PDA

View Full Version : 2015 US Open

Sir David Gray
30-08-2015, 03:00 PM
The final Grand Slam of the year begins tomorrow and on day one, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are both in action.

Djokovic should be on around 8pm UK time against Joao Souza whilst Nadal will be on around 2am on Tuesday against Borna Coric.

Andy Murray doesn't play until Tuesday but Heather Watson starts tomorrow against Lauren Davis and she begins at 4pm UK time.

Also in the women's draw, Serena Williams is bidding for an historic achievement by becoming the first woman for almost 30 years to complete the calendar Grand Slam by winning all four Grand Slams in 2015.

She begins her tournament at 12am on Tuesday against Vitalia Diatchenko.

GreenLake
30-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Andy Murray has a tough first game against Nick Kyrgios who along with a half a dozen groupies seems to make a lot more noise than he is worth. I won't be surprised if Kyrgios wears a maroon shirt.

I may have laid a curse on Murray by buying two mens semi finals day tickets. It would obviously be nice to see him play in one of them and maybe too much to hope for.

Murray or not, a trip to New York is always fun and I reserved a table at American Cut (http://americancutsteakhouse.com/locations/) in Tribeca to have this steak (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqiprp7l7jU).

Sir David Gray
30-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Andy Murray has a tough first game against Nick Kyrgios who along with a half a dozen groupies seems to make a lot more noise than he is worth. I won't be surprised if Kyrgios wears a maroon shirt.

I may have laid a curse on Murray by buying two mens semi finals day tickets. It would obviously be nice to see him play in one of them and maybe too much to hope for.

Murray or not, a trip to New York is always fun and I reserved a table at American Cut (http://americancutsteakhouse.com/locations/) in Tribeca to have this steak (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqiprp7l7jU).

It's certainly one of the toughest first round matches Murray could have got considering Kyrgios is just outside the seedings but I don't expect Murray to face too many problems against him.

I can't see too many problems, as always, until the latter stages of the tournament.

He is scheduled to play Stan Wawrinka in the quarter finals, Roger Federer in the semis and then Novak Djokovic in the final. That would be a pretty tough three matches but he should be largely untested up to that point.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the tennis.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Would love Andy to win this again. Will be hard though as Wawrinka seems to save his best for the majors.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Heather Watson loses the first set in a tiebreak against Lauren Davis.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Heather Watson's search for a first win at the US Open continues as she loses in the first round to Lauren Davis, 7-6 7-6.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Wonder if she will ever progress now after all these injuries.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Last year's beaten finalist, Nishikori taken to 5th set.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Wonder if she will ever progress now after all these injuries.

The glandular fever she had a couple of years ago really set her back.

It's a shame because she had a lot of potential about five or six years ago.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Last year's beaten finalist, Kei Nishikori, is out after losing in five sets to Benoit Paire.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Last year's beaten finalist, Kei Nishikori, is out after losing in five sets to Benoit Paire.

Aye he is root a toot. His ranking will suffer after that. Never heard of Paire before

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Aye he is root a toot. His ranking will suffer after that. Never heard of Paire before

Probably won't go much lower than sixth, David Ferrer in seventh is a lot of points behind him but I expect Wawrinka and Berdych to overtake him.

Paire's a very talented guy, currently ranked just outside the top 40 but came close to breaking into the top 20 a couple of years ago.

Certainly think he's capable of reaching top 15 at some stage.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Venus Williams is finally through after three sets against Monica Puig.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Just been confirmed that Andy Murray will play Nick Kyrgios at midnight tomorrow UK time.

I thought that might be the case.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 09:57 PM
That be the hottest part of the day?

PatHead
31-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Probably won't go much lower than sixth, David Ferrer in seventh is a lot of points behind him but I expect Wawrinka and Berdych to overtake him.

Paire's a very talented guy, currently ranked just outside the top 40 but came close to breaking into the top 20 a couple of years ago.

Certainly think he's capable of reaching top 15 at some stage.

Ta

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 10:09 PM
That be the hottest part of the day?

Probably not, it's 7pm New York time so it should be cooler.

Just checked the forecast and it's supposed to be around 26 degrees around that time tomorrow.

