opinionshttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/09/26c514b76fd11ee5fe96453d0ee07272.jpg

FranckSuzy
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM
St Pauli and BVB show their opinionshttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/09/26c514b76fd11ee5fe96453d0ee07272.jpg

QMU-1875
09-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Donation made. Delighted that we are doing this, grandson of a refugee so will be very proud when the banner is revealed.

nonshinyfinish
09-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Donated.

The phrase 'if you know your history' has rarely been more apt.

FranckSuzy
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Donation made. Delighted that we are doing this, grandson of a refugee so will be very proud when the banner is revealed.

Donated.

The phrase 'if you know your history' has rarely been more apt.

Much appreciated :aok:

£1,105 now raised :not worth

Benny Brazil
10-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Much appreciated :aok:

£1,105 now raised :not worth

Have the club given their approval for this?

FranckSuzy
10-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Talks are ongoing and we are hopeful of a positive outcome :greengrin

green&left
10-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Not sure on what grounds they'd not approve it. PR disaster for them if they did IMO when you see what St Pauli and Dortmund done early this week (Not to mention Scotland fans closer to home at Hampden on Monday).

FranckSuzy
10-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Not sure on what grounds they'd not approve it. PR disaster for them if they did IMO when you see what St Pauli and Dortmund done early this week (Not to mention Scotland fans closer to home at Hampden on Monday).

Permission granted for a "fans initiative" :aok:

£1,115 now raised

Nakedmanoncrack
10-09-2015, 10:04 PM
An excellent initiative, I look forward to details of how the banner will be displayed.

superbam
10-09-2015, 11:13 PM

£1,115 now raised

Quality, massive respect for initiating this

Gatecrasher
11-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Permission granted for a "fans initiative"
No disrespect to all you arranging this but I'm disappointed in this decision

ronaldo7
11-09-2015, 12:01 PM

£1,115 now raised

Excellent result.

Wembley67
11-09-2015, 12:08 PM

I agree, this will have set an unfortunate benchmark.

green&left
11-09-2015, 01:28 PM
I agree, this will have set an unfortunate benchmark.

Such as what?

Alex Trager
11-09-2015, 01:44 PM

What do you mean by this decision?

GlasgowHibee
11-09-2015, 01:51 PM
What do you mean by this decision?

I'd hazard a guess at the fact football and politics have mixed, which i'd be inclined to agree with.

Although I completely and wholeheartedly agree with the stance of the banner, and the idea it's promoting, I don't agree that it should be displayed inside Easter Road, or even outside it.

We are Hibs fans, who come from varying different backgrounds, some Hibs fans might be completely against more refugees coming over, and this banner isn't giving them their chance to express their opinion.

This banner unites all Hibs fans as having the same view, which I think is hard to believe, and ultimately somewhat unfair on the people who don't wish for more refugees to come over.

Alex Trager
11-09-2015, 01:52 PM
I'd hazard a guess at the fact football and politics have mixed, which i'd be inclined to agree with.

Although I completely and wholeheartedly agree with the stance of the banner, and the idea it's promoting, I don't agree that it should be displayed inside Easter Road, or even outside it.

We are Hibs fans, who come from varying different backgrounds, some Hibs fans might be completely against more refugees coming over, and this banner isn't giving them their chance to express their opinion.

This banner unites all Hibs fans as having the same view, which I think is hard to believe, and ultimately somewhat unfair on the people who don't wish for more refugees to come over.

Ah I see. Fair enough mate

portygeoff
11-09-2015, 07:03 PM

£1,115 now raised

Excellent news. After the game, are there any thoughts of carrying it to the vigil at the Scottish Parliament?

Alfred E Newman
11-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Correct. I am well aware of the problems of the world both at home and abroad and of the sad plight of the genuine refugees, but when I go to ER tomorrow I go to watch the Hibs not to post some political message.

rcarter1
11-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Personally delighted to hear the club have sanctioned this. I hope it is picked up in the news, and I hope some refugees see it, and feel that little bit more comfortable about entering the country.
I appreciate that as some people believe this doesn't represent all of the fans views, it shouldn't go ahead. If every song sung, or banner or statement needed to represent all of the fans views, how does this work? We are not a political party, we are people who happen to follow the same football team.

