PDA

View Full Version : Question Bartley

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Any of the ITK guys know why he's not being quoted and if not, do any of you think he may be a wasted signing that doesn't fit into the way Stubbs's team is playing. We seem to be going for the tippy tappy style midfielder and Bartley is not one of those, is he injured or just out of the equation?

Iain G
27-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Any of the ITK guys know why he's not being quoted and if not, do any of you think he may be a wasted signing that doesn't fit into the way Stubbs's team is playing. We seem to be going for the tippy tappy style midfielder and Bartley is not one of those, is he injured or just out of the equation?

He played one game, was on the bench for the other two and we didnt really need to play a defensive midfielder last night.

Eqrly in the season and he will be needed in some games but not in others.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:24 PM
He played one game, was on the bench for the other two and we didnt really need to play a defensive midfielder last night.

Eqrly in the season and he will be needed in some games but not in others.

To me he's the type of player that allows the creative attacking midfielders to do their job without the worry of defending, having a guy sit in front of the 2 CH's balances he team, we all said at the end of last season that hat we missed was a proper DM, we get one and he isn't quoted.

Andy74
27-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Same thing happened with Fonatine when he arrived, we are struggling just now to find a system and players that work. It is a long season and I am sure he will play a decent part.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Same thing happened with Fonatine when he arrived, we are struggling just now to find a system and players that work. It is a long season and I am sure he will play a decent part.

It's starting to look like Stubbs signing policy has been very random with no concept of what system we are going to play, it almost looks like when a half decent player becomes available get him then when we've got them all in, we'll start trying to figure out how to play them all.

As you say, we got Fontaine knowing we had a solid left footed CH, we're now playing with an unbalanced pairing of two lefties, just so as we can fit them in.

hibs0666
27-08-2015, 12:41 PM
It's starting to look like Stubbs signing policy has been very random with no concept of what system we are going to play, it almost looks like when a half decent player becomes available get him then when we've got them all in, we'll start trying to figure out how to play them all.

As you say, we got Fontaine knowing we had a solid left footed CH, we're now playing with an unbalanced pairing of two lefties, just so as we can fit them in.

No it doesn't.

Thecat23
27-08-2015, 12:42 PM
No info but I think he's more a squad player! Can't see him fitting into an our midfield if I'm honest. Could be totally wrong though just will need to wait and see.

scoopyboy
27-08-2015, 12:43 PM

I agree with you Andy but I thought he would have been picked for the game at Ibrox.

J-C
27-08-2015, 12:46 PM
No it doesn't.

No what doesn't? a bit of expansion needed.

SanFranHibs
27-08-2015, 12:56 PM
I have only seen him once but I was quite impressed. I thought he looked composed and strong in his attempt to recover when he did make a mistake. I read someone on here saying they thought him slow. I actually thought he was quite the opposite and looked to move forward quickly but was frustrated by the lack of options and was forced to play laterally.

I certainly thought there was enough shown by him to be hopeful.

Think other posters have really hit the nail when saying Stubbs does not seem to have a settled system. I said so about 3 weeks ago. We seemed to have abandoned the impressive style he introduced starting right back at last season Petrofac encounter with Rangers.

I am hopeful however that once his squad is settled we might see a more consistent style of play in which anyone he has to draft in will just slot in without too much disruption. I think Bartley will slot in pretty well. I know, not a lot of evidence yet to back this up, but I am optimistic.

hibs0666
27-08-2015, 01:43 PM
No what doesn't? a bit of expansion needed.

The signing pattern is quite clear. Stubbs is creating a quite that contains a core of ambitious and talented young players supplemented with more experienced guys like Bartley and Gray. Stubs is creating a squad that is adaptable in the way that it plays and has more strength in depth than we have had previously.

To suggest that he is signing players pretty much at random and on a whim is a bit daft.

J-C
27-08-2015, 03:26 PM
The signing pattern is quite clear. Stubbs is creating a quite that contains a core of ambitious and talented young players supplemented with more experienced guys like Bartley and Gray. Stubs is creating a squad that is adaptable in the way that it plays and has more strength in depth than we have had previously.

To suggest that he is signing players pretty much at random and on a whim is a bit daft.

