PDA

View Full Version : Champions League draw....

3pm
27-08-2015, 04:06 PM
...just starting for those of you interested.

3pm
27-08-2015, 04:27 PM
This is a joke.

3pm
27-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Malmo getting trips to Madrid and Paris.

BH Hibs
27-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Why were Zenit and PSV seeded in pot 1

Allant1981
27-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Why were Zenit and PSV seeded in pot 1

Did they not win their own league?

Coults1875
27-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Malmo getting trips to Madrid and Paris.

Celtic fan in my work is going home to a devastated child! He promised his boy if Celtic got through and were drawn against Madrid he would take him to both legs.

GreenLake
27-08-2015, 04:50 PM
The draw is done but when do they assign who plays who on the group midweek match dates?

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Who did Celtic get

3pm
27-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Who did Celtic get

They are in pot 5.

Kato
27-08-2015, 05:07 PM
They are in pot 5.

Otherwise known as the pisspot.

Spike Mandela
27-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Leaving aside my dislike of the Glasgow bigot brothers it is disgraceful that the Champions of Scotland (and other countries) are forced into qualifying rounds whilst teams from England, Italy, Germany and others who haven't had a sniff of being 'Champions' in their own country for years just sail right in.

It is all about money, Sponsorship and big business and is the main reason I have become bored of the Champions League. The group section has absolutely no attraction whatsoever for me and I'd honestly rather watch Dunfermline V St Johnstone or any other crappy Scottish game than this collection of teams with their snouts in the trough.

It gets a bit more interesting at the knockout stage but it's the same old teams all the time and despite the great players on show it has all just become a bit old hat and dull for me.

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Leaving aside my dislike of the Glasgow bigot brothers it is disgraceful that the Champions of Scotland (and other countries) are forced into qualifying rounds whilst teams from England, Italy, Germany and others who haven't had a sniff of being 'Champions' in their own country for years just sail right in.

It is all about money, Sponsorship and big business and is the main reason I have become bored of the Champions League. The group section has absolutely no attraction whatsoever for me and I'd honestly rather watch Dunfermline V St Johnstone or any other crappy Scottish game than this collection of teams with their snouts in the trough.

It gets a bit more interesting at the knockout stage but it's the same old teams all the time and despite the great players on show it has all just become a bit old hat and dull for me.It isn't disgraceful at all, they are pish and don't deserve to be automatically in.

one day maybe...
27-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Get them all in the same pot. Straight knockout that would make it more interesting. Champions league is a farce :rolleyes:

Jim44
27-08-2015, 05:51 PM

It gets a bit more interesting at the knockout stage but it's the same old teams all the time and despite the great players on show it has all just become a bit old hat and dull for me.

I'm not interested in analyzing the teams and their relative abilities but you're right about the money, self interest etc. What I do object to is the misnomer of Champions League.

Hibernia&Alba
27-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Man City get the group of death once again. Juventus, Sevilla and Monchengladbach is a hard group - teams from Italy, Spain and Germany.

patch1875
27-08-2015, 05:58 PM
The whole format needs changed its getting boring now.

liamh2202
27-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Seeding needs to be binned. I understand it at international level to make it the best spectacle possible.. But when money is involved all it does it create an elitist group because the same teams get the prize money every year.. I'm sure if say Celtic for arguments sake got to start seeded in the group stages they could easily plan and compete at that level every year. Its a farce

Sir David Gray
27-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Good draw for Manchester Utd - PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow and Wolfsburg.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Group A: Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmo

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, VfL Wolfsburg

Group C: Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, Astana

Group D: Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, AS Roma, BATE Borisov

Group F: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Dinamo Zagreb

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group H: Zenit St Petersburg, Valencia, Olympique Lyon, Gent

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Group A: Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmo

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, VfL Wolfsburg

Group C: Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, Astana

Group D: Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, AS Roma, BATE Borisov

Group F: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Dinamo Zagreb

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group H: Zenit St Petersburg, Valencia, Olympique Lyon, Gent

Maybe one or two exciting games at the most, in my opinion

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Maybe one or two existing games at the most, in my opinion

you mean exciting ? :greengrin i'l watch the same amount of CL group games that i watch each year....zilch, having said that...i may just watch bayern v arsenal...if i notice it's on the tellybox

Billy Whizz
27-08-2015, 07:48 PM
you mean exciting ? :greengrin i'l watch the same amount of CL group games that i watch each year....zilch, having said that...i may just watch bayern v arsenal...if i notice it's on the tellybox

Typo, thanks for pointing out, me too by the way

Leith Green
27-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Dont know if its just me, but im completely losing interest in the champions league and with mainstream football generally... The money involved now is absolutly ridiculous and the modern day game could not be further away from the what the game was even 20 years ago. I used to watch any game on any channel a while ago, but i find im drifting away from the interest i had for football.. The money being paid to players, and agents is scandalous. So too are the ridiculous transfer fees being paid ..

