PDA

View Full Version : Paul Cairney Applause.

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 04:23 PM
What was the applause and standing ovation all about for a opposition player last night, seems to be coming a bit of a annoying habit that we applaud a opposition player off the park but give abuse to our own players during games.

It was Paul Cairney, not exactly a Hibs great is he, mind you neither was McFadden but i think he did score a goal in Paris one night, we need to stop this nonsense.

And while I'm at it, why are we applauding the away support when there attendance is announced, why are we even welcoming away supporters to ER, baffling, what happened to lets turn ER in to a fortress and make it as uncomfortable as possible for away teams and supporters.

Still seems to be that soft touch about the club.

No tin hat needed.

3pm
27-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Spark up SdGP and chill out!

hibbymick
27-08-2015, 04:28 PM
we'll be carrying round tea and scones to the away end next.

Smartie
27-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I think anyone that manages to be that fat and get a game for a senior football club is deserving of applause.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 04:32 PM
He ripped Ryan McGowan to pieces on the 1-0 Scottish cup win a few years back. That's worth an applause

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 04:33 PM
some applause for a former player and friendly acknowledgement of Stranraer fans - thats not about "being soft" just some football respect..

Get some Barry White records on and forget the football world for a bit!

Brightside
27-08-2015, 04:34 PM
What was the applause and standing ovation all about for a opposition player last night, seems to be coming a bit of a annoying habit that we applaud a opposition player off the park but give abuse to our own players during games.

It was Paul Cairney, not exactly a Hibs great is he, mind you neither was McFadden but i think he did score a goal in Paris one night, we need to stop this nonsense.

And while I'm at it, why are we applauding the away support when there attendance is announced, why are we even welcoming away supporters to ER, baffling, what happened to lets turn ER in to a fortress and make it as uncomfortable as possible for away teams and supporters.

No tin hat needed.

an awful footballer and a big part of why we ended up in this mess.

I'll happily clap off a player who has put in a top class display. Ive never seen him put one in.

Kojock
27-08-2015, 04:34 PM

I doff my cap to everyone of the 130 odd fans who travelled up from Stranraer last night. Would you prefer they all supported the bigot brothers like many Stranraer locals do? I agree make it uncomfortable for the opposing team on the pitch but I was hoping our players would do that. Why do we want to make a bunch of diehard Stranraer fans uncomfortable?

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 04:36 PM

I'll happily clap off a player who has put in a top class display. Ive never seen him put one in.

nonsense

Jay
27-08-2015, 04:36 PM

No tin hat needed.

I agree, really rips ma knitting :)

Libby Hibby
27-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Moan moan moan moan moan

Pretty Boy
27-08-2015, 04:41 PM
I doff my cap to everyone of the 130 odd fans who travelled up from Stranraer last night. Would you prefer they all supported the bigot brothers like many Stranraer locals do? I agree make it uncomfortable for the opposing team on the pitch but I was hoping our players would do that. Why do we want to make a bunch of diehard Stranraer fans uncomfortable?

'An extra special thanks' to them though?

How about an extra special thanks to the Hibs fans who still bother to turn up every week as opposed to cosying up to away fans.

Shrekko
27-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Nothing wrong with applauding former players or even great players IMO. What annoys me is this thing where every time we're beating a small club at ER that a substituted player is getting a patronising wee hand from the crowd- utterly cringeworthy.

Do agree about the clapping for the away fans when the attendance is announced by the cheesy DJ. More patronising nonsense. We dont announce how many fans Sevco have brought and thank and applaud them so why do it with the smaller teams?

Brightside
27-08-2015, 04:44 PM
nonsense

why? he was shocking, over weight, slow and somehow still managed to get injured. That squad of players that went down had about 8 or 9 truly awful footballers in it.

Oscar T Grouch
27-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Well he got dogs abuse for being a lard ar$e when he came over to the east to take a corner. Did seem kinda strange he got applauded off.

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 04:45 PM
why? he was shocking, over weight, slow and somehow still managed to get injured. That squad of players that went down had about 8 or 9 truly awful footballers in it.

You said he was a big part of the mess we are in...that's exaggerated nonsense.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 04:50 PM
You said he was a big part of the mess we are in...that's exaggerated nonsense.

how is it? Players of that ability should have been nowhere near the club. We went down cause over the course of 3 or 4 years we constantly bought poor players...somehow Fenlon still managed to keep us mid league with those players, but then Butcher came in and actually signed even worse players and down we went. He's not even a stand out for Stranraer!!

Kojock
27-08-2015, 04:51 PM
'An extra special thanks' to them though?

How about an extra special thanks to the Hibs fans who still bother to turn up every week as opposed to cosying up to away fans.

If it makes you feel any better I started applauding when the official attendance was announced in recognition of the Hibs fans who bothered to turn up. I also applauded the Stranraer fans who also made a considerable effort to attend ER, hardly cosying up :rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
I really wish that this issue was at the top of our things to sort out list.

MWHIBBIES
Nothing wrong with applauding a player who gave his all for us. Was far from the worst player during those grim years.