Sir David Gray
31-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Pretty impressive start for Novak Djokovic, winning 6-1 6-1 6-1 against Joao Souza.

PatHead
31-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Pretty impressive start for Novak Djokovic, winning 6-1 6-1 6-1 against Joao Souza.

Blinked and missed it

PatHead
01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
If you thought Djoka was quick............

Serena Williams match lasted 37 points! Why do Women get paid the same as men?

Her day got better when all the other players seeded in the top ten in her half of the draw were knocked out.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2015, 10:16 PM
If you thought Djoka was quick............

Serena Williams match lasted 37 points! Why do Women get paid the same as men?

Her day got better when all the other players seeded in the top ten in her half of the draw were knocked out.

:agree: Absolute nonsense but that's the last I'll speak about that particular subject as the last time that came up, I was accused of being sexist and all the rest of it.

Good to see Johanna Konta is through to the next round along with Aljaz Bedene today, although Laura Robson and James Ward are both out.

Murray begins his tournament in under an hour. I'm hoping to see the first set before going to bed.

Roger Federer looked on top form as well as he made light work of defeating Leonardo Mayer 6-1 6-2 6-2 in little over an hour.

GreenLake
02-09-2015, 04:06 AM
I had to record it as I had an appointment late in the day but I saw the first six games to 3.3 and it looked like it was going to be a close game. Then Murray took the first set, romped the second and now I am watching it at 1.0 to Kyrgios in the 3rd. Looks like it could go the way of Murray with him not being in the least susceptible to Nick's Aussie one man against the world Mad Max type blustering.

Nick looks like he could be a player if he could get the chip off his shoulder.

GreenLake
02-09-2015, 04:10 AM
Kyrgios breaks to go 2.0 up in the 3rd. Could be a turn-a-round.

GreenLake
02-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Murray broke right back without losing a point then won the next service game. Strong Hib's class tennis by Murray.

GreenLake
02-09-2015, 04:36 AM
Kyrgios making too many unforced errors, but nobody hits harder or better shots than him when he gets it right. He is a great talent with the mind of a village idiot at the helm.

Murray up 5.1 in the fourth. Looks like an easy win.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2015, 09:23 PM
I have to say I'm really impressed with the coverage Sky has of the US Open this year, it's really good with all the eight screens available with different matches to watch and with the news section which comes up every now and again on the main screen with all the latest results and news about certain players.

Top marks. :aok:

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Andy Murray has just started in his match against Adrian Mannarino.

Slow start for Murray as he loses his serve in the first game - 2-1 to Mannarino so far.

Well done to Johanna Konta who has beaten this year's Wimbledon finalist and 9th seed, Garbine Muguruza, in three sets.

She plays Andrea Petkovic next.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Aljaz Bedene has just taken the first set against Donald Young.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 08:22 PM
First set to Mannarino, 7-5.

Murray's really struggling to get to grips with this match so far.

PatHead
03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Really getting frustrated at the match. Murray isn't out of 2nd gear.

Like watching Hibs.

PatHead
03-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Murray broken to go 5 4 down in second set. Didn't see this coming before the match.

3pm
03-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Andy's in the **** here.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 08:56 PM
This isnae looking too promising! :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Murray two sets down, 6-4 second set.

Murray in huge trouble.

Golden Bear
03-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Andy's not on his game and the other guy is playing exceptionally well.

Time yet though.

stoneyburn hibs
03-09-2015, 09:26 PM
French boy is starting to burn out now. Murray coasting from here on in.

3pm
03-09-2015, 09:27 PM
The boy's thrown the set. Interesting 4th coming up!

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 09:28 PM
It's amazing how quickly things can change in tennis.

Half an hour ago, Mannarino was hitting Murray off the court, now he can barely keep the ball in play.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Third set to Murray, 6-1.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
That's more like it! :thumbsup:

Murray is 3/10 on Betfair!

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 09:37 PM
What a point!

How on Earth did Murray win that!? :not worth

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Murray breaks in the fourth set. :aok:

Looking much better now.

It will be interesting to see if Mannarino has anything left to give in either this set or the fifth set assuming it goes that far.