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Europa League FT FC Midtjylland 1 southampton 0 Agg 2-1

SteveHFC
27-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Dont know if its just me, but im completely losing interest in the champions league and with mainstream football generally... The money involved now is absolutly ridiculous and the modern day game could not be further away from the what the game was even 20 years ago. I used to watch any game on any channel a while ago, but i find im drifting away from the interest i had for football.. The money being paid to players, and agents is scandalous. So too are the ridiculous transfer fees being paid ..

Agreed. I couldn't even be bothered watching the draw earlier. Same teamsm same type of draw.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2015, 08:44 PM
You can pretty much pick the quarter finalists now.

They should just scrap the group stages and invite 8 teams to play a mini tournament starting half way through the season. It's what the big, rich clubs and UEFA want anyway.

Mikey09
27-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Who did Celtic get

They got "Horsed", "Pumped" and "Thur Ersefelt".

Tough one for Sellik...

Nutmegged
27-08-2015, 09:17 PM
It isn't disgraceful at all, they are pish and don't deserve to be automatically in.

As long as its names the Champions League then YES they do, its not called the runners up league or the 3rd/4th place League, its the tournament of Champions

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2015, 09:21 PM

and as if we needed an example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34081920

Manchester City have made an "astonishing" wage offer to winger Kevin de Bruyne, claims Wolfsburg's director of sport Klaus Allofs.

from another source: The Etihad club have been pursuing the Belgian winger all summer and will offer the 24-year-old a deal until 2021 worth £15m per year

whilst there are people in the world starving it's utterly nauseating

Sir David Gray
27-08-2015, 09:30 PM
and as if we needed an example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34081920

Manchester City have made an "astonishing" wage offer to winger Kevin de Bruyne, claims Wolfsburg's director of sport Klaus Allofs.

from another source: The Etihad club have been pursuing the Belgian winger all summer and will offer the 24-year-old a deal until 2021 worth £15m per year

whilst there are people in the world starving it's utterly nauseating

Yep that is actually repulsive - that's around £300,000 a week! In addition to that, it's reported that Manchester City will be signing him on a deal that's reported to be in the region of £60 million then it really is another sign as to how far removed elite football clubs are from reality.

Good luck to you if you can engineer a move that's going to earn you over £1 million every month but it's really wrong.

Pete
27-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Yep that is actually repulsive - that's around £300,000 a week! In addition to that, it's reported that Manchester City will be signing him on a deal that's reported to be in the region of £60 million then it really is another sign as to how far removed elite football clubs are from reality.

Good luck to you if you can engineer a move that's going to earn you over £1 million every month but it's really wrong.

Professional sport has been far removed from reality for decades and it could be argued that football is just catching up.

GreenLake
28-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Barcelona vs Bayer Leverkusen September 29th Nou Camp. Wife has a conference dinner so I get to fly solo. Player zone ticket bought from fcbarcelona.com. Easier than ordering a pizza.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2015, 07:09 AM
As long as its names the Champions League then YES they do, its not called the runners up league or the 3rd/4th place League, its the tournament of ChampionsIf they deserved to be in it they'd qualify instead of getting dumped out by teams with a quarter of their budget every year. It is a tournament for the best teams in Europe, Celtic are far from being one of those.

Bristolhibby
28-08-2015, 07:12 AM
I'm not interested in analyzing the teams and their relative abilities but you're right about the money, self interest etc. What I do object to is the misnomer of Champions League.

It should be renamed the €-pean Cup!

J

Bristolhibby
28-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Is it any wonder with all the money sloshing about that the players (the people we pay to watch) want a bit of that sugar?

Normal behaviour IMO. No point being a martyr if you have the talent and some oligarch owned club wants to give you a guaranteed £60m.

J

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 07:38 AM

I agree, the champions of each league should be straight in, the teams that finish 2nd,3rd & 4th should be playing qualifiers to join them.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 07:38 AM
I agree, the champions of each league should be straight in, the teams that finish 2nd,3rd & 4th should be playing qualifiers to join them.

would that be for all leagues..Wales, Andorra, Lithuania etc??

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 07:43 AM
would that be for all leagues..Wales, Andorra, Lithuania etc??

As daft as it may sound yes, it's called the Champions league so why not, imagine the financial boost for some of those smaller clubs rather than the already massively cash rich clubs.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 07:46 AM
As daft as it may sound yes, it's called the Champions league so why not, imagine the financial boost for some of those smaller clubs rather than the already massively cash rich clubs.