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 04:53 PM
how is it? Players of that ability should have been nowhere near the club. We went down cause over the course of 3 or 4 years we constantly bought poor players...somehow Fenlon still managed to keep us mid league with those players, but then Butcher came in and actually signed even worse players and down we went. He's not even a stand out for Stranraer!!

but that's a completely different point, your original point was specifically about Cairney, not about the high level amount of below standard players we have signed over the last 3 or 4 years...on that I'd agree - to single out Cairney as a "big part" of why we are were are(which you did) was nonsense.

tamig
27-08-2015, 04:54 PM

No tin hat needed.
What's your outburst all about? If you object - don't applaud. Just don't question others for doing so.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 04:55 PM
but that's a completely different point, your original point was specifically about Cairney, not about the high level amount of below standard players we have signed over the last 3 or 4 years...on that I'd agree - to single out Cairney as a "big part" of why we are were are(which you did) was nonsense.

ok - did Paul Cairney do anything to keep us up? Or did he just mess about in training, hang out with his car share pals, and enjoy a few ciders and kebabs at weekends? I'll leave it here but that squad was stinking in attitude and ability.

Pete
27-08-2015, 04:58 PM
ok - did Paul Cairney do anything to keep us up? Or did he just mess about in training, hang out with his car share pals, and enjoy a few ciders and kebabs at weekends? I'll leave it here but that squad was stinking in attitude and ability.

The venga dislikes this.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2015, 04:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better I started applauding when the official attendance was announced in recognition of the Hibs fans who bothered to turn up. I also applauded the Stranraer fans who also made a considerable effort to attend ER, hardly cosying up :rolleyes:

I've made a considerable effort to attend Ibrox and Dumbarton this season as well as ER on.countless ocassions in the past and neve had, nor expected a thanks or an applause.

It's patronising nonsense and I doubt Aberdeen, fa comparable distance to Stranraer, will get a round of applause in a few weeks.

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 05:01 PM

aye, Paul Cairney is a big reason we got relegated...I thought I had heard them all. Thats why I picked you up on it.

No one would argue about the broader point that you have now made - but I think we have had 100s of threads about that chat.

ginger_rice
27-08-2015, 05:03 PM

You're right most of the population down there are sevco fans, I've been in the wee Stranraer club a few times and TBH they are very welcoming bunch took a bit of a ribbing about being a Hibby though!

Andy74
27-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Most of them actually spent most of their time in the top half of the SPL, I'd take that now.

O'Rourke3
27-08-2015, 05:15 PM
I didn't clap either time and was a wee bit surprised he got the applause he did - noted that in an update I was doing at the time. I do seem to think when we do give any ex player real abuse or a hard time it's invariably them that gets the last minute winner or equaliser. Maybe we should applaud all the away teams :dunno:

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2015, 05:18 PM

No tin hat needed.

Complete drivel, a decent player who always gave 110% for the jersey. As I said on Facebook after the game last night, players must hate playing for us.

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2015, 05:20 PM

It did have 8 or 9 awful footballers but he wasn't one of them.

Andy74
27-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Just checked the team that drew 2-2 with Celtic when Cairney scored. I reckon its better as a team than the current one. We do obviously have some great potential with the young midfield players and Cummings, however, but i'd take this team when fit as they largely were on that day to win.

01 Williams
02 Clancy
04 Hanlon
06 McPake
18 Maybury
07 Deegan
08 Claros
11 Cairney
14 Wotherspoon
09 Griffiths
10 Doyle

SunshineOnLeith
27-08-2015, 05:24 PM

No tin hat needed.

I'm more concerned by the people that abuse our own players than I am those who acknowledge a returning player who gave his all for us.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Just checked the team that drew 2-2 with Celtic when Cairney scored. I reckon its better as a team than the current one. We do obviously have some great potential with the young midfield players and Cummings, however, but i'd take this team when fit as they largely were on that day to win.

01 Williams
02 Clancy
04 Hanlon
06 McPake
18 Maybury
07 Deegan
08 Claros
11 Cairney
14 Wotherspoon
09 Griffiths
10 Doyle

Take Griff out that team and it's nothing.

muzzhfc
27-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Complete drivel, a decent player who always gave 110% for the jersey. As I said on Facebook after the game last night, players must hate playing for us.

I agree. Caurney, while not a world beater, was a decent player who gave it his best with us. He had massive injury problems (sounds familiar) which kept him out of being part of the squad that got us in this mess. If we are going to blame people for it; let's start with Petrie (done), butcher (done), fenlon (done), calderwood (done), yogi (done) & Collins (done). There's a lot more who are more deserving of slating than cairney. All in my opinion of course

Kojock
27-08-2015, 05:33 PM
I've made a considerable effort to attend Ibrox and Dumbarton this season as well as ER on.countless ocassions in the past and neve had, nor expected a thanks or an applause.

It's patronising nonsense and I doubt Aberdeen, fa comparable distance to Stranraer, will get a round of applause in a few weeks.

I don't think I was being patronising by applauding last night. Aberdeen fans will come down expecting to see their team win and see them play some decent football into the bargain. Stranraer fans travelled in the vain hope that by parking the bus they could hit us on the break and cause an upset with a team of part timers.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Take Griff out that team and it's nothing.Well yes because then it is 10 players. Add another decent striker and it is still a decent team that finished 7th.

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 05:45 PM
What's your outburst all about? If you object - don't applaud. Just don't question others for doing so.

I didn't, i gave him a big ****ing booing for being a opposition player who was trying to beat the team i support, I will keep my applause for Hibs players, and every opposition player that comes to ER will get boo'ed and heckled from me.

This cosy in with away supporters and players is cringing, why did the club not welcome the Rangers to ER, treat them all the same surely, support Hibs, not the opposition players trying to beat us.