3pm
03-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Will be a sickener if he loses now.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Murray takes the fourth set 6-3.

Can only see one outcome from here.

PatHead
03-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Big turnaround but hope he hasn't taken too much out himself for later rounds assuming he sees this out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Murray breaks, get this done Andy! :hibees

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Murray breaks at the start of the fifth set.

He's just worn Mannarino down over the last couple of sets.

GreenLake
03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Jeez. Thought he wouldn't get back from 2 down. Well done Andy!

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Murray serving for the match @ 5-1

Sir David Gray
03-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Murray wins 5-7 4-6 6-1 6-3 6-1. :aok:

Pretty impressive to only lose five games after going two sets to love down.

Now plays Thomaz Bellucci in the third round.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Get in there! :not worth

3pm
03-09-2015, 10:35 PM
:aok:

GreenLake
04-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Murray had me chewing my fingers up to the shoulders. Hopefully that was his one bad match in the tournament.

Wawrinka struggled too against the Korean kid so maybe the heat and humidity levels play a bit.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Another solid win for Novak Djokovic today although he was put under some pressure by Andreas Seppi. He eventually came through in straight sets.

Milos Raonic is in a bit of bother in his match against Feliciano Lopez as he's just gone two sets to love down.

Rafael Nadal is playing a bit later on.

Bad news for any British based Andy Murray fans tomorrow as his third round match against Thomaz Bellucci is the second night match scheduled on Arthur Ashe court tomorrow so it's likely to start around 2am on Sunday UK time. :boo hoo:

GreenLake
05-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Nadal lost to the Italian Fognini in a great five set match which is kind of sad since he was one of the guys I wanted to see on the other side of the mens singles draw. Looks like it might be Djokovic vs one of the French players and Federer vs Murray or Wawrinka in the men's semis. Perhaps there are more surprises to come.

The long range weather forecasts are predicting thunderstorms for the end of next week. We may have to buy some emergency rain gear since the new roof they are building over the Arthur Ashe stadium is not due to be completed until next year.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Nadal lost to the Italian Fognini in a great five set match which is kind of sad since he was one of the guys I wanted to see on the other side of the mens singles draw. Looks like it might be Djokovic vs one of the French players and Federer vs Murray or Wawrinka in the men's semis. Perhaps there are more surprises to come.

The long range weather forecasts are predicting thunderstorms for the end of next week. We may have to buy some emergency rain gear since the new roof they are building over the Arthur Ashe stadium is not due to be completed until next year.

Sad to see Nadal doing so badly in recent times. I wonder if he'll ever rediscover the form that saw him win so many Grand Slam titles five or six years ago.

At the moment, it's not looking likely.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Johanna Konta takes the first set against Andrea Petkovic on a tiebreak.

3pm
05-09-2015, 04:24 PM
What time is Murray on?

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 04:33 PM
What time is Murray on?

About 2am UK time.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Konta wins 7-6 6-3, well done to her.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Roger Federer safely through to the last 16 after a straight sets win against Philipp Kohlschreiber.

He now plays John Isner.

Sir David Gray
05-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Good women's match on just now between Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber.

Very entertaining match.

PatHead
05-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Good women's match on just now between Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber.

Very entertaining match.
Watched that as well. Not a great fan of women's tennis but enjoyed that

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Murray goes a break down in the third game, I'm away to my pit! :-)

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 01:09 AM
Murray goes a break down in the third game, I'm away to my pit! :-)

No worries, he just broke back (sorry for the yam inference).

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Sad to see Nadal doing so badly in recent times. I wonder if he'll ever rediscover the form that saw him win so many Grand Slam titles five or six years ago.

At the moment, it's not looking likely.

It's odd because he isn't that old or maybe there are a crop of younger guys getting much better.

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Murray serving for the match. He played much better tonight than a couple of days ago.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Watched that as well. Not a great fan of women's tennis but enjoyed that

:agree: Azarenka will be a dangerous opponent over the next couple of rounds, since she's seeded so low just now after recent injuries. It was a really good match and both players were playing really well.

Azarenka plays unseeded Vivara Lepchenko next so you have to imagine she'll win that one. She'll then likely play Simona Halep in the quarter finals which would be an interesting match up.