I like the principle, but it's hard to think that the winner of the Welsh league should get in before (say) Real Madrid....In some ways, I think it is fairer now - Celtic are clearly not good enough to mix it with the big boys - so they fail to qualify. As I say though, I do like the principle.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 07:48 AM
I like the principle, but it's hard to think that the winner of the Welsh league should get in before (say) Real Madrid....In some ways, I think it is fairer now - Celtic are clearly not good enough to mix it with the big boys - so they fail to qualify. As I say though, I do like the principle.

Yeah it's a thought of fantasy really but just so fed up with the same tired format every year.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Yeah it's a thought of fantasy really but just so fed up with the same tired format every year.

Agree 100% with that...to be honest, I'd prefer they just all head off and actually have a European league, so we (and other countries) can have a genuine competitive league with the teams that remain. And I'd love Celtic struggling around the lower divisions too :)

PeeJay
28-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Lot of people hung up on the "Champions" wording, but this is from the official history, dating back to 1955:

"The tournament initiated by L'Equipe did not stipulate that the participating teams had to be champions of their country, but they invited clubs who they considered had the most fan appeal."

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/background/index.html#footballs+club+competition

Personally, I'm quite happy with the format

Kato
28-08-2015, 08:10 AM
I like the principle, but it's hard to think that the winner of the Welsh league should get in before (say) Real Madrid....

Because if Real Madrid come second in their League they aren't "Champions" of anything.

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2015, 08:10 AM
The Champions League is the elite club competition in world football, which must surely mean it needs to have the best teams facing off. We can quibble about the name of the competition, but IMO there is no place for the Icelandic or Northern Irish champions at the expense of Real Madrid or Chelsea. Come on, Barcelona v Linfield isn't a contest between Europe's best, is it? Linfield would never even qualify for the Europa League, yet some people say they should be in the Champions League because they won the Northern Irish title, which is but a small step up from a pub league? Call it the European up, or perhaps something else, but as the premier competition in Europe it must be for the best only.

Diclonius
28-08-2015, 08:15 AM
The same teams in the group stages, gorged on their own success, year after year. Boring.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 08:19 AM
The Champions League is the elite club competition in world football, which must surely mean it needs to have the best teams facing off. We can quibble about the name of the competition, but IMO there is no place for the Icelandic or Northern Irish champions at the expense of Real Madrid or Chelsea. Come on, Barcelona v Linfield isn't a contest between Europe's best, is it? Linfield would never even qualify for the Europa League, yet some people say they should be in the Champions League because they won the Northern Irish title, which is but a small step up from a pub league? Call it the European up, or perhaps something else, but as the premier competition in Europe it must be for the best only.

A look through the list of clubs doesn't tell me that the "best" are in it though.

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2015, 08:26 AM
A look through the list of clubs doesn't tell me that the "best" are in it though.

There is always scope to tweak the format to ensure only the best are included, but a champions only competition would actually severely weaken it. Take out Real Madrid and Chelsea then replace them with the champions of Luxembourg and Iceland? Certainly look for the best possible way of ensuring that only the cream of the crop are competing. The likes of Luxembourg's champions just don't belong there.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 09:38 AM
There is always scope to tweak the format to ensure only the best are included, but a champions only competition would actually severely weaken it. Take out Real Madrid and Chelsea then replace them with the champions of Luxembourg and Iceland? Certainly look for the best possible way of ensuring that only the cream of the crop are competing. The likes of Luxembourg's champions just don't belong there.

But surely being champions of your own league and having the opportunity to play on the bigger stage with the associated wealth is the way to spread benefits rather than a handful of super clubs benefitting every year. The current formst has become so elitist. I know it will never happen just a bit of fun trying to think what could be done.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 09:49 AM
But surely being champions of your own league and having the opportunity to play on the bigger stage with the associated wealth is the way to spread benefits rather than a handful of super clubs benefitting every year. The current formst has become so elitist. I know it will never happen just a bit of fun trying to think what could be done.

Mate, if you go down that road (champions only), Liverpool will never be in this competition again :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Mate, if you go down that road (champions only), Liverpool will never be in this competition again :greengrin

Possibly but 5 is a target few will reach. :-) All in my lifetime too, along with the rest of the trophies I've seen them win my Liverpool journey has been fulfilled. Just waiting on the Hibs reaching the same heights then I'll pack in watching footie.

bigwheel
28-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Possibly but 5 is a target few will reach. :-) All in my lifetime too, along with the rest of the trophies I've seen them win my Liverpool journey has been fulfilled. Just waiting on the Hibs reaching the same heights then I'll pack in watching footie.

that my friend will be a longer wait :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2015, 10:52 AM

You're waiting on Hibs to win the Champions League, SH? Are you immortal or something? Just winning the Scottish Cup would be mission accomplished.

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2015, 11:58 AM
You're waiting on Hibs to win the Champions League, SH? Are you immortal or something? Just winning the Scottish Cup would be mission accomplished.

No I'm a realist, any silverware on a regular basis will do,I've seen two league cups in my time watching Hibs, just crave for more.