PDA

View Full Version : Early Goal...

Stuarty27
29-08-2015, 07:47 AM
When was the last time we scored a goal in the first ten minutes of a game at Easter Road??

That is the key for me. Get an early goal and these teams that park the bus game plan is over and then we can pick them off in the 2nd half.

If we can score early today I fancy us to beat Raith convincingly, we are due a team a pumping.

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-08-2015, 07:54 AM
We don't put people under pressure enough from the kick off.

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Andy74
29-08-2015, 07:54 AM
We should try kicking down the way first.

Libby Hibby
29-08-2015, 07:56 AM

"And on the day that 67-year-old Norwich resident Mary Leese has woken from a three-year coma, we’ll be asking – what’s the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had?"

Funny, I think we did against both Dunbarton and Stranraer but not scoring in this period in both games put us under pressure...we need to score when we are on top early on to settle the team and fans down

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Early goal........a goal anytime would do me, but yes it would be nice to get off to a great start and give everyone a lift. Once again it's Saturday and I will enter Easter road full of my usual enthusiasm, it's that feeling on the way out I want to rid myself of.

Lucius Apuleius
29-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Can't make it today so guaranteed to score a few 😁

Pretty Boy
29-08-2015, 08:24 AM

I disagree with this.

The first 10-15 minutes on Wednesday was our best of the game. That was often the case las season as well imo. The problem seems to be that if we don't get an early goal the players tend to drop back into a 'comfort zone' of slow tempo and safe passes and the management team may be guilty of not doing enough to change that.

FromTheCapital
29-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I disagree with this.

The first 10-15 minutes on Wednesday was our best of the game. That was often the case las season as well imo. The problem seems to be that if we don't get an early goal the players tend to drop back into a 'comfort zone' of slow tempo and safe passes and the management team may be guilty of not doing enough to change that.

Agree with this.

But could it may be fitness? Now I'm not saying that we tire after 15 minutes, I'm saying that does our fitness levels affect the intensity of our game because we have enough top quality players to be beating teams like Raith 4 or 5 nil if we play at a high tempo.

I think we'll do well today and hopefully, Keatings will get himself off the mark too.

3-0 Hibs[emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
29-08-2015, 08:53 AM
We scored early versus the zombies . Didn't work out too well .:(

GGTTH

Keith_M
29-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Funny, I think we did against both Dunbarton and Stranraer but not scoring in this period in both games put us under pressure...we need to score when we are on top early on to settle the team and fans down

I thought we conceded against Dumbarton after about 15 seconds.

Michael
29-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Are we sure this won't help the opposition? Surely we don't want to take away the pressure of conceding an early goal from them?

Sir David Gray
29-08-2015, 09:05 AM

We didn't really start too well against Dumbarton, we were 1-0 down after about 3 minutes!

Libby Hibby
29-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Apologies, I meant Morton

Stuarty27
29-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Here is an interesting stat...

The only time we scored a goal in the first ten minutes at Easter Road last season was against Rangers and Cowdenbeath and we won both those games 4-0 and 5-0.

SmashinGlass
29-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Here is an interesting stat...

The only time we scored a goal in the first ten minutes at Easter Road last season was against Rangers and Cowdenbeath and we won both those games 4-0 and 5-0.

You wonder if opposition managers are aware of this and hammer it home to their team. "Stifle them at first and the rest will work itself out. They won't shoot from distance." would be the team talk I'd give against us

Keith_M
29-08-2015, 09:29 AM
You wonder if opposition managers are aware of this and hammer it home to their team. "Stifle them at first and the rest will work itself out. They won't shoot from distance." would be the team talk I'd give against us

"...and put crosses into their box, as they can't defend them very well"

emerald green
29-08-2015, 09:55 AM
we have enough top quality players to be beating teams like Raith 4 or 5 nil if we play at a high tempo.

I think we'll do well today and hopefully, Keatings will get himself off the mark too.

3-0 Hibs[emoji106]

You might be right, and I hope so. But that would be Raith Rovers who beat Premier league Hamilton during the week. Hamilton currently sitting 4th in the Premier league.

I wouldn't be too dismissive of "teams like Raith". Hibs will have to play exceptionally well, take most of their chances, and not concede a goal, to win 4 or 5 nil.

portyhibernian
29-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Agree with OP, only when teams come out of their own half do we ever look like creating anything. That being said I actually think Raith Rovers might fancy their chances and have a go at us, making the game more open which suits us IMO. Thinking 3-1 Hibs today.