It's odd because he isn't that old or maybe there are a crop of younger guys getting much better.

I don't think that's the reason to be honest. If you look at the list of people who have beaten him this year, most of them are established pros who are around the same age as him and some are even older.

Fabio Fognini - 28 x3
Feliciano Lopez - 34
Kei Nishikori - 26
Dustin Brown - 31
Alexandr Dolgopolov - 27
Novak Djokovic - 28 x2
Stan Wawrinka - 30
Andy Murray - 28
Fernando Verdasco - 32
Milos Raonic - 25
Tomas Berdych - 30
Michael Berrer - 35

I think it's a combination of a loss of confidence, opponents gaining in confidence that they can actually beat him now and the strain that his body's taken over the last 10 years or so finally catching up with him.

Nadal's still only 29 so there's still time for him to get back to his best but I highly doubt that he'll be doing what Roger Federer is doing right now when he's 34 years of age.

Murray serving for the match. He played much better tonight than a couple of days ago.

Excellent result last night and good to get on and off in around 2 hours.

Should beat Kevin Anderson tomorrow as well I would have thought. It will be interesting to see what happens in the quarter finals. He is due to meet the winner of Stan Wawrinka and Donald Young. Normally I would say that Wawrinka would be a certainty to win that one, however Young has been in impressive form this week, coming back from two sets to love down in two of his first three matches against Gilles Simon and Viktor Troicki, who were both seeds.

Wawrinka hasn't lost a set so far, although he has been taken to a tie break in five of the nine sets he has played so far. I think that might be an interesting match and from Murray's point of view, I hope it's another long match.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
No worries, he just broke back (sorry for the yam inference).

Aye, I saw that before I passed out! :-)

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 01:18 PM
:agree: Azarenka will be a dangerous opponent over the next couple of rounds, since she's seeded so low just now after recent injuries. It was a really good match and both players were playing really well.

Azarenka plays unseeded Vivara Lepchenko next so you have to imagine she'll win that one. She'll then likely play Simona Halep in the quarter finals which would be an interesting match up.

I don't think that's the reason to be honest. If you look at the list of people who have beaten him this year, most of them are established pros who are around the same age as him and some are even older.

Fabio Fognini - 28 x3
Feliciano Lopez - 34
Kei Nishikori - 26
Dustin Brown - 31
Alexandr Dolgopolov - 27
Novak Djokovic - 28 x2
Stan Wawrinka - 30
Andy Murray - 28
Fernando Verdasco - 32
Milos Raonic - 25
Tomas Berdych - 30
Michael Berrer - 35

I think it's a combination of a loss of confidence, opponents gaining in confidence that they can actually beat him now and the strain that his body's taken over the last 10 years or so finally catching up with him.

Nadal's still only 29 so there's still time for him to get back to his best but I highly doubt that he'll be doing what Roger Federer is doing right now when he's 34 years of age.

Excellent result last night and good to get on and off in around 2 hours.

Should beat Kevin Anderson tomorrow as well I would have thought. It will be interesting to see what happens in the quarter finals. He is due to meet the winner of Stan Wawrinka and Donald Young. Normally I would say that Wawrinka would be a certainty to win that one, however Young has been in impressive form this week, coming back from two sets to love down in two of his first three matches against Gilles Simon and Viktor Troicki, who were both seeds.

Wawrinka hasn't lost a set so far, although he has been taken to a tie break in five of the nine sets he has played so far. I think that might be an interesting match and from Murray's point of view, I hope it's another long match.

I have a friend who is nuts about Nadal and she has been expecting him to return to form for quite some time. She doesn't like Andy Murray so I have been giving her a bit of stick about this. Why do you think Nadal is having trouble keeping his style of play going when Federer is not? Is it the amount of energy required for his vicious top spin? How can a guy like Nadal lose confidence when he has won so much?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I have a friend who is nuts about Nadal and she has been expecting him to return to form for quite some time. She doesn't like Andy Murray so I have been giving her a bit of stick about this. Why do you think Nadal is having trouble keeping his style of play going when Federer is not? Is it the amount of energy required for his vicious top spin? How can a guy like Nadal lose confidence when he has won so much?