ScapeGoat
27-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Moi?

emerald green
27-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Why have Hibs started doing this? i.e. thanking and announcing the numbers of away fans attending. Do Hibs fans get thanked at grounds we attend?

It seems patronising to me. Almost like saying the crowd wasn't too great today, but it was no thanks to your s*** wee support - all 118 of you (or whatever).

As far as Cairney (or any other ex-player) is concerned, he is a member of the opposition and should be treated as such. No special treatment whatsoever should be shown.

ER an intimidating atmosphere? Aye right.

bigwheel
27-08-2015, 05:49 PM
I didn't, i gave him a big ****ingbooing for being a opposition player who was trying to beat the team i support, I will keep my applause for Hibs players, and every opposition player that comes to ER will get boo'ed and heckled from me.

This cosy in with away supporters and players is cringing, why did the club not welcome the Rangers to ER, treat them all the same surely, support Hibs, not the opposition players trying to beat us.

it's your choice...but I'm not expecting a "opposition boos" thread...each to their own. I happen to like respecting former players, rather than booing them when they trot of the pitch. And as for Stranraer fans, these are people who have chosen their local team rather than the old firm. They get my respect for that alone.

If we had started the season well and yesterday were winning 4 or 5 nil, I suggest that this thread wouldn't have appeared, these things frustrate some people, because it's not going well on the park.

marinello59
27-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Why have Hibs started doing this? i.e. thanking and announcing the numbers of away fans attending. Do Hibs fans get thanked at grounds we attend?

It seems patronising to me. Almost like saying the crowd wasn't too great today, but it was no thanks to your s*** wee support - all 118 of you (or whatever).

As far as Cairney (or any other ex-player) is concerned, he is a member of the opposition and should be treated as such. No special treatment whatsoever should be shown.

ER an intimidating atmosphere? Aye right.

From memory Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Motherwell thank the Away fans. And my memory is cr@p so there must be others. :greengrin

emerald green
27-08-2015, 05:55 PM
From memory Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Motherwell thank the Away fans. And my memory is cr@p so there must be others. :greengrin

OK thanks for the info. I admit I don't go to many away matches these days. Is this a fairly recent thing then?

I certainly don't recall it ever happening in days gone bye. My memory will be worse than yours. :greengrin

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 05:58 PM

Sorry but you can only give 100%.

If you think he gave his all then that's fair enough. :aok:

TheCabbage
27-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Seem to remember wee scored a fair few goals from corners taken by Paul Cairney when he manages to stay fit

Sir David Gray
27-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I thought it was very strange to see Cairney getting a round of applause last night - didn't understand it at all.

It was as if we were applauding a legend.

IberianHibernian
27-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Away fans . Think we should do more to attract more away fans to ER . Improves atmosphere and obviously means more money for us . Recently we`ve been welcoming away clubs on our website - should it not be done on the away club`s website along with ticket info etc ? And Stenhousemuir`s idea of cut price tickets for away season ticketholders might not be a bad one . In the league we play all the teams twice at ER - what about away fans getting a discount ( or free pie / programme ..) for second game at ER if they have ticket stub for first game and ID / season ticket ? Or maybe some local company might want to sponsor catering for away fans ( would get good publicity in other towns in Scotland ) . All these things might mean a better deal for Hibs fans at away games too and certainly wouldn`t affect the team - if it means 300 Alloa fans coming instead of 200 they`ll still be outnumbered massively and I`ve always thought club should have offers ( groups , unnumbered seats etc ) in South for home fans to make sure away fans are drowned out . Obviously none of these ideas apply to Rangers matches .
Cairney - limited player who always gave his all and always spoke well of us ( after cup win against Hearts for example ) and left some good memories - goal at Parkhead or cracker against Killie in late 2013 for example .
When we signed Cairney he played well for a few months and many folk used him as an example of all the " gems " that are available in the lower divisions ( sadly now our division ) when in fact he`s probably an example that in fact there are not many players who will make step up and impress consistently especially if they`re already well into their twenties .

Lago
27-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Be interesting to see what kind of reception super Leigh would get if he came back with Celtic.

Peevemor
27-08-2015, 06:28 PM
I liked Cairney who weighed in with a good few assists IIRC. Our form dipped when he was out injured.

liamh2202
27-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Be interesting to see what kind of reception super Leigh would get if he came back with Celtic.

The same as Scott brown from me... No special actions or abuse during the game but always give him a clap if subbed or at the end of the game as he has aknowlaged the home support on a few occasions after the game

yekimevol
27-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Ive actually been told that Cairney was looking like some player before he got his injury in his last season with us and the he really got his act together; really slimmed down got a few extra steps in his pace and looked dangerous.

Pretty gutted we never got to see that version of him.

3pm
27-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Cairney's problem wasn't a baw. It was bevvy!!

Jonnyboy
27-08-2015, 06:36 PM
I didn't clap Cairney off, he doesn't play for us now.

I clapped when the crowd total was announced, to acknowledge the 5000 or so that could be ersed turning up to support Hibs

Biggest disappointment for me was that the lad who clapped and booed at the same time re Scott Allan, was one of those who never bothered to turn up :wink:

bigstu
27-08-2015, 07:10 PM

No tin hat needed.

There is nothing wrong with showing an ex player respect. Surely we want one & all to leave Hibs with positive thoughts & feelings towards the club. Spread the word of what a great club Hibs is, will help us gain players & fans in the future.

HibsNutter
27-08-2015, 07:22 PM
I doubt he received a warmer ovation whilst he played for us.