Looks to me we have 6 midfielders all pretty much similar type ( that's including Stanton and Martin ), 2 right wingers and zero left wingers, a DM he doesn't play, only now just got cover for Gray. At the moment I can't see any adapting from the players, no matter who he plays and where, they seem slow in thinking and play and are short on creativity, at least last year we had decent football to watch, just not enough goals to win certain games.

erin go bragh
27-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I agree with you Andy but I thought he would have been picked for the game at Ibrox.

I said the same to my son Scoops . Thought he would have started in that 1

GGTTH

ekhibee
27-08-2015, 03:47 PM
when we signed Bartley I thought maybe a good part of his job was to protect the playmaker in midfield (at the time it was Allan). Whilst we have a decent midfield, none of them really seem to be playmakers. Just a thought.

itslegaltender
27-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Was expecting to see a big "stopper" in the middle of the park who would win balls and give it to others around them to do something creative. What I saw was someone who had a couple of flashes but looked to be getting shoved off the ball a bit too much for my liking.

whiskyhibby
27-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Was expecting to see a big "stopper" in the middle of the park who would win balls and give it to others around them to do something creative. What I saw was someone who had a couple of flashes but looked to be getting shoved off the ball a bit too much for my liking.

You must have been watching a different player from the Bartley I've been watching.......he looked pretty quick and easily muscled out the opposition when required

Kato
27-08-2015, 04:43 PM
It's starting to look like Stubbs signing policy has been very random with no concept of what system we are going to play.

Phone him up and tell him what to do.

GreenArmyyy!
27-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Not an improvement on Robertson, still disappointed we didn't do more to keep him.

J-C
27-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Phone him up and tell him what to do.

Aye that's right instead of a contructed post lets be a cheeky get on hibs.net again, gets so boring:(

Bishop Hibee
27-08-2015, 07:50 PM
We have a glut of central midfielders. Bartley's done nothing wrong but wouldn't be in my starting 11 with the players we have.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I thought he would sweep in front of the back three or four and would play if fit . Fully expected him to play last Sunday, but as other posters have said it is early days

tamig
27-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I reckon Stubbs is still trying to work out his best starting eleven and formation. There will be a bit of tinkering over the next few games but he has to get it settled soon or the league will be gone.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Said last night to my laddie, I don't see a place for him against teams who are going to sit in and ask us to break them down,which is most of them. Would have expected him to play against Rangers but didn't so bit part if at all for me.

Northernhibee
27-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Looks to me we have 6 midfielders all pretty much similar type ( that's including Stanton and Martin ), 2 right wingers and zero left wingers, a DM he doesn't play, only now just got cover for Gray. At the moment I can't see any adapting from the players, no matter who he plays and where, they seem slow in thinking and play and are short on creativity, at least last year we had decent football to watch, just not enough goals to win certain games.

What a load of rubbish, we're three games into the league campaign. Yet somehow you've picked up everything from just this when the team haven't even had the chance to gel yet.

Quite concerning how eager people have been to stick the boot into Stubbs as soon as the opportunity has arisen.

E10 Rifle
27-08-2015, 09:49 PM

He was on the bench - relax. He has more of a role to play for us this season than some of our recent signings.

Smartie
27-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I can't believe people don't think we need defensive players in games when we are playing against teams we expect to beat.

Even in games that you dominate and are well on top you probably won't get more than 60% possession. So 40% of the time you won't have the ball, and you need to win it back as quickly as possible against these teams.

Fair enough you can't pack your team with defensive players but you need a blend in there. Surely have space for a defensive midfielder who will sit and allow the other midfielders/ full(or wing) backs to bomb forward and even let the centre-halves go marauding forward?

Our biggest problem in midfield has been that we've had too many similar players trying to do the same things at the same time.

I thought Bartley was excellent against Montrose then a bit iffy but not too bad at Dumbarton.

Hopefully he's spent the past few weeks getting fitter (because I'd say he looked pretty rusty in these games and may have been rushed into the team through necessity) and we'll see the best of him in due course.

Alex Trager
28-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Regards last year I think nothing has changed. We were the exact same then.

Totally lacking in creativity and width when teams sit in.

It's simply not good enough