He wastes so much energy constantly pulling his underwear from between his arse cheeks! ;-)

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 01:54 PM
He wastes so much energy constantly pulling his underwear from between his arse cheeks! ;-)

I will repeat that description when I see my friend. Cheers! lol

Sir David Gray
06-09-2015, 02:00 PM

His style of play relies a lot more on his stamina and his agility around the court than Federer. Federer appears to exert a lot less energy during his matches and has also never faced any serious injuries during his career, Nadal on the other hand has had a lot of trouble with his knees.

I don't think it's been a sudden loss of confidence, it's something that has happened over quite a long period of time. He hasn't won a Grand Slam or a Masters event for well over a year now and as you can see from my previous post, the sort of people who have managed to beat him this year, others will get confidence that they can beat him too. Four or five years ago, hardly anyone apart from Federer, Djokovic or Murray would have truly believed that they could win a match against Rafael Nadal. Now people are doing it on a regular basis so it will help others in the future.

Once that feeling of invincibility goes, it's not easy to regain.

GreenLake
06-09-2015, 04:45 PM
His style of play relies a lot more on his stamina and his agility around the court than Federer. Federer appears to exert a lot less energy during his matches and has also never faced any serious injuries during his career, Nadal on the other hand has had a lot of trouble with his knees.

I don't think it's been a sudden loss of confidence, it's something that has happened over quite a long period of time. He hasn't won a Grand Slam or a Masters event for well over a year now and as you can see from my previous post, the sort of people who have managed to beat him this year, others will get confidence that they can beat him too. Four or five years ago, hardly anyone apart from Federer, Djokovic or Murray would have truly believed that they could win a match against Rafael Nadal. Now people are doing it on a regular basis so it will help others in the future.

Once that feeling of invincibility goes, it's not easy to regain.

Your analysis is much better than the guys on ESPN! All they seem to argue about is whether he needs a new coach.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2015, 08:43 PM
So it will be Williams v Williams on Tuesday in the women's quarter finals.

It will be interesting to see if Venus can stop Serena from winning the calendar year Grand Slam.

PatHead
06-09-2015, 10:42 PM
See Murray is 2nd on Louis Armstrong tomorrow. Any idea what time he will be on?

Edit

Just seen on BBC that Murray is expected on court around 8.00pm. Take it that is again the hottest part of the day over there. He has been so unlucky with the draws and it gives me a dilemma as to Scotland Germany or Murray.

Anyway think Murray will win in 4 sets.

Federer to play in the late game after Konta.

Good luck Konta.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 06:57 PM
See Murray is 2nd on Louis Armstrong tomorrow. Any idea what time he will be on?

Edit

Just seen on BBC that Murray is expected on court around 8.00pm. Take it that is again the hottest part of the day over there. He has been so unlucky with the draws and it gives me a dilemma as to Scotland Germany or Murray.

Anyway think Murray will win in 4 sets.

Federer to play in the late game after Konta.

Good luck Konta.

Lisicki and Halep is only early in the second set just now and Lisicki is a set up so if Halep's going to come back, it could be another hour before Murray's on.

heretoday
07-09-2015, 07:40 PM
There's a heat break at the moment. What a difference in atmosphere between this and Wimbledon! Loud rock music belting out and folk running up and down the stairs.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 08:43 PM
There's a heat break at the moment. What a difference in atmosphere between this and Wimbledon! Loud rock music belting out and folk running up and down the stairs.

It's just not the same.

You can't beat the buzz that you get being on the Centre Court of Wimbledon. I was in awe of the place, the first time I went there.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Murray has just started against Anderson. Nicely timed after the football!

PatHead
07-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Anderson getting into this game. Held his serve to love in the last 2 service games.

4-4

PatHead
07-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Into a tie break. Anderson is playing well.

PatHead
07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
1st set Anderson

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Anderson takes the first set on a tie break.

PatHead
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Not as though Murray is playing badly just can't shake him off.

PatHead
07-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Anderson broken Murray now 3 0 in 2nd set. I am a bit worried about Murray here.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Big game for Murray there to come back from 0-30.

Anderson still with the break though at 3-1.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Anderson serving for the second set at 5-1.