Brightside
27-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Most of them actually spent most of their time in the top half of the SPL, I'd take that now.

As a said i think Fenlon did amazing looking back when you see what he had to play with. Don't get me wrong i didn't enjoy the football but he had us safe..

SMAXXA
27-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Why anyone would have an issue about an ex player clearly trying to make a living and finding himself down the leagues is very sad imo. I get when players leave and go onto better and bigger clubs (they are out there byw) yet we seen hell bent on slating anyone associated with us for the last few years and btw no one put a gun to their head and said you need to be an icon or even good that's the risk clubs take with players some will work out some won't but let's not get personal and resort to none or a negative welcome back to the club that by the way they signed for thinking they were going places the club and the player

3pm
27-08-2015, 07:29 PM

01 Williams
02 Clancy
04 Hanlon
06 McPake
18 Maybury
07 Deegan
08 Claros
11 Cairney
14 Wotherspoon
09 Griffiths
10 Doyle

Better forwards. Only Claros would get in last night's team. Fontaine over McPake for me. Williams better.

Full backs? Maybury's best days behind him but was OK. Clancy? Not sure.

I think it'd be close. The Celtic team might win because of the forwards.

It won't be a classic though.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 07:32 PM

01 Williams
02 Clancy
04 Hanlon
06 McPake
18 Maybury
07 Deegan
08 Claros
11 Cairney
14 Wotherspoon
09 Griffiths
10 Doyle

Only Sparky and arguably the goalie would get a game now.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 07:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with showing an ex player respect. Surely we want one & all to leave Hibs with positive thoughts & feelings towards the club. Spread the word of what a great club Hibs is, will help us gain players & fans in the future.

Nah we want them to think we are complete obnoxious clowns who hate both current and former players.:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 07:36 PM
well i'l applaud those fans that applauded wee cairney off the park :agree: it IS possible to be a football fan as well as a hibs fan at the same time :clapper: why be so bitter

p.s. i did NOT applaud SA on to the park v Montrose, or even his warm up...but i DID applaud his goal :greengrin

Pretty Boy
27-08-2015, 07:39 PM

That being the case is the argument Fenlon was/is a better manager than Stubbs?

If he had 9 players who wouldn't get a game in our current team that is huffing and pufing against utter dross drawing at Celtic Park and comfortable in the then SPL surely that must be right.

Carheenlea
27-08-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't really see the big problem with a few fans acknowledging a former player. He is far from a great, but perhaps there was some sympathy towards him as he was well out of shape and playing part time football.

tamig
27-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I didn't, i gave him a big ****ing booing for being a opposition player who was trying to beat the team i support, I will keep my applause for Hibs players, and every opposition player that comes to ER will get boo'ed and heckled from me.

Lol 😃

Bishop Hibee
27-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Agree with the OP completely.

Beefster
27-08-2015, 07:47 PM
I don't really see the big problem with a few fans acknowledging a former player. He is far from a great, but perhaps there was some sympathy towards him as he was well out of shape and playing part time football.

I feel far sorrier for him being patronised by the Hibs support than I do for him being a fat git who hasn't taken advantage of his career opportunities.

Carheenlea
27-08-2015, 07:49 PM
I feel far sorrier for him being patronised by the Hibs support than I do for him being a fat git who hasn't taken advantage of his career opportunities.

Did he not have some medical problem that contributed to that though?

Andy74
27-08-2015, 07:51 PM

If he had 9 players who wouldn't get a game in our current team that is huffing and pufing against utter dross drawing at Celtic Park and comfortable in the then SPL surely that must be right.

I think a little of that but mainly folk totally underestimating how decent the likes of Claros, Doyle and Deegan were.

The end position didn't reflect it but we spent considerably more time in the top half of the SPL with that team than we did the bottom.

Of course when we lost some of those players the likes of Tudor Jones and Collins were a step down.

Beefster
27-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Did he not have some medical problem that contributed to that though?

IIRC it was rumoured that he had Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's but was categorically denied by the man himself.

tamig
27-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I think a little of that but mainly folk totally underestimating how decent the likes of Claros, Doyle and Deegan were.

The end position didn't reflect it but we spent considerably more time in the top half of the SPL with that team than we did the bottom.

Of course when we lost some of those players the likes of Tudor Jones and Collins were a step down.

Deegan was an average journeyman. Did a job for half a season and think he was badly affected by that assault. I don't think he'd get a sniff of the starting eleven now - even the pre-assault Deegan.

Beefster
27-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Claros and Doyle, yes. Deegan was mediocre. Better than Tudor Jones, mind you.

Forza Fred
27-08-2015, 08:05 PM
some applause for a former player and friendly acknowledgement of Stranraer fans - thats not about "being soft" just some football respect..

We don't have to hate and seethe for the sake of it:confused:

Vault Boy
27-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I agree with the OP in so far as some of the abuse that our own players get is simply ludicrous. That's all I agree with, however.

Stuarty27
27-08-2015, 08:08 PM
He was murder!

One of the reasons we are in this mess now.

I reckon he would be on a minimum of 1500 per week at Hibs. Over a two year contract that equates to £156,000 over his contract. Which is roughly 4,000 season tickets.

The guy was a waster and a joke of a signing. Alongside Craig, Nelson Mcgivern, Maybury and Collins etc, these muppets should never be welcomed back at Easter Road, never mind clapped onto the park.

