PDA

View Full Version : Was that our best transfer window in recent years?

Diclonius
02-09-2015, 08:03 AM
I certainly can't think of a better one.

liamh2202
02-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Definitely. Its a bit ironic that its come when we are in a lower division and not even favorites to go up. But what a squad we have built . and for the future as well. Delighted with the club and alan.

BSEJVT
02-09-2015, 08:13 AM
It's a tricky one but on balance I think Pat Fenlon's galacticos probably just shade it

neil7908
02-09-2015, 08:14 AM
We've signed a really exciting set of players but I do wonder if the squad is a little unbalanced? I've lost count of how many forwards we have now! Still, scoring goals is obviously critical in this league as the defence should in theory not have much to do most games. Going to be very interesting how Stubbs sets the team up now

liamh2202
02-09-2015, 08:17 AM
We've signed a really exciting set of players but I do wonder if the squad is a little unbalanced? I've lost count of how many forwards we have now! Still, scoring goals is obviously critical in this league as the defence should in theory not have much to do most games. Going to be very interesting how Stubbs sets the team up now

I've read a lot mirroring your concerns and I get where you are coming from. But is another way of looking at it not a statement of intent. No need to chop and change the defense and if we get injuries the squad we have should be capable of covering for a game or two. Instead going for a variety of options going forward .

E10 Rifle
02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Remains to be seen - over to Stubbs and his team now.

Onion
02-09-2015, 08:43 AM

IMO the best transfer season in years, not only because of the depth of quality but also the early dealing. Sounds like Stubbs got a lot of his first choice picks. I can see why Stubbs has overloaded with midfield options and forwards. Most of the teams we'll play will sit in, even more than last season. Hibs will dominate the ball and be expected to break teams down, so he'll have to try variations to achieve that. Our defence with Fontaine, Hanlon, McGregor, Stephenson, Gray, Foster and Bartley (DFM) *should* be good enough to handle anything this league can throw at them. The only remaining question is how quickly Stubbs can gel these guys into a winning, settled formation ? No shortage of options.

--------
02-09-2015, 08:49 AM
IMO the best transfer season in years, not only because of the depth of quality but also the early dealing. Sounds like Stubbs got a lot of his first choice picks. I can see why Stubbs has overloaded with midfield options and forwards. Most of the teams we'll play will sit in, even more than last season. Hibs will dominate the ball and be expected to break teams down, so he'll have to try variations to achieve that. Our defence with Fontaine, Hanlon, McGregor, Stephenson, Gray, Foster and Bartley (DFM) *should* be good enough to handle anything this league can throw at them. The only remaining question is how quickly Stubbs can gel these guys into a winning, settled formation ? No shortage of options.

Exactly - potentially excellent, but we won't know for sure until the players actually play.

lucky
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Now is the time for Stubbs and his coaching staff to prove their worth. LD & the board have backed him as have the fans through shares, HSL & attending games. If he can get them playing well scoring and winning the number attending games will grow. So over to you Stubbsy

Smartie
02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
I thought Stubbs did very well indeed last summer.

To take the squad that was absolutely on it's knees after being relegated and get it to being the one that was performing the way it was by about November/ December (with Scott Allan getting up to speed and pulling the strings) was nothing short of miraculous. Of course our start wasn't great, we continued to drop the odd silly point over the course of the season and ultimately I don't think we had enough pace or killer instinct in the final third to quite do what we set out to do but I thought that he did very well.

Because he did well then, he only needed to tweak a bit in January (which I think he did well, albeit we were still a bit short in terms of squad depth meaning that injuries to Farid, Boyle and Forster cost us dear) and build on it again this summer - which at this stage I also think he has done very well.

Over now to the players, but I have great confidence in them that they'll be able to do what is required. We need to go on a good run now though.

The biggest danger we have is that everybody (and by that I mean anyone at Hibs and anyone at any other Championship club) falls into the trap of believing that The Rangers are an invincible footballing machine when I believe that we have every bit as much going for us as they do (without having carried some of the luck they have at important times throughout their first few games.)

patlowe
02-09-2015, 12:27 PM
The key for me is that we now have very good strength in depth and options in every position, with the required flexibility to mix it up formation wise. The midfield is particularly strong. It's very, very difficult to make comparisons with the prem but you'd have to say that most teams would bite your hand off for a few/all of McGeouch, McGinn, Henderson, Fyvie and Carmichael for a start. There's a question mark over LB but because of recruits elsewhere in defence, we can move Hanlon over there if needs be.

The Allan saga and the Dumbarton/Rangers results have overshadowed the mood of what has been an extremely effective summer transfer wise, probably the best in recent years, as suggested by the OP. Let's hope we can build up enough momentum to make up for those defeats. It may be that Rangers are too strong in terms of the title but hopefully we are there or thereabouts and should be in a good position to get promoted regardless come May.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Like probably every other Scottish team outside of Celtic, we're not in a position to sign tried-and-tested players at this level. However, quite a bit of depth in the squad and the possibility of decent youth stepping up makes me hopeful.

We'll see if Rangers, as many suspect, like Hearts last season, really have learned to just grind out results against the top teams in the division and steamroller the bottom ones, which is the model for promotion in this league.

Hopefully they will hit a dodgy patch though - I doubt it, but stranger things have happened, because they ain't particularly impressive.