Television exposure of Football represents a rare opportunity for collective voices to be heard/seen. No doubt the club had to think this through, but seriously, if welcoming people fleeing from their war torn homeland is a controversial hot potato, then good luck humanity, we're stuffed.

FranckSuzy
11-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but no-one claimed to be talking for the whole support. During the Independence Referendum, I noticed 'YES' banners in the East but accepted it was the opinion of those holding them, not the whole stand's...

IMHO, the situation is best described by a quote taken from the link below, "there are no sides, we're all humans".

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2343/refugeecrisis-what-people-in-scotland-can-do-to-help

Nakedmanoncrack
11-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Out of interest do you object to all mixing of politics and football?

Anyway, I don’t think anyone has claimed it is representative of all Hibernian supporters views, and those who disapprove haven’t been castigated as others have in the past for taking a different view on some of the things the club has chosen to get involved in.

FranckSuzy
11-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Excellent news. After the game, are there any thoughts of carrying it to the vigil at the Scottish Parliament?

I've been in touch with the organisers and asked if they would like it to be displayed tomorrow. I could take it up there after the game, if so :aok:

ronaldo7
11-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know where the banner will be displayed?

FranckSuzy
11-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Does anyone know where the banner will be displayed?

Yes :greengrin

In the East, up at the back, where a certain branch display their flag :aok:

Since90+2
12-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Its fantastic that the support has raised over a thousand pound for the crisis but IMO it should all be given to the charity directly. I don't see the need, or the point, of making a banner that will have no benefit to the people in trouble. If anything, it will only cause conflict as shown in this thread.

danhibees1875
12-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Its fantastic that the support has raised over a thousand pound for the crisis but IMO it should all be given to the charity directly. I don't see the need, or the point, of making a banner that will have no benefit to the people in trouble. If anything, it will only cause conflict as shown in this thread.

I very much see where you're coming from with this. However, I think it's important to note the message of solidarity that is being sent out to these extremely unfortunate people who are no doubt terrified moving half way across the world to places where a minority resent their presence. Money only goes so far in these situations (And I'm very glad a portion will be going to help in the short term), tangible evidence that people care and want their government to act is where we can begin to bring around actual long term change. Imo.

Once again, a huge well done to all those involved.

RoscoHibby
12-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I can see why everyone is so supportive of this, hibernian being formed by immigrants and all. I may get completely panned for this, but if you see the link below, why is none of this being shown in the MSM? Genuine question why they are only being shown as victims when it's clearly not the case and are far from all being Syrian..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV315xqbRK8&sns=em

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:41 AM
I can see why everyone is so supportive of this, hibernian being formed by immigrants and all. I may get completely panned for this, but if you see the link below, why is none of this being shown in the MSM? Genuine question why they are only being shown as victims when it's clearly not the case and are far from all being Syrian..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV315xqbRK8&sns=em

You'll not get "panned" but you may well be asked to move your post to the thread on the Holy Ground forum :wink: This one is for support/donations of the banner and/or collection :aok:

RoscoHibby
12-09-2015, 08:48 AM
You'll not get "panned" but you may well be asked to move your post to the thread on the Holy Ground forum :wink: This one is for support/donations of the banner and/or collection :aok:

Sorry I wasn't aware of another thread, but think it's quite pertinent considering people are parting with their hard earned for this, and I'm quite sure we all wouldn't like to see such scenes in Leith...

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:51 AM

You are entitled to your opinion but as previously discussed, the banner was the catalyst for Hibs fans to donate. If anyone had posted a thread saying, "Does Anyone Want To Donate To Syrian Refugees?", I doubt it would have been as successful. Now, £975 will go to a charity directly helping those in need, due to the manufacturer's commitment to helping us out and a good Hibby recommending them http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

We now have a banner that measures 7m x 1.5m, is in green and will be donated to the group holding a vigil at the Scottish Parliament so it will get used over and over again by them.

Football clubs across Europe are showing solidarity today and SOME Hibs fans would like to be part of it. There is no "conflict", just discussion :aok:

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Sorry I wasn't aware of another thread, but think it's quite pertinent considering people are parting with their hard earned for this, and I'm quite sure we all wouldn't like to see such scenes in Leith...