Sir David Gray
27-08-2015, 08:16 PM

01 Williams
02 Clancy
04 Hanlon
06 McPake
18 Maybury
07 Deegan
08 Claros
11 Cairney
14 Wotherspoon
09 Griffiths
10 Doyle

I would take Williams, Griffiths, Claros and probably Doyle from that team.

Clancy and McPake were/are too injury prone, Maybury was too old and Deegan, Cairney and Wotherspoon were not great at all for us.

Hiber-nation
27-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Fenlon said we were too nice as a club and got the away changing room painted a horrible shade of dark green.

Well that worked, eh?

Pretty Boy
27-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Fenlon said we were too nice as a club and got the away changing room painted a horrible shade of dark green.

Well that worked, eh?

In fairness we did adopt it as our kit colour.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2015, 08:45 PM

No tin hat needed.

I was brought up with this at Liverpool, including the clapping of the opposition keeper at the Kop end so really see no problem with it.

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Don't agree, Williams and Doyle in for me as well.

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I would take Williams, Griffiths, Claros and probably Doyle from that team.

Clancy and McPake were/are too injury prone, Maybury was too old and Deegan, Cairney and Wotherspoon were not great at all for us.

Clancy was utter crap.

Real Emerald
27-08-2015, 08:56 PM

No tin hat needed.

It is quite a thing to follow your club from Stranraer to Leith on a Wednesday evening during the festival but to applaud the 146 of them is a joke unless we get their names read out. It really feels like the big time just now, next we'll be announcing Joe Bloggs from Cowdenbeath won best garden in Britain award at the weekend...........or maybe not.

keep the faith
27-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Applauding a former player now lost in the Lower leagues. Applauding fans of provincial clubs traveling miles to support their team.
This is in line with the change of attitude at ER and making it a better place to be. It's further distancing from the fenlon and butcher era of negative football and negative fans.
It's Hibs Class. Long may it continue.

Tyler Durden
27-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Andy, you repeat this often but it's not true. Fenlons teams did not spend more time top half, it's just not true! Please stop with this myth.

Stubbs has identified and signed players who are assets to Hibs. People with re-sale value. Fenlon never came close to this. To compare the job Stubbs has, to Fenlons is ridiculous.

The team that got relegated was mainly due to Fenlons signings. And no, they did not spend more time in the top half

erin go bragh
27-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I never even noticed Cairney going off .( which is a surprise ) Tell you what tho , nae tatties have fell of his plate . Couldnie believe the size of him . And before all the pc folk start moaning . I know he's got an over active fridge door :)

GGTTH

Tyler Durden
27-08-2015, 09:10 PM
As a said i think Fenlon did amazing looking back when you see what he had to play with. Don't get me wrong i didn't enjoy the football but he had us safe..

What he had to play with? The players he signed you mean?

Clancy, Mullen and Maybury for right back.

Taiwo, Claros, Robertson, OTJ, Thomson, Deegan for centre midfield.

Kuji, Collins, Vine, O'Donovan for forwards

Just a taster of Fenlons squads there

3pm
27-08-2015, 09:29 PM
It is true.

Spend a wee bit time looking at time spent in each league position. In taking away the first season when he took the Calderwood team clear of relegation.

The next season and a bit we spent the amount of weeks in each of the following:

1st: 3
2nd: 8
3rd:

You post some good stuff but this argument is daft.

Andy74
27-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Andy, you repeat this often but it's not true. Fenlons teams did not spend more time top half, it's just not true! Please stop with this myth.

Stubbs has identified and signed players who are assets to Hibs. People with re-sale value. Fenlon never came close to this. To compare the job Stubbs has, to Fenlons is ridiculous.

The team that got relegated was mainly due to Fenlons signings. And no, they did not spend more time in the top half

It is true.

Spend a wee bit time looking at time spent in each league position. In taking away the first season when he took the Calderwood team clear of relegation.

The next season and a bit we spent the amount of weeks in each of the following:

3rd: 0
4th: 11
5th: 7
6th: 6
7th: 2
8th: 3
9th: 6
10th: 1
11th: 0
12th: 2

It's not even close. 35 in top 6 and 14 in bottom.

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Not really I think the current Hibs team would do ok n the top league.

Real Emerald
27-08-2015, 09:31 PM

100% agree with this. Fenlon has to take the vast majority of blame for where we are today. If Griffiths hadn't been there we would've been in this division two years ago. He was a disaster for Hibs, a backward step in a day and age when sport is looking at all new technologies. Nice guy but has to take the biggest blame for where we are now. It was a loaded gun that Fenlon created but the buffoon Butcher was the one who finally pulled the trigger. Having said that, what I would give for a Griffiths/Doyle font two just now.

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:32 PM

No tin hat needed.

Sorry boss, you're wrong in my view - this is everything that football should be (and has lost...mostly).

(plus I thought I was applauding Peter Cormack...but he apparently looks fitter than PC)

JimBHibees
27-08-2015, 09:32 PM
I was brought up with this at Liverpool, including the clapping of the opposition keeper at the Kop end so really see no problem with it.

Yep it's called class.

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Yep it's called class.