The only really terrible result we've had so far this season has been the Dumbarton one, and the game against Raith was heartening. I like Stubbs signings, Keatings looks a proper striker, but we need more width in the side.

southsider
02-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Perhaps AS is going back to the Famous Five days. A goalie, two full backs. a centre-half, two half backs and 5 forwards ! Win every game 4-2 or 5-3. That will bring the crowds back.

liamh2202
02-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Perhaps AS is going back to the Famous Five days. A goalie, two full backs. a centre-half, two half backs and 5 forwards ! Win every game 4-2 or 5-3. That will bring the crowds back.

I'd be willing to back him to give it a go :)

PatHead
02-09-2015, 01:44 PM
The way teams set up against us at Easter Road he could probably get away with it!

California-Hibs
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I seriously think the mind set is: Almost every team in this league camp in there own half when playing against us. Trying and hoping for the best to catch us on a rare lucky break. Our defense on the whole, usually have a pretty quiet time. Therefore it's time to unleash some real heavy firepower and pace at teams so unlock their defense. Hence Feruz and Arnier!

heretoday
02-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Remains to be seen if the whirlwind brings forth wheat or chaff. I think he has enough forwards! Let's hope the others can create chances for them.

GreenLake
03-09-2015, 05:31 AM
It's a pity we can't transfer our referees to El Salvador on a season long loan. Get a load of unbiased ones in.

SlickShoes
03-09-2015, 08:16 AM
If we get promoted then it will have been good, if we don't then it's another failure in a long running saga of failures.

superfurryhibby
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Like probably every other Scottish team outside of Celtic, we're not in a position to sign tried-and-tested players at this level. However, quite a bit of depth in the squad and the possibility of decent youth stepping up makes me hopeful.

Aberdeen have. They gave invested and are seeing dividends, Shinnie is a good example.

I do agree, our squad has more depth than last seasons. We should be making it a two horse race and pull well clear of the rest much earlier this season. I'm more confident we can run the Hun close, maybe better them over the season. Good business by Hibs.

erin go bragh
03-09-2015, 11:06 AM
It's the best since Mcleish signed Sauzee ,Latapy ,O'neil ,Laursen !

GGTTH

Bad Martini
03-09-2015, 11:22 AM
We'll see if Rangers, as many suspect, like Hearts last season, really have learned to just grind out results against the top teams in the division and steamroller the bottom ones, which is the model for promotion in this league.

They certainly didnt manage that against us at Ibrox and were fortunate to take the points and then some.

A far bigger concern is our own ability to grind out results. Forget the huns. WE need only win the games we have and then turn those muppets over next time we have them.

Folk seem to making a lot of our influx of forwards and midfielders/attacking mids.

This is NOT a bad thing. Folk also seem to be forgetting we have always shipped a ****load more goals than really should have been the case. The difference in the past (take yourself back as far as you like though you need only go back to the "golden generation" for evidence) is that we were scoring more than we shipped...sounds obvious...is obvious. Even yam bams can understand this; first put the ball in the opposition net...this makes everything else easier :greengrin anyone suggesting more attacking options in some way limits this thinking requires a good skelp in the boat with a school of fresh fish...:greengrin

In regards THESE signings in particular; who knows. I guarantee you most people on here havent tracked all/some or any of these latest signings. Fortunately, thats not our job. Lets hope the folks who have that job have done it right.

We talk about unknowns? I recall the huns asking who the actual **** IS this laddie Sproule? They didnt know his name when he arrived at Ibrox. They ****ingwell knew his name as he hammered three past them with no reply though eh :aok::greengrin

GGTTH YA BASS

Peevemor
03-09-2015, 11:33 AM
It's the best since Mcleish signed Sauzee ,Latapy ,O'neil ,Laursen !

GGTTH

Transfer windows hadn't been invented then.

erin go bragh
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Transfer windows hadn't been invented then.

Ok . Answer is yes then :) anyone know what year the transfer windows started . Thanks in advance .

GGTTH

Tinribs
03-09-2015, 07:06 PM
They certainly didnt manage that against us at Ibrox and were fortunate to take the points and then some.

A far bigger concern is our own ability to grind out results. Forget the huns. WE need only win the games we have and then turn those muppets over next time we have them.

Folk seem to making a lot of our influx of forwards and midfielders/attacking mids.

This is NOT a bad thing. Folk also seem to be forgetting we have always shipped a ****load more goals than really should have been the case. The difference in the past (take yourself back as far as you like though you need only go back to the "golden generation" for evidence) is that we were scoring more than we shipped...sounds obvious...is obvious. Even yam bams can understand this; first put the ball in the opposition net...this makes everything else easier :greengrin anyone suggesting more attacking options in some way limits this thinking requires a good skelp in the boat with a school of fresh fish...:greengrin

In regards THESE signings in particular; who knows. I guarantee you most people on here havent tracked all/some or any of these latest signings. Fortunately, thats not our job. Lets hope the folks who have that job have done it right.

We talk about unknowns? I recall the huns asking who the actual **** IS this laddie Sproule? They didnt know his name when he arrived at Ibrox. They ****ingwell knew his name as he hammered three past them with no reply though eh :aok::greengrin

GGTTH YA BASS

Just incase any of us have forgotten Ivan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ :flag:

Peevemor
03-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Ok . Answer is yes then :) anyone know what year the transfer windows started . Thanks in advance .

GGTTH

About 2002 I think ???