Not looking good right now.

PatHead
07-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Anderson is doing to Murray what you would expect Murray to do to Anderson.

5 1 Anderson in second set and at this stage I can't see a way back for Murray.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Anderson goes two sets up, winning the second set 6-3.

Speedy
07-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Murray not happy

GreenLake
07-09-2015, 10:55 PM
He isn't going to keep coming back from 2 sets down.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Murray not happy

Certainly was not. Quick thinking by Sky to pull the cameras away before things got too extreme! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Anderson breaks at the start of the third set.

Looks like this will be a straight sets job.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Murray breaks back, come on!

GreenLake
07-09-2015, 11:10 PM
This is like pulling teeth. One break back for Murray

Sir David Gray
07-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Murray breaks again to go 3-1 up!

Sir David Gray
08-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Murray takes the third set on a tie break. I was hoping to be in my bed by now!

GreenLake
08-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Just 5pm here but I suspect a bottle will be opened shortly. What a horrible game which seems to involve every lucky break going against Murray and an opponent who is managing to hit every first serve in hard and fast.

Murray had that little net drop in the tie break which might signal a turn of fortune.

weecounty hibby
08-09-2015, 12:42 AM
I'm going to be totally knackered at work today!! Just can't go to bed till the end of the match and think it could go all the way. I'm up at 6😴😴😴

weecounty hibby
08-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Baws. Night night!!

Sir David Gray
08-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Anderson wins in four sets.

Good luck to him but Murray will be really disappointed with his performance.

Bed time for me, up in 6 hours!

GreenLake
08-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Anderson wins in four sets.

Good luck to him but Murray will be really disappointed with his performance.

Bed time for me, up in 6 hours!

Anderson will get wiped in his next game like Fognini did after beating Nadal. I really hope Wawrinka beats him or Federer will sail through to the final.

Djokovic vs Tsonga and Federer vs Wawrinka are the best match ups I can hope for on Friday. I'll be backing Tsonga and Wawrinka.

GreenLake
08-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Saw Murray's post match interview and he seemed very disappointed but acknowledge that Anderson served very well and was tough to play against tonight. It seems like he faced this guy on a night when he played extremely well and had the luck run for him.

I would have loved to see Andy in the semifinal but will for sure see him at Indian Wells next year where we can attend more tournament days.

Murray is still a legend in my eyes for winning Wimbledon, Olympic Gold and the US Open. :not worth Plus he is a Hibs fan! :flag:

Have a nice rest Andy and get even better!

heretoday
08-09-2015, 06:48 AM
He has had a good year after injury last year. We are lucky to have him.

Golden Bear
08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
i wonder if World Tennis will be dominated by 6'9" giants in years to come? These guys must have a massive advantage when it comes to the serve and it will undoubtedly help to mask other aspects of the game where they may not be so good.

GreenLake
09-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Tsonga beat by Cilic.

Sir David Gray
09-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Big hurdle cleared last night by Serena Williams as she beat her sister Venus in three sets and her goal of a calendar year Grand Slam is still on course.

I can't see her losing to Roberta Vinci in the semis and then she'll likely play either Simona Halep or Victoria Azarenka in the final and they are currently playing just now with the match looking like it will possibly go to one set all, although Halep has just broken back and she is serving at 4-5 in the second set and is a set up.

The winner of that one plays Flavia Pennetta in the last four.

Roger Federer takes on Richard Gasquet a little later on for a men's semi final place.

Sir David Gray
10-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Cracking semi final in prospect as Roger Federer plays Stan Wawrinka tomorrow. In the other semi Novak Djokovic plays last year's champion Marin Cilic.

I'm hoping for a Federer win but I think Djokovic will win the tournament. Federer has been in top form so far though. I watched a bit of his match against Richard Gasquet last night and he was immense.

You really wouldn't think that he's coming to the end of his career if you watch him play right now. He's still easily the second best player in the world and whilst he obviously won't win every match he plays, I would still back him to win pretty much every match he plays except against Djokovic.

The women's semis are played later on tonight however bad weather is expected in New York later on so there's a chance those matches may be delayed or even postponed.