Heisenberg
29-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Raith are one of the better teams in the league and have a very good recent record at ER. Won't be an easy game.

Smartie
29-08-2015, 10:41 AM
I think we've generally started games well (apart from losing the early goal at Dumbarton). After losing the early goal at Dumbarton we went on to pummel them for the whole first half and only fell out the game in the second half.

I agree that our best spell the other night was the first 10 minutes. McGeoch was getting on the ball and driving with it, we had a lot more urgency, purpose and directness and it was disappointing to see this fall away so early.

I'd be mainly urging the players to try the odd difficult ball and to get the strikers to make the odd bizarre, unpredictable and purposeful run. We need to be much better at finding space and pulling teams around. The players need to know that Scott Allan is not the only player in the world capable of playing a killer ball and he's not the only one who will be allowed to get away with it if it doesn't come off. As fans we need to be patient with the players if they try something in the final third that doesn't come off. Most attacks lead to nothing in a game - you get it right 3 times and you might horse a team 3-0.

There is a tentative air about the team, it's all a bit safe and they need to find the belief that they can open teams up. They'll never know if they're too afraid to try - which I think they do at times.

A mate of mine supports Brechin, they had McKinnon as manager last year. He said that in games against "big teams" he would keep it very tight for an hour or so but really open up later on in the game and try to get at teams then. Raith are no mugs and will be one of our toughest games this season and even when we were playing well at times last season they managed to take points off us. So I also think we (the players, the management AND the fans) need to be pretty patient. Talk of 4 and 5 nil wins is a bit fanciful and there's no way we should be booing the team off if we're not ahead by half-time. Gaps may appear later in the game for us to exploit that aren't there early in the game.

There's a big difference between having high standards/ expectations and heaping unnecessary pressure on the team.

SmashinGlass
29-08-2015, 10:51 AM
"...and put crosses into their box, as they can't defend them very well"

That too, aye.

bingo70
29-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Raith are one of the better teams in the league and have a very good recent record at ER. Won't be an easy game.

I don't disagree with you but we should still be pumping them comfortably imo.

I don't think we will but I think we should.

On a similar note to the op, if we go a goal up I hope Oxley helps keep the intensity up, it really annoys me when he time wastes against these teams when we're one up. Imo that sets the tone for the rest of the team.

AlbertK86
29-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I don't disagree with you but we should still be pumping them comfortably imo. I don't think we will but I think we should. On a similar note to the op, if we go a goal up I hope Oxley helps keep the intensity up, it really annoys me when he time wastes against these teams when we're one up. Imo that sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Totally agree re Oxley ... Sets the tone of luck of urgency

bingo70
29-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Under normal circumstances he'd probably be doing the right thing and I'm sure he's only doing what he's been told to do his whole career, I'm no sure he gets that we should be pumping these teams though and scrappy 1 nils aren't really what's needed.

jingler1954
29-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Totally agree I found it embarrassing against Stranrear on Wed night Oxley time wasting from about 70 mins. We should be able to pressurise teams until the very last minute with our quality and fitness.

Zazu62
29-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I don't care if raith rovers are playing well or whatever. We should be leathering them at Easter road. 3/4 zip.

Pretty Boy
29-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Have we scored yet?

silverhibee
29-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Have we scored yet?

Seemingly 1-1.

bingo70
29-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Seemingly 1-1.

Oxley should have saved it imo

silverhibee
29-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Oxley should have saved it imo

Straight from a throw in for us in there half at the corner flag, not good enough, harsh on Oxley imo, it was 50 yards out, what a hit from Daly.

Diclonius
29-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Nish offside again, get shot of him Stubbsy. :grr:

silverhibee
29-08-2015, 12:52 PM
2-1

Great freekick in to the top corner from the new lad Roardin.

FromTheCapital
29-08-2015, 05:03 PM
You might be right, and I hope so. But that would be Raith Rovers who beat Premier league Hamilton during the week. Hamilton currently sitting 4th in the Premier league.

I wouldn't be too dismissive of "teams like Raith". Hibs will have to play exceptionally well, take most of their chances, and not concede a goal, to win 4 or 5 nil.

2 nil ain't bad[emoji6][emoji23]

emerald green
29-08-2015, 05:08 PM
2 nil ain't bad[emoji6][emoji23]

Yes, I'll settle for that. :aok:

Andy74
29-08-2015, 05:11 PM
We should try kicking down the way first.

Seemed to do the trick.

Famous Fiver
29-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Andy

You can pick the team next time we play!!!