Please continue this on the below thread :aok:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?303290-Refugees-welcome!&p=4464084#post4464084
(http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?303290-Refugees-welcome!&p=4464084#post4464084)

Since90+2
12-09-2015, 08:54 AM
You are entitled to your opinion but as previously discussed, the banner was the catalyst for Hibs fans to donate. If anyone had posted a thread saying, "Does Anyone Want To Donate To Syrian Refugees?", I doubt it would have been as successful. Now, £975 will go to a charity directly helping those in need, due to the manufacturer's commitment to helping us out and a good Hibby recommending them http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

We now have a banner that measures 7m x 1.5m, is in green and will being donated to the group holding a vigil at the Scottish Parliament so it will get used over and over again by them

Football clubs across Europe are showing solidarity today and SOME Hibs fans would like to be part of it. There is no "conflict", just discussion :aok:

Yes, I do believe a similar thread asking for people to donate to the crisis would have raised the same , or possibly more and all the money would have went to the people in need.

RoscoHibby
12-09-2015, 08:55 AM
It's incredibly commendable to have raised this amount of money and again shows the big hearts of hibbys everywhere. Hibs class indeed.

My point is though, for reasons not known to me, we aren't being given the full story through the MSM, I only stumbled upon this link. Have you actually watched it?? It's pretty scary stuff...

liamh2202
12-09-2015, 08:55 AM
People know my feelings on the banner being displayed but well done Suzy and everyone else involved. A great effort with the fund raising .

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Yes, I do believe a similar thread asking for people to donate to the crisis would have raised the same , or possibly more and all the money would have went to the people in need.

Be my guest to start it then :aok:

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 09:00 AM
It's incredibly commendable to have raised this amount of money and again shows the big hearts of hibbys everywhere. Hibs class indeed.

My point is though, for reasons not known to me, we aren't being given the full story through the MSM, I only stumbled upon this link. Have you actually watched it?? It's pretty scary stuff...

As I say, please have the discussion on the other thread :wink:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?303290-Refugees-welcome!&p=4464084#post4464084

RoscoHibby
12-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Please continue this on the below thread :aok:

(http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?303290-Refugees-welcome!&p=4464084#post4464084)

I have, but if your spending so much energy on this, you really should watch the vid, it's only 5 minutes long...

Since90+2
12-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Be my guest to start it then :aok:

There are already various channels people can use to donate to the crisis directly, I don't see the need to raise it on here :aok:

Loopz
12-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Donation sent, keep up the good work.

Since90+2
12-09-2015, 09:15 AM
If anyone wishes to donate to provide aid for the crisis without wishing to contribute to a banner they can do so on the link below:

http://donate.unhcr.org/international/syria

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 09:20 AM
There are already various channels people can use to donate to the crisis directly, I don't see the need to raise it on here :aok:

If anyone wishes to donate to provide aid for the crisis without wishing to contribute to a banner they can do so on the link below:

http://donate.unhcr.org/international/syria

50+ people donated towards the banner so they obviously thought it was a good route to go down, especially with the Hibs connection.

That's great, thanks for posting that and I hope they get lots of donations. You see, using a Hibs forum does have its benefits :wink:

Keith_M
12-09-2015, 09:52 AM
50+ people donated towards the banner so they obviously thought it was a good route to go down, especially with the Hibs connection.

That's great, thanks for posting that and I hope they get lots of donations. You see, using a Hibs forum does have its benefits :wink:

What's the current status of this effort? When do you plan to display it?

(just to save me trawling though the rest of the thread :) )

rcarter1
12-09-2015, 09:57 AM

A German football club took the lead. It opened up the idea that this message could be spread at football grounds across Europe. It has no doubt increased awareness/motivation among some people. I know it has increased my engagement with the issue. Subsequent to my donation for the banner, I then moved to a larger donation to the crisis directly.

Out of interest, you might want to check every penny of 'directly' donated money. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in someones account of the spending, you would find costs covering a banner or some other advertising/awareness aspect. Awareness costing £100 might eventually lead to £1000 of direct help.

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Donation sent, keep up the good work.

