PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McGeouch v Scott Allan

Carheenlea
29-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I think we are going to end up with the better player here.

keep the faith
29-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't think that will be the case but think he will be a big player for us.

Unseen work
29-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I really rate dylan but for me allan is much better. Different types of players however.

Who has impressed me the most though is Mcginn, great signing and on a 4 year contract.

The 3 of mcginn Fyvie and mcgeouch are all young and very good who can earn us alot of money from transfers. I know people don't like thinking about selling on players, but it is a business

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Not sure about that, but he is a more than adequate replacement for a player who clearly wanted to be somewhere else.

Jim44
29-08-2015, 04:36 PM
I think we are going to end up with the better player here.

I think Allan is a better player but, given the uncertainly of his future, I think we have got the best deal.

My_Wife_Camille
29-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Scott Allan is streets ahead of Dylan McGeouch just now

KeithTheHibby
29-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I think Dylan will flourish now that Allan has left.

tamig
29-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I really rate dylan but for me allan is much better. Different types of players however.

Who has impressed me the most though is Mcginn, great signing and on a 4 year contract.

The 3 of mcginn Fyvie and mcgeouch are all young and very good who can earn us alot of money from transfers. I know people don't like thinking about selling on players, but it is a business

How's it going Rod? ☺

Iain G
29-08-2015, 05:33 PM
I was more impressed with McGeouch in games i saw last season than Allan. Very pleased we managed to get him signed.

MWHIBBIES
29-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Scott Allan is streets ahead of Dylan McGeouch just now:faf: No, he really isn't.

ancient hibee
29-08-2015, 05:36 PM
:faf: No, he really isn't.

Yes he really is.

29-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Totally agree on all points.

McGinn is a really exciting player and was certainly my MoTM today :thumbsup:

Northernhibee
29-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Attitude comes into the quality of a player as well. Dylan is the more valuable as a result. Just watch Scott Allan find himself out of favour sooner than you think.

MileHighBees
29-08-2015, 05:43 PM
McGeouch, along with McGinn, were the main reasons for our fast start today and Hibs completely dominating the first 30/35 minutes of the game.
Easily the best 2 outfield players on the park.
Close call for man of the match with McGinn maybe just shading it.
:top marks

Did Scott Allan get a few minutes on the park today for Celtc ?
Couldn't care less, personally :greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Scott Allan's the better player but McGeouch wants to play for Hibs, Allan didn't so that will do for me.

bingo70
29-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Scott Allan is the better player and more creative but he isn't a team player.

Imo we could potentially be a better team with Mcgeoch in Allans role.

If that makes sense, I think it does but if not I know what I mean!

Vini1875
29-08-2015, 06:08 PM
That is the point, we will be a better team with McGeouch because the midfield acts more like a unit and as one player dips in a game another can push on. Also McGeouch trys to gee up the players around him.

Pretty Boy
29-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Allan is a better individual player.

McGeough, and McGinn, are better players for the team.

Billy Whizz
29-08-2015, 06:14 PM

I agree, I also thought when they played together they kept too much of the ball between them. Think we have a better balance to the team with only one of them playing

SquashedFrogg
29-08-2015, 06:19 PM

This for me. McGeough played well as playmaker today - getting it deep and starting moves. Though McGinn was terrific. Bartley too worth a mention today.

PeterboroHibee
29-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Its too early to say whether McGeough will be a better player than Allan, but I do think we have a better midfield overall this season and wont be so reliant on one player. Based on todays performances of McGinn and McGeough I certainly dont think we will miss Allan!

jacomo
29-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Its too early to say whether McGeough will be a better player than Allan, but I do think we have a better midfield overall this season and wont be so reliant on one player. Based on todays performances of McGinn and McGeough I certainly dont think we will miss Allan!

I think this might well be the case.

Mikey09
29-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Totally agree on all points.

McGinn is a really exciting player and was certainly my MoTM today :thumbsup:

I thought Paul Hanlon was fantastic today. Dealt with Daly with ease. BTW how pish are Raith?!

Shrekko
29-08-2015, 07:11 PM
I take it the definition of 'better' = 'silkier'?

Dylan has plenty skill himself but MANY other attributes as does McGinn.

chinaman
29-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Whose Scott Allan ???☺☺☺

Andy74
29-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Whose Scott Allan ???☺☺☺

Celtic's one.

jabis
29-08-2015, 07:33 PM
How many minutes of first team football have they both had since there transfers?
Genuine interest!