:top marks

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:38 PM
While we're at it. What was all the applause for the half-time draw, or on a Saturday for the kids playing on the pitch - hardly Hibs legends :rolleyes:

SaulGoodman
27-08-2015, 09:40 PM
While we're at it. What was all the applause for the half-time draw, or on a Saturday for the kids playing on the pitch - hardly Hibs legends :rolleyes:

I'd say the people doing the half time draw on Wednesday were legends :wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
27-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Cairney always gave 100%.....deserved an applause imo

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:46 PM

Damn! you're putting indisputable facts in the way of an argument here. You do realise this is an MB :furious:

SaulGoodman
27-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Damn! you're putting indisputable facts in the way of an argument here. You do realise this is an MB :furious:

Sorry I will try to amend this.

Every morning when I walk the dog an old work colleague of mine will stop and we'll have a chat.

Although now I think about it, he doesn't work for the company I work for now so why should I talk to him?

In fact I'm going to boo him tomorrow morning.

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Sorry I will try to amend this.

Every morning when I walk the dog an old work colleague of mine will stop and we'll have a chat.

Although now I think about it, he doesn't work for the company I work for now so why should I talk to him?

In fact I'm going to boo him tomorrow morning.

That's the spirit :wink:

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 09:56 PM

And he didn't get as good an applause as PC.

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 09:57 PM
That's the spirit :wink:

Took the words right out my mouth. :aok:

SaulGoodman
27-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Good point, actually.

I guess it's maybe because it was half time, people were talking or away at the kiosks/smoking bit/ toilet.

But I still see what you're saying

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Who headbutted Des Bremner (see recent Bristol City thread) :tsk tsk:

Our priorities for applauding are all wrong although we seem to be ok on booing... currently

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Good point, actually.

I guess it's maybe because it was half time, people were talking or away at the kiosks/smoking bit/ toilet.

But I still see what you're saying

Sure his name was mentioned over the tannoy at HT as well to say he was doing the HT draw and whoever had a wee chat with him about the game on the pitch, it went by with a few claps from our fans, the man is a Hibs legend and was hardly noticed by the 4500 fans that would still be at there seats at HT, PC gets a standing ovation, something not right there surely.

hibs4life
27-08-2015, 10:27 PM

No tin hat needed.

I think the new practice of announcing the away crowd and thanking them for attending is a nice touch, especially for the smaller teams. We as football fans should then applaud them for supporting their team.
Ibrox makes it uncomfortable for away teams and fans. Should we follow, follow their example?

tamig
27-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Sure his name was mentioned over the tannoy at HT as well to say he was doing the HT draw and whoever had a wee chat with him about the game on the pitch, it went by with a few claps from our fans, the man is a Hibs legend and was hardly noticed by the 4500 fans that would still be at there seats at HT, PC gets a standing ovation, something not right there surely.

Ffs, your OP was bad enough. You're being ridiculous now.

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Just realised Paul Cairney and Peter Cormack have the same initials...'sigh'. Off to boo myself :loser:

(no wonder it wasn't making sense!)

FranckSuzy
27-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Maybe you should take your own advice and in this case, just not respond if you disagree :aok:

tamig
27-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Maybe you should take your own advice and in this case, just not respond if you disagree :aok:

Ok miss.

FranckSuzy
27-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Ok miss.

Ms actually :wink:

You have been known to tell others that their opinion is wrong or they are not entitled to it though, just because you don't agree with it....

tamig
27-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Ms actually :wink:

You have been known to tell others that their opinion is wrong or they are not entitled to it though, just because you don't agree with it....

If I don't agree with something and the poster follows up with something I think is even more ridiculous then I'll say so. All about opinions and debate. It would be a dull board if the only folk who posted on a thread were those who shared the OPs sentiments. Can't recall me ever saying someone wasn't entitled to their opinion though.

FranckSuzy
27-08-2015, 10:50 PM
If I don't agree with something and the poster follows up with something I think is even more ridiculous then I'll say so. All about opinions and debate. It would be a dull board if the only folk who posted on a thread were those who shared the OPs sentiments. Can't recall me ever saying someone wasn't entitled to their opinion though.

Not looking for an argument but I can so I'll just leave it there :greengrin

bookert
27-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Agree with the OP completely.

I don't, when mcfadden was applauded off two seasons ago, he was by a country mile the best player on the park. That's why I applauded him.

oldbutdim
27-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Paul and his missus are close friends of my son and his missus.

Although a Celtc fan, Paul was quickly 'converted' into being a Hibee and would have felt some pride that (some) Hibs fans acknowledged with applause his previous efforts despite injury problems.

He is actually a really nice bloke, and won't say no to anyone.

Particularly if they have donuts.

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 11:03 PM

You could always stick me on ignore if you don't like what I'm saying, who got the bigger applause last night, the Hibs legend at HT or Paul Cairney.

Remember to nip down on Saturday and make sure the Raith subs are needing a blanket or some bovril, you seem a nice guy/lassie. :aok:

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Who headbutted Des Bremner (see recent Bristol City thread) :tsk tsk:

Our priorities for applauding are all wrong although we seem to be ok on booing... currently

Can't say i have heard much booing "currently" at Hibs games, plenty applause for Hibs players though, fans were great before during and after with them at Ipox, and they got a good applause at the end of the game last night, infact it was even better than the one PC got, well done Hibs fans. :aok:

silverhibee
27-08-2015, 11:17 PM
I think the new practice of announcing the away crowd and thanking them for attending is a nice touch, especially for the smaller teams. We as football fans should then applaud them for supporting their team.
Ibrox makes it uncomfortable for away teams and fans. Should we follow, follow their example?