Received, thank you :aok:

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 10:41 AM
A German football club took the lead. It opened up the idea that this message could be spread at football grounds across Europe. It has no doubt increased awareness/motivation among some people. I know it has increased my engagement with the issue. Subsequent to my donation for the banner, I then moved to a larger donation to the crisis directly.

Out of interest, you might want to check every penny of 'directly' donated money. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in someones account of the spending, you would find costs covering a banner or some other advertising/awareness aspect. Awareness costing £100 might eventually lead to £1000 of direct help.

Good point(s) :agree:

As someone commented to me, everyone in the UK knows who Oxfam are and yet, they probably spend thousands (if not more!) on advertising....

Johnny Clash
12-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Great initiative. Will make donation today.

Fact is, the banner appeal gave Hibs supporters something to show tangible solidarity around.
It doesn't stop us continuing to support other charities or fundraising organisations as some seem to suggest. So a huge well done to those who organised this.

The banner will create a focus to show that we can support Hibs as well as humanitarian causes. Just like The Dnipro Appeal - the generosity of fellow Hibees is well and truly in the tradition of our club and the way we were founded and makes me proud to be part of that .

GGTTH

danhibees1875
12-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Any photos?

HiBremian
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Any photos?
screen grab from hibs tv today :aok:

Hibrandenburg
12-09-2015, 05:03 PM
screen grab from hibs tv today :aok:

:thumbsup: Was there any reaction to the banner in the stadium?

Big well done to all those who got this done.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't want to go all Oscars acceptance speech but just a few thank yous.

Firstly to all the posters who PM'd offering help whether it was used or not.

To the guys who made the banner. It was different class.

To St Pats for their generous cash donation and also for taking the lead with regards to getting the banner in position and unveiled today.

To all who donated whether they be followers of Leith Links on Twitter or Facebook or those who post on The Bounce or hibs.net. As always the Hibs support have proven there really is such a thing as Hibs class.

And finally to Suzy who typifies Hibs class. She has really taken the lead on this and worked tirelessly to get this done. She has once again proved she is the best 'scranner' in the Hibs support.

I'll post exactly how much will be going to charity later along with which charity will be the beneficiary. There 're still a few donations coming in so I'd rather give an accurate figure than mislead anyone. The banner has now been passed on to the groups holding the vigil at the Parliament tonight and will be used again and again over the next few weeks.

Carheenlea
12-09-2015, 05:55 PM
My mate took this one from the West, sure he won`t mind me sharing a great picture.

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't want to go all Oscars acceptance speech but just a few thank yous.

Firstly to all the posters who PM'd offering help whether it was used or not.

To the guys who made the banner. It was different class.

To St Pats for their generous cash donation and also for taking the lead with regards to getting the banner in position and unveiled today.

To all who donated whether they be followers of Leith Links on Twitter or Facebook or those who post on The Bounce or hibs.net. As always the Hibs support have proven there really is such a thing as Hibs class.

And finally to Suzy who typifies Hibs class. She has really taken the lead on this and worked tirelessly to get this done. She has once again proved she is the best 'scranner' in the Hibs support.

I'll post exactly how much will be going to charity later along with which charity will be the beneficiary. There 're still a few donations coming in so I'd rather give an accurate figure than mislead anyone. The banner has now been passed on to the groups holding the vigil at the Parliament tonight and will be used again and again over the next few weeks.

Cheers PB, it was the least I could do. Thanks to you and .net for your efforts and support, plus everyone who donated and/or backed the initiative :aok:

Here's the banner being put to good use at the 'Silent Vigil' outside the Scottish Parliament and being displayed in the Queen's Park.

Vini1875
12-09-2015, 07:21 PM
How come the display was limited to before the game and half time? Was this from the club?

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 07:28 PM
How come the display was limited to before the game and half time? Was this from the club?

:agree: It was classed a a fan-led initiative and not an official response to the situation.

