PDA

View Full Version : Warburton to block national call-ups at Ibrox

emerald green
30-08-2015, 10:32 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/mark-warburton-to-block-national-call-ups-at-ibrox-1-3872704

Warburton said: "I stopped a couple. Well... not stopped a couple...but we worked with the various associations."

Discuss.

Keith_M
30-08-2015, 10:45 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/mark-warburton-to-block-national-call-ups-at-ibrox-1-3872704

Warburton said: "I stopped a couple. Well... not stopped a couple...but we worked with the various associations."

Discuss.

That's another fine Ibrox tradition he's learned. Rangers blocked players going on international duty for decades.

At least he's being honest about it, as they previously claimed injuries/illness that mysteriously cleared up by their next game.

E10 Rifle
30-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Warburton is perfect for Rangers

Smartie
30-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Discuss.

I'd be disgusted if any Hibs manager ever stood in the way of any player representing his country - any country. Doesn't matter if it is U18s, a friendly or whatever, you should be encouraging and supportive of all your players and their ambitions.

We've probably paid the price once or twice with the likes of Malonga and Bamba going the ANC but it doesn't bother me - the fact that they have done enough to get selected whilst playing for your club is a feather in the cap for the club.

It makes Warburton look like an idiot and reflects badly on that hideous club.

J-C
30-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Must admit if I was a player and my manager blocked me from playing for my country, I'd be none too happy, wonder what his players are thinking about this.

DH1875
30-08-2015, 11:14 AM
I thought that if a player was called up they had to go. Even some injured players in the past have had to go to prove they were injured have they not?

GreenLake
30-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Perhaps his players should watch this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455275/).

500miles
30-08-2015, 11:28 AM
International friendlies should certainly take a back seat to competitive domestic football.

Leagues and national bodies should be working together to make sure that domestic football and full international matches don't conflict in the first place. However, the domestic teams pay the wages, do the majority of the training and the rehab when players get injured, so they should take priority when such conflicts arise IMO.

s.a.m
30-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I thought that if a player was called up they had to go. Even some injured players in the past have had to go to prove they were injured have they not?

I thought so too. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read that if a player is called, doesn't go, and is not able to prove that they are injured, they can be stopped from playing their next domestic match.:dunno:

Eyrie
30-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Being selfish, I'd prefer that our players only get called up if they are actually going to play rather than simply being part of an international squad. Going away to train with their country is just disruptive. If they're not playing for their country then it would be better for Hibs to have them here as part of our squad, getting a couple of days off before resuming training with their teammates.

The Leith Dutch
30-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Standard procedure at the OF - especially the hun.

Make it mandatory to miss the next league game to make sure the "injury" is properly cleared up.
Course that would require a governing body that isn't in the pockets of the OF......

The Leith Dutch
30-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Also more importantly - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34040001

Good luck blocking your players from playing for a team they didn't get selected for because they're all utter mince ya hun plum.

Cabbage East
30-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Bet they wouldn't stop them playing for a Team GB.

Horrendous backwards mutants.

Northernhibee
30-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Bet they wouldn't stop them playing for a Team GB.

Horrendous backwards mutants.

Daft comment based on nothing at all whatsoever.

What we should do is allow our players all international call-ups - U21s, U18s etc. and use that to entice more good young players to Hibs - good training facilities, big team and the chance to play for your countries.

Hibrandenburg
31-08-2015, 06:45 AM

What we should do is allow our players all international call-ups - U21s, U18s etc. and use that to entice more good young players to Hibs - good training facilities, big team and the chance to play for your countries.

Add to that that their price tag also takes a hike and your 100% on the ball

majorhibs
31-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Being selfish, I'd prefer that our players only get called up if they are actually going to play rather than simply being part of an international squad. Going away to train with their country is just disruptive. If they're not playing for their country then it would be better for Hibs to have them here as part of our squad, getting a couple of days off before resuming training with their teammates.

Really dont get this viewpoint at all! Players, particularly younger in the 19s/21s, would benefit so much to a change of coaching/teammates/style/tempo the list goes on. Does everybody else have this viewpoint? Surely the bigger picture has to be that international duty for ANY Hibs player is nothing other than a huge plus for Hibs? No brainer for me.

yekimevol
31-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Its illegal under fifa rules to block a player being called up for his country isnt it ?

hhibs
31-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Sorry, daft comment in what way?

I agree with your second sentence but cannot understand your first.

Northernhibee
31-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Sorry, daft comment in what way?

I agree with your second sentence but cannot understand your first.

Well, there's no such thing as a Team GB. The one time that there was for the 2012 olympics they didn't come out to say that their players were eligible one way or another.

Eyrie
31-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Really dont get this viewpoint at all! Players, particularly younger in the 19s/21s, would benefit so much to a change of coaching/teammates/style/tempo the list goes on. Does everybody else have this viewpoint? Surely the bigger picture has to be that international duty for ANY Hibs player is nothing other than a huge plus for Hibs? No brainer for me.

It is if they're playing.

mca
31-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Its illegal under fifa rules to block a player being called up for his country isnt it ?

But The Manager Telling You - Your Dropped if you Go !! Doesn't Happen Either.. :wink:

majorhibs
31-08-2015, 09:58 PM
It is if they're playing.

I defer to your obviously vast experience of what is required in the development of young players. Your experience shines through.