GreenLake
11-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Cracking semi final in prospect as Roger Federer plays Stan Wawrinka tomorrow. In the other semi Novak Djokovic plays last year's champion Marin Cilic.

I'm hoping for a Federer win but I think Djokovic will win the tournament. Federer has been in top form so far though. I watched a bit of his match against Richard Gasquet last night and he was immense.

You really wouldn't think that he's coming to the end of his career if you watch him play right now. He's still easily the second best player in the world and whilst he obviously won't win every match he plays, I would still back him to win pretty much every match he plays except against Djokovic.

The women's semis are played later on tonight however bad weather is expected in New York later on so there's a chance those matches may be delayed or even postponed.

We are most looking forward to watching Wawrinka against Federer and hope Stan plays really well since like you pointed out Roger is playing great. Men's semis have been pushed back a couple of hours due to the rain delay rescheduling the ladies semis to this morning. We can still use our tickets for general admission at 11AM EST but we won't get into Arthur Ashe Stadium until the ladies are done. At least the rain has stopped.

Sir David Gray
11-09-2015, 06:58 PM
The calendar year Grand Slam dream is all over for Serena Williams as Roberta Vinci comes from behind to reach the final.

It will be an all Italian final tomorrow as Vinci plays Flavia Pennetta.

Sir David Gray
11-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Looks like Novak Djokovic will be getting a pretty easy passage into the final. He won the first set against Marin Cilic 6-0 although it's 1-1 in the second set.

Sir David Gray
11-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Djokovic demolishes Cilic 6-0 6-1 6-2.

Hopefully the second semi between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka will be slightly more competitive.

GreenLake
12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Djokovic demolishes Cilic 6-0 6-1 6-2.

Hopefully the second semi between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka will be slightly more competitive.

Unfortunately it was another whitewash.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately it was another whitewash.

Couldn't stay up for much of it, only caught a few games in the first set before going to bed.

I gather that Federer was immense though and I really hope that tomorrow's final is a classic.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2015, 09:29 PM
As acceptance speeches go, Flavia Pennetta's was up there as one of the best!

She beat Roberta Vinci 7-6 6-2 to win her first Grand Slam title and afterwards, when she was thanking her team and the organisers etc, she announced to the world that she was retiring from tennis with immediate effect!

Good luck to her, it's a good way to bow out.

Sir David Gray
13-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Really looking forward to tonight's men's final with the greatest of all time up against the world number one. It has the potential to be a classic.

Hope it goes to five sets, head says Djokovic but hoping for a Federer win. He's certainly playing some of the best tennis of his career right now.

It starts shortly on Sky Sports 1 for anyone who's interested.

Sir David Gray
13-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Really looking forward to tonight's men's final with the greatest of all time up against the world number one. It has the potential to be a classic.

Hope it goes to five sets, head says Djokovic but hoping for a Federer win. He's certainly playing some of the best tennis of his career right now.

It starts shortly on Sky Sports 1 for anyone who's interested.

Or maybe not.

It's raining in New York just now and it's possibly going to last for around an hour and a half.

That could mean the match lasts until early morning UK time. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
13-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Still no play at the US Open final.

I don't think I'm going to be able to watch this. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
14-09-2015, 12:05 AM
First set to Djokovic, 6-4.

Off to bed now, I'm going to record it and try to avoid the score all day and then watch it when I come in from work. I'll see how that works out!

I think Djokovic will win in straight sets now.

Sir David Gray
14-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Well my plan didn't quite work out!

I went to record it just after my post when i started to get a no satellite signal being received message through my Sky box. I waited a few minutes but nothing happened so I couldn't record it.

Not surprised that Djokovic won, he's had a great year and I think he'll be number one for many years to come.

Sir David Gray
14-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Did anyone else watch the match this morning?

GreenLake
19-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Did anyone else watch the match this morning?

I got back from LAX just in time to watch all of it live on TV and was amazed Roger didn't win since he gave himself many break point chances. Roger missed a lot of shots and he must be devastated.

Djokovic was reeling at some points and I think he thought he was going to get beat but never gave up.

I have not seen so many break points saved in a final before and you have to hand it to Djokovic. He is going to win a lot more titles.