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 07:39 PM
A better, clearer (than my) pic of the banner.

ronaldo7
12-09-2015, 08:00 PM

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:01 PM

:thumbsup: Is that wee A? :wink:

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Here's the banner on the walk up the Radical Road

And another one at the Silent Vigil

3pm
12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Here's the banner on the walk up the Radical Road

And another one at the Silent Vigil

2nd picture a cracker.

ronaldo7
12-09-2015, 08:16 PM
:thumbsup: Is that wee A? :wink:

:agree: Donated his pocket money to a charity for refugees, so he wanted a picture with our Banner:aok:

FranckSuzy
12-09-2015, 08:22 PM
:agree: Donated his pocket money to a charity for refugees, so he wanted a picture with our Banner:aok:

Good lad :aok:

Nakedmanoncrack
13-09-2015, 01:41 AM
Great effort by all, and the banner looked great from the West - well done.

frazeHFC
13-09-2015, 03:53 AM
Hibs hibs hibs for the cup

Pretty Boy
13-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Just a final update to let Everyone know that 2 donations of £500 each were made to Edinburgh Direct Aid and Mercy Corps respectively this evening.

Thanks again to everyone who made a donation.:aok:

Jonnyboy
13-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Just a final update to let Everyone know that 2 donations of £500 each were made to Edinburgh Direct Aid and Mercy Corps respectively this evening.

Great work, PB :aok:

ronaldo7
13-09-2015, 08:09 PM

:applause:

O'Rourke3
13-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Excellent

Sent via the bushes @ EM

neil7908
13-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Well done to all involved

Hibrandenburg
14-09-2015, 06:50 AM

Excellent!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

FranckSuzy
14-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Good article (http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2015/09/generous-hibs-fans-raise-over-1000-to-help-refugees/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheEdinburghReporter+%28The+E dinburgh+Reporter%29) in The Edinburgh Reporter by a fellow .netter :aok:

Malthibby
14-09-2015, 04:03 PM

That's a great result, just sorry I was darn sarf & missed the banner.
Well done to PB, FS & the rest.
GG

EH54
15-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Looks like HibsTV liked it as'well got a good view of it on there recent youtube video :) :thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
20-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Great stuff from Real Madrid & Ronaldo yesterday taking the son of the tripped Syrian refugee on to the park as a mascot, would be good to see Scottish clubs doing the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3241589/Cristiano-Ronaldo-walks-son-Syrian-refugee-win-Granada-Real-Madrid-support-crisis.html

Cristiano Ronaldo walks out with son of a Syrian refugee before win over Granada as Real Madrid support those in crisis

Osama Abdul Mohsen tripped by Hungarian journalist trying to escape
Syrian refugee invited to Real madrid match against Granada
His son Zaid accompanied Cristiano Ronaldo onto the pitch beforehand
Real Madrid have wore t-shirts supporting the plight of refugees

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/20/00/2C824FC400000578-0-image-a-2_1442703676363.jpg

rcarter1
20-09-2015, 08:01 AM

Thanks to the organisers of this as well!

FranckSuzy
04-01-2017, 05:37 PM
The reason for dragging this old thread up is that, unbelievably, I heard about a Hibby who was on holiday in Berlin last week and he got talking to a chap - who is a Syrian/Palestinian refugee - about Scotland and football. When the Hibees were mentioned, the gentleman said knew of the banner we displayed and was seemingly genuinely touched by the gesture. Wonderful stuff, as ever, by our support :not worth

makaveli1875
04-01-2017, 07:15 PM
im all for helping the needy but is jumping around waving refugee welcome banners really necessary at the football

its on the news and in the papers 24/7 , it would be nice to be able to escape from it for the odd 90 minutes each week

Prof. Shaggy
04-01-2017, 07:22 PM
im all for helping the needy but is jumping around waving refugee welcome banners really necessary at the football

its on the news and in the papers 24/7 , it would be nice to be able to escape from it for the odd 90 minutes each week

Have you tried the cinema?

makaveli1875
04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Have you tried the cinema?

they dont often show hibs games at the cinema

Pretty Boy
04-01-2017, 07:33 PM
People are aware this is a thread bumped from about 16 months ago, yes?

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Nobody is stopping people from crowdfunding WE DON'T WANT REFUGEES OVER HERE banners. And nobody believes that a banner or a song represents the whole support. For example, the Rudi Skacel song or the Edinburgh is Wonderful song didn't represent me.

FranckSuzy
04-01-2017, 08:06 PM
People are aware this is a thread bumped from about 16 months ago, yes?

:agree: and I did mention the fact it was an old thread in my first sentence :greengrin