PDA

View Full Version : Our formation today

Jones28
29-08-2015, 11:43 PM
What was it? Me and a mate in the east couldn't for the life of us figure out what it was? What we did see showed us to be very narrow and have no one coming wide for a cross field or long ball out from the defence which would have carved them up at times.

Brightside
29-08-2015, 11:44 PM

GreenOnions
29-08-2015, 11:54 PM
What was it? Me and a mate in the east couldn't for the life of us figure out what it was? What we did see showed us to be very narrow and have no one coming wide for a cross field or long ball out from the defence which would have carved them up at times.

Our full-backs tried to fulfil this role but were both poor going forward today

Onceinawhile
29-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Changed to 3-5-2 for the last ten minutes.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2015, 12:36 AM
4 - Grey Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson
1 - Bartley
2 - McGeough McGinn
1 - Henderson
2 - Keatings Cummings

Changed it up later on when subs were made though.

KWJ
30-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Our full-backs tried to fulfil this role but were both poor going forward today

First half yeah, 2nd half better. Lewis couldn't seem to get anything right going forward first half, fair play to him though because it was a marked improvement in 2nd and set up Cummings goal.

B.H.F.C
30-08-2015, 07:10 AM
First half yeah, 2nd half better. Lewis couldn't seem to get anything right going forward first half, fair play to him though because it was a marked improvement in 2nd and set up Cummings goal.

Keatings set that up by flicking it on. His touch took it away from tht defender or don't think it would have reached Cummings.

SeanWilson
31-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Its been the same since pre season... doesnt matter who is playing across the middle, it looks like they all have a free role... mental!

Alan62
31-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Its been the same since pre season... doesnt matter who is playing across the middle, it looks like they all have a free role... mental!

I don't think its an entirely 'free role'. The centre midfielders (other than defensive mid) have the freedom to move around but each has to be aware of the others' movement. So they'll swap sides frequently but quickly fill in for each other if there is a gap. Clearly, Dylan McGeouch also has a role to drop deeper and collect the ball from the centre backs when necessary.

If the full backs don't get forward, there is a lack of width, no doubt about that, but we do have options within the squad and I think the formation will change frequently depending on the opposition. Keeps them guessing.

liamh2202
31-08-2015, 02:48 PM

A fluid system is mental?

SeanWilson
31-08-2015, 02:52 PM
A fluid system is mental?

Its not a fluid system though, is it? I've seen them every game bar one since the summer and it looks as though the midfiled just do whatever the hell they want... no structure and no purpose... now i am sure AS is not sending them out to just wander about randomly, however it looks to me like a clear lack of cohesion across the middle.....

Or maybe i'm just mental :greengrin

Smartie
31-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I didn't make a point of looking on Saturday but it is always interesting to see the way the players line up when the opposition are taking a goal kick (not short as this can pull you out of position but when they are punting it up the park).

Against Stranraer it was definitely 4-3-1-2.

The back four were in their regular positions with McGeoch, McGinn and Fyvie all standing in a row in front of them. Henderson was central in front of them with Boyle and Cummings up top.

To me it looked similar on Saturday only with Bartley being deeper than McGinn and McGeoch with Henderson just behind the strikers.

Totally off topic but one of the highlights on Saturday was during the second half, just after Scott Martin had gone on. We had soaked up a bit of pressure and were looking to hit them on the break and had the ball on the left. Having bemoaned our inability/unwillingness in the past to get a midfielder beyond the strikers it was great to see young Scott make an 80 yard sprint, absolutely full pelt to get up beyond the man with the ball and get beside the strikers. Certainly gave their defenders a bit more to think about - well done that man!

Smartie
31-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Its not a fluid system though, is it? I've seen them every game bar one since the summer and it looks as though the midfiled just do whatever the hell they want... no structure and no purpose... now i am sure AS is not sending them out to just wander about randomly, however it looks to me like a clear lack of cohesion across the middle.....

Too rigid a system is equally mental though and quite easy to play against. You need to have a certain amount of fluidity and an ability to mix it up.

bod
31-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Hopefully by the time the opposing managers figure it out we'll be 3 or 4 up

J-C
31-08-2015, 04:53 PM

In the diamond last season Robertson was the holding mid, in front you had Allan, McGeouch and Fyvie all literally moving around from left to right. When Fyvie went right, McGeouch or Allan filled in the middle and the same when one of them went left, they just filled in the gap when there was one, works great when all players know what they are doing as the opposition can't man mark them. Unfortunately Robertson used to forget he was the holding mid and he was caught many times too far up field and gaps were left.

Jones28
31-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Personally I wasn't convinced, felt there was a lot of space that could've been exposed. But the 3 points are what matters and if that works for us then I'll take it!

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2015, 05:54 PM
In the diamond last season Robertson was the holding mid, in front you had Allan, McGeouch and Fyvie all literally moving around from left to right. When Fyvie went right, McGeouch or Allan filled in the middle and the same when one of them went left, they just filled in the gap when there was one, works great when all players know what they are doing as the opposition can't man mark them. Unfortunately Robertson used to forget he was the holding mid and he was caught many times too far up field and gaps were left.Don't remember this happening at all, was Allan who never bothered to track back that left gaps. Robertson was also our only goalthreat from midfield.

J-C
31-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Don't remember this happening at all, was Allan who never bothered to track back that left gaps. Robertson was also our only goalthreat from midfield.

Not talking about tracking back, Robertson was the holing midfielder and at times he charged forward where he did get a few goals, unfortunately he forgot he was the holding player and left holes, opinions eh. Allan I must admit frustrated me when lost the ball he wouldn't track back in a hurry to get it back.