Surely if we are being nice then we should be doing it for all away clubs that come to ER, smaller or bigger clubs, we can't just pick and choose who we want to welcome.

oldbutdim
27-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Surely if we are being nice then we should be doing it for all away clubs that come to ER, smaller or bigger clubs, we can't just pick and choose who we want to welcome.

Not meaning to interject............ but that is clearly insane.

:wink:

hibbiedon
28-08-2015, 05:14 AM

I will always respect fans who support their local club, I Sussex out along time ago that without opposition there would be no game, the dominance by the bigot brothers is caused by people who do not follow their local club but prefer to follow either the green Huns or the blue bhoys. So respect to anyone but them

Hiber-nation
28-08-2015, 06:12 AM
In fairness we did adopt it as our kit colour.

Very true!

Absolutely rotten thread. And the bit about Fenlon being a decent manager is almost as daft.

I'd still applaud him if he came back though :wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Paul and his missus are close friends of my son and his missus.

Although a Celtc fan, Paul was quickly 'converted' into being a Hibee and would have felt some pride that (some) Hibs fans acknowledged with applause his previous efforts despite injury problems.

He is actually a really nice bloke, and won't say no to anyone.

Particularly if they have donuts.

:faf:

flash
28-08-2015, 06:44 AM
It was just nice to see Cairney make it past half time without getting taken off.

Beefster
28-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Cairney always gave 100%.....deserved an applause imo

He did give 100% in games. It's just a pity that that meant that he was blowing out his arse before half-time so he probably wasn't giving 100% elsewhere. I've nothing against Cairney but he's just another player, in a long list, who came to Hibs and didn't deliver to his potential.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2015, 06:58 AM
He was murder!

One of the reasons we are in this mess now.

I reckon he would be on a minimum of 1500 per week at Hibs. Over a two year contract that equates to £156,000 over his contract. Which is roughly 4,000 season tickets.

The guy was a waster and a joke of a signing. Alongside Craig, Nelson Mcgivern, Maybury and Collins etc, these muppets should never be welcomed back at Easter Road, never mind clapped onto the park.Calling Maybury a joke makes you look daft, guy was supposed to be a backup but ended up playing a lot of games and rarely letting us down. People (yourself included) never got over the fact he played for Hearts. Embarrassing really to call a guy who played in the champions league for Leeds, over 400 career games and 10 ROI caps not to mention coached our young players and attended every U20s game to coach/support the boys during his 2 years here a joke. Done a lot ****ing more for Hibs than you and I don't see what he has done at all to not be welcome back at ER other than play for Hearts for a few years.

Liam Craig also far from a joke but after reading countless ignorant and quite frankly wrong posts from you about him in the past there is no use arguing.

matty_f
28-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Calling Maybury a joke makes you look daft, guy was supposed to be a backup but ended up playing a lot of games and rarely letting us down. People (yourself included) never got over the fact he played for Hearts. Embarrassing really to call a guy who played in the champions league for Leeds, over 400 career games and 10 ROI caps not to mention coached our young players and attended every U20s game to coach/support the boys during his 2 years here a joke. Done a lot ****ing more for Hibs than you and I don't see what he has done at all to not be welcome back at ER other than play for Hearts for a few years.

Liam Craig also far from a joke but after reading countless ignorant and quite frankly wrong posts from you about him in the past there is no use arguing.

We will be lucky to get a better post than this on this forum today. :agree:

Onceinawhile
28-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Responsible for possibly the worst individual performance I've ever seen from a Hibs player (v Falkirk in the semi final 2013). He had a good range of passes and loved a nutmeg, but was bang average. I'd have given him a clap if I'd been there.

Are there any Raith players on Saturday that I can't clap?

Craig_HFC
28-08-2015, 07:29 AM
As far as I'm concerned; we shouldn't want any away fans, no matter who we're playing, to enjoy their trip to Easter Road.

Beefster
28-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Responsible for possibly the worst individual performance I've ever seen from a Hibs player (v Falkirk in the semi final 2013). He had a good range of passes and loved a nutmeg, but was bang average. I'd have given him a clap if I'd been there.

Are there any Raith players on Saturday that I can't clap?

John Daly?

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2015, 07:32 AM

Are there any Raith players on Saturday that I can't clap?I actually think Clancy was worse that day. Even when we were level/winning he had no idea what the **** he was doing.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I actually think Clancy was worse that day. Even when we were level/winning he had no idea what the **** he was doing.

I'll see your Clancy and raise you Robertson! :wink:

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2015, 07:42 AM
I'll see your Clancy and raise you Robertson! :wink:Dunno. Was a few bad ones but Clancy was especially awful, even admitted it on twitter IIRC.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Dunno. Was a few bad ones but Clancy was especially awful, even admitted it on twitter IIRC.

Robbo hooked after 32 mins.....anyway, you're right - you could pick almost any from that first half team...

Famous Fiver
28-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Clapping Taliban out in force on here it seems.

I'll clap who I want when I want.

Now, away back to your own wee world all you bullies.

Just Alf
28-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Calling Maybury a joke makes you look daft, guy was supposed to be a backup but ended up playing a lot of games and rarely letting us down. People (yourself included) never got over the fact he played for Hearts. Embarrassing really to call a guy who played in the champions league for Leeds, over 400 career games and 10 ROI caps not to mention coached our young players and attended every U20s game to coach/support the boys during his 2 years here a joke. Done a lot ****ing more for Hibs than you and I don't see what he has done at all to not be welcome back at ER other than play for Hearts for a few years.