Sir David Gray
29-08-2015, 07:42 PM
How many minutes of first team football have they both had since there transfers?
Genuine interest!

McGeouch - 209 minutes
Allan - 35 minutes

PeterboroHibee
29-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Genuine interest!

McGeough has played approximately 2 1/2 games. Allan has had two 15 min sub appearances in the league.

jabis
29-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Cheers for that .
No contest then😁

SquashedFrogg
29-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Celtic's one.

:tsk tsk: :tee hee:

murray26
29-08-2015, 07:45 PM
I thought Dylan was excellent today.. My man of the match..

LaMotta
29-08-2015, 08:10 PM
I thought Dylan was excellent today.. My man of the match..

Agreed, best player on the pitch for me , with Oxley and McGinn not far behind.

whiskyhibby
29-08-2015, 08:23 PM
I thought Dylan was MOM today, great going forward and a number of really important stops when Raith were threatening, worked his socks off

Mibbes Aye
29-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Last season, long before we had an inkling about the Allan summer saga, I was happy to post that I would much rather keep McGeouch than Allan, if it was a straight choice. A few others agreed, most didn't.

No change IMO. Allan is capable of a sublime pass, the kind that very few players in the country can see. That's all fine and well but the reality is that trying the Hollywood pass cost us possession on a regular basis. I'd rather keep the ball than hear "Oooohs" and "Aaaahs" at a supremely pretty ball that didn't end up at the feet of a Hibs player.

McGeouch, while a very good player, doesn't have the same creative touch that Allan has. More importantly though, he seems to have the ability to work as a sort of metronome for the team, regulating the pace and the direction.

Players like Allan are rare and it's obvious why. Players like McGeouch are rare too, but it's less obvious why, because they don't do the stuff that shows up and looks great on the highlights package. Nevertheless, it's his energy and craft that provides the platform for us to finish from.

Really really happy we recognised what DMcG gave us last season and managed to bring him here properly.

SquashedFrogg
29-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Last season, long before we had an inkling about the Allan summer saga, I was happy to post that I would much rather keep McGeouch than Allan, if it was a straight choice. A few others agreed, most didn't.

No change IMO. Allan is capable of a sublime pass, the kind that very few players in the country can see. That's all fine and well but the reality is that trying the Hollywood pass cost us possession on a regular basis. I'd rather keep the ball than hear "Oooohs" and "Aaaahs" at a supremely pretty ball that didn't end up at the feet of a Hibs player.

McGeouch, while a very good player, doesn't have the same creative touch that Allan has. More importantly though, he seems to have the ability to work as a sort of metronome for the team, regulating the pace and the direction.

Players like Allan are rare and it's obvious why. Players like McGeouch are rare too, but it's less obvious why, because they don't do the stuff that shows up and looks great on the highlights package. Nevertheless, it's his energy and craft that provides the platform for us to finish from.

Really really happy we recognised what DMcG gave us last season and managed to bring him here properly.

Perfect :agree:

Carheenlea
29-08-2015, 08:44 PM
McGeouch should improve with age and experience, as will Scott Allan, but whether Scott Allan gets the game time to do that remains to be seen. It is more McGeouch`s all round game that makes me feel we will in time, end up with the better player. I`d love to see how many yards he covers in a game as he is all over the park - either helping out defensively or looking for the ball to carry forward. I enjoyed watching Scott Allan, but I think I might enjoy watching McGeouch this season even more.

Twiglet
29-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Scott Allan is the better player and more creative but he isn't a team player.

Imo we could potentially be a better team with Mcgeoch in Allans role.

If that makes sense, I think it does but if not I know what I mean!

:agree: Makes sense to me.

Allan had this annoying habit of getting the ball, going on a run and end up being dispossessed, McGeouch, however, will generally pass before he gets to the point that he's going to lose the ball

monktonharp
29-08-2015, 09:41 PM
I think we are going to end up with the better player here.agree. he will be better for us, as he is or looks more like a team player. Allan, is a bit of class but for me he tends to be more individual, and a bit of a showboat at times. I know nowt about his personality but he seems the type to make hassle all around him, to get what he wants. he was not innocent, at his previous Scottish club, to get his move south. too much like a bairn that demands the best pair o' trainers in the school, and tells all his pals about the great car his Da has. will come a cropper, wi a sair face yin day.:wink:

monktonharp
29-08-2015, 09:46 PM
McGeouch should improve with age and experience, as will Scott Allan, but whether Scott Allan gets the game time to do that remains to be seen. It is more McGeouch`s all round game that makes me feel we will in time, end up with the better player. I`d love to see how many yards he covers in a game as he is all over the park - either helping out defensively or looking for the ball to carry forward. I enjoyed watching Scott Allan, but I think I might enjoy watching McGeouch this season even more. my first comment was as soon as I saw your post. having read back, to other posts, a lot on here have the same feelings about who we are glad to have, instead of Mr Allan.

GreenLake
30-08-2015, 01:51 AM
McGeouch will be the better player by the end of this season. Scott Allan will get close to zilch playing time for Celtic and will try to force a move to the huns.

Danderhall Hibs
30-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Agreed - I got slated by loads on here for suggesting it last season. It was seen as a criticism of the golden boy rather than how you've just put it.

Eyrie
30-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Allan was a great player for us in his brief time here, but I felt that there was a tendency for his teammates to give him the ball and see what he would do with it rather than taking responsibility themselves.

I think this could end up being addition by subtraction, with the whole team working better together rather than relying on one individual.

hibee_girl
30-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Totally agree, I've said all along I'd rather have McGeouch than Allan if we had to choose

erin go bragh
30-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Celtic bought Allan . Sold McGeuch to us .
This tells a story . As much as I hate the way SA treated us , he is a leval above DM .

GGTTH

Borderhibbie76
30-08-2015, 01:11 PM
This tells a story . As much as I hate the way SA treated us , he is a leval above DM .

GGTTH

They are totally different players but i would honestly rather have Dylan... Offers more to the team and wants to be here... Nuff said

Frogga
30-08-2015, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't have swapped Allan for McGeough but I'm very pleased with the fact that we got a very good young player in McGeough, plus Henderson & cash. And the cherry on top was that it wound up Rangers :top marks

Kato
30-08-2015, 08:32 PM

GGTTH

That's probably true. However if you step up a level you may have teams that can afford to back up a player who "guilds the lily". What we need is product at a lower level, we are playing teams who have industrious journeymen mixed with talent and numpties. A more straightforward approach might get the job done. Dylan et al might bring more product this season in this League than Allen would have pulling the strings. We certainly didn't have enough last season with him around. Allen was fantastic to watch though.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2015, 09:33 PM

GGTTHWhat does Allan do a level above McGeough aside from he is more creative?

RedHibby
30-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Looks like SA is turning into a bench warmer at Celtic. He did not look a happy camper sat on the bench against St Johnstone.

WeeRussell
30-08-2015, 10:28 PM
What does Allan do a level above McGeough aside from he is more creative?

First touch, passing, vision, close control. I agree with what most would say - rather have Dylan when he wants to play for us than Allan not wanting to be here; but Allan was the best footballer in the league up until he left.

Don't like him anymore, but not gonna start pretending he wasn't all that good just cos he doesn't play for us now.

marleyhib
30-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Thought both were excellent first half of last season unfortunately Dylan got injured and didn't regain his early form. Allan's passing and vision is undoubtedly better than Dylan's but often his end product final pass was poor. A few Celtic fans I know said we'd got a cracking player when we got Dylan last season, I have to agree, delighted to have him back, a real asset. Can't help thinking Celtic bought Allen cos he was very cheap for them and to p**s off the huns

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-08-2015, 12:51 AM
First touch, passing, vision, close control. I agree with what most would say - rather have Dylan when he wants to play for us than Allan not wanting to be here; but Allan was the best footballer in the league up until he left.

Don't like him anymore, but not gonna start pretending he wasn't all that good just cos he doesn't play for us now.

That's fair enough, but Dylan's willingness to carry the ball and commit the oppositions midfield, tracking back and all round effort makes him a more valuable asset to us in the position we find ourselves. He also manages to find a high level of performance consistently whereas Allan blew hot and cold.

No sour grapes here. Scott Allan is a very gifted laddie, but there is a reason he didn't make it in the EPL. I reckoned last season that we needed Dylan more than Allan due to playing a narrow midfield and I stand by that.

Nutmegged
31-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Two very different players, Allan is a very good footballer and his vision is his greatest asset, McGeouch is also a good footballer, probably not as good as Allan but his work rate.and work ethic are second to none, they complimented each other well last Season.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2015, 01:57 AM

Don't like him anymore, but not gonna start pretending he wasn't all that good just cos he doesn't play for us now.I'm not actually pretending that, I preferred McGeough all of last season. Far better defensively, more of a team player, better decision making, retains possession much better (Allan was woeful in this regard) and actually tracks back if he loses it. Said all summer to family/friends that I'd have taken cash + plus McGeough, turns out we done better.