:top marks

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 07:51 AM

Agree 100% some folk just can't see past the colour of a once worn shirt.

Pretty Boy
28-08-2015, 09:53 AM

Spot on.

Maybury was an excellent professional whilst at Hibs which is more than can be said for a few in that team.

basehibby
28-08-2015, 10:44 AM

:top marks Exactly!

The negativity and lack of sportsmanship displayed in the OP is dire. I think a lot of people get put off coming to football (in general - not just Hibs) because of this kind of miserable curmudgeonly attitude.

WeeRussell
28-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Because they're a horrible, detestable shower of absolute **** :confused:

Tyler Durden
28-08-2015, 12:08 PM
It is true.

3rd: 0
4th: 11
5th: 7
6th: 6
7th: 2
8th: 3
9th: 6
10th: 1
11th: 0
12th: 2

It's not even close. 35 in top 6 and 14 in bottom.

Why would we exclude the first 6 months? You want to exclude the first 6 months of Fenlon's reign but judge Stubbs on the first 10 months of his time?

Aside from that, the average time spent in a position is absolutely irrelevant. If Stubbs spent 8 months in 1st place this year but we finished 4th, would anyone be happy with that?

You've made the point a few times about Stubbs getting an easy ride, as apparently people weren't happy when we were mid table or even in Europe under Yogi. IMO every manager is measured against pretty reasonable objectives. Fenlon was a disaster and was rightly slated by the support. Stubbs was rightly criticised after the semi final last year and the Dumbarton game for example. If we fail to win promotion he will be criticised again and rightly so. Hibs fans are pretty fair IMO.

Finally, to say that Fenlon "took the Calderwood team away from relegation"......again we've covered this several times but it's a nonsense! He finished 2nd bottom of the league and signed absolute garbage. He talked about changing the culture but didn't even succeed at that whilst getting the worst results in the clubs history.

Andy74
28-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Why would we exclude the first 6 months? You want to exclude the first 6 months of Fenlon's reign but judge Stubbs on the first 10 months of his time?

Aside from that, the average time spent in a position is absolutely irrelevant. If Stubbs spent 8 months in 1st place this year but we finished 4th, would anyone be happy with that?

You've made the point a few times about Stubbs getting an easy ride, as apparently people weren't happy when we were mid table or even in Europe under Yogi. IMO every manager is measured against pretty reasonable objectives. Fenlon was a disaster and was rightly slated by the support. Stubbs was rightly criticised after the semi final last year and the Dumbarton game for example. If we fail to win promotion he will be criticised again and rightly so. Hibs fans are pretty fair IMO.

Finally, to say that Fenlon "took the Calderwood team away from relegation"......again we've covered this several times but it's a nonsense! He finished 2nd bottom of the league and signed absolute garbage. He talked about changing the culture but didn't even succeed at that whilst getting the worst results in the clubs history.

I think with what Calderwood left and where we were its revisionism at its best to say we were anything other than relegation candidates.

We had just lost at home to Dunfermline and teams around us had games in hand so we were in trouble.

That was turned around to the extent we went from losing to them at home to beating them easily at home at the end of the season.

I take those months out because I don't think from the position we were in top six was possible.

From when he had his own players in, largely, from the next season the numbers I showed illustrate that this perception we always kicked about bottom half under Fenlon is very wrong. We spent most of our time top half.

Of course we dipped at the wrong time. We got cheated out of two games just before the split mind you.

We then had or best bottom six results that we've had and although it's not a fair comparison we ended with more points than some top six teams.

Getting to two cup finals, when we have been in three I think in my supporting lifetime was also an achievement regardless of results there.

Given our recent history to count this sort of return as failure is part of the reason we are here.

Tyler Durden
28-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I think with what Calderwood left and where we were its revisionism at its best to say we were anything other than relegation candidates.

We had just lost at home to Dunfermline and teams around us had games in hand so we were in trouble.

That was turned around to the extent we went from losing to them at home to beating them easily at home at the end of the season.

I take those months out because I don't think from the position we were in top six was possible.

From when he had his own players in, largely, from the next season the numbers I showed illustrate that this perception we always kicked about bottom half under Fenlon is very wrong. We spent most of our time top half.

Of course we dipped at the wrong time. We got cheated out of two games just before the split mind you.

We then had or best bottom six results that we've had and although it's not a fair comparison we ended with more points than some top six teams.

Getting to two cup finals, when we have been in three I think in my supporting lifetime was also an achievement regardless of results there.

Given our recent history to count this sort of return as failure is part of the reason we are here.

So Pat Fenlon was a success then? Each to their own.

Pete
28-08-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't mind us welcoming away fans as a club but it has to be done in a fashion that doesn't give the other team the impression that we're soft touches. I like the way we welcome them on our official site and I'd even go as far as Brighton do with posters, lighting and drink containers in their club colours. That's real class.

However, I want them to feel very uncomfortable when they are in their seat and facing the pitch. None of this clapping to aknowledge their attendance or big ups from our announcer. They've already been made welcome and I don't want anything to happen that might subconsciously give their players a boost or make them feel welcome.

stuff clapping opposition players too but I'd make an exception for Paul Cairney. He was always up applauding us with Leigh when he was here and he feels like one of our own. Mind you that's only because his career has kind of faltered a bit and I wouldn't clap him if his team were on a par with hibs.

bighairyfaeleith
29-08-2015, 05:02 AM
Surely this thread is not genuine and is just a hibs.net piss take of itself? surely